The Buccaneer Project

You play untill it's no fun for YOU anymore. I didnt start this as a historian, and I dont think most of us did either. Think about why you first dressed as a pirate and your first pirate outfit, yes my kit is different now, slops not silk pants, buckle shoes not bucket boots, proper period wesket instead of velvet coat, sure there are pc events but they arent all PC events and either way i will attend them with my non PC hat with friggin beads on it cause it makes ME happy. if i am doing a presentation at a museum or library i will be pc because im a history lesson, if im working a childrens party the bucket boots and velvet coat are coming out and the eyeliner is going on, cause im a fun character and an entertainer, but reguardless you should do whats fun for you and not get overly fixated on "ooh if I dont have a period knife the other pirates will laugh at me" to this i shout FUN FUUUUUN!

Remeber no man is just 1 pirate, and there is a lot of love for you here either way! Now put on some striped pants and a plastic eyepach and go drink rum till your inner pirate is stirred and your sayin YARRR and enjoing it!

Should this not work please put your kit up as there are many here who will appriciate the time you have put into these garmets as these clothes deserve to be admired amongst friends and have drink spilled upon them!

Dibs on Patricks blue jacket, Smiles are PC and appropriate at this point!

I say long live Patrick Hand and Captain Bo!

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Hand - Be of good cheer, mate. Will hopefully be seeing you at St Agustin in March, my first time out though I'd like to share documentation &c of the era if you're there. There is more to life than GAoP mon ami, there are at least a few of us 1660s campaigners out there.

Brass

Edited by Brass

one of Morgan's Men, "Guantanamo Jack" Brass

"No peace beyond the line"

On my side, I have the chance of being part of multiple music band and get plenty of occasion to entertain and be in contact with the public. But when I do reenactment I don't care for the public, I don't want to explain to him what I do, how and why.

Private events seems to be rare in the US other than small trekking expedition in the woods. Here in Quebec there is a "big" hardcore 15th century event not open to public, so 50-60 person will gather and reenact their period with a common storyline for the weekend. I find it way more fun and more immersive yet relaxing for the mind. Kind of a similar feeling I had when I was larping 15 years ago.

Even though I never had the chance to meet you in person mister Hand, from what I have heard and red on this forum, I think you would have fun in a setup like this. Why not give it a try?

• 1 month later...

Just a kinda quick question.....

I'm kinda wondering... well why bother..... no one knows why I'm dressed funny.... or the time period...it's not PoTC.....It's starting to wear me out...

I like the time period (even tho no one knows it)

But .... well.. sorry...

But i'm getting ...... well.... bummed out....

So how much longer do I play.......?

Someone needed the "Searle's Raid Buccaneer Impression Recharge" this year..... Actually, most people are idiots (pub members aside). During Searles raid, I heard people chanting "USA USA USA" and was called "Ben Franklin" while wearing full collar of bandoliers and toting a matchlock musket (I wasn't wearing little round glasses nor flying a kite).

Most American's have a small biased briefing on history and easily get bored with their short attention spans for anything more than a soundbite. It is our responsibility to, if nothing else, let them know that there is more to learn. Simple as that. Leave it to someone to learn or to not learn. I derive some weird pleasure in stumping people. But hey, I'm kinda odd like that....

Chin up Buccaneer! If you dressed like a Tampa Bay Buccaneer, everyone would know who you are and then you would be really miserable.

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

Deleted

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

if i have a lantern anywhere near me, i get called paul revere .....nevermind that i am NOT a caucasian pewter-smith.........and i get ben franklin as well..........sadly when you do tell them they are wrong, they almost seem offened that they were...as though its my fault that the were wrong...........part of what makes it all worth it for me at least, is for those few that take interest, and instead of just making assumptions, asks what im portraying....or even better, that rare person that knows the info, and appreciates what iv done, and knows its been done right(or at least to the best of my present knowledge and ability). More so,even, than any of that are the kids......especially when you give them the pyrate myth breakdown, and show that real mariners in the early 18th century were just as, if not cooler than movie pyrates....well...sailors........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

You mean...you're *not* a pewter-smith?!

I work (in disguise) in a local library, and we have a "young adult" anime club. One of the girls in it has an interest in pirates and has gravitated to me, and I've been directing her to books like "Treasure Island", "Empire of Blue Water" and the like...eddicating her, as it were, look'ee, since most of her knowledge comes from, guess what, the PotC movies. I got nothing against them, but they're entertainment, not history.

if i have a lantern anywhere near me, i get called paul revere .....nevermind that i am NOT a caucasian pewter-smith.........and i get ben franklin as well..........sadly when you do tell them they are wrong, they almost seem offened that they were...as though its my fault that the were wrong...........part of what makes it all worth it for me at least, is for those few that take interest, and instead of just making assumptions, asks what im portraying....or even better, that rare person that knows the info, and appreciates what iv done, and knows its been done right(or at least to the best of my present knowledge and ability). More so,even, than any of that are the kids......especially when you give them the pyrate myth breakdown, and show that real mariners in the early 18th century were just as, if not cooler than movie pyrates....well...sailors........

Damn, thats sharp!

Just a kinda quick question.....

I'm kinda wondering... well why bother..... no one knows why I'm dressed funny.... or the time period...it's not PoTC.....It's starting to wear me out...

I like the time period (even tho no one knows it)

But .... well.. sorry...

But i'm getting ...... well.... bummed out....

So how much longer do I play.......?

I hear what you are saying, Pat. Last year at PIP, when I was in camp, I worked on a leather sheath for my machete. Most folks who walked by steered clear and the few who did stop by kinda gave a deer in the headlights look when I explained to them what I was doing. There was on boy who sat down and watched for a while and listened intently as I told about the life of a Buccaneer. A few minutes later his father came looking for him and gave him a chewing out. I explained that his son was interested in learning a bit and dad told me that, "that's what school is for". The boy gave a shrug and I gave him a coin I had and he followed his father. It seemed to me that dad thought he was a Disney and had to keep moving. I chewed on the situation a bit and found myself getting angry. Here was someone who wanted to learn but it wasn't in "dads" interest. I think that unless you have some kind of demonstration going on, most of the public see you but don't see you. I was watching the rope making demonstration Dutch and crew were doing at Blackbeards in Hampton last year. It was a real good set up and people were able to participate. Needless to say they drew a good crowd. I'm rethinking my portrayal of a Buccaneer and may skip camping at the fort for a year or two. Work on a good presentation and see how it goes.

Don't know if all this makes any sense or not but it's how I feel and my 2 cents.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I am/have been rethinking everything and really just playing for my own sanity these days. Only going out alone or to events where it's just guys and gals of the same mindset, not really speaking to the public, just doing "experimental archeology" and having fun. If you wanna see "deer-in-the-headlights" try teaching Civics to tenth-graders!!!! :blink:

There are so many different areas of intertest I would like to explore that no-one in the general public knows or cares about, that I would just be doing it for me anyways. If it isn't on an electronic device, it's damn near impossible to generate much interest from todays public or youth. It's just "cool clothes" and "awesome stuff" to the myriad throngs of visitors to most public events anymore. They take a few photos to show their friends where they went yesterday, and as soon as the screen goes blank, so does their memories in most cases it seems. I really feel like the dinosaur that I have become.

I have threatened and even gone so far as to get rid of most of my stuff several times, but it has become such a part of my life, I can not successfully depart, though I have tried several times. I like dressing up and putting my stuff to the task it is intended for regardless if anyone else comes along or cares at all. I guess in the end, I will just do it for me and if there is someone along the way I can pass my interest and knowledge on to, then so be it. if not, c'est la vie.

Bo

I think you hit it on the head, Bo.

If you do exact re-enactment to teach and engage the public, it's rarely going to be successful. The public likes to be entertained these days. They don't want to educate. I suppose that's why far more people watch Survivor and American Idol than the History Channel.

You have to do it for yourself. Frankly, I think the re-enactments would be much better if there weren't any public around, as you say, "experimental archeology." That way you don't have to interrupt the impression to pose for photos or have someone interject their modern concepts (i.e. PotC) into what you're doing so you have to pull yourself out, address the history vs. fiction, and go back to what you're doing.

I think some of these events would be more fun for the re-enactors if the public just walked through it as a living diorama/living museum than trying to engage them in something they often seem loath to learn about. When we were at PiP a couple of years ago doing a period tavern, we couldn't even get people to play the games with us. Maddening.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I think you hit it on the head, Bo.

If you do exact re-enactment to teach and engage the public, it's rarely going to be successful. The public likes to be entertained these days. They don't want to educate. I suppose that's why far more people watch Survivor and American Idol than the History Channel.

You have to do it for yourself. Frankly, I think the re-enactments would be much better if there weren't any public around, as you say, "experimental archeology." That way you don't have to interrupt the impression to pose for photos or have someone interject their modern concepts (i.e. PotC) into what you're doing so you have to pull yourself out, address the history vs. fiction, and go back to what you're doing.

I think some of these events would be more fun for the re-enactors if the public just walked through it as a living diorama/living museum than trying to engage them in something they often seem loath to learn about. When we were at PiP a couple of years ago doing a period tavern, we couldn't even get people to play the games with us. Maddening.

Well, there are less people watching the History Channel for other reasons that reality shows...(for one, the History Channel stretch the definition of history with their reality shows).

I wish I would have caught onto this conversation earlier. I have discussed these frustrations on a couple other forums. Educating the public with pirate and early Provincial Era American history (I refer to roughly 1680-1730) is extremely difficult. Several problems have already been mentioned in this thread, including the obstacle that a lot of people come to be entertained and not educated.

Here are my thoughts on the subject (and mind you, this can apply to any time period of reenacting):

For me, education works best at small and controlled events. Small events means more controlled numbers of visitors and more opportunity to interact with individuals. You get mixed results trying to educate large groups. But some of the most productive education moments I had was when I talked with one to three people. At a smaller event, there are less distractions to people walking through the event. At a large event, if someone feels like "oh, we have to go see this now," then they may not stick around and learn as much and just treat a encampment geared towards education as a "look and walk" exhibit as I call it. In 2009 and 2010, when my group did a event at Lewes, Delaware in the park, it was the best time I've had with education. I only wish more members had been interested in education during those events. Not only was the situation controlled, but the event was marketed as historical and educational so we received some of the most receptive spectators that I've ever seen.

Many have questioned "why try and educate at reenactment events?" If you want to do that, why not go to school, learn history, and then get a job in some form or manner teaching it to the public? Interesting point. In terms of interaction with the public with material culture of the period, you just described historical interpreters. These interpreters may or may not be more suited to educating the public. But, some don't want to do it as a job, and not all the time. Does that mean those who don't want it as a job shouldn't educate? Of course not. I think any effort at education is worth it. What if they give out the wrong history? Well, I don't think for pirate history I think that a fact that is slightly wrong is probably ten times better than what the alternative is (the Hollywood interpretation). Will the people absorb what you throw at them? Maybe, maybe not. Even if only one person at an event gets benefit from what you say, I say its worth it. Just remember one thing, don't let educating the public at reenactments turn into a "job" that makes the event more "work" than fun. I've had to learn that a couple times.

If you want to improve the way to bring the public in to talk with you and how to keep their attention, there are several books available about how to do historical interpreting. A read through these can be a great help to any reenactor who wants to increase the odds they reach the public.

I hope this encourages people who want to educate. Sometimes it doesn't seem like there is any point to trying anymore, so you need as much encouragement as possible.

You mean...you're *not* a pewter-smith?!

I work (in disguise) in a local library, and we have a "young adult" anime club. One of the girls in it has an interest in pirates and has gravitated to me, and I've been directing her to books like "Treasure Island", "Empire of Blue Water" and the like...eddicating her, as it were, look'ee, since most of her knowledge comes from, guess what, the PotC movies. I got nothing against them, but they're entertainment, not history.

I think that Treasure Island and Empire of Blue Water probably count more as entertainment than history.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I think the real issue here is the venue. The public expects to be entertained at festival type events, and arrives with that mindset. At museums and historic sites, you get a different attitude, and they want to learn.

It's good to be able to do either education or entertainment, depending on the audience. I like to combine the two whenever possible to appeal to the greatest number of people. I can spend extra time on the ones that want to learn more as needed on a one to one basis.

>>>>> Cascabel

That has been the case Cascabel, but the current trend is shifting rapidly. Even the hisitoric sites and museums these days are not drawing those types of people nearly as much. Not around here anyway. Attention spans in youth and adults are in decline as well. The longest conversations I've had with the public in recent years involve me standing there hearing all about the g-g-g-g great grandpa fighting off two dozen indians, or some other fantactic tales. Most who stop to "talk" these dyas do just that; talk and not listen. The little heritage days venues have drifted to craft faires and flea-markets trying to squeeze dollars out of tourists, and the education aspect has long ago taken a back-seat to profiteering in this part of the world anyway. I went to the Whydah exhibit at the Field musem in Chicago, and again at the St. Louis Science Center. They run folks through them in 30-40 minutes. I spent fifteen minutes at the cartridge box and sun-king pistol alone. I was the only one out of the fifty or so people in our group at the Field that was taking time to actually read the information and study details, and there were even smaller groups at the St. Louis exhibit. I was there still looking when the third tour after mine passed me by. People looked and left. At the Field, and Science center, everything that had an electronic activity or game was filled, while people viewed the displays with "deer-in-the-headlights" expressions. Just doesn't seem that many are interested in learning anything, just being entertained for a brief moment and move on.

I hope it isn't like this every where, but it is that way where I am.

Bo

That has been the case Cascabel, but the current trend is shifting rapidly. Even the hisitoric sites and museums these days are not drawing those types of people nearly as much. Not around here anyway. Attention spans in youth and adults are in decline as well. The longest conversations I've had with the public in recent years involve me standing there hearing all about the g-g-g-g great grandpa fighting off two dozen indians, or some other fantactic tales. Most who stop to "talk" these dyas do just that; talk and not listen. The little heritage days venues have drifted to craft faires and flea-markets trying to squeeze dollars out of tourists, and the education aspect has long ago taken a back-seat to profiteering in this part of the world anyway. I went to the Whydah exhibit at the Field musem in Chicago, and again at the St. Louis Science Center. They run folks through them in 30-40 minutes. I spent fifteen minutes at the cartridge box and sun-king pistol alone. I was the only one out of the fifty or so people in our group at the Field that was taking time to actually read the information and study details, and there were even smaller groups at the St. Louis exhibit. I was there still looking when the third tour after mine passed me by. People looked and left. At the Field, and Science center, everything that had an electronic activity or game was filled, while people viewed the displays with "deer-in-the-headlights" expressions. Just doesn't seem that many are interested in learning anything, just being entertained for a brief moment and move on.

I hope it isn't like this every where, but it is that way where I am.

Bo

That is sad to hear. I remember being at the Whydah Exhibit when it began touring in Philadelphia. I think the problem is, people don't want to read at the exhibits. Even I didn't want to spend that much time reading (course, I have the advantage of having a little bit more knowledge on what I am seeing than your average person going through the exhibit). Museums have been dealing with this issue for a while now. There seems to be no solution to this issue yet. One aspect of the issue is that there is too much to read. In Gettysburg, if you went through and did all the interactive exhibits and read all the placards, studies show that it would actually take about 12 hours to go through the whole exhibit. The typical tourist these days spends about four to six hours at Gettysburg. The typical tourist usually spends between two and four hours at the visitor center. As you can see, this is going to cause many problems.

I have a theory that I would like to see tested. Would people absorb more at a museum if they were led through by a tour guide? I feel like people would learn more if they heard the information. Also, the tour guide could tailor the information he presents to the individuals in the group.

Thoughts?

Well I guess this the place to add my tupence. For my part I tend to enjoy the challenge entertaining while sneaking in a little education. I once overheard a old salt at an event disparaging the public for their ignorance and generally being an ASS, I took it apon my self to ask him if he ever bothered to try to educate them at all surprise he had not he was there for the booze and the broads. If we can't entertain as well as educate the public at events the hobby we love WILL DIE. Look around at events at events next time you go how many children and young adults do you see in period attire, who will carry the banner when you pass to fiddlers green? It is we as whole who need to nurse the tiny spark of interest in the youth today if it is to become the all consuming fire we have. I have seen the future and it is bleak for us all if we hide our selves away from the public and don't answer their questions no matter how many times the get it wrong! I will admit that a all first person event is fun. I have been doing living history in one persona or another for twenty years and have seen crowd levels wain yearly. If you do this hobby for you then sit it your living room alone and have a good time dressed if your finest hand sewn attire and never be seen, but if you do this for a love of history then get outside and educate others about what you love and are passionate about. I personally DO NOT have a problem Hollywood pirates they interest the young and they in turn motivate their parent to bring them to the events, while they are looking for Jack why not sneak a little education in? After all it is their patronage that drives the coffers of the events we attend.

SORRY FOR THE RANT..

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

Well, FWIW, I just spent the last five years in college/university studies training for my teaching certificate in social studies. I am currently doing my internship preparing to graduate in May. I am with mostly sophomores. You want to see deer-in-the-headlights, try stanidnig in front of 27 of those kids and talk history and government. I've dressed-out and tried the edu-tainment methods- most of these kids cannot remember for two hours what we talk about. I too have been into the hobby since 1988, and have seen it fade and return, but each wave washes aout more than it returns. I deal with kids, teachers and parents on a daily basis in the schools, and still manage to get out once in awhile to events. I'm only saying what I see everyday, and everytime I go out. When I do this for me, it ain't in my living room, it's outside on hundreds of acres of land where I can breath free, try to use my gear for the intended purpose and not have to continually tell people: "no this stuff isn't for sale." Most people don't even wait for a break in the information anymore, they just interrupt and start talking in the middle of the presentations anyway. I hope to live long enough to see an interest return, but frankly, competing with electronic culture is a losing proposition it seems. It makes me sad to say it, but that is the reality of it as I see it from here. I used to enjoy doing the public demos and such, but these days it just makes me depressed.

Bo

Although many of us love history now, I don't think many of us did in high school. I certainly didn't. The reason was the way it was taught. Small wonder why kids today are turned off. Too many names, dates and places and not enough teaching how historical events trigger other things that lead up to why we are the way we are today.

My son is almost 13. And it wasn't until I had him watch an episode or two of Connections that he got this. If you haven't watched the series, get it from Netflix. James Burke is amazing and his history is as much suspense and intrigue as it is historical archeology - things like how gold assaying created the atomic bomb. It makes history have meaning and more important, context. I don't think it's the electronics, it's the lack of context. Living history often comes off as boring because there's simply no relevance. Watch how people's eyes light up when you explain how modern sayings that came from this time period, "Don't go off half cocked" or "flash in the pan."

And people can be turned off by a certain period of history and really find another fascinating. For me, I love the buccaneer period with Port Royal, land campaigns and Morgan. Don't really care of GAoP. So even I gloss over when I am around it. Others like the Civil War or the Revolutionary War instead of pirates. Still others like WW II events. What's rich history to one person may be dullsville to another.

It has to be interesting and it has to have relevance. Otherwise, it is just another history lesson. The only difference being the audience doesn't have to remember dates and places for the test. You simply can't please everyone.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

While making myself a nice 17th c French filibuster outfit, I decided to make myself as well a 17thc boucanier kit, perfect for summer weather.

It is a work in progress, it will be even better with some moccasins that I commissioned. I'm gona also add some blood, dirt and patina. I'll try also to make a new hat, more similar to a tapabor.

And the next step...my fusil boucanier!

costume_boucanier002.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to find the references to mosquito netting carried by the boucaniers. One was reference to tying the cloth around the waist like a sash, the other was carrying the cloth slung over the shoulder like an American Civil War blanket roll. I read through the entire 16 pages but missed them if they're in here. Could somebody help me out here please?

Thanks...

Bo

• 2 months later...

More from the book The Voyages and Travels of Captain Nathaniel Uring (1928 reprint, first published in 1726), this time on buccaneers. Uring is retelling a story told to him by Luke Haughton. I'm afraid it's in run-on sentence form, but the story is interesting enough that I decided not to alter it.

"My Padrone (Haughton - he offered Uring food and shelter when he was shipwrecked in Honduras, leading to Uring's calling Haughton this) had also been Prisoner at Havana, on the Island of Cuba and often told me how both that place and Levera Cruz (Vera Cruz), might be surprised by the English; and recounted to me how a Number of Bucaniers surprized, took and plunder'd the Latter: The Bucaniers having muster'd all their Strength, resolved upon sacking that Town; and being arrived within about Sixteen or Eighteen Miles of it, they anchored with their Ships, and landed their Men undiscovered; they marched that Night about Ten or Twleve Miles, and in the Mornging retired between the high Sand Hills which lies all along that coast: the men lay hid all the Day, and marched again in the Night, and so order'd it to surprize the Town in the Morning, at the Opening of the Gates, which they

__

effected thus: The Bucaniers were about Six Hundred Men: when they came near the Town, they halted, and sent a small Party that could speak Spanish, habited like the Country People, in order to seize on one of the Gates, as soon as they were open'd, which was executed thus: At the opening of the Gates, one of the Party mounted a Ladder, which led up to the Bastion, or Tower that commanded the Gate, and, under Pretence to beg Fire of the Centinel to light his Pipe, with his Pistol he killed him, which was the Signal for seizing the Gate; it being immediately put in Execution, they gave Notice to their Main Body, who instantly marched into the Town, and at the same Time attacked and took another small Work , both which they guarded, and then marched into the Parade; Most of the Spaniards being in Bed, could not presently get together, but soon took the alarm, and formed a Body of Horse and Foot; they marched in good Order through one of their broad Streets to attack the Enemy in Form; the Bucaniers being drawn up upon the Parade, and seeing the Spaniards marching towards them, prepared to receive them; and Part of them drew up at the End of the Street in which the Spaniards were marching, and when they came near enough to engage, they fired upon them; the Bucaniers having disposed themselves in such Order, that as soon as their first Rank had fired, they marched beyond the Street, and the Second took Place, and so the third; so that they kept a continual Fire upon the Spaniards; and having killed many of them, and their Horses not being able to stand the Fire, they were soon put into Disorder, and fled; the Bucaniers pursued them, but the Spaniards flying out of one of the Gates into the Country, they left the Chase; the Castle of St. Juan d'Uloa taking the Alarm, fired briskly into the Town, in order to beat out the Enemy, but they being resolved to plunder it before they left it, called a Consultation, to consider what was proper to be done, and resolved to seize on the Fathers which had most Authority and Respect among them; and having beheaded some of them, obliged others to carry them in a little Boat to the Castle, and present them to the]

__

Governour, and tell him, if he did not leave off firing immediately, they would use all the Fathers in the Town after the same manner. The Governour being exasperated at so inhumane and barbarous an Action redoubled the Fire, which the Bucaniers finding, they shut all the Gates of the Town, and would not suffer any more of the inhabitants to leave it, but drove them all in a Body to that Part of the Town which lay next the Fort, and most exposed to the Fire from thence; so that if they would not forbear firing they should kill their own People. When the Governour saw it, he was moved with Compassion for the Inhabitants, and ceased firing. The Buccaniers plundered the Town; and when they had so done, march'd out, carrying away with them some of the Chief of the inhabitants as Hostages for a Sum of Money, which they demanded for not burning it; and so retired to their Ships with very little loss." (Uring, p. 148-50)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hey guys and girls while some of thecomplaints about the public have some merit don't give up just yet. At the pirate festin St. louis I set up a display of celestial navigation and weapons for the public. It is not a small controlled event and not billed as a historic only event. I have had people young and old come back and pay another entry fee to bring their friends back to listen to my talk and ask questions. While some of these people are as you say walk and view many are spending as much as half an hour asking questions and listening to the answers. After thirty one years doing living history I have seen a lot. But please do not count the youth of today out yet. I have seen them transfixed and learning about everything from a mariners astrolabe to a chip log, and a traverse boaRD TO A STAR CLOCK. i HAVE FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKENDS HAD A HUGE CROWD AROUND MY DISPLAY AND IF THE FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE IS RIGHT MY DISPLAy has been talked about by more people tha the belly dancers and the other acts. We all have bad times with people but don't give up on them yet. Beeee encouraged and they will too