Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia

dasNdanger

Just went to Fort Mifflin for the first time, and loved it! A great place to visit, especially for their re-enactments...

Here are some links, but the 'official' one - the last one - is under 'construction', but there might be some useful links on it (esp. to the Pennsylvania Navy).

http://www.phila.gov/recreation/historical...ortmifflin.html

http://www.thebrandywine.com/photoop/fort_mifflin.html

http://www.fortmifflin.com/

When I get a chance I will post the upcoming events for the Fort, which I have at home. I know of a few events that may be of interest to folks here, including the Musketeer School http://home.att.net/~trmarr/ , the Seige of Fort Mifflin in November and a Renaissance event sometime in the summer.

das

Wow 10min eh Joshua? That means ya be from me home port of Philly eh? Good t' see an'ther from the area!

Fort Mifflin is bein' a great place though. We're actually workin' on an aft'r hours tour o' th' place when we move back t' the area. Should be an interestin' experience. :)

Mifflin is one of my favourite spots, even with the aluminum overcast. I'm teaching at the School of the Musketeer in a couple of weeks and I'll likely have at least one cannon (maybe Nightingale, my swivel). I'll have a camp set up with a couple of my troops and be teaching all day and singing until late into the night. Anyone who wants to learn matchlock musketry would do well to be at this muster. We'll likely be doing cannon and swordplay demos as well.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'm teaching at the School of the Musketeer in a couple of weeks and I'll likely have at least one cannon (maybe Nightingale, my swivel). I'll have a camp set up with a couple of my troops and be teaching all day and singing until late into the night. Anyone who wants to learn matchlock musketry would do well to be at this muster. We'll likely be doing cannon and swordplay demos as well.

Hawkyns

So...can we show up in our 21st century clothes and still get in on some funsies, or do we have to come in dra...I mean, period 'tume?

Also, can you clarify the dates for me?? The Musketeer School site days are diff from the Mifflin schedule ...is it April 29th (Fri.) and 30th (Sat.), or 30th (Sat.) and May 1st (Sun.)???

Hopefully hubby and I can sneak up for one day...

das

Morning, All!!

Back and bleary eyed from the winter camp out at Fort Fred, it's time to get into gear for the SotM.

Kit requirements are on the website, but they prefer period kit if you have it. Whatever you wear, don't wear clothes that you mind getting tiny burn holes, black powder spooge, and assorted stains on. Being a musketeer is not fancy like they show in the movies.

The dates are Friday at 5PM until Sunday afternoon. If you only have a day, pick the one with the track that suites you best. The Fort schedule doesn't talk about Friday arrivals for participants, that's why the discrepancy.

Hawkyns

:huh:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

So- any takers? Anybody coming to the festivities?

Hawkyns

;)

rod_21.jpg

Well since I can't make it down to Hampton for the Blackbeard Fest, I'm now pushing the family to take these more local trips. It be only about 1.5 hrs for me to Fort Mifflin. It would be great to take in the sights and meet a few of you pirates. :)

It will be a last minute decision, have a few errands to do in the morning, then we'll see if everyone's up for a little road trip. :wub:

wil22.gif