The Piratical Needle: Whatcha sewin?

Well, I'm preparing to bite the bullet and actually LEARN how to use a sewing machine, but haven't gotten there yet. So, in the interim, I am just having fun with beads and a wig.

My hair's just too short at present for a decent piratical look, so must improvise...

Then in November it be sewin' fer the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King openin'. Me Star Wars shipmates and I be attendin' a marathon of all three movies on December 16th. I be makin' sure I be comfortable for 10 hours o' movie-watchin'.

All right, this is badly off-topic, but if ye're in the Bay Area by any chance (sorry to say I don't know where ye hail from) there's a fairly large group of LOTR folk planning on dressing up for the premiere.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Pirate Forum...

Ahoy, Penny...Gettin' in a corner over me new Jolly..any chance 'o sewin' the background panels and edges so's I can start cuttin' the design pieces?.......

Let me know what material I should get for the base stuff..obviously needs to be black, I presume?

Can try to look at what Britex has on me lunchies..

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Cracked Carrie,

We're based in the Bay Area. Any interest in joining up with Tales of the Seven Seas?!! We're always happy to welcome new pirates!!

Thankee! Very kind and neighborly of ye!

(Actually, you've already invited me, but you likely don't realize it. We've been corresponding off and on from my work address at a domestic violence shelter... :ph34r:

Pirate Wenches Doin' Good in the World...)

Buttons try me patience. An' for some o' the things I be plannin' to make *cough*NorringtonCoat*cough*, I'll be needin' far too bloody many!!

The one I 'ave already has about 15 or so . An' it actually needs more.

Oh, 'ave we got a Norrington cosplayer 'ere? I daresay we have many Jacks, an' one more once tha vest and shirt're done. Those be needin' many buttons as well. Around 35 fer the coat, 18 fer the vest, 2 fer the shirt and 12 fer 'is trousers. *sighs* I spen' more o' me loot on buttons than on anythin' else.

Captain Wolfy Wench

What am I sewing? Well, I have been beading, beading and more beading (until me eyes fall out o' me sockets) on a beautiful tapestry frock coat that's a burgandy/brown color with a flower type pattern. Been carefully putting one bead on every friggin' flower - and there's lots! Not to mention the fabulous trims already sewn on....

Ok, I admit I've won awards for my beadwork on other costumes....

I may finish the coat by Christmas! In any case when it is done, I'll take a picture of it so you can all see it.

The next project after the coat will be the vest and breeches to go with it.

*If anyone knows where I can buy buttons in quantity, please let me know (is there web site I can go to?), the fabric stores never have enough.

RumbaRue

**Beady eyed gal** :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Mates,

Just order the "slops" pattern from Kannik's Korner. I'll let you know how it is and I'll try to post some pics of the finished product.

BTW, any suggestions about color, material, etc? I be goin' for a 1660's era look. I think white is an authentic color, but I'm a dirty pyrate.

Many thanks,

Broadside

B)

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Oh, 'ave we got a Norrington cosplayer 'ere? I daresay we have many Jacks, an' one more once tha vest and shirt're done. Those be needin' many buttons as well. Around 35 fer the coat, 18 fer the vest, 2 fer the shirt and 12 fer 'is trousers. *sighs* I spen' more o' me loot on buttons than on anythin' else.

Ye know...SOMEONE has to be a nemesis for all these Jacks running about.

*snickering*

An' I think if I tried 'ard enough I could pretend I was an overstuffed British Navy commodore.

Of course, my inner Bird is laughing mightily at this.

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

• 2 weeks later...
Mates,

Just order the "slops" pattern from Kannik's Korner.  I'll let you know how it is and I'll try to post some pics of the finished product. 

BTW, any suggestions about color, material, etc?  I be goin' for a 1660's era look.  I think white is an authentic color, but I'm a dirty pyrate.

Many thanks,

Broadside

B)

I was going to ask about patterns.....I'm looking at shirts first...haven't decided if I'm going to do pants or skirt...read some reviews at a sewing site and some of the "historic" pattern companies didn't rate well for instructions (well, I've sewn long enough to figure it out......or worse) or even fit of pattern pieces.....is there thread for patterns? (NPI)...like........what have you used....how was it?

Should we start one?

Ser Tudor and El Pirata have been "aging" their whites quite successfully elsewhere...have ye seen it? Looks like fun.

Thought this might be fun/useful for all you button fanatics.

Skull and Crossbones Buttons

*makes googly eyes*

Ooooh. Buttons...

*pillage!*

I was going to ask about patterns.....I'm looking at shirts first...haven't decided if I'm going to do pants or skirt...read some reviews at a sewing site and some of the "historic" pattern companies didn't rate well for instructions (well, I've sewn long enough to figure it out......or worse) or even fit of pattern pieces.....is there thread for patterns? (NPI)...like........what have you used....how was it?

Should we start one?

Ser Tudor and El Pirata have been "aging" their whites quite successfully elsewhere...have ye seen it? Looks like fun.

Zephyr,

Sounds like a grand idea. I'm a new hand to the costumin' game, but showin' potential. BTW, sorry 'bout the tardiness of this reply, but me Grandma be in the infirmary. Please pray/think (whatever yer fancy) for her, as she is very ill.

Many Thanks,

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Wel, after much unpacking and fustration, I found my three tubs fll of fabric scraps and my sewing machine again (I hate moving)So now I'm working on two new waistcoats for Pirates in Paradise Festival, a new deess waistcoat to go with my red pirate coat that still neds the trim and buttons finished, and last but not least, I am working on some new ideas for a whole bunch of leather my friends gave to me as a suprise present last weekend. The only piece I can't come up with any pirate ideas for is a huge cowhide with reaally thick fur. It looks like material to make a rodeo clowns chaps out of. It's light brown fur with white patches, but the leather is pretty heavy. Any ideas?