The Buccaneer Project

dang... going to slow... but thinkin.... where can I wear the Bucaneer stufff,.... no one will know wot it is,......................

there are times when authntisity... just don't work..............lets see how it happens at the Casa de fruta renisaunce faire...................... (and ambushing the jerk that wanted to tell alla my friends they wen't period (they were not..... but niether was he....)).... gunning fer the "wannabe costume nazi" (sorry Blackjohn..... but this guy is a jerk and deserves it..........)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some more of the stuff done today......

Put the plug in the new powder horn..... took two hours of boiling th thing to get it soft enough... maybe tomarrow, I can drill guide holes, and peg the plug into place..... then do the final finish on it.....

I re-hafted two knifes, one is this long thin kitchen knife... very scary looking, I still have to file some more of the tang off so it is flush with the handle (unfortunatly it's stainless ) the other knife is a high carbon steal, butcher knife... (need something to skin cows and pigs......) now I have to make scabards for then....

I had some canvas (OK so it's cotton..... it was left over from a work project, so I used it....) but I made a Hunting smock/shirt .... it's soaking in the sink with a buncha tea bags for a better color. Kinda glad that I made it outta cheaper cotton canvas first.... I think the next one will be a little longer.

(and ambushing the jerk that wanted to tell alla my friends they wen't period (they were not..... but niether was he....)).... gunning fer the "wannabe costume nazi" (sorry Blackjohn..... but this guy is a jerk and deserves it..........)

Oh hell, no need for apologies! If the guy is doing that, he probably does deserve it. Anyway... glad to hear you've moved forward some with the buccaneering kit.

I was very tempted by Loyalists Arms doglock muskets, thinking they'd be good for buccaneering, but instead, I just sent away for one of their doglock blunderbusses. I like the doglock because I won't feel too out of place if I slide up or down the historical scale.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Looks fantastic Patrick, nice work! :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'm going to be making myself a buccaneer outfit over the winter based on these guys

85754257.jpg85754230.jpg

I'll definitely be making use of your experience Patrick :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks all...

I've been re-thinking the hunting frock.... I made mine closer to a shirt than a coat, and am now thinking that maybe the next one will be lined with a semi tailored/fitted cut....... (the body would still be loose and baggy,) but I keep looking at the sleeves in the pictures..........

Started working on a snapsack ......

I have the bag part sewn, and it's outside as the linseed oil and brown stain dry.... figure I'll leave it drying untill next Saturday, when I'll sew the straps on.....

I saw two different versions of snapsack surfing the web.... one has a "casing" in the top, that the leather strap went through, and the other had two thongs that tied to the strap.... I've decided that I will sew the straps directly to the bag.... kinda like the way some haversacks are made....

I'll post pictures when its done.......

The machetti project is slightly on hold, till I can get a bench grinder ... I'm tired of using a file for metalwork.........

When I'm out shopping for a bench grinder, I also want to get a coconut, so I can make a bowl.....

In another three weeks, I should have enough money to send away for a Doglock musket......

Dang.... things are coming together .......

Keep at it Patrick :P

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Dang..dang..dang... I don't think the coat is quite right,.....

and the worst part,,, is that it realy botherws me....... I made the coat..... then looked at the pictures again... and dang,,, it don't look right,,,,,

OK.... try plan b..... I will figure this out.................

The flaw wiht what I'm trying to do... I don" know".... basing it all offa a picture th Foxe posted..................I'm trying... but not sure is it is corect........

It feels right,,,,, but not sure if it is corect............................

Yeah... you are, in a way, sewing blind. I wonder what they are really wearing? It appears to these tired old eyes that they are wearing shirts, maybe untucked, or maybe some type of hunting shirt, with a short jacket over. Is that what you are seeing too? My friend Scurvy Hanna was wearing a nice looking short jacket this weekend at our firelock shoot. I'm going to ask him about the pattern.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

When I was looking at those pictures and thinking about my own kit it struck me just how similar a couple of the coats look to my mid 18th pea-jacket, with the exception that my pea-jacket has mariner's cuffs which I don't see in the illustrations. My pea-jacket has the simplest of pattern, four identical pieces make the body, rather snug but not at all fitted. The front two panels are trimmed slightly to make the neck hole lower. It's got a small standing collar and bog-standard sleeves. I figure you can just play about with the length 'til it's right.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Hand,

Quick thought here mate you can save the dough you'd spend on a bench grinder by taking the electric moter out of an old appliance (washing machine dryer dish washer) picking up an arbor at the local hardware store as well as a switch and a stone and presto cheap effeciant and in my experiance more reliable than the wal mart variety. Other than that my compliments on your rig it gets better every time you post a pic and your determination is impressive.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

hitman.... a friend gave me a bench grinder... (just have to check some of the wireing....and kinda agreed to sharpen his knives in the future.... but I'd use my diamond "stone" for that... but I like sharpining knives......) so I can continue working on the machetti.....

Went to the local flea market today..... got two wool blankets... (a U.S. navy grey wool one,for $5.00, that I can scrape the letters off of, and an OLD U.S. Army blanket that has the U.S. stitched into it for only $3.00) (I like the Army blanket.....It's not as dark as modern Army blankets.... closer to an olive/kakki...... I'm picking the stitched letters out, probably messing it up, but I realy like the color of it........)

I also bought a set of cotton sheats to cut apart for the linning on the jacket.... I will have to post pictures when I get a chance, but I think it works better than the shirt style that I first tried.... closer to what Foxe described..... I cut the back "on the fold" but basicaly it is four pieces, and lined.... it looks better, and more like the picture that Foxe posted, ..... and it is much more comfortable...... I think it will be the pattern for what I will be making outta Hemp canvas and lined with linen...... Like I said, it feels comfortable and "right", and looks correct.....

Will post pictures soon......

Also, more than half way there with the money to buy the doglock musket.......

Like I typed.... I think I agree with Foxe,... (the four shirt/jacker pattern...) (? yah right.... bad discription,,, fer the jacket...))

I tried making the over coar (hunting frock) very "shirt like"... and ity did not hang right or look like the picture (obviously.. I'm using Foxe's drawings...)

SO I re-made it ...... and what I made... (ok just cotton... ) looks more like the pictures.... and is closer to period .... (wellllll ) tailorin.................. Point being.... I think I got it figured out...... So now get the real cloth......... thats why I play thith cotton...................

going to a Renn Faire next weekend.... so some photos.............

( taking a lady who has Never been to a Renn Faire... dressing her.. (OK not period) but as Pyrate.....(ok kinda sorta,,,,,) but I'll be wearing me Buccaneer stuff....... so I can get some pictures....

• 2 weeks later...

Oops... miss-posted the photo in "snapsacks"......but I think everyone that's been reading this has already seen the latest photo........ (and comments)

I will try to pay more attention in the future...... (even tho drinking lots of rum is very period..... :o )

• 1 month later...

Dang..... spent some of my musket money so I could "play" at Ojai (kinda cool that Rumba Rue recgonized the Buccaneer stuff that I wore on Sunday)

The problem right now, is that with a second job (I need the money to play, and for a musket....) I don't have the time to work on the project.... So I guess durring winter, I will re-do the jacket outta Hemp, and then a linen shirt.

But after the Buckle thread, dang.... going to have to re-think my belt..... That's part of the "problem"..... the more you learn, the more you have to "fine-tune" everything....... part of the fun of it.... but also frustrating.......... Obvously this is not a "weekend" project.....................

But I am still working on it.... the clothing, and the camping goods........... (yah.... and the musket.... B) )