Post a quote me hearty's!

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow of the earth on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

Attrib To Ferdinand Magellan (Spring 1480 – 27 April 1521)

Being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.

Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784) British poet, critic, and lexicographer. His "Dictionary" p. 348. 16 Mar 1759

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They say that the prospect of being hanged in the morning concentrates a man's mind wonderfully: unfortunately, what the mind inevitably concentrates on is that it is in a body that, in the morning, is going to be hanged."

T. Pratchett, Going Postal

Damn, thats sharp!

"You can take glory with you when it's your time to go."

Errol Flynn as General Custer in "They died with their boots on"

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. ~Author Unknown

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them"

Eliphas Levi

Edited by BlackSwanRogue

Like the Black Swan, I am Nocturnal, Ageless and Eternal.

For our Election Day

George Washington is the only president who didn't blame the previous administration for his troubles. ~Author Unknown

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~T.S. Eliot

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America? ~Author Unknown

Mankind will never see an end of trouble until... lovers of wisdom come to hold political power, or the holders of power... become lovers of wisdom. ~Plato, The Republic

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

Some favs:

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways"- John Wayne

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do, doesn't mean its useless"- Thomas Edison

"assassination is the extreme form of censorship"- George Bernard Shaw

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago--never mind how long

precisely--having little or no money in my purse, and nothing

particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a

little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of

driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I

find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp,

drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily

pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every

funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper

hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me

from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking

people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon

as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a

philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly

take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but

knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish

very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Both, great quotes guys

Two others I like. One a Hemingway

"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen"- Ernest Hemingway

"Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves"- Rudyard Kipling

My favorite Hemingway quote - and the inspiration for one of my tattoos: "The world breaks everyone. Afterward, some are stronger at the broken places"

Ah, I just saw that quote recently the other day.

There's a similar one a friend told me, though I cannot find a source for it: Damaged people are dangerous, because they know how to survive.

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. -Ben Franklin

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

You can have Barnabas, the most indecisive man in Collinsport...me, I'm going for Angelique!

"Yes, the night. It always seems to allow one to be more in touch with oneself, with what he truly is."

Barnabas Collins

Damn, thats sharp!

A quote I have long had tacked to my wall

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

-Dwight Eisenhower

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

A quote I have long had tacked to my wall

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

-Dwight Eisenhower

A classic. Somewhere in my cube I have the entire transcript of the speech.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Mae West Quotes

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

She always reminded me of my grandmother

What famous line made this lady fab u lous

Why don't you come on up and see me sometime -- when I've got nothin' on but the radio. Why don't you come up sometime and see me? I'm home every evening.

Come up. I'll tell your fortune. Ah, you can be had.

Mae West had quite a way with words and must have had a part of writing some of the movie scenes

another of her famous jests

When women go wrong, men go right after them.

Edited by Crows Nest Vintage

"Your pieces of eight Ye Wager soon, I shall be sparkin' some Pirate art by the light of the Moon"

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu

I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich. ~Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H

Hee, more quotey goodness

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his."

George S. Patton

"Revolutions always come around again. That's why they are called revolutions"

Terry Pratchett.

"The body is a sacred Garment"

Martha Graham

I really like the Patton one, as it really shows th' salt of the Old Man