POTC Ride closing for referb....

Iron Bess

(Waving) Hi all... been gone a few weeks.

Just to keep those of you who live for going out to the park in the loop, the POTC ride will be closing this March and reopen towards the end of June.

Yes, I know what all the upgrades and new installs are and no, I can't tell you.

Yet.

For you purests who love the ride as it is you better go now or forever hold your peace.

Ya gotta wonder what Walt thinks.

;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all you always tell us, i have one question and i hope you can answer it, is Paris going to be adjusted too?

I'd love to go and see ol' Barbossa and Jack in the ride :lol::huh::huh:

Nice having you back too :huh: ( No not for that reason only LOL)

hero.jpg

Yup, I've heard this news before. Been going there during the holidays. It was too damn crowded during Christmas Day and the day after, but the Thursday just before New Years was only okay. Going again tomorrow and most likely Friday as well. The park is pretty dead right now. All the vacationing families with their brats...er, kids have gone. :unsure:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Yup, I've heard this news before. Been going there during the holidays. It was too damn crowded during Christmas Day and the day after, but the Thursday just before New Years was only okay. Going again tomorrow and most likely Friday as well. The park is pretty dead right now. All the vacationing families with their brats...er, kids have gone. :unsure:

Wish the same could be said for DisneyWorld. There just doesn't seem to be a downtime there. Right now, it's Aussies, South Americans and African families on summer holiday. I wonder if families from Africa think it strange to come all the way across the ocean to visit Animal Kingdom.

So we still have all the kiddies here---- enjoy!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Don't believe everything you read folks. :D

I'd prefer not to, so I'll hold out that you know something better that we don't. I've been twice in my life to the park and that's my favourite attraction. Its lasted all these decades and is even more popular now "as is".

Improving on something that already works often ruins it.

:unsure:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Iron Bess,

Just recommend to those powers that be that they don't throw out all the old stuff, but to store it at least for a little while to see if the new ride sails. :lol:

Throw it out... they're loss is my gain as it ends up on the auction block these days. I barely lost out to a set of doors from the ride to that Johnny Depp fella. If I'd known it was him against me I would have pushed the bid more than I did...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Iron Bess,

Just recommend to those powers that be that they don't throw out all the old stuff, but to store it at least for a little while to see if the new ride sails. ;)

Well, lots of us here are a little sad about it.

A few updates are fine, add a figure here and there but to try and make such a major overhaul that changes the entire idea of Walts original vision is in many opinions, very sad.

I know folks love to see this stuff go up for auction but the imagineers agree with me; it's abhorrent

Once you've sold off your Histoy... it's gone.

Believe it or not, Walt was not ALL about money.

:lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Far better that it goes to collectors that value the stuff than to have it go to scrap. Disney simply doesn't have enough space to house at the artifacts. So it is liquidated through two major suppliers, one on the west and one on the east coast.

I know that much of DisneyWorld's artifacts now reside in the loving hands of the Schoenith family in Detroit. It has found a good home - far better than wasting away in a warehouse - people get to not only see the items, but touch them and play with them. He has a lot of Mister Toad's Wild Ride, other ride cars, you name it...

So, I err on the side of if it needs to go, let it go to those who can continue to appreciate it.

As for PotC the ride, none of Disneyland or DisneyWorld is ever meant to be finished. Walt himself said so himself. If that was the case, Mister Toad's Wild Ride would still be around and we'd all be riding around in the Nautilus. I'm sure those were untouchables to others who have enjoyed the park. The imagineers themselves said they never got the ride correct until Paris. Many consider the Disneyland version the least correct of the three.

I loved the ride there, but again, I liked the subs.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Far better that it goes to collectors that value the stuff than to have it go to scrap. Disney simply doesn't have enough space to house at the artifacts. So it is liquidated through two major suppliers, one on the west and one on the east coast.

I know that much of DisneyWorld's artifacts now reside in the loving hands of the Schoenith family in Detroit. It has found a good home - far better than wasting away in a warehouse - people get to not only see the items, but touch them and play with them. He has a lot of Mister Toad's Wild Ride, other ride cars, you name it...

So, I err on the side of if it needs to go, let it go to those who can continue to appreciate it.

As for PotC the ride, none of Disneyland or DisneyWorld is ever meant to be finished. Walt himself said so himself. If that was the case, Mister Toad's Wild Ride would still be around and we'd all be riding around in the Nautilus. I'm sure those were untouchables to others who have enjoyed the park. The imagineers themselves said they never got the ride correct until Paris. Many consider the Disneyland version the least correct of the three.

I loved the ride there, but again, I liked the subs.

-- Hurricane

I don't believe I said anywhere that Walt didn't want change or growth. He did however cherish his own History. That stupid squid from 20,000 leagues hung in the back lot of the park until it fell apart.

I'm not adverse to some collectors gaining a boon of something they can treasure. More pwoer to you. I have a few things myself. I am not however required to agree that selling our History right and left is altogther a good thing.

I have 35 years working for this company both at the Park and now at the Studios. I love what it all represents and how all that came to be. When you lecture me on the what Walt said your preaching to the choir.

I do not share all your views on what is right or wrong with our particular Park. We all have our own delights and that is what makes each Park it's own.

Do I think the POTC Ride needs this major an overhaul? Nope. But then, while I enjoyed the movie (and what I've seen of those to come) I'm not overwhemled with a desrie to have it in every aspect of my Disney ride experience. (Shrug) Yes it will all be clean and shiney and new and hopefully, not as bad a decision as having the Pirates chase food plates instead of wenches.

Diney has been know to make mistakes.

I'm already sure this will be popular becasue it has a built in draw... but there are pleanty of people that feel so much more is just... more.

Sorry lad, don't mean to offend. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

No Walt wasn't just about making money, he was about spying on Commies and then later eating Cuban children.

Sorry, sorry... Robot Chicken joke.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

I have 35 years working for this company both at the Park and now at the Studios. I love what it all represents and how all that came to be. When you lecture me on the what Walt said your preaching to the choir.

I do not share all your views on what is right or wrong with our particular Park. We all have our own delights and that is what makes each Park it's own.

I do not share the opinions of those imagineers. I am simply quoting from the book that Jason authored. The imperfections of the ride was there view, not mine. I personally like the Disneyland version far better than the DisneyWorld version.

I don't think any entertainment park can stand still. Look at the dive Cypress Gardens took in Florida, until someone came in and rescued it. Universal Studios in Florida is on the ropes and rumored to be up for sale. While Disney's parks continue to increase in attendance, Universal, well, sucks, because there's not much there that's new and interesting. It's an unpleasant fact that new generations may find what was charming to the previous one to be a bit boring to the next. It's the nature of show biz.

I know I'm preaching the choir, but I'm a customer. I have an annual pass to all the parks. And from a customer standpoint, some of the park's rides are antiquated. Now before anyone jumps on me about Pirates of the Caribbean, let me say that it is not on my list - it's still my favorite and sometimes I just go to Magic Kingdom to ride it and nothing else for an hour.

And yes, Disney gets it wrong some times. Look at the Alien Encounter. Now it's Stitch and it still sucks. They only changed the character and kids are still scared of the dark. My own seven year old won't ride it.

Epcot is another fine example. It's a shadow of Walt's original concept. But no one wanted to visit an experimental town. They wanted thrill rides. Mission to Mars and Test Track are the draws. Soarin' has helped, but it's a transplant. Turtle Talk with Crush is amazing. But the hydroponic ride through the gardens really isn't drawing people there.

So progress continues, right and wrong. I thought it was stupid when they made the wenches chase the pirates. What was wrong with the original concept?

So yes, we do agree to disagree.

But if nothing ever changed we'd all be heading to Coney Island instead of Disneyland...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with the concept. It's far worse than the original. Just what I need, an animated character to scare my kids.

I don't think Walt would have like that idea....

Now, Buzz Lightyear, that's worthwhile.

And while we're on the subject of change... where did Captain E-O go with that gloved guy?

http://www.yesterland.com/eo.html

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I do not share the opinions of those imagineers. I am simply quoting from the book that Jason authored. The imperfections of the ride was there view, not mine. I personally like the Disneyland version far better than the DisneyWorld version.

I don't think any entertainment park can stand still. It's an unpleasant fact that new generations may find what was charming to the previous one to be a bit boring to the next. It's the nature of show biz.

I know I'm preaching the choir, but I'm a customer.

And yes, Disney gets it wrong some times.

Epcot is another fine example. It's a shadow of Walt's original concept.

So yes, we do agree to disagree.

But if nothing ever changed we'd all be heading to Coney Island instead of Disneyland...

-- Hurricane

Oops, well then perhaps note when it's a quote as it seemed these opinions were yours.

No, no Park can stand still and Disneyland has continued to grow. But there is a differnce between growth and changing what is already there to being unrecognizable.

Shame on you.... such a Disney afficinado? You ought to know your not a *customer* but a guest. Even guests however,no matter how closely they adore the host are not always keen on knowing just how things have to work and why.

Yes, Disney gets it wrong quite often. Some of Team Disney comes to mind at the moment.

New generations will find it boring? Well, Main Street, Adventureland, FrontierLand, NO Square even FantasyLand are suppose to be charming and antiquated. Although... I know your thinking of the ride presentations as a whole.

Yes indeed, Epcot is a poor shadow of Walts original concept. Just as POTC ride is going to be when they are finished with it unless things adjust in the meantime.

Yes, we agree to disagree <_<

Even if nothing ever changed from here on out... I still think Disneylands attendance would surpass Coney Island's.

We have better fireworks. :)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

And while we're on the subject of change... where did Captain E-O go with that gloved guy?

The 3-D was so out of date for the advanced filing they had developed since they made EO that they decided to make something new.

As for the Gloved guy, he's off living in Duibe now I think. <_<

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Good point on the fireworks. And both DisneyWorld and Disneyland have far better weather, usually.

I'll take either over any other parks in the country.... that's for certain.

Here's hoping that the ride changes are at least acceptable.... fingers and cutlasses crossed here. Of course, you already know something we don't know... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Disneyland yesterday and it was one of the best visits in a long time! Especially after going during the holidays, which was insanely crowded! Yesterday was just an awesome day! Hardly any lines for all the rides at all. My sister and I just jumped on and off rides and even did a few more than once. Of course Pirates was one of them. I'm making sure I ride that as often as I can when I go before they close it. Planning on going again this Sunday. :wub:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg