The Buccaneer Project

It basically goes into the Buccaneers that were in different areas, such as Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Martin, Virgin Islands, Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, Santa Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad - as read right from the contents page.

I admit it can be a rather unintrigueing book, but it is an interesting read.

There's a lot of history I haven't read elsewhere and with so few books around about Buccaneers, I think it is worth having.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on Buccaneer clothing

As I'm getting ready to re-do all of my Buccaneer kit, there are a few details that I'm thinking about...

Venetians/Knee Breaches

I'm still not convinced that Buccaneers didn't wear breaches. I'm going to re-read Exquemelin's The Buccaneers of America to see if I might have missed something. But if Buccaneers didn't wear breaches, I think it would have been mentioned.

The Differences.

The 1620 Venetians were for a heavyset man, and hooked to the inside of his doublet, the seat seam is straight, and not curved as Wagh's pattern, the pocket opening is centered, where Wagh's pattern they are slightly forward. The Venetians were closed with hooks and eyes on the inseam, where Wagh's pattern shows them closing with buttons on the outside of the leg, and there is also a thin, buttoned knee band.

I'm planning on making my new pair out of medium weight teal wool, lined with linen. I will be making them closer to Wagh's pattern, but I haven't decided if I want the leg openings to close on the inseam with hooks and eyes, or button on the outside of the leg.

I also haven't decided if I want to make the pockets out of leather or linen...

Once I start making them, I'll recharge the camera's batteries and post pictures...

• 1 year later...

I'm posting this to bump it up to the forefront as Patrick and I have a plan for the 10th anniversary of PIP. Patrick, pm me with your phone number so we can keep in contact about it or send me your email addy.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Glad to see renewed interest in this era. I know some of Willie's friends have a lot to add to this representation as well. Animal -- you gotta go with us to Searle's in St. Augustine... It's all buccaneer all the time.

I also have an illustration of how the hide was staked out to dry. That may also make a great interpretive.

-- Hurricane

I'm posting this to bump it up to the forefront as Patrick and I have a plan for the 10th anniversary of PIP. Patrick, pm me with your phone number so we can keep in contact about it or send me your email addy.

Animal

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Yeah...yeah.... I know.....I didn't get much done last year...

But since we're going to do a Buccaneer Camp next year at PiP I have to get back to this project....

Yeah, that's right..... For the 10th anniversary of Pyrates in Paradise next year, there is going to be a 1669 Buccaneer Camp.

So if anyone is thinking on working on a Buccaneer impression, PiP is going to beTHE place to be!

Start saving your money for a plane ticket, it really doesn't cost that much once you are there if you stay in the Fort... Think about it..... a buncha period Buccaneers camping on the beach in Key West.... We talked about a Buccaneer gathering earlier in this thread... Now there is going to be one.....

So after I dig everything outta storage, and start re-working some of it, I can start posting again....(with pictures and how I made it kinda things...) Some of the post won't be 100% Twill... because to be truthfully honest, there is a lot of stuff that I can't find really good documentation on... but it will be as close as possible....

I've been following this topic for a while, and it's inspiring, I must say.

I have a sad confession. I am (sorta kinda) in the SCA...Society for Creative Anachronism. Please don't keelhaul for this. Anyway, I am (very) slowly developing a buccaneer "persona", circa 1630, for this...ummm...group.

Well, they won't let me do anything paleolithic, so what other choice *is* there?

I have some ideas for kit...well, clothing, at least. Smoke and Fire catalog has a pattern for 1630 breeches that I'm planning on getting sometime...of course, I have to learn to sew, but there's another topic on this site that addresses that very concern.

I'd like to thank one and all for your info and hard work.

I *still* don't understand why SCA won't let me do anything paleolithic...its downright caveman of them!

Damn, thats sharp!

I've been following this topic for a while, and it's inspiring, I must say.

I have a sad confession. I am (sorta kinda) in the SCA...Society for Creative Anachronism. Please don't keelhaul for this. Anyway, I am (very) slowly developing a buccaneer "persona", circa 1630, for this...ummm...group.

Well, they won't let me do anything paleolithic, so what other choice *is* there?

I have some ideas for kit...well, clothing, at least. Smoke and Fire catalog has a pattern for 1630 breeches that I'm planning on getting sometime...of course, I have to learn to sew, but there's another topic on this site that addresses that very concern.

I'd like to thank one and all for your info and hard work.

I *still* don't understand why SCA won't let me do anything paleolithic...its downright caveman of them!

I don't want to drag this topic off course.... But I too am an occasional visitor to the SCA. And quite honestly, while the SCA credo states, pre 1600... The "best effort" clause seems to over ride that... And while going post period (I've done up to 1700 in the SCA) may preclude you from any SCA awards, it does not preclude you from participating. Many in the SCAdians would rather see well done post period garb than the abundance of "within SCA period" stuff that is poorly done.

A bit more back on topic, for 1630s you would really want to look for information on the "30 Years War" in Europe.

Michael_banner.jpg

Patrick, I was having trouble sleeping last night and was looking through some of your earlier posts on the project. Could you repost the images from them. The links do not work and I fear they might have been lost in the Pub transition. It would be good to see where you started and where you are now in the project.

Animal

Thanks Patrick!! Good kit, I'm also looking to redo my kit. I'm in the process of hunting down knives and a new machete. My sword was originally a machete that I have dulled for parade purposes. A year to go and so much to do.

Animal

I have about 200+ American Heritage books, and among them are some of the best sources of images I have ever come across. These were mostly printed in the 1940-1970 era. One of them is titled; Pirates of the Spanish Main. This one is from a series of "Junior Lbrary" editions, and surprisingly very acurate, even though condensed. But the images of 'boucaneers" that have been used for references occaisionally are all in this one book, along with some others I have not seen elsewhere. I wish I could get my scanner to work for me so I could put them up here. If your local library can get you a copy, I highly suggest it for image references, and reading it ain't a bad idea either!

Pirates of the Spanish Main, Hamilton Cochran, American Heritage Junior Library, Golden Press, New York, 1961. (LOC card#: 61-10676)

Bo

Oooo! What type of flint is that?! (insert breathless pants). Looks like English flint...

I have no idea.... I bought it at a local Rendezvous for $1.00.......

Not pictured is the really cool folding lead ladle I got at the Dead Man's chest auction....... :D

I spent a large part of yesterday afternoon looking for good pictures of English Civil War clothing (the Sealed Knot etc...) but couldn't find anything... I think the Venetians I've been using are close, but I wanted to find more references before I make another pair.... (it's so frickin' cold that I can hide out in my warmish bedroom and hand sew them outta some hunter green wool that I have.....)

I also started re-reading The Buccaneers of America I have to start taking notes as I read through it this time.....

Black flint is almost always English, but some American chert will look almost black. I like French Amber flint the best! But too hard to come by. I have several nodules of Texas grey flint from a freind that worked on a highway project there. GOOD STUFF! Anyhow, back on topic... i am still working out the "bugs" on hogspears and pikes, finally got through semester and have a month to play on my forge. I hope to get some things done and always make several srtrykers for warm-up practice when getting started. Anyone wants one just let me know. You pay postage and that is all. I have eight feet of commercial overhead door spring to work with, and chert grows wild in my yard!

In those images of boucaniers, I found the one of the guy with the multiple knives in a special box type rig slung over the shoulder I was looking for! I am going to re-create this with several old butcher knives I have. Will post photos when I am done.

So, Patrick got the ladle? Good home I say!

Wish I could make it next year, but classes/finals ya know. :D

Bo

I have about 200+ American Heritage books, and among them are some of the best sources of images I have ever come across. These were mostly printed in the 1940-1970 era. One of them is titled; Pirates of the Spanish Main. This one is from a series of "Junior Lbrary" editions, and surprisingly very acurate, even though condensed. But the images of 'boucaneers" that have been used for references occaisionally are all in this one book, along with some others I have not seen elsewhere. I wish I could get my scanner to work for me so I could put them up here. If your local library can get you a copy, I highly suggest it for image references, and reading it ain't a bad idea either!

Pirates of the Spanish Main, Hamilton Cochran, American Heritage Junior Library, Golden Press, New York, 1961. (LOC card#: 61-10676)

Bo

Thanks for the book reference, Bo. I'll see if I can find it and take a look. Wish you could be there next year also. Maybe Spike can come up with a class that will require you to be there :P

Animal

I read up on as much historic florida stuff as possible, and I can't remember where I read of someone coming upon a buccaneer encampment and said they wore clothes made from the skins of their kill or something of that ilk, does this sound familiar to anyone? the first pics in the thread look to me like they could very well be leather. a walk in the swamp around here will eat up jeans, with the sawgrass and palmetto, linen and the like would not hold up very well against the "stick full of hooks" as some old timers recall them.

<Chrispy under Rusty's acct.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Crusty, I believe that may be true. I was thinking on the same lines. The harshness of the brambles that wild pigs and cattle will hide themselves would tend to shred over time most fabric. I was thinking that they might dress themselves in skins as there was probably not a ready supply of shirts or material to make them. What do you think patrick?

I found a link to The Buccaneers Of America online that I am reading right now (had to open a new window to post this). I will edit this post later and post the link for those who might be interested. Here is the link:

home.wanadoo.nl/m.bruyneel/archive/tboa/tboa001.htm

Animal

Edited by Animal

Rusty, if you look closely at those images you will notice that many of the boucaniers are wearing half-leggings or over the knee gaiters for the same reasons you mentioned. Leather above the waist would be very uncomfortable I would think given the tropical climate. Other images in my book show cloth shirts and some kind of long smock-type overshirt. One of them is slit all down the front and lapped over under his belt it appears.

Bo

Some of the research I've done strictly on materials of the time said that a chamois type leather was very commonly used in the era. There are some museum pieces and some paintings that they used as an example. It was a really informative site. My thought it that leather actually breathes very well and would have been quite comfortable in the climate as opposed to wool, especially a soft chamois. Seeing as the Buccaneers were hunters leather would have been a surplus, I do know i read several sights that suggested they wore a great deal of animal skins as well. I will try and find the fashion and textiles site I found the other night and post the address here. -I thought bookmarked it but i can't find it now.

I don't doubt cloth shirts would have been common. Still I wouldn't be surprised if the jacket and maybe even the pants as well as some of the accessories - haversack etc. were of skins. I'm doing more research - Chrispy wants to be a real Buccaneer next year, so I'm looking to outfit him to join you as well....besides all he'll eat is meat anyway so at least i'll know he's fed.

actually Rusty this time --- LOL Animal on the Crusty

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

I can't remember where I read the quote, but it said basically that Buccaneers wore untanned skins... way back in the beginning of this thread there were quite a few discussions on how the Buccaneers could have tanned skins, I think "brain tanning" might be considered 'untanned skins" but we never found anything conclusive, so it's still all a guess.

I'm guessing that most of the Buccaneer's clothing was cloth, with leather leggings to protect their legs. If I lived in a tropical climate, I might get use to the temperature and wear something heavier... but at PiP, just wearing a light loose weave wool coat over my linen shirt got kinda hot..... I'm not sure how hot a pigskin jacket would be... But I think I'll stick with cloth.

Live down there a while and you would have been FREEZING that whole weekend. You really develop a tolerance for the climate. I can always tell the tourists in winter, we're in slacks and sweaters some even in coats and they are in shorts and sandals. When I lived here as a kid well young adult...i can testify to wearing leather pants to a rock concert in the middle of summer in Florida and not thinking twice about it. You really do get used to the heat.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce