The Buccaneer Project

Sure it's authentic and all, but who really wants to walk around with uncured pig hide wrapped around their feet? Might not smell too bad over the weekend ....... but would you ...... start earlier in the week to get the full effect?

And who ya gonna ride to the event with, that'd smell up the car, I would think, not to mention the potential for gore and bugs an' .... just general unpleasantness.

Like gettin' scurvy just ta be authentic, or lice, or dissentary, or ........ you get the point.

I do have some tanned pigskin shoulders, might be enough to make a pair o' "moccasins" though ..... they ....... won't stink an' be slimy.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically this is an early mocassin.

Early by whose reckoning?

I was referring in the time span of the white mans contact with the various natives. I realize that most of the various Indian Nations were using the much before Colombus even toyed with the idea of sailing off from Spain.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

We're getting back to the "tanning Leather" wot we worked on back on about the second page of this thread.........

Not a lot of information about the period..... (1669).... so we have to sift through what we have and kinda guess about it....(and our interpretations of the information)

OK.. with a Buccaneer Camp next year at PiP, we wanna figure out how to do it correct.... so that is why we will post here.....

We get easily sidetracked.... about minor details...I ain't goinna argue about how tall a proper bucan should be.(if it smokes the. meat properly... it must have been tall enough).. , or this one guy said all Buccaneers wore bloody raw/untaned leather.....

But lets focus on the major ones first... then quibble about the little details/stuff later.......

SO.... with the major focus being on the Buccaneer Camp at PiP next year, and any additional information being intereresting information....(sorry... I know this isn't exactly how TWILL works.... but Heck... we'll just call it experimental archeology,... an not worry much about it..... :unsure: )

We are looking for post, quotes, information about Buccaneers from 1669'ish.... (kinda within that grenade range.... :huh: )

Some of the past post hear have been from later period..... but heck... closest we can find..... an information is good... we will sift it and interpert it... see how works......

Like I typed.... changing the focus here.... we are working on a (as close as we can get... period ) Buccaneer Camp at PiP next year....

So experimental archology at it's best.........

That's right -- damn the facts and the information that is documented and easily attainable. :lol:

Not sure what the fun of it is if you're just going to wing it and make stuff up. That's what Hollywood Pirates do. And that's what Airship Pirates do. But I thought this was a serious effort -- I know the guys from St. Augustine have a lot of insight into all this since they live an breathe it. Where's Sgt. Johnson when I need him?

The point of the camp is to educate. That requires research and adherence to the best information available. Otherwise, it's just fantasy buccaneer time and no one (the people participating and the public observing) learns anything about what it was like. The impression should be as authentic as possible, I should think.

And it's not that hard. In 2007 we did a spot on buccaneer era tavern in the fort, right down to the things that were eaten, the beverages (rum punch with muscovado, lemanado and red wine), politics of the time, the games that were played, the people who would have frequented the place and the clothing that was worn.

By the way, buccaneers made boucan two different ways - the first was smoked (there are several good illustrations of the hut used to do it, but I doubt Harry will let you build one on the beach) and the second was roasted over an open fire. The latter was for short term use and akin to today's BBQ.

Oops, sorry. Documentable facts again.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What's yer price, Sutler?

Animal

$20.00 fer the pigskin, I'll take a pic of it later an' post it. If you've seen your Cap'n's bandolier yet, it's the same material that the shot pouch is made from. Will ye comfortable wearin' his ballsack :lol: on yer feet?!

It's not very thick and it's full of holes from where the hair was, I'd live to sell it to ya but I'm not sure if it's suitable for primitive(?) footwear. You be the judge, jury ..... and if executioner I can give you a hint where ye might be able to cotch ye a wild boar over near Oak Hill. I swear I've seen and heard the durn things on the shore when we've been fishing in Mosquito Lagoon, with the Cape's assembly building on the horiz ...... ooops I almost said that out loud and let pig outta the poke .... so to speak.

Anyway if yore interested let me know an' we'll see wut we can do 'bout gittin' ya a pork shoulder (?).

Jim

Self Promoter Jim

I'm frightened by the thought that animal would have a ballsack on his feet. Egad, man!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Post a pic, Jim and I'm 98% sure I'll take it. I may be interested in in the ball sac also. I might be able to do something with it. Post both if you can.

Animal

I gotta apologize, I got busy fixing the truck today I'll get a pic o' the pigskin tomorrow, in the meantime here's a shot o' yer Cap'n's ball sack

Jim

100_0488.jpg

heh heh heh just what I thought, too small :P

Post them whenever you get a chance.

Animal

Man, I could boil that up and feed the crewe for a week. Well three days with Animal around. Pigskin Soup! A crewe favorite. Eat it first, then wear the leftovers.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Man, I could boil that up and feed the crewe for a week. Well three days with Animal around. Pigskin Soup! A crewe favorite. Eat it first, then wear the leftovers.

-- Hurricane

Wacth it Capt'n ;) Remember the buccaneer encampment may be supplying or cooking some of the meat fer the feast. ;)

Animal

Animal!

Here are pics of the pigskin

100_0573.jpg

100_0574.jpg

Jim

Sold, PM me contact info and total cost to orlando and I'll ship you a money order and my shipping address.

Thanks Jim

Animal

Fear not, Animal. I found a second reference in a book on the Bahamas that I'm doing a little research in. It also mentions the footwear made of boar skin, specifically the foreleg. So it was fairly common, really. And it makes sense. If you don't like the brambly stickery things, you can't exactly head off to the store. Got to improvise, so why not throw some spare skins on your feet and let them dry. Not only makes sense, but there's documentation to support it now in at least two places I stumbled upon.

-- Hurricane

Your humble captain

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 5 weeks later...

I've been reading 'The Buccaneer's Realm" and was wondering if ya'll had any thoiughts on the cloth that would've been used for the mosquito net.

Would it've been like today's cotton gauzy stuff? anything else may've too heavy to both carry and sleep under.

Also, has anyone cut a hat down to resemble a felt baseball cap?

Self Promoter Jim

I think that Patrick can help you with the hat. He made it from an old felt hat he had laying around. I beleive if you look through the earlier posts here he describes how he did it.

Animal

GoF made one also (look back at about page 4 to maybe 8 of this thread...) ... On mine, I turned the edges and top stitched them so the brim wasn't too floppy, (You gotta look really close at the picture I posted to see it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is more social, than Twillish, ... but I'm working on some other projects right now (Airship Pyrate stuff) So WAY off topic....

I figure by mid Summer, I should be spending more time working on my up-dated Buccaneer stuff....

I have to finish or re-do most of my clothing.

and work on some of my camping gear...

But of course, when I get back to working on it, I will post everything here.........

Yeah, I know.... Animal is/keeps "bumping" it because we are going to have a Buccaneer Camp next year at PiP.(and of course we are kinda excited about that...) .... If you have never been to PiP, or you are interested in the Buccaneer period. This is the place to post....

Thanks Pat. The Buccaneer Project and my business are the only 2 things I'm totally concentrating on right now. I have to sew the sleeves on my one shirt and am thinking about doing a wrap around shirt, kinda like a long hunter shirt, for my kit. I'm reusing some of my pants that I have already. I'm getting some pig skin from Sutler John (if I can ever get up to see him) for leggings and foot wear. I am also going to post in Twill a description of a Boucanier Barbecue. This is what I'm planning on using for cooking meat for The Hide and demonstrations during the Fest. I will unfortunately be with out a firearm again this year. My blunderbus and pistols deal has apparently fell through. It really pisses me off that people can't follow through with their deals. Oh well, enough about that. I have several small projects to finish up and when I get my card reader, will post pictures of my progress. More to come later.

Animal

• 1 month later...

I just want to say that I spent the last 2 or 3 lunch hour at work reading this tread that I find amazing!

Great job everyone on searching and digging for clues and idea on this matter and of course especially Patrick. I feel very connected to this subject since well as a French-Canadian... I speak french. Also the Quebecois word for smoke is still "boucane" (as far as I know the word is not use in France) so I'm guessing there was more interaction than one might think between boucanier and the New-France population. I will have to investigate that...

Regarding the boucanier musket, what lock was common at the time on the French side? I'm guessing not English lock, rigth?

By the way, if you guys need any translation from French, don't be shy just ask :rolleyes:

looking forward for PiP buccaner photos! :)