Random Topics

Patrick Hand

Yeah, I'm a closet gamer

(meaning I don't like to admit it....I don't literally play in the closet! :o )

The game has been updated several times since it was called AD&D

(now on v. 3.5, the quest for more money).

I play good old pencil and paper D&D with minatures for the battle positioning.

and yes, I admit I'm a dork.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game has been updated several times since it was called AD&D

When I first started playing D&D, the rules were three small booklets, and you had to buy the suppliments.... Chainmail, Greyhawk and the other one..... I still have them someplace.... Wonder what First editions of roleplaying games sell for these days ? Dang.... all the rules I have are old.........

Not really all that much, i got all my 1ed d&D books in a lot with some AD&D books for $25 US and my Gurps 1.0 or $15. i tend to play gurps 3.0 and AD&D 2nd edition most of the time.

Dang.... all the rules I have are old.........

Eh, that's the great thing about the old RPGs; you can follow any set of rules you like. I bet you only had 6-sided dice charts, too. B)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I suppose they have to compete with things like on-line forums and chat rooms for the absurd imaginary sex market...

So what do you use twenty sided dice for? (I'm not even going to ask about the 12-sided die...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

To the people typing/imaginary gaming. D&D is all played in your head, with dice and on pieces of paper. Chat rooms and forums are similar, only it's all played in ether-space.

It sort of reminds me of the Mad Magazine parody of Hart to Hart (for those of you who remember that - er, remember the show, not Mad Magazine):

"Did you ever wonder what the wealthy, suave, beautiful people do besides hustle designer jeans on TV? Well they spend most of their time partying, travelling, talking about sex, quipping unfunny one-liners and getting involved in murder!"

Hmm. Come to think of it, that description applies to most of my AD&D adventures (Well, except for the "talking about sex" part. We didn't have the advantage of the new manual.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Posted elsewhere about this "project".... but may as well post it again here.... (that way when I sober up... I may be able to find it....)

Steve Jackson (game designer) has rules for "Pyrate Wars"(Lego Battles) they are really cool.... I want to re-write them (to make them even simpler/easy) so I can try to run a game at next years Ojai Pyrate Faire..... I figure I will make some "waterline" ship models, moulds for casting/pressing sculpy pyrate figures, set everything up for a "quick and easy" pyrate game (in kinda large scale,.... so it "looks ' good....) and try to get people to play, or yell/chear (Panzer Pranks had a fun idea about this)... maybe even make two pyrate hats (one for the winner on Saturday, and Sunday) as prizes.... Make it fun for the players, and to run....... Aaaaargh......

;)

Well...... where did you think ALL those wondering monsters came from.......

;)

Mission_banner5.JPG

You know, I wondered where you could get urethane pigments from. I saw a couple of black-colored polyurethane props awhile back and was curious what they used to color the urethane. Thanks for the link!

I'm actually thinking about, er, "resurrecting" one of my old HEDZ concept products (which never made it into production and thus isn't on my web page) and selling it via eBay marketplace. It may even have pirate appeal if I modify it slightly. (By which I mean if I give it an eye patch and a bandanna.) I need to get back into polyurethane mold-making to do it (and find a fast and cheap seamstress...).

Mission_banner5.JPG

and find a fast and cheap seamstress...

Oooooo... now THAT'S how I like my seamstresses... er, I mean...!!

By the bye, Playmobil made (makes) some awesome pirate ships, that really float... they can be found fairly inexpensively on eBay, on occasion...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Better yet, buy a used copy off Amazon or Half.com. If you're really lucky, you may find it for 99¢ on eBay.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Outta couriosity, I looked up how much tickets were other places....

place......................high.............low

Phoenix..................545..............35

San Jose.................630............105 (the price dropped.... from 140 last night)

Toronto ...............1140..............40

Briston VA............1480..............95

Mansfield MA........1600............115

Pittsburg.................855.............90

Here in Detroit, you used to be able to get into the parking lot for free. Then you could hang around, be a parrothead, drink rum with your fellow parrotheads, listen to the live albums (there were only two at that point) and leave when the show started. Jimmy Buffett on a budget. ;) Now I think they make you flash a ticket to get into the parking lot.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I've read some of them. I've read A Pirate Looks at 50, Where is Joe Merchant and A Salty Piece of Land. Like many of his songs, I've found his books tend to wander a bit. I enjoyed the recent one the most.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I imagine the world through John Lennon glasses and a pitcher of marggies it's a bit easy to wander. I liked the pirate looks at forty only because of its title! Oh! and the song by the same name. but alas matey try this I did and saw him twice free. find out if he's still doing college campus' concerts in the cities where the concerts are. he'll sometimes do an off the cuff impromptu in the quad! I saw him at San Diego State and U C L A

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.