The Buccaneer Project

Pretty damned ugly if ye ask me...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"unbanded dutch breeches"???????? how the bloody heck did i get dragged into this?????? And sterling, i don't care if you think i'm pretty damned ugly- you wont win the beauty contest either!

Nope but guaranteed to win the ugly contest, always do!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Maybe it's just me, but you wouldn't catch me dead in an outfit like that ^_^ And if you bunch o' joksters had me dressed like that before they put me in me grave, I would reside at Fort Zack and haunt you all. Me and the other spirits won't play nice ^_^

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Yeah... it is God awful .... alla those ribbons and icky foppishness.....

But it was (back then) the Height of fashion....

Lets put it into weird perspective....

Remember back in the "Disco Days(z) back when white polyester leisure suites were the "thing".... (yeah, I didn't wear one back then also)... But my point is... That was the fashion..... If you wanted to Pick up chicks... you dressed funny....

They did it then also.....

Animal... you are going to be happier with a long shirt, Venetians (I will send you the pattern and how to make them) a large floppy hat...etc... grungy Hunter/Buccaneer.....)

I may. or I may not ... do a Degenerate Buccaneer.... (wearing the "fancy Fopperish finery.. that has been so worn and misused (puked apron) or not.....

It is the is the ickyish clothing ever won by men.... (torn and bedraggled.....but that might make if kinda fun)

Wot a Buccaneer bought at the time to think he looked ... cool

Awh heck..... ain't gonna work out in the woods... but it looked good in town....(well till it got puked upon...)

What I will never understand about this period is how the women could look so good while the men looked so bad! Restoration Era women's clothes...YOWZA! Lots of creamy white shoulders and heaving bosoms. Men? They look like refugees from a low-rent Mummer's Parade.

Glad that I am way too downscale to need such "finery."

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Glad that I am way too downscale to need such "finery."

Yeah, but that might be kinda the fun of wearing it..... Well not what it looked like when it was nice and new, but what it would look like after a Buccaneer had been wearing it "adventuring" and it just didn't hold up too well..... :blink:

OH Boy... fun, fun, fun... trashed Foppery..... ;)

If anyone could pull of the look.... I think it might be me.... ;)

OK ~ Those that know me know you are more likely to find me anywhere else in the house than the kitchen. However, for all you cooks out there, I have found this Tourne Broche at Ruby Lane. Just outside our timeframe (1750), though it remains an interesting piece of clockwork.

Not sure if the Buccaneers would have had such a device, but it was quoted as being for the slow roasting of large and small game.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/funcollectibles/item/SSS454

To be honest, when I first saw the English Brass Spit Jack, I immediately thought of Patrick and the Steam Punk forum.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/nhantiquecoop/item/1314

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I came across a book Diosa has from 1942 on costuming. Geez, it's got some good stuff. Anyway, here's the illustration on petticoat breeches. I know, I'm a slave to fashion as I think I will be making a pair of these. It would not be unusual at all for my Henry Morgan impression, since the styles of Europe wouldn't have been too far behind, given the arrival of ships weekly from England. He'd dig a pair of these after sacking Portobello.

petticoat1.jpg

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Yeah... God awful ugly.... but that was the "height' of Fashion.....

I'm "playing " with the idea of making something like that... just to totally destroy it .... just to show what someone with more money/loot than fashion sense would do..... As in a Buccaneer that wanted to show off his wealth... and then went back to working......

But we are diverging.... what would the common Buccaneer have worn.... I might get away with making and wearing a totally "distressed " version of that sorta thing... and Animal might be able to carry off the look also....

But... I think we are back to the long un-tucked shirts, over breaches (if they didn't wear breaches, I just think there would have been more comments on that..)

What is Do-able for someone that wants to do a Buccaneer impression (without going for some of the funnier stuff)...

I don't know if I could pull off anything resembling that - distressed or not. Capt'n keeps reminding me that me and hats don't work well together. Kinda like putting an elevator in a port o jon, not really functional and it just doesn't fit. I'm just a working stiff. Leave the foo-foo stuff to those who can make it work.

Animal

PS: Wife says "Elevator in a port o jon, hmmm... that could work"

She's funny like that, weird sense of humor

Edited by Animal

yeah and you would know, wouldn't you Crispy :D I think all of us have to have wives with weird sense of humors to put up with us :D

Animal

PS: besides, I always seem to step right in front of the bullet, just ask Diosa :D

Edited by Animal

I came across a book Diosa has from 1942 on costuming. Geez, it's got some good stuff. Anyway, here's the illustration on petticoat breeches. I know, I'm a slave to fashion as I think I will be making a pair of these. It would not be unusual at all for my Henry Morgan impression, since the styles of Europe wouldn't have been too far behind, given the arrival of ships weekly from England. He'd dig a pair of these after sacking Portobello.

-- Hurricane

I have that book too, it's wonderful. Lots of detailed line drawings.

Anyway, Laird Cregar in The Black Swan plays Morgan and in a few scenes wears something similar, and carries it off quite well.

sebastienaugustebenoit2.jpg

By far the best representation on celluloid or otherwise I've ever seen of Morgan. Spot on from all the research I've done on him and my own role model for my presentation of Sir Henry. Nice someone else noticed his fine performance.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

• 2 weeks later...
Image dated to 1652, some decent details visible of common Dutch garb of that period...

793px-Charles_Bell_-_Jan_van_Riebeeck_se_aankoms_aan_die_Kaap.jpg

Where does one *find* a wide-brim high-crowned Dutch hat? I'd even settle for an ECW-era hat, but cannot find one for love or money.

Mike the closest I've seen may very well be a CW Hardee hat, that's gonna be pretty close. Probably enough for horseshoes or hand grenades. The crown's not quite as narrow but the hat is tall. If need be, guess what, I can get those too.

Jim

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, to be reasonably 'authentic', wouldn't that require being French, jerking pigs on a spit, and living in the Carribean??

Nah..... not all buccaneers were French.....

And they were hunting wild cattle and pigs... turning them into jerkey....

Living in the Carribean...... hummm...... I like that idea ;)

unless you know the right people in Florida.

Hummm Lots of the members of Pirates of the Coast are from Florida........ boy, are THEY going to wonder about a wierd e-mail.... ;)

heh heh heh already workig on that gator item. Be a good pyrate and ya never know what Santy Pyrate might bring ya :angry:

Wanted to bump this so it doesn't get buried.

Animal

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, wanted to bump this again. I got Benerson Little's book The Buccaneer's Realm. I was reading a section on the early buccaneers and saw a passage on clothing. Concerning footware, he mentions them using green pig hide and wrapping them around their feet and letting them dry, ensuring a perfect fit. Basically this is an early mocassin. If I can find a pig hide, I may try to do this. More later.

Animal

I haven't been doing much of anything new on my Buccaneer stuff..... other projects keep getting in the way.....

Well I did start knitting a cap......

I'm not worried about it though, other than a shipping box for my doglock, I could have it done in about a week of sewing....

This really doesn't belong in TWILL, ...I'll post it somewhere else if I get more of it done...

I was thinking about Mission's post about the food Pyrates ate, and how interesting the Early period of Buccaneering was... exploring and learning new things (like what you can eat..., and what can eat you... :lol: )

A role-playing game about the period wouldn't have the same level of mystery.... but what about a game that was based off the Buccaneers, but set in space?

Kinda weird twist on History, but it would be an interesting way to get a feel for the real period....

I'll have to try and block out the rules, and see if it works.... if so, I'll let anyone interested know where I finally post the rules....

<the weird things that float through my head at 4 in the morning when I can't sleep...... :( >

I was looking at those images again really close and decided that the knife case the one guy is wearing is made from gator hide. If you look really close you can see the grain/print on the case. I want to re-create this really bad. I'll have to start looking at ladies purses at the flea-markets from now on! I'm gonna have me one of those to carry my butchering knives in.

Bo

I was thinking about Mission's post about the food Pyrates ate, and how interesting the Early period of Buccaneering was... exploring and learning new things (like what you can eat..., and what can eat you... :( )

You do know that the buccaneers weren't alone where they were. There were natives who showed them all this stuff. They didn't do as much experimentation as you may think, but learned from the people who had already figured it all out. Not much different than now - if you go to the rainforests or even another country where everything is unfamiliar to you, someone has already figured everything out for you - what items you can eat, what will kill you, which vegetation has healing properties or can poison you and what wildlife it edible and what will eat you.

Buccaneers just didn't show up on a deserted island in the tropics. The islands already had residents...

----

ALLIGATOR

If you're looking for skins, here's a resource -- http://www.alligatormarket.com/?gclid=CJTm...CFQXGsgod4wKr0w -- these are top grade Florida skins from the wild gators.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny