Pirate Novel

Jib

Treasure Island, without a doubt as far as novels go.

Although Johnny and the Starcatchers caught my by suprise, and is actually a rather good read.

There are plenty of worthwhile pirate books, but novels i can't think of too many.

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Has anybody read "Long John Silver: The True and Eventful History of My Life of Liberty and Adventure As a Gentleman of Fortune and Enemy to Mankind" by Bjorn Larsson, Tom Geddes (Translator) ?

I just ordered it from Amazon and heard it is the "unofficial" autobiography of the notorious scoundrel.

B) So Peter and the Starcatchers was worthwhile, eh? I've passed it many a time at the olde book shoppe but never had the brass to risk reading it.

"The Pyrates" by George McDonald Fraser is my favourate. He is the author of the "Flashman" series and wrote the screen plays for the 70's "Three", "Four" and "Return of" Musketeer movies.

The Pyrates - George McDonald Fraser

It's an hysterically funny book, with all the stereotype character.... the Lantern jawed Naval Officer, the sultry Spanish lady, the young blond bimbo English noble lady, the old forgetful English noblemen, the dashing Pirate leader, the nefarious rogue, the sexy African woman pirate, the foppish French pirate, the crazy pirate and a sneaky pirate....

There’s gold, tall ships, and a pirate layer....

All ripping yarn stuff.

Oh ya.. and an introduction of one sentence that is several pages long.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

I agrees with ye whole-heartedly, Mr. Blydes re: G.M. Fraser's book! The "Flashman" books are hilarious as well and so are the "McCausland" books although I was not a big fan of Mr. American. If you enjoyed these writings then I suggest an American author by the name of Raymond Saunders. He wrote a series of books based on an American version of "Flashman" named "Fenwick Travers."

I also like the Rafael Sabatini works but think that me favorite be "Captain Blood;" it was a GREAT book before it became a GREAT movie!!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I agrees with ye whole-heartedly, Mr. Blydes re: G.M. Fraser's book! The "Flashman" books are hilarious as well and so are the "McCausland" books although I was not a big fan of Mr. American. If you enjoyed these writings then I suggest an American author by the name of Raymond Saunders. He wrote a series of books based on an American version of "Flashman" named "Fenwick Travers."

Blackbead

I'll have to check the Fenwick series....

There is an other Flashman book coming out soon.

I'll re-read 'The Pyrates' every couple of years. Gets more funny each time. Last year I took it to faire (I was solo that day) and sat back by a tree with a mug of cider, a cigar and my feet up.... Very relaxing and entertaining day.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

• 2 weeks later...

I with you, Blackbead.

Sabatini's "Captain Blood" is both my favorite pirate novel as well as my favorite pirate film.

Tho' I'll have to say I did find "On Stranger Tides" also highly enjoyable, but on a different kinda level.

As a side note, on the non-fiction end, I'd have to say Frank Sherry's "Raiders and Rebels" is (for me) the most excellent linear history of piracy I've come across.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. -- Mark Twain

Anything by James L. Nelson, including:

The Marlowe Series (The Guardship, The Blackbirder, The Pirate Round)

The Only Life that Mattered (formerly published as The Sweet Trade by Elizabeth Garrett, a pseuodonym)--this is the best, IMO, novelization of Anne Bonny and Mary Read I have ever come across.

Also try The Requiem Shark, by Nicholas Griffin, a novel about Bartholomew Roberts from the point of view of the ship's fiddler.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Well, aside from Treasure Island, which is my favorite, I'd have to second Phillip's recommendation of Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides. Also, The Island, by Peter Benchley is a good read. It's set in modern times, but is definitely all about pirates. :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I'm with PirateQueen -- James L. Nelson's "The Only Life that Mattered" is a book I've been waiting since childhood to read. I've long since wondered why there didn't appear to be any in-depth Anne and Mary novel out there ... so when I found out about Nelson's book, I rushed out to buy it immediately. And it was worth the wait -- not only was it the Anne and Mary tale I'd been waiting for, but it's an all-around excellent piratical read.

My current read is a rather amusing little book called "The Pirates in an Adventure with Ahab," a British satire that is quite Monty Python-esque (which is a definitely a good thing). Not a long read by any stretch of the imagination, but I can highly recommend it; it's hilarious.

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg