Pirates and the National Body Challenge 06

Paisley

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry...i slipped away for a week...work was extra tough, after 10-12 hours on my feet/day...the LAST thing i want to do is workout!

you guys have any suggestions??

and if you still want to join...email/pm me to add you to discovery.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Cook? What's cooking? :lol:

I have a pages and pages of "diet" recipes that I never have time to cook up. I do the Lean Cuisines, too, and just try to avoid the scary fatty/sugary stuff at my job's cafeteria.

Veggies, lean protein and whole grains seems to work pretty good as a standard.

• 1 month later...

I am assuming that since; the last post to this thread was February 3rd, some of the "before" pictures have been deleted, and its now March 28th, that, well.... maybe some folks have fallen off the wagon?

I "joined" the Discovery thing about 10 days after it had started, and had problems navigating and finding the pirate group... yaddah yaddah....

so I said screw it and just did it on my own.

I found the Men's Health site pretty useful, and have used some of their recipes. http://tinyurl.com/l35g7

I have all but cut out fast food and cokes and am trying to get a mile run/half mile walk in every other night.

So far so good. I have lost 9 pounds.

So.... who is still working at it and wants to give/get encouragement?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Good for you, GoF! I'm not ready to give up, although I admit I didn't find the National Body Challenge site very easy to navigate, either. I had lost 10 lbs, but I've gained a couple of those back. I could sure use encouragement to keep going. We have a "Biggest Loser" contest going at work, but that ends this week (March 31) and most of us who are no longer in the running for the prize have let our diets slide.

I have had success giving up most sweets and cutting back on fats, so I feel I'm eating healthier most of the time. I just have to kick the exercise thing up a notch or two. I was walking about 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week when I started -- but I've slacked off. No excuses, now that weather is getting nicer.

:)

I lost ten pounds and have managed to keep it off. Now, for the next ten!

I'm walking 30mins for 5 days a week, do about three days of resistance training and yoga on Sundays. Food is, and probably will always remain, the issue. Grrr.

It's coming off, but very slowly. I was at 222 lbs about a week before my son was born and I'm down to 175 now. A year and a half later, I'm still calling it a victory.

:-)

Hear ya there, Red Bess.

Not had much luck with excersize really. Always wears me out afterwards.

I know I need to get more excersize other than riding horses on a daily basis for an hour, etc.

Motivation? I admit... I haven't that at all. I'd rather be plain active than to excersize like a mad dog or like my sister on a daily basis. I just can't do 3 hours of workout. Let alone half an hour. Again, wears me out incredibly.

But... I still keep the idea eventually will do something to kick m'self in the bum and get movin' to lose the weight and be the shapely Lady I really want to be.

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

After my last post I went for a run.... a wouldn't you know it, I got a cramp in my calf! :huh:

Of course, it happened right when I was about to turn around and run back home so I had to walk 1 mile back with the cramp....

I can't tell you how many times i have started an excercise program and then after a few weeks I:

Sprain ankle

Knee injury acts up again

Get a serious cold etc...

Ugghhh....

I hope that it was just a cramp, as I started to really look forward to the run (which is outstanding as I loathed it for the first 2 weeks!).

But on the bright side, I weighed in at 259.5 which is great as I started out at 273. I am tall enough to hide most of my weight but would love to get down to the 230 range.

In the spirit of the game... here is a picture of me in January... 273 lbs

273lbs.jpg

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

bravo greg!!!

I've been hitting the gym here at work, though obviously with my current situation I haven't been there every day... and haven't bothered stepping on a scale yet, but I will sooner or later. I'd give me left... uhh... I'd really like to get down to 160 or so. Of course, if I did, all my pirate clothes would be too loose! Which is better than too tight!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Greg, Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention. Paisley, thank you for starting it. I too am fighting the battle of the bulge and have won many skirmishes but still am loosing the war! I have been loosing weight since I was a kid when someone told me to loose 10 lbs at 14 (or12) and each time I gain it back and then some. I am currently, finally, making a lifestyle change and I could use all of the support I can get.

Hope you have all been successful in this endeavor thus far!

• 3 weeks later...

That "cramp" posted above wasn't a cramp but some sort of muscle tear/injury. I have had to put the breaks on the running which usually is the death nell for my diet/lifestyle change.

But oddly enough. I have kept up the "good eating habits" and continue to loose weight, albeit a little more slowly.

So far 15 gone....and another 40 to go!

GoF

I haven't lost much - maybe a pound if I'm lucky - but then I haven't gained anymore either.

I'm still working on it, slowly but surely.

I've got a question though - Has anybody tried logging into the new site yet? Apparently we're supposed to be able to use our old log in information from the challenge. However, mine doesn't seem to work. Gr. And when I register for a new one the site doesn't seem to respond at all.

Hm. I think I shall be emailing them in a minute or two.

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from the dead....

As I was saying in a much earlier post...

Every time I try to get on a physical fitness program, some injury happens and I am on my ass for an extended period.

I had lost about 15 lbs had a muscle tear, recovered (after about 3 months) then fell into a pit (literally) and broke my ankle.

Well that was May 20th. My ankle still hurts, and Dr says it could be another 3-6 months before it "might" be back to normal....

But fortunately, i have only gained back about 3 lbs.

So....

I am starting my diet exercise program up again... to beat the new years resolution crowd.

Anyone have any experience with an elliptical trainer?

Greg aka GoF

Ellipticals are a head trip, that's for sure. My first time on one about killed me - I only lasted about two minutes before I had to call it quits and get off.

It's definately something you have to build up to. I would try working out on the stationary bikes, or running before you try the Ellipticals - I know it took me at least a couple of weeks before I could try again (I just didn't have the stamina)

However once you start working out on them, they're actually quite fun. I believe you get a better work out on the Ellipticals, and another bonus that I've noticed is that time seems to pass quicker when you're on them

I have the same experience with elipticals. I had to start on the bike, move to the treadmill and then could finally do a decent amount of time on an eliptical. I like them best because some have handles that move too and you can use your upper body as well.

I was walking everyday, 45 minutes a pop, and hurt my foot back in May. Now, months later, I'm walking only two days a week for 20 mins still trying to heal. Grrrr!!