POTC Ride closing for referb....

Iron Bess

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RUMORED

From Wikipedia:

In 2006, Walt Disney Imagineering will give both versions at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom major overhauls to coincide with the release of the second movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. Both storylines will be completely dismantled and replaced with storylines involving Captain Barbossa (from the first movie) and Davy Jones (from the second and third movies) leading separate searches for Jack Sparrow through the many scenes of the original attractions. The "Hurricane Scene", the "Crews Quarters Scene", the "Captains Quarters Scene" and the "Treasure Scene" at Disneyland will all be unchanged visually except for a few new props used in the movies. The Disneyland ride will receive its official re-opening at the world premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which will also be held at Disneyland.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Will it all keep the same YO HO song or will it change to being more like the POTC movie soundtrack music?

Also, I had heard once that the only reason 20,000 Leagues was axed, (in Florida) was because somebody had a heart attack during the voyage and they couldn't get them out. It was about 1996 I was told this, as I was there and it was gone. Those who told me were frequent visitors at the time. Wasn't sure if'n it was true or rumor.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

oh i remember that ride! and all they did with the lake after that is put a little ariel thing in one corner! its a waste of space!

I thought so too when I saw it a few years back. Luckily I got to ride it when I went a few years before that.

They need to put the Black Pearl in the 20,000 leagues lagoon. Kinda do a Swiss Family Robinson tree house walk thru with it.

Now that would be TOTALLY KEWL if they wanted to do something in regard to the movie, instead of messing with the classic ride.

Next thing you know they'll add a taliban doll to Its a Small World.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official now! There WILL be an audio-animatronic Captain Jack Sparrow!

---------

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW TO JOIN THE AUDIO-ANIMATRONICS CREW OF DISNEY'S PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ATTRACTION

Classic Attraction in California and Florida Adding New Characters Inspired by Hit Film Franchise Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean

ANAHEIM, Calif. / ORLANDO, Fla. (Feb. 2, 2006)

First the theme park attraction inspired the movie - now the movie is inspiring the attraction.

Pirates of the Caribbean, the classic Disney theme park adventure brought to the big screen in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, is adding new characters and features from the blockbuster entertainment franchise and debuting when the next adventure begins in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Both the Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida will close the attraction in March to complete the updates in time for the opening of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest on July 7. The attraction will re-open at Disneyland on June 24 and in Florida's Magic Kingdom on July 7.

The attraction will feature the addition of two of Hollywood's most infamous buccaneers, Captain Jack Sparrow and his nemesis Barbossa. Joining the wildest crew that ever sacked the Spanish Main, Captain Jack and Barbossa add an exciting new twist to the attraction's original storyline as they race to be the first to claim a cache of plundered treasure.

"Successfully adding the popular characters from the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films with the mythology of our classic attraction is an example of Disney synergy and Walt Disney Imagineering at its finest," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "These additions will result in an exciting new chapter for the attraction and an unforgettable experience for our guests, giving them another reason to come and be a part of our continuing 50th anniversary celebration."

Woven into some of the attraction's most memorable scenes, the rival swashbucklers will be seen interacting with some of the more familiar Audio-Animatronics buccaneers found inside the ride-thru adventure. Also making a guest appearance is the ghostly Davy Jones from the second movie in the series, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. But new characters are only the beginning. New special effects will also be added to enhance the "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme park experience.

"The creative legacy of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' has come full circle with the attraction initially inspiring our highly successful film franchise and now the films inspiring exciting additions to the attraction itself," said Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. "The attraction enhancements capture the same spirit, swashbuckling humor and action that moviegoers loved in the first `Pirates of the Caribbean' which will continue with the highly anticipated new tales this summer and beyond."

Created under the direct creative supervision of Walt Disney himself, Pirates of the Caribbean is the quintessential Disney theme park adventure, a swashbuckling voyage that transports guests back to the days when pirates and privateers roamed the Spanish Main. Starring a comical cast of rascals, scoundrels, villains and knaves, the world-famous attraction sends guests of all ages on a boat ride through mysterious caverns where "Dead men tell no tales" and then into a colonial era Caribbean seaport under siege by a band of fun-loving pirates. The attraction's jaunty theme song, "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)," sets the show's light tone with its tongue-in-cheek depiction of high-seas lawlessness.

The original incarnation of Pirates of the Caribbean premiered on March 18, 1967, in New Orleans Square at Disneyland in California. Featuring more than 120 Audio-Animatronics performers, lavishly decorated sets and special effects, it's considered to be one of the most spectacular and enduring attractions ever created for a theme park. With its setting revised slightly to fit a Caribbean Plaza location in Adventureland, the attraction opened to guests at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom on December 15, 1973. More than 500 million people have experienced the rollicking fun of Pirates of the Caribbean in California and Florida over the past 39 years.

"Enhancing the classic Pirates attractions with new characters and new technology will ensure their relevance and place in Disney theme parks as timeless adventures," said Tom Fitzgerald, senior creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering. "We're adding a layer of storytelling from the films to the attraction while retaining all the familiar elements that make it vibrant and exciting for every age group."

The Pirates of the Caribbean additions are one part of the "Happiest Celebration on Earth," an 18-month salute (continuing through 2006) to 50 years of Disney park magic around the globe that started with the opening of Walt Disney's original park, Disneyland, in 1955.

(source: Disneyland Resort Media Relations)

----------

This was posted on Keep To The Code today.

Also seems pretty obvious that they will be having the premiere at Disneyland, since the ride will re-open there on June 24th! Doesn't seem likely that they would miss the opportunity to showcase the ride at the premiere!

Well, it's official now! There WILL be an audio-animatronic Captain Jack Sparrow!

---------

Uhh... it was official before too. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Guess I didn't believe everything I read until I got it from the official press release from Disney.

:o

I've worked for the Walt Disney Co for 35 years. :o

15 years of that at Disneyland.

Now I'm at the Studio in Burbank.

I promise not to lie to you. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Hmmm, June 24th is going to be an interesting day at Disneyland Park because it's the second annual Unofficial Star Wars Day at Disneyland. So now I don't know whether to wear a pirate shirt or my Star Wars club shirt. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard one of the changes will be the naming of the boats. Here is the picture of one of the boats that has already been repainted and named. It was named after a cast member who worked on POTC ride that recently died. A fitting tribute, I say.

Kimmi's Pirate Boat

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 2 weeks later...

I went yesterday, the 2nd, for my uncle's birthday. It was great and not crowded at all. On Pirates more stuff is missing. That hairy-legged pirate that sits on the bridge with the parrot before the jail scene is still missing. But the really noticable thing now is just before going up the ramp at the end. The 2 pirates pushing and pulling the barrels of treasure is all gone. That whole space is empty! It also had the portrait of Peter Ustinov (sp?) as Blackbeard. I most likely will be going tomorrow after work. One last time to enjoy Pirates before Monday. I really hope the changes don't suck! Bess, will they be taking out the one Pirate Captain during the ship and fortress scene? My sister thinks that's where they'll pull him out and replace him with Barbossa instead. I'm also worried if the Auctioneer, my favorite, will be replaced too. I really hope not, Paul Freeze provides both voices and he's no longer with us anymore. It would suck to remove the classic voice tracks and those pirates as well.

Here's a pic of me on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters-lol! I look so focused and dedicated to blast away some ailens! :rolleyes: I usually don't get to ride it cuz it's so crowded. Yesterday was less than 5 minutes to wait. :D

buzzlightyear.jpg

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

LOL Christine -- that's the look I get on Buzz here in Fla too!! And my son is purely interested in spinning the car in dizzying circles while I try and shoot....it's a riot! :rolleyes: They just rehabbed Buzz here, it moves slower now so you can rack up more points.

Sadly, due to me not ripping the pages of my desk calander off frequently enough we missed the last day of POTC being open. Major D'OH!!! I am a tool.

But the good news is that they are gonna open it up in April after the general rehab, BEFORE the new characters are added. So I only have to wait a month. It was weird walking by the ride with it closed....took all my willpower to veer my legs away toward Frontierland. I can't wait till the rehab is totallty done...it was rather sad and unfulfilling to spend the day there without Pirates! To me, that IS the heart and soul of the park.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Bess, will they be taking out the one Pirate Captain during the ship and fortress scene? My sister thinks that's where they'll pull him out and replace him with Barbossa instead. I'm also worried if the Auctioneer, my favorite, will be replaced too. I really hope not, Paul Freeze provides both voices and he's no longer with us anymore. It would suck to remove the classic voice tracks and those pirates as well.

Never fear...

The Auctioneer is as safe as can be. :)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh, very good to hear! I would have gone in there after hours and kidnapped him! I think he would have looked nice in my bedroom-lol! :D

Does this mean nothing will happen to the pirate captain on the ship as well? Or...you can't say? :rolleyes:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Oh, very good to hear! I would have gone in there after hours and kidnapped him! I think he would have looked nice in my bedroom-lol! :D

Does this mean nothing will happen to the pirate captain on the ship as well? Or...you can't say? :rolleyes:

Well....

The auctioneer is safe.

They also have a Disney BIG FIGURE of him for sale. Check the Disneyana shop or catalouge.

It's really awesome. :D

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

LOL Christine -- that's the look I get on Buzz here in Fla too!! And my son is purely interested in spinning the car in dizzying circles while I try and shoot....it's a riot! :rolleyes: They just rehabbed Buzz here, it moves slower now so you can rack up more points.

Sadly, due to me not ripping the pages of my desk calander off frequently enough we missed the last day of POTC being open. Major D'OH!!! I am a tool.

But the good news is that they are gonna open it up in April after the general rehab, BEFORE the new characters are added. So I only have to wait a month. It was weird walking by the ride with it closed....took all my willpower to veer my legs away toward Frontierland. I can't wait till the rehab is totallty done...it was rather sad and unfulfilling to spend the day there without Pirates! To me, that IS the heart and soul of the park.

I think the one here in Disneyland moves on it's own, you can't move it yerself. I never even thought to see if I can make it spin. Too busy trying to shoot as many ailens as possible-lol!

Pirates is already closed in Disney World? Wow, that was fast! But then it re-opens again in April? Hey, that's good, at least you don't have to wait til June 24th. Ugh, I'm going to have Pirates withdrawal. I'm already suffering from Haunted Mansion withdrawals. So, after the 11th of March I'll get back Haunted Mansion, but then will be missing Pirates. sighs.... :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Well during March it's closed for general rehab, cleaning, "freshening up", then it reopens in April...then closes AGAIN for May and June when they will add the new stuff from the movie.

Here's a question - word on the street is that for instance the girl that pops out of the barrel will be replaced with Sparrow. What will happen to the girl? Or any of the characters being removed? Any chance of a high-profile ebay auction? Or will they wind up in the highest-ranking exec/imagineer offices?

Christine...it would be cool to spend a day in either Magic Kingdom with you...something tells me it would be a blast...if you're ever in Fla, let's have a Buzz shootout! Dole whips are on me! :lol:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

In Disney World they still have the girl in the barrel? I thought that was taken out? :lol: That was part of the pirates chasing the girls scene. But yeah, I did hear that Jack is supposed to be hiding in the barrel. Not sure if that will happen for real tho.

Aye, it would be fun to one day check out Disney World! And ooohh...those Dole whips are so good! :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg