why piracy?

Bloody_Mary_Bonney

i am working on an article for my school paper on living history.

so what made you take up a pirate flag?

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Originally it was to meet women... :) Oh, so many years ago.

But a trip to Port Royal last week cinched the reason. A local woman stopped me in the street and said I "had the look of generations of Port Royal." I asked her what she meant and she replied, "Hasn't anyone told you that you've been here many times before?"

Wow! Still freaks me out.

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The need for freedom... the desire for revenge... the thirst for rum... the ache for the sea... the hunger for treasure... the joy of the challenge... the thrill of cheating death... the want to satisfy those seven deadly sins that burn within that devilish heart within our heaving chest when the excitement of the moment overhwelms you with an unknown sensation that you cannot nor will not deny yourself but you BEG for more!

It generally is because we want.. therefore... WE TAKE!

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

'Cause I figured if Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom could get all those gilrs to swoon so easily then a guy like me could have a REAL heyday. ;)

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

First, went to sea on a tall ship, got bit by the bug, and came down with a hard case of sea fever...I have yet to recover. That, coupled with an appreciation for history and things that go BOOM kind of sealed the devil's deal. Then, just t' fool people, I joined the Coast Guard. Go figure :ph34r:

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

What Lady Barbossa said, adding only the freedom of choices. The love of life and the company of friends that give and love to give. There be a unique comradery in trustin yer back with the likes of a mate, I liken it to family.... Me brothers and sisters, bein all for one and one for all. You see the muskateers were pirates they just got sea sick and stayed on shore. It be the wind fillin yer sails, slicing the seas surface with the bow, the sound of thunderin cannons and the smoke lingerin round the deck. The drynkin, the eatin, the singin and of course the plain simple truth sharin it all. Sharin the feelings ye get when this life gets so close to fullfillment legally, there just aint nothing liken to its complete and wondrous exhilarations.

Grammercy Bloody Mary, grammercy well indeed. Hope ye gets an A

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Tis quite simple really, a bucaneer may pillage an' plunder an' backstab, but he be knowin' how te have a good time. An' with a world a blue te be explorin' it be a fine day to become a pirate, mate. There be treasure everywhere, but a pirates treasure be only dependin' on a pirates values. An I say rum! Rum an gold an good kinship! A pirate ain't a pirate without his hardy mates. B)

To rum, to adventure, an' to a jolly good time! B)

i never held kindly to bein' pressed into the crown's service so when the oportunity arose to take the other side i jumped at it and have never looked back ....having lived on the sea for the first 19 years of my life there wasn't much choice to it ....it was the wide blue of the sea or the choking death of a weaver's life with m'mum's family ...i was not cut out to sit behind a loom for the rest of m'days

and besides i like blowing the hell out of the likes of man-o-wars and fat merchant ships

and very few professions have such comfy clothes to wear :ph34r::huh:

I... dont know...

Now I'm trying to remember. I dont know why I like pirates so much. I knew pitifully little about them when I joined this site. I just kinda always liked pirates. I loved Peter Pan and Muppet Treasure Island when I was little, and I had a lovely book on pirates, with how to make treasure maps and a sword of cardboard and tinfoil and other useful things necessary for every six year old pirate to be. I even had the ship-shaped fort. Still do, actually, even though I'm taller than it now.

I'm reposting this from a previous question along the same vein...

Part of my family history, really. That is, if the tales hold up. Story is, part of my kin, Clan Burns (Burrnes or Byrnes, most likey the latter), sought employment with a lady named Gráinne Nimhaille. And they found quite a bit of profit in the relationship.

When I was a wee lad, a favorite aunt in Florida (my dear departed Aunt Lyndal) told me the family tales, bought me treasure maps, and took me to museums that held the salvage from ancient Spanish wrecks.

Silver.

Gold.

Jewels.

I was just a kid, but I wanted it. All of it I saw, and more if it could be had. I guess I got the pyrate gene, if there is such a thing. Every time my parents took me to Walt Disney World, I'd drive them nuts wanting to ride "Pirates of the Caribbean" over and over again.

My attention drifted to other things as I got older, but things got jarred back to life, thanks to Jerry Bruckheimer and his little film, "Pirates of the Caribbean". And I have no intention of looking back.

:ph34r:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I grew up in the Land of Flowers (that be Florida to ye dock-wallopin' land lubbers). Thar be Pyrate tales about each an' ev'ry one o' these 'ere islands. I grew up on the water, open water just out my back door, my first command a' Optimist pram, eight feet an' no guns, but she taught me t' sail an' t' respect th' sea.

Years went by an' the boy got bigger, th' boats got bigger, an' rules began t' apply. Then I met Dr. Payne. A little leprechaun of a man, but a pyrate to be sure. We would sail in the Yacht Club regattas, but never won one, always disqualified fer raidin' other boats under sail, during the races in order t' steal more beer and often fair wenches. We became a' accepted course hazard, complete with time allowance.

Later I moved away from the sea; a woman don't ye know. Ended up in Kentucky. Moved back, left th' wench there.

Where am I goin' wi this? Oh, yes, Pyracy...

Mix equal parts tropical upbringing, history knowledge, sword skills (karate), love of sailing and the sea, black powder, a need t' do some history reenacting but a disdain fer higher command tellin' me when t' shoot and ye get a Pyrate. Simple, ain't it?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Quite simply, it provides me the means to live my life by my own rules... :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Diego's answer says it all fer me. I did a pirate theme decoration at Halloween last year and then I discovered my neighbors were in a pirate guild so I went to a meeting to check it out. Been hooked ever since. For me, it is definately the people I've met who make it fun. Workin' the crowds at Faires in pretty cool too!!

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."