The Piratical Needle: Whatcha sewin?

So am I the only one knee-deep in me piratical fabrics at th' moment? It seems I'll never get t' the bottom of it all, then again, may'aps I don' wanna!

I figured I'd share a table with those that're slavin' over their machines an' see what we're all makin'. Pirate wares are good, others I'm 'appy t' take as well.

My latest bit is addin' some stripes onto me very rough an' tumbled pirate jacket front..it needs 'em as well on the sleeves, but I'm pressed for time as it bloody well is with all sorts o' stuff. Wanna try to touch up a few items for Ojai if at all possible.

I won' even touch Halloween. My bloody word...

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

I'm still working on a sash. but me limit of sewing be buttons and patching. Or patching canvas.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Buttons try me patience. An' for some o' the things I be plannin' to make *cough*NorringtonCoat*cough*, I'll be needin' far too bloody many!!

The one I 'ave already has about 15 or so . An' it actually needs more.

Oh..an' before anyone asks at Ojai...aye, it's meant to not be hemmed! :(

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

Sail Bags, and boat covers.

We are restoring a replica of the Bounty;s boat. The boat itself is ok, just needed some oiling. We are spar varninshing the inside and gun'ls and painting the sweeps.

The boat cover will be machine sewn but we are hand sewing the sail bags.

Bully MacGraw

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Well, it's not exactly fabric, but the next clothing on the list is a black deerskin doublet. Made the breeches a couple of years ago and need the doublet to complete the suit. Using heavyweight muledeerskin, lined with linen, all hand stitched. Then I'm looking at an oilskin Billy Bones coat, but I may contract that out.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Fair Katey finished me ol' pirate coat just in time for fair. Now she plans to get started on a waistcoat. just need to find the right fabric. As for me, I'm working on some new leather projects. ie... belts and vambraces.Saw a set of vambraces in the museum rep catalog. They don't look to difficult. Someone I know ants a set, so I though I would give them a go. If anyone needs patterns for vambraces or moccasins, Tandy leather sells both. For a very reasonable cost too. The Capt.

I just finished making slops.made six of em in the following fabrics;a simple brown w/ white and burgundy stripes wool plaid,thin light green silk,black flannel,red velvet,red/hunter/green and white thick vertical striped vintage silk blend,and sky blue cotton.

made em from a modern baggy shorts pattern.

all unhemmed.

also made some short head scarves using various beautiful vintage silk scraps

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

...Ouch! Friggin' buttons...damn!......

Aye! Two fell off last weekend, but I managed to not lose them somewhere on yer ship...

Miracle o' miracles..

I recently overhauled me entire outfit (the one in me photo is me new one)...Me old one was over 11 years old and just starting to look good...and then half of it disappeared! GRRRR!

:ph34r:

Anyhow...I'm down ter hand stitchin' a tricorn hat out of black leather remnants. Give it a sort of Edward Scissorhands look. It's gettin' there, but leather can be a pain when all ye got is a tiny thimble and a needle.

Me next plan is a "boarding vest"...somethin' fer me to wear in warmer weather, and that can carry me aresenal. I'm teeterin' between leather or a strong canvas...any thoughts?

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Me next plan is a "boarding vest"...somethin' fer me to wear in warmer weather, and that can carry me aresenal. I'm teeterin' between leather or a strong canvas...any thoughts?

I am tryin' to avoid much in the lines of leather in my piraticals, mostly because I'm in California and the faires get bloody dangerous hot at times. In fact, a couple of weeks ago when I first tried to wear them out (I'd been a right proper traditional faire wench t' this point), the temperature was over 100 degrees...and needless to say, I was actually GLAD I wasn' in one o' me bodices!

Canvas would breathe more than leather, but leather would be apt to "carry" more. What kind o' stuff ye be thinkin' t' carry about on/in it?

This would not only be a vest that is made ter look good, but would be good fer holdin an assortment of smaller pistols and daggers....things that I would still want on me person, but I wouldn't need a baldrick fer.

Somethin' fer "fast action" (and keepin' cooler in warmer weather...like insanely hot days at faires held in climates ill-suited fer leather).

ARRRrr...now that ye made me think on it (and me head hurts) I be thinking a thick, breathin' cotton (or somethin of the like) would be a better bet.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

This would not only be a vest that is made ter look good, but would be good fer holdin an assortment of smaller pistols and daggers....things that I would still want on me person, but I wouldn't need a baldrick fer.

Somethin' fer "fast action" (and keepin' cooler in warmer weather...like insanely hot days at faires held in climates ill-suited fer leather).

ARRRrr...now that ye made me think on it (and me head hurts) I be thinking a thick, breathin' cotton (or somethin of the like) would be a better bet.

Breathin's a wonderful thing, says I!

I'd say that it would depend on just how much ye want it to carry. Myself, I tend t'put things in my sash or on my belt..particularly weapons. But that's me, of course.

I encourage the non-leathery materials in that case. Ye can surely find some heavy stuff if ye look hard 'nough. That, and many fabrics o' that sort look mighty dandy after some beatin' up. :)

So am I the only one knee-deep in me piratical fabrics at th' moment? It seems I'll never get t' the bottom of it all, then again, may'aps I don' wanna!

I feel your pain, lass! At the moment, piled on my sewing table (in various stages of completion) are:

one pair of chiffon harem pants

one pair of broadcloth breeches

one muslin short chemise

one velvet vest with gold fringe for belly-dancing

one brocade vest for belly dancing

one pair of man's tights

one cotton striped man's pirate vest

one pair of boy's striped pirate breeches

AND

one circle skirt.

I've told my family to hit me if I even drive in the direction of the fabric store anytime soon.

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

I've told my family to hit me if I even drive in the direction of the fabric store anytime soon.

They know me almost by name at the place I frequent. They see so much fabric leave but see nothin' of what's been made with it...

I did bring in a few things recently however, an' they were all 'appy an' amazed....dunno why!

Beenin the person i be...just finshed 15 shirts..10 paiors o slopes...and a few Chemises....ah..the black ones are nice.....and various and other sundry projects....the leather Factory tommorrow on ter way to nebraskey Faire....ya know belts and baldrics.... but gots a new Pattern fer a coat when done will share with ye'all....its all cut...just needs the sewin...but first needs to get the business work done...

Fair Winds and tight sails

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Aoy DarkRose. I be looking for Baldric and belt. Throw me a line when you return and have time lass.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Arrrgh. I be hip deep in Jedi robes fer All Hallow's Eve. Gots three of them ter make. But it be all straight sewin'. Then there be Darth Vader's cloak ter finish before the month-end - it not be wise upsettin' a Dark Lord. :ph34r:

Soon I'll be sewin' a black sail fer the mast we be puttin' in the front yard, and all the clothes fer the "skeleton" crew. I still be collectin' plunder fer the treasure chest.

Then in November it be sewin' fer the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King openin'. Me Star Wars shipmates and I be attendin' a marathon of all three movies on December 16th. I be makin' sure I be comfortable for 10 hours o' movie-watchin'.

lotr_grndress.jpg

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Ahoy,

I need ye help. I be trying to make little pirate into Captain Jack Sparrow for halloween party. Per ye mates' suggestions, I scoured the thrift stores and pretty much there.

Me other hobbies are beadin and such and already had me a black wig. But me biggest problem is I haven't a clue on how's to make a tricor hat. I be much a holdin to those who could help.

~Thanks

endkaos@yahoo.com

:blink::ph34r::ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Hat making isn't my strong suit (never having tried...) but it seems to me that you could make a tricorn hat out of a circle of felt (glue/pin the edges up?) Just a thought, maybe a bit of experimentation is indicated (maybe tack it to a beanie hat that fits, and then fold the edges up and then either pin or glue or velcro? )

Hmmm.

Just a humble thought... :blink::ph34r:

Ahoy,

I need ye help. I be trying to make little pirate into Captain Jack Sparrow for halloween party. Per ye mates' suggestions, I scoured the thrift stores and pretty much there.

Me other hobbies are beadin and such and already had me a black wig. But me biggest problem is I haven't a clue on how's to make a tricor hat. I be much a holdin to those who could help.

~Thanks

endkaos@yahoo.com

:blink::ph34r::ph34r:

look in the hats section of this post room.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

i be workin on entire vestiments for 13 at present... all for me pending nuptials. time to nick me a slave methinks. 5 dresses, 9 chemises, 4 stomachers, no way i'm makin the corsets, 5 pairs of breeches... the fabric for me coat cost me 80.00 for 2 metres! eeesh!

But me biggest problem is I haven't a clue on how's to make a tricor hat. I be much a holdin to those who could help.

i just made a dash of one from a rather wretched early eighties black felt business lady's hat. big floppy brim with wire... required some bending/reshaping, some plumes and some trim but looks great!

good luck! now what about shoes???

[ j ]