Filming has begun...possible spoilers ahead

Iron Bess

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pirates Sequel Poster in Theaters

Walt Disney Pictures has distributed this first Pirates of the

Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest teaser poster to theaters.

Read More:

stars on top

Why Look!!

It's the very poster I have hanging up in my office! (chuckle)

Sorry guys, had too. :o

Of course the invite is still open for anyone that would like to come by the Studio and visit. No, they are not filming here at the moment but we still have some pretty cool stuff around here including ROY DISNEY who came back today!

(sigh) Life is good. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Of course the invite is still open for anyone that would like to come by the Studio and visit.

WOW, that's a fantastic offer :)

If i lived there i'd love to, anything Disney present or past is always interesting including seeing where you work :D

hero.jpg

WHAT?! Roy is back!!

That is a truly great thing if it means someone pulled their head outta ...

:P

Yes he is...

I was coming back from the Disney University this morning and passed by two gents talking in the rotunda. This voice says:

"What? No hug??"

I turn back and there is Roy with a really boring golf shirt on and his arms open wide.

After my sudden shock wore off it was back to normal and I said:

"Roy! Oh my Lord! I didn't recognize you without one of those really ugly Hawaiian shirts on!" (A running thing with us)

We talked a little and I can tell you, the place already feels differnt.

Yeah, it's good to have him home. :)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Hey uh, Iron Bess. Disney need any graphic designers? :huh:

Not right now Pirate.

Truth is they are laying off at the moment. But things turn around quickly here. You never know. :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

[That is a truly great thing if it means someone pulled their head outta ...

:P

Yes he is...

I was coming back from the Disney University this morning and passed by two gents talking in the rotunda. This voice says:

"What? No hug??"

I turn back and there is Roy with a really boring golf shirt on and his arms open wide.

After my sudden shock wore off it was back to normal and I said:

"Roy! Oh my Lord! I didn't recognize you without one of those really ugly Hawaiian shirts on!" (A running thing with us)

We talked a little and I can tell you, the place already feels differnt.

Yeah, it's good to have him home. :)

Now if you can get him back in those Hawaiian shirts all will be trully well. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

just a question, how hard is it to get a job as a costume designer at disney? or any other studio, but preferably disney?

The Disney wardrobe dept was pretty much dismantled to cut costs.

Nowadays, productions bring in outside designers or just use what we have in stock costumes.

Penny, who designs all the POTC costumes was hired by the production Co.

Sorry lass. :D

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Now if you can get him back in those Hawaiian shirts all will be trully well. :)

Yeah well, I think MRS. Disney will take care of that in short order. :D

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Now if you can get him back in those Hawaiian shirts all will be trully well.  :)

Yeah well, I think MRS. Disney will take care of that in short order. ;)

His wife dresses him in ugly Hawaiian shirts! ;) Usually it's the wife who trys and dissaudes the husband from dressing in them. ;) Must be a very tolerant woman. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Hey, we've got 2 days off due to weather concerns. Too choppy out there. The Pearl looks good, and the other ships look great too. Just relaxing and drinking rum (on my own time) and reading about Bart Roberts. Bess, is Roy coming back, or just visiting? Wish I had a woman here. Sorry, just a piratical desire. Guess I'll go drink some more. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

OK, it's Saturday, and so far it's done nothing but rain for hours. Not much filming getting done. We're waiting for the Pearl to sail in again, although, for the life of me, I'm not sure what we'd film once she gets here. " It must be great to work on POTC in the Bahamas". For the last week, I've been sitting in my weapons truck or the hotel, fighting the rust on the guns and swords. Don't get me wrong, when the weather changes, I'll feel pretty lucky, but right now, it's pretty taxing. I'm tired of being wet. Thank goodness there's the Pyracy pub, so I can whine. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

Yuck. I know how ya feel Billy. Back when I was doing practical FX for independant films up here (never wanted to move south) there were times we were shooting all nighters and I would be stuck with a smoke machine or something, lying in the street under a car waiting for a take.

Of course there would inevitabley be delays and so there I would sit in the damp, freezing cold waiting. But I was young and making films! Wheeee.

Then I finally grew up and got into CGI. Then I just sat at a computer all night...

Hang in there mate! I'd be buyin' ya a rum if I were there. :D

Well Ace, I take heart in thinking of my paycheck. Rather mercenary sounding, since I'm doing what I like to do, but it cheers me all the same.

Capt. William Bones

Great to hear that Roy Disney is back where he belongs. :D

So Bess, when can I come up and visit? Maybe I'll bring my older son since he's into drawing.

And Billy Bones, glad the pub is here for ya, lad. Your reports from location are very welcome. Them actors may get all the recognition but it's the crew what makes things happen. A toast t'ye, mate. ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane Wilma may set us back a day or two, but movie II is almost done with principle photography.

Just an update.

Capt. William Bones

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this was posted already, but it sounded good.

First Look: 'Pirates: Dead Man's Chest' (from the MSN site)

We visit the set of the new 'Pirates of the Caribbean.' Plus, Banderas and Zeta-Jones return to 'Zorro' and Cage is a 'Weather Man'

Oct. 27, 2005

Beware! There be spoilers here!

Studios often go to extreme lengths to keep the story line and imagery of an anticipated movie secret. Such is the case with "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," the first of two sequels featuring the return of Johnny Depp as the immensely popular Captain Jack Sparrow (oh, and two nobody's named Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley). So, imagine my surprise to discover that a Universal Studios Theme Park tour van picks up park goers every day right in front of one of the production's busiest sound stages. MSN was lucky enough to attend a set visit for the film. Here's a peek at what those park goers weren't supposed to see.

The visit was arranged for select members of the press, and before we even enter the stage area, we see actor Stellan Skarsgard walking out of the set. Skarsgard plays legendary pirate Bootstrap Bill, and his costume is covered with barnacles and a few strands of seaweed. His eyes are red and his skin is blue grey. As his fellow actors appear behind him in similar attire, it's clear they're unlike any sailors we've seen before.

Entering the stage, we set foot on part of the pirate ship The Flying Dutchman. Strangely, the ship looks like it has been sitting on the floor of the ocean for decades. That the ship is even seaworthy can only be attributed to its captain, Davey Jones, who is Captain Jack's new nemesis. You see, The Flying Dutchman's seaworthiness is all due to another one of those pesky curses. Thankfully, John Knoll, visual effects supervisor, sheds more light on the situation.

"Once he [Jones] collects the souls of sailors who die at sea -- and the longer you serve on the Dutchman, the more you gradually become of the sea -- so, somebody who's recently joined the crew still looks fairly human and somebody who's been serving on the crew for 200 years doesn't really even have a face any more," Knoll says.

Knoll speaks the truth, because we've seen some of the conceptual drawings for Jones that will keep the team at Industrial Light and Magic very busy. Jones appears to have multiple squid tails coming out of his face and a crab leg that functions as a peg leg. It's one of many reasons why this has twice as many CGI shots as the first "Pirates."

"Last time, we had to figure out the look of the skeletal pirates, how to do those transitions, how to do convincing ship-at-sea shots and a variety of matt paintings to establish the locations," Knoll says. "And here there's just more. There are more locations, more ships, the characters are more complex. It's all harder than the first one."

Knoll isn't complaining. He gets to help create the Cracken, a half-squid, half-octopus monster that attacks the Black Pearl. Who could say "no" to that?

Next: What does the Soothsayer of the Bayou foretell?

-----------------------------------------------------------

More 'Pirates' Set Visit (from MSN site)

Shooting two "Pirates" sequels (the third movie will be released after "Dead Man's Chest"; the date is unknown) back-to-back is a tremendous undertaking. Although it's a Disney film, sound stages are being used on both the Universal and Disney lots. Plus, there have been weeks of shooting on the sea in St. Thomas. Leaving Universal behind, our party heads over to Disney Stage 2 where a beautiful bayou set has been created.

A few days before, the cast filmed a scene here where a soothsayer, played by Naomie Harris ("28 Days Later"), warned Captain Sparrow of a dire future. The set, which resembles an Indian river in Dominica, features multiple huts and incredibly realistic trees constructed completely of plaster. It contains a three- to four-feet deep "river" that boats can sail through. The set is so fun to walk around that you wish you could bring it home. Credit this stunning creation to one of the few new additions to the "Pirates" creative team, Oscar-winning Production Designer Rick Heinrichs ("Sleepy Hollow"). He admits that although the new films have a broader scope than the original, the practical sets have been less challenging than having to build boats from scratch.

"We're building boats that actually work on the water," Heinrichs says, noting another upgrade on this production. "The Black Pearl's built on top of another boat. It's got twin diesel engines and can have quite a bit of a bow wave this time. [That's] something [director Gore Verbinski] really wanted to do. He felt that in the first movie, all the boats felt a little turgid, and they were basically barges that were being dragged behind another boat. This time we actually built the boats so they do have that feel of reality to them."

Not anticipating any sequels, the studio destroyed a number of sets from the original movie. This has given Heinrichs the opportunity to recreate different sections of the Black Pearl. Walking onto the sound stage version of the Black Pearl's cannon deck was quite a thrill. It seemed incredibly realistic down to the rusting of the cannons themselves. But, then again, are cannonballs supposed to be light enough to toss back and forth?

Our last stop was the Captain's Quarters on the Black Pearl. Although it looks similar to the first one, Heinrichs has gone all out using real (and expensive) mahogany wood. Funny, it seems a bit too nice for Jack Sparrow. It definitely is more Barbosa's style... but too bad he was killed off in the first movie.

So, with a wave goodbye from our friendly Disney publicist, the sneak peek at "Dead Man's Chest" ends with Depp, Knightley or Bloom nowhere in sight. Of course, one of them was around during our visit to the sets of the third "Pirates" movie, but that's a tale for another time.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg