why piracy?

Bloody_Mary_Bonney

It's outside of the law...hence, outlaw.

When I first started selling ships in bottles at the gallery on Ocracoke, I had made a set of the 1790' Revenue Cutters & some Blackbeard vessels.

The Revenue Cutters weren't sellin', and the gallery manager stated,

"Everyone seems to have an affinity for a pirate...kinda like Robin Hood"

The romanace of being free...no taxes, no bills,

i am working on an article for my school paper on living history.

so what made you take up a pirate flag?

Truly Bloody Mary I have never seen a flag picked up and carried in better terms of true endearment to ones own beliefs of sound mind and body ye be blessed with an A fer certs lass! Huzzah! to me mates fer puttin it all out there!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Then I met Dr. Payne. A little leprechaun of a man, but a pyrate to be sure. We would sail in the Yacht Club regattas, but never won one, always disqualified fer raidin' other boats under sail, during the races in order t' steal more beer and often fair wenches. We became a' accepted course hazard, complete with time allowance.

Now THAT sounds like fun................ :o

Now THAT sounds like fun................ :rolleyes:

Aye, it were. He also would use a sling shot (a wrist rocket, for those of you of a certain age) to fire M-80's accross the bows of boats that refused to yeild. Even after he reduced a $3000 spinnaker to rags (errant shot) he refused to give up the habit. I can only hope that I will be remembered as the sort of scallywag that he was.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Grew up in Portsmouth (UK) and had a grandfather who was one of the best historians I've ever come across - used to tell me exciting stories of real exploits rather than fairy tales so I was bitten by the maritime history bug. My particular interest is general maritime history from about 1550-1750ish. When I first got on the net (bout 9-10 years ago) the only way to discuss maritime history of that period was on pirate groups, so I got into pirates. I'm still a naval historian at heart but the enthusiasm for piracy I've landed amongst has got me interested.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

As for me I've always loved tall ships cold steel and anything that goes BOOM. I grew up in the east central region of Georgia and have a faimly quite well rounded with seafarers. After being turned down at 18 by the Corp (Mix Clinton draw down with childhood asthma and volia) I decided I wouldn't be next in that line (I can be an angry redneck) and didn't care to follow orders hence piracy. Now as to how I came to hang out at the pub well Capt. Twill is the short answer. Although I'll never be a serious historian like Foxe I love history (witch as Stephen Ambrose once said should be taught as if the first two letters weren't there) and saw Capt. Twill as a great place to hang out. Recently though I have to say I've spent more time in Beyond piracy because the conversation's in Twill are areas with witch I have no real knowledge and or that witch has already been posted exceedes me own.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 1 month later...

Hm, to wax philosofeecal....

I have always liked treasure hunting, cannons, explosions, the sea, nautical history, underwater exploration and archeology, a sense of adventure, piratey talk,...

and besides, turnin' pirate was far cheaper than an education to be a lawyer!

:)

Because...

-I'm attracted to water.

-I'm a dreamer and a nut.

-I enjoy hoarding plunder.

-Antique everything (clothing and technology, especially) fascinates me.

-I'm artistically inclined.

After watching Pirates of the Caribbean, I researched real pirates and such. It still held fascination for me.

My fascination with pirates had gone down recently, though whatwithall the trailer to POTC2 being released, I was infected anew. Actually, no, I don't blame it on that entirely. It was, in fact, the non-piratical movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I think that done did it.

Yeah, that definitely done did it. All it took was a Whitecliff-by-the-Sea and a Gull Cottage.

1)A viable cause to rabble rouse wit the likes of da rest of yas .

2) a chance to the alternative clock-in clock-out work furlow program.(my employer has guards and barb wire around the plant...)/Ren Faire- is an escape..

3)History.

4)collecting piratical odd and ends and a motiff fer my deck area I call "dead mans cove".

5) Most Important...- Fun !

pirate.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Why be a pirate...?

Why, the company o' such fine folks as these what hang around these parts, o' course.

That, plus I'm a ren-faire geek and historical geek and frustrated actor (tech pays the bills better 'round here) with the whole attraction of the sea (that I've not actually been on enough to know what I'm longing after, most likely) and gosh-darn it, people think I'm piratical in general, so I may as well take the chance to act it out when I can.

sig2.jpg

Arr, I be thinkin' that the eyepatch be sayin' it all. As fer me personally, it be the greatest cult I ever been in. Except fer that Heaven's Gate thing, but thar wasn't too many of 'em left around t'be conversatin' with after a while. But seriously, me first mate and I jest started actin' like pirates out o' the blue one day, and it be like that ever since.

I have always loved the Renaissance time frame. I have been going to Ren faires since I was little and just this year I was recruited to help sell Pyrate wears at one of the faires. I changed my costume up a bit and really admired some of the elaborate costumes for pyrates. I noticed more and more that I liked the look more then the Ren wench. I am still about half and half. I work two months straight as a wench and for the rest of the year I trade off when I can! Kind of hard to be a naughty pyrate wench in front of the kids at faire. Funny, but I guess I am naught all pyrrrrratey! :(

Bunny Cutlass