The Buccaneer Project

...all native culture's seemed to know that every animal has enough brain matter to tan its own hide. .

That could well be said of humans too! We know just enough to get ourselves in a mess o trouble.....

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here Here! Well spoke! Well spoke indeed! And caught me with my broadside open for a clear shot as well! :P

I nearly broke the chair laughin at the way that one fell into place! :lol:

I'll have to watch my wordin' closer ya sly dog! Put a notch in yer pistol and have a duble on me Monterey! Ye earned it fair ye did!

Capt. Bo

Right now, “The Buccaneer Project” is kind of on hold until I can get all the parts to make a musket…. Without a musket, it’s just not “right”…..

I figure that I will use my Buccaneer stuff for going to rendezvous. It’s really the only place where it “almost fits in” (pre-1840’s) and I would get to fire my musket. Because the Buccaneer period is so obscure, no one knows what my stuff is… (OK Rumba recognized it at Ojai…) At Pyrates in Paradise, someone thought I was Robin Hood!

ON LEATHER….

I’m starting to think that it may have been brain tanned… the description of “trousers and boots of untreated hide” would fit that. I don’t think the Buccaneers did a lot of tanning, but they had the raw goods, and I can’t see them just throwing the hides away. I’m still not 100% sure about if they would have known to use the brains and then to smoke the hide tho…. But it is easier than vat tanning (no need for a vat and bark to soak the hides in…and it’s quicker)

An easy way to “slip: the hair from a hide…. Lash the hide to a simple framework, and stake it in a creek so that the water flows over both sides…. Three days later, almost all the hair will be washed off….the rest is easy enough to pull off.

Right now, “The Buccaneer Project” is kind of on hold until I can get all the parts to make a musket…. Without a musket, it’s just not “right”…..

I figure that I will use my Buccaneer stuff for going to rendezvous. It’s really the only place where it “almost fits in” (pre-1840’s) and I would get to fire my musket. Because the Buccaneer period is so obscure, no one knows what my stuff is…

I know what you mean; even tho my kit was more 1720s, everyone just opted for "pirate". There was nothing "hollywood" about it and I figured at least to get recognized as a sailor. The leather leggins/centerseam mocs under the slops threw em, though. Also I was the only one at the event with a tricorne, which weirdly enough turned a few heads.

The local muzzleloaders(all but one) have no problem with me going buccaneer, since its accurate for period if not region. But I'll plan on doing some explaining if I wear it to a rendezvous. Like you, I still need a musket, but at least I have a pistol, so that helps.

I'l have to remember the "staking in a creek" method of stripping the hair. What do you do after that to cure it, though?

:lol:

Monterey Jack

Monterey,

Depends on which method you choose to follow what the next step is. Be wary of the creek you choose as well, because of modern day pollution and farm chemical run-off. Make sure that the water flows well and constant and is fairly clear in the spot you choose. One other factor is the night critters and turtles. You could lose the hide to them if not kept watch over.

Several books are available from Smoke n Fire, and Panther Primitives, And many others I'm sure. Good luck!

Mr. Hand,

The Log Cabin Shop is a very good source for quality parts and advice on period weapons and details. They are very helpful and offer a wide range of parts and gunsmithing services as well as kit guns. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for in this area. When it comes to flintlocks, take it from experience... get the best, you'll enjoy it MUCH more when it goes off consistently, rather than the "CLATCH" of an inferior/cheap made piece.

Capt. Bo

Mr. Hand,

Belay my last! Got my lines afoul! It's Track of the Wolf that I meant, not Log Cabin Shop. Log Cabin has some stuff, but the Track is by far superior in the extreme! I'm new to the cyber world as well as this site, and it may be that you are already aware of this company. If not;

Track of the Wolf Inc.

18308 Joplin St. N.W.

Elk River, Minn. 55330

Tel. 763-633-2500

sales@trackofthewolf.com

or

www.trackofthewolf.com

Best of luck to ya..... Capt. Bo

Monterey,

Depends on which method you choose to follow what the next step is. Be wary of the creek you choose as well, because of modern day pollution and farm chemical run-off. Make sure that the water flows well and constant and is fairly clear in the spot you choose. One other factor is the night critters and turtles. You could lose the hide to them if not kept watch over.

Several books are available from Smoke n Fire, and Panther Primitives, And many others I'm sure. Good luck!

The big concern around the outlying areas by my home are nutria and beaver, but we do get the occasional bear or big cat. Fortunately I work for a leather shop so if I can't get around to making it I can purchase something similar in appearance for a decent cost.

Just got the new Smoke n Fire catalog yesterday, so I'll give er a look!

:lol:

Monterey Jack

Moterey Jack,

That is certainly a useful employment! I've used buff colored cow splits for leggins in the past, and after a few rolls in the dirt, a couple of woods walks and wading a creek or two, they look identical to any worn buckskin, and last ten times longer.( oh yeah... and wipin my greasy hands on 'em after eatin roast venison from the fire!)

I've often wanted to make it out there to see the Pacific Northwest, as I've never been farther north than San Fransisco, well actually Berkley, when I was stationed on Treasure Island in the Bay. It would be a pleasure to camp with you and nothing is impossible!

Later...Capt. Bo

Moterey Jack,

That is certainly a useful employment! I've used buff colored cow splits for leggins in the past, and after a few rolls in the dirt, a couple of woods walks and wading a creek or two, they look identical to any worn buckskin, and last ten times longer.( oh yeah... and wipin my greasy hands on 'em after eatin roast venison from the fire!)

I've often wanted to make it out there to see the Pacific Northwest, as I've never been farther north than San Fransisco, well actually Berkley, when I was stationed on Treasure Island in the Bay. It would be a pleasure to camp with you and nothing is impossible!

Later...Capt. Bo

Aye, its a real perk t' have hobbies and employment that overlap. Whenever I need new gear, I make it in the shop on company time. The boss loves it cuz it generates business. Now I'm working the buccaneer angle we've attracted a whole new mess o customers.

San Francisco's basically me adopted hometown; lived there fer a number o years and still have to go back fer a fix every so often, but I'd welcome ye in our local waters anytime!

Patrick, a ye a denizen o that part o the country? Perhaps we should organize a Traditional Buccaneer get-together down that way next year.

B)

Monterey Jack

I'l have to remember the "staking in a creek" method of stripping the hair. What do you do after that to cure it, though?

After that, I brain tanned it..... dang stinky..untill I smoked it..... but it did turn out very soft and supple.....

Patrick, a ye a denizen o that part o the country? Perhaps we should organize a Traditional Buccaneer get-together down that way next year.

I'm outta th Mountains in Central California, about 2 hours inland from the Bay Area... A Buccaneer "trek" would be cool tho.....

Other than the barrel, and lock, I'm going to make all the other parts for a musket....(going to learn how to forge this spring.... or at least burn myself trying......)

I haven't ordered anything from them, but check out this supplier for smoothbore barrels....

http://tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/ca...ategory=barrels

I'd have to grind the octagon into octagon to 16 sided just befor the barrel bands tho... I've been colecting pictures of Doglock muskets, they have a lot in common with some of the trade guns.....

Mr. Hand,

DON'T use a grinder !!! It takes the temper out of the steel of the barrel. It's very time consuming, but hand filing is the way to go unless you have access to a finely equipped machine shop. An old skinner from my home town built himself a squirrel rifle in .36 cal., and a long 'un too. He filed the whole barrel to 16 flats and MAN! What a piece!

I started forging by accident back in '96 to help out a freind who was injured. Now I've got two forges, two anvils, and more iron scraps than I'll ever use! So be warned! It's contageous! I do most of my own iron work and make some pieces for trade as well. Iron work is a great way to take out a days frustration too! I've worked with a couple of gun makers over the years, and while I make no claims to be one, I've picked up a lot of tips from those that are. Glad to share any if ya need help. I do my own gunsmithing as well, as it gives more authenticity to my goods.

Having been around this type of hobby I' ve learned to make most of the stuff we use in our camp. ( my she mate and I also have three kids between us and it's a family affair!) It gets really expensive to have to buy everything, and finding kids stuff is almost impossible.

Ah hell, I got to blabbin! Sorry. :lol:

Good luck, let me know if I can help any.

Capt. Bo

Well, hell; we could make this work! we have the blacksmith (Capt Bo) we have the leatherworker (meself) and we have the historian (Patrick); now all we'd need is a place near the sea that they'd let us shoot. We could pack in our own supplies from a designated meeting point (the rendezvous folk call it a "drive n dump"). Of course anyone interested in traditional buccaneerin is more'n welcome to come along and make a weekend of it (or more).

Granted we won't be takin any ships nor shootin any Spaniards but it'd be an interesting few days comparin notes, fighting styles, shooting styles and campin in the wild with period gear.

I won't be available til 2007 due to the HMCA seminars but I could even scout fer locations up here in the Pacific NW.

Not exactly tropical I suppose, but no Guinea worms and maggots t 'infest yer flesh either. And the closest we'de to a viper would be a garter snake......

:rolleyes:

Monterey Jack

OK...I'll try again. The last attempt to post didn't come up. Plenty of time for the planning, keep me informed and what can I do from out here in the middle? I'll be there if I don't die first! Remember...I'm a Rev War land locker here considering doing some crossover. I'll be authentic or I won't do it of course. I do earlier back to 1750 too, but I'm mostly geared for the 1760-1780 as far as accuracy in the period goes. I'll be the first to say that I would be a better Highwayman than buccaneer, but I'm there with ye! :rolleyes:

Capt. Bo

A period encampment near the Ocean! The Lost Coast Wilderness!

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=429

This is the place! Count me in gents!

Bully MacGraw

Looks like it'd be acceptable; I've been thru that area m'self two years ago. But how keen are they on muskets? I didn't see any mention of a target range or firearms permits. Bully, as ye may be familiar with the place can ye look into it?

Cap'n Bo, no worries, we all do the best we can and I think all the fellow Traditonal Buccs out here 'd be willing to help one another gear wise, and be forgivin of certain exceptions....'specially the first year out.

I'm workin on a traditional Bucc kit similar to Patricks but a tad later period (1690-1720)and me other kit is a 1750s colonial ranger outfit.

I'm also on a couple of muzzleloader lists so I'll be watchin t see if there be any good places up here.

'Course, Mendocino ain't all that far from.....Monterey(!), least not to someone who grew up down there so I'd feel right at home.

:rolleyes:

Monterey Jack

All right.... NOW ya done it! I've been goin through my gun stuff and catalogs all day! Me she mate is already givin me the queer looks of a woman that knows a storm be brewin. She says I already have too much plunder...( a 12x16 shed in the back that has nothin but "rendevous gear" inside.), and now here I go on another path.

Oh well, she survived the others, she'll make it through this one I'd reckon. I've already committed to take my oldest on an elk hunt in '07, so maybe I t will work out that we will already be in the neighborhood. Haven't got any place lined up for the hunt yet, so maybe I'll take that into consideration as well. We're goin for the archery, as we shoot "traditional" equipment .

Keep me posted and let us know what you need from this end. If nothin else, I could forge up some prizes for a shoot. Later....Capt. Bo

All right.... NOW ya done it!

Keep me posted and let us know what you need from this end. If nothin else, I could forge up some prizes for a shoot. Later....Capt. Bo

I have a friend who owns a few acres outside of LaPine, OR where we could hold a buccaneer shoot-off and a campout, but its nowhere near the Ocean. Even some range to use th' longbows if ye have em ( I shoot a 60 lb Welsh bow m'self), but I haven't found any evidence o bows with the buccs. Figure it be hard to cart one around and shoot in the jungle.

:P

Monterey Jack

That's why the hunters in the South American tribes carried those tiny little "toy" bows for shootin' monkeys. :)

Yep and apparently to ease fever as well. Dampier recorded that the wife of a chieftan had such a high fever that the natives laid her out and shot her full of little arrows til they hit a vein and she bled profusely. Then they all cheered for the "doctor" with the best aim.

Guess its comparable to todays HMOs in some respects.......

:P

Monterey Jack

I don't need to see the ocean mate. I've been on both A&P, plus the Gulf of Mexico AND the Persian back when Khadaffi was bein a dick. Just good timin an sharin is what does me the most good! Whatever ya got'll be good enough!

I'm more into the "modern" traditional stuff-(ie laminate bows)- than the self bows, but I do have a couple of eastern woodland style long bows and one plains style "horse bow". They just don't hit hard enough for me to have confidence in a quick kill. I must confess that my favorite is my vintage Fred Bear Super Grizzly, 55# @ 28", made ca 1974, and STILL knockin 'em dead!

Capt. Bo

I like the idea of a Buccaneer "treck".... wouldn't have to be on the ocean (that would be nice, but may not allow guns...) Northern California or Oregon would work for me.....

If we aim (sorry bad pun..) for sometime in the Summer of 07, that would give us enough time to get all of our kit, and weapons together.... and we could post what we are doing so others could see ....

I'll keep on it up here in the PNW; I agree we don't need the ocean, but I figured if we found a campsite in the forest and could legally go down to the beach to shoot, using the rocks as a safety backdrop we'd be better off. No worries, though; something will come up with a few of us involved in the quest.

<_<

Monterey Jack

OK, I tried this in "Beyond Piracy" and had no luck, so maybe I can get some help from you gents here.

I have an old C.V.A. Blunderbuss kit gun that I've been trying for years to decide what to do with. It's a brass barreled 12 ga., and is together and working. It's also very WRONG as far as the lock, stock and furniture go. My delima is... do I re-work the stock, change lock and furniture, or go ahead and re-build around the barrel? It needs to be done, I just cannot decide whether to desroy the original components, or keep them in case for "collector value", (if there ever is any on a CVA).

Perhaps someone can help sway my decision one way or the other. I wouldn't have chosen a blunderbuss on my own, but this was a gift a long time back, and as long as I have it , it may as well be correct in it's appearance .

HEEEELP!!! Capt. Bo

OK, I tried this in "Beyond Piracy" and had no luck, so maybe I can get some help from you gents here.

I have an old C.V.A. Blunderbuss kit gun that I've been trying for years to decide what to do with. It's a brass barreled 12 ga., and is together and working. It's also very WRONG as far as the lock, stock and furniture go. My delima is... do I re-work the stock, change lock and furniture, or go ahead and re-build around the barrel? It needs to be done, I just cannot decide whether to desroy the original components, or keep them in case for "collector value", (if there ever is any on a CVA).

Perhaps someone can help sway my decision one way or the other. I wouldn't have chosen a blunderbuss on my own, but this was a gift a long time back, and as long as I have it , it may as well be correct in it's appearance .

HEEEELP!!! Capt. Bo

Sounds like a lengthy but worthwhile project to do it up right in ye have the time, Cap'n. I'd hang on to the parts and eBay em. Then take the profits and put em toward doin the thing up your way.

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack