Pirate Fan Trip

hurricane

Maybe Pirate week on Barefoot Cruises. :lol: The captain can marry ya on one of those "mysterious islands" that they come across for lunches that noone lives on.

Lucky Pirate! I wish we had the money to go on this trip. :) It would be a bast! :lol: Lucky Morgan's wife! *grins*

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooo!  That may sway her!  Actually, the whole "sailing ship to Nassau" has her drooling...

Well the add this... Capt Hurricane from Pyrates of the Coast and I will be on the cruise, and we will bring along a cute pirate wedding kit(it's a joke kit, but funny) for you guys, and wedding gifts. How's that for a bribe :)

Here's hoping for lots of pirates to play with on the trip :)

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all!!!

I am beginning a sail that will be on the same ship that will be used for the summer POTC trip. It's wonderful!!!

My fist impression -

The upper decks are open, airy and last night while it was a wee bit breezy and cool(for the islands at least), the breeze caused the rigging to play a very soothing song as it shifted and clanked in the wind. I can easily see how one could fall into a blissful sleep beaneath the stars, lulled by the sounds of the vessel.

Later today we take part in hoisting the sails and setting out to sea!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Day 2 aboard the Legacy..... we set sail in the alate afternoon, after a day of provisioning on the island... as we pulled out of port, we noted a massive British ship headed our way(The Queen Mary 2). Despite the fact that she was many hundred times our size, the Captain pulled up along side her and began broadsides. He fired three times at her, the blast echoing off the other ship was nearly deafening. There was no return fire from the other vessel. We considered this a victory, and there were extra radions of rum and freshly acquired fruit for all aboard. As more rum was consumed, the ship turned into a party atmosphere. There was music all about, dancing and singing. After a few hours of revelry, I found myself called up to the poop beck to admire the sky once again. As I spotted my celestial pal, Orion, a shooting star flew from his shoulder into the north sky. I consider this an omen that the remaning travels will be favorable.

More to come

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Guest SirenSong

I have not signed up yet. I wanted to but my hubby said if I won he would not go...I dont want to go by myself but it's looking more intresting by the moment..

Diosa will have much more to share about the upcoming trip. It truly is a once in a lifetime chance - most of the places we are going to be able to visit either aren't open to the public or simply not part of any tour. This is the only chance to visit some of these spots, or to do things like the lantern lit evening at the fort or the visit to Captain Morgan's estate ruins (which is now on private property. The governments have been very cooperative with the travel company putting this on so it should be amazing.

So now's the time to refi the house, sell the children and hawk your spouse. Because this may not ever happen again. It's been two years in the making...

More upon Diosa's return, not only about the itinerary but they Legacy's accommodations and specs. She's at Norman Island today, heading back to St. Thomas tonight. Ah, tough duty.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Grrrr... if the wife doesn't wanna go, I may have to end up shanghai'ing her... or going by me onesy... *sigh*

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Greetings all... I am back on dry land.... and off that lovely vessel :lol: But I come bearing info!! lots and lots of info!!!

I will try to answer questions in order...

1. Accommodations - The Tour operator (Jeannie at Beyond Boundaries) was very picky on the ship. She wanted sails, and the pyratical sailing feeling, but also wanted to make sure eveyone would be comfy in their rooms. For that reason, each room has it's own bath. The rooms range from singles to doubles.... to some that can sleep 4-6. Keep in mind this is a ship, so any rooms with more than one bed will have one above the other(space constraints being what they are) but they were pretty nice. Besides, if you're like me you don't spend too much time in a room. But it is nice to have the space where you can lay out your stuff.

2. Siren, they are good at pairing people up for roommates if you need one. What will happen, is you have to put your deposit down on the trip, tell them you are looking for a rommmate, and then you will be given access to a chatroom they set up for all the folks going on the cruise. Up until just a little before the trip you will be able to chat with all the other individual travelers and try to find someone you want to room with, then you just tell the folks at Beyond Boundaries.. and they'll take care of pairing you up in the room. So, you don't have to have that all sorted out ahead of time.

3. Capt Morgan.... if you're trying to convince..... try this photo... :)

sunset1.jpg

This was pretty much the daily evening view...also Capt we will be spending a whole day on a deserted island for meals, fun and our own 'bonfire scene' like that from POTC and some other activities that would be great for a barefoot on the beach wedding renewal!

I am still unpacking and such, but I will get back here with more details of the summer trip ASAP.

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

All I can say is, "Wow...!"

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Alright Pyrates....

It it time for Part 1 of the POTC Fan trip planned for June 10-18th 2005.

As some of you know, I recently went on a sail on the Legacy(The ship that will be used for the first part of the trip) and during my sail, I was given the 'inside' of what will be happening throughout the trip!

Here's some of what I learned.

The trip will begin in Miami. You won't have a problem finding your ship, it will be the one with the skull and crossbones flying! The ship is 294 feet long, and about 40 feet wide. It holds 43 crew members, and about 100-120 passengers. It's nice and quaint and everyone can get to know thier fellow travelers.

Unlike other trips, you are not just given a name tag and an itinerary. On this trip, once your step aboard the ship, you will get a name tag, but that tag will let you know which pirate crewe you are on. The passengers will be divided evenly among various pirate crewes. Those crewes will be in competition against one another for doubloons and special prizes. In true pirate fashion, on day one, all the members of each crewe will be brought together for a meet-up, those who wish to be Captain will have a chance to petition for the job, and the democratic voting take place. I am not going to divulge too many details of what all will be involved with being a part of the crewe, but frankly, from what I know, I have a feeling it will be a blast!

There will be typical ship activities as well as some specialized ones for this trip... one hint..you will find more than just fresh towels in your room every day... Also on the first evening in addition to having a dinner with the Legacy's Captain Brent, he has agreed to join everyone on the upper deck for some astronomical navigation. I can honestly say, the best part of my sail was laying on the deck and looking at the sky above the rigging - truly amazing!!!!! I also heard tell, there could be a pirate movie shown on the upper deck as we sail through the evening. Imagine - watching a pirate movie, out in the open air, as you sail as a pirate would have on the ocean!!

Day two will have us arriving on a deserted island. We will have almost a full day on the island, which will be comprised of regular treasure hunts, archaeological treasure hunts, snorkel/dive opportunities and a couple of other surprises (for one, think the POTC scene early in the movie where Will and Jack are trying to take the ship from the harbor) and the evening will be capped with (weather permitting) a bonfire during which we can dance around the singing "Pirates life for me" while waving our rum bottles. There will also be educational sessions during the day on knot tying (nothing like knowing how to tie a handcuff knot), coins of various ships/time periods, the Captain may teach a wee bit of celestial navigation with the sexton just before sunset, and more.

Day Three will offer pirates a chance to have sticky buns(Fresh made in the galley every morning) on the beach to watch the sunrise from our island, and then we'll set sail early in the day to get to Nassau by dinner. There will be more activities during the day, including culinary lessons(nothing like making a big bunch of hardtack and a costume contest to prepare for the evening pirate feast. The contest will have a number of awards from funny, to original, to historical accuracy, and a few more fun things (let's just say it would pay to brush up on your pirate movies and books)

The ship will arrive in Nassau just in time for dinner.... which I will tell more about in a later chronicle....

Diosa

PS. Some had asked about seasickness. I am a scuba diver, but I rarely dive because I have to take a small boat out to dive sites, and that usually leads to me getting very sick. For those of you who don't know, I am also a reporter. I have the rare honor of being able to say that on a dive for the media to a newly sunken ship, I hurled for both CNN and National Geographic. With that said, I only experienced 1-2 slightly 'off' moments in 6 days aboard the ship. I took my dramamine religiously. The first night I felt a little 'off-balance' but as soon as I walked out into the fresh air, I was fine. We also had at least one really really rough day, but I was surprisingly ok!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Wow! I'm ready to go (oh, I am already...)

I'm looking forward to the historical aspects of sailing, the navigation training and visiting some of the lesser known islands that haven't yet sold out to touristas.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I don't suppose it is wheelchair acess, like have the money anyway,lol. But Maybe my next year!!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

I don't suppose it is wheelchair acess, like have the money anyway,lol.  But Maybe my next year!!

This particular ship is not... ALTHOUGH, the ship Jeannie is looking at using for a future Pirate themed trip (which will be in europe) is completely wheelchair accessible!

Just as a note... this is never the same trip twice. Every themed trip they run is differently, with new exclusive events. That is why they tend to get lots of repeat travelers.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Greetings all, as promised, I now bring you part 2 of the POTC June 10-18 Fan Trip.

Once we arrive in Nassau Sunday evening, we will be doing what many do - go to The Pirates Museum. But we will be doing it differently.

First, for those of you who don't know the museum... it's a complete immersion experience. Your adventure begins on a moonlit dock amidst the smells of sea salt and tar in the year 1716. A women sweeping the dock sets the scene for your adventure as she talks about a captain with a collection of ears " as long as your arm. " The we all board a replica of the pirate ship Revenge " and enter the world of cutlass wielding, bloodthirsty pirates. Here are a few pics to give you a feel for the inside of the museum.

jppiratemuseum1.jpg

mus14pirates2.jpg

The museum itself is quite an experience. But instead of seeing it with other groups of tourists - imagine taking over the museum. That is what will be happening for our trip. The folks at Beyond Boundaries have us arriving at the museum after it closes to the general public. It will be all ours, and we will wrap up our evening there, at a pirate themed dinner -something other visitors cannot do.

Monday morning has us at a few sites in Nassau

Among them. The Woods-Rogers home. For those of you who don't know, Captain Woods Rogers was named first Royal Governor of the Bahama Islands. He also was not very friendly to our kind. He is the one who restored order to the islands, which means the pirates who had been using the area as a base, were homeless or hanging.

Also, a planned visit to Fort Charlotte

42170065.jpg

It was constructed from 1787 to 1789. It is on top of a hill, so you wanna talk about nice views! The fort iself, has old cannons, dungeon-like rooms that are underground, a moat, a drawbridge, etc.

More sightseeing after that, a bit of shopping, and then we will hop a

flight to Kingston, Jamaica

more to come....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

The continuing chronicles of the upcoming POTC Summer trip June 10-18 2005.

Monday Afternoon will have us arriving in Kingston, Jamaica where we will check in to recently completely renovated Morgan's Harbour Hotel. History buffs, here's where you're going to oooh and aaah. For those don't who know the story of the Pirate side of Port Royal. The pirate hangout portion of Port Royal was relocated beneath the surface of the ocean by an earthquake in 1692, and now looks a bit like this

post_exc.jpg

There have been some marine archaeologists with the Jamacian National Heritage Trust who have been diving to the site and finding artifacts. One of those marine archaeologists will be coming to the hotel to hang out with us,. talk about the research, discoveres, and I hear there will even be a chance to view of some of the artifacts!

That will set the mood for what we'll be doing on day 5.

Go to the 'above water' Port Royal

j08-tower.JPG

for a day of history and treasure hunting.

We will see many sites, bow our heads for a moment while we look out at gallows point, but one of the very cool things is that at St Peter's Church, we have special permission to view the articles donated by Sir Henry Morgan which he "acquired" from one of his raids on Spanish ships. This is stuff you usually don't see!

Then we'll got back to the hotel to rest up for the evenings meal.. Instead of any old dinner... we will take over Fort Charles...

Fort%20Charles%20Port%20Royal%20016.jpg

One of the few remaining buildings to survive the 1962 earthquake that sank Port Royal... picture the fort lit by torches and lanterns and all those in attendance(only in our group) entering in dresses and coats reminiscent of the early dinner/ball scene in Cutthroat Island or the Promotion ceremony of POTC with 18th century music playing. In addition to dinner, there will also be Jamaican Rum and coffee presentations and tastings. For anyone who was at Pirates in Paradise in December and was at the Feast at the Fort - in my opinion, this is like that - on steroids. We'll be at a fort that was manned by the Britsh for over 250 years, a major piece of pirate history. It's intact, and it will just be our group there, all in costume, taking in the feeling of manning that fort hundreds of years ago, under a beautiful caribbean sky!

More later....

By the way...anyone who wants to see everything that the trip will entail before I finish my observatory play by play, check out the folks who have put it together.

Beyond Boundaries Travel

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I sent in my deposit for the trip. Huzzah!

Also, I have pix of the Nassau Pirates Museum up on my website now from when I was there in January.

http://www.pirates.admiralsarms.com/

By all means, kill the whelp!

...or at least give him a good flogging. Better yet, let me do it.

Flogger * Pyrates of the Coast

Bloodthirsty Novelist

Pyrate Adventuress

I sent in my deposit for the trip. Huzzah!

Also, I have pix of the Nassau Pirates Museum up on my website now from when I was there in January.

http://www.pirates.admiralsarms.com/

Wonderful! Welcome aboard! and good timing, Jeannie with Beyond Boundaries says they have already booked about 2/3 of the ship.

Anyone who wants to make sure they can get in at the price on the website needs to get moving... they are running out of the standard cabins, and soon it will only be upgrades available!

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that settles it... I mailed my deposit today... WOO HOO!!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

The continuing chronicles of the upcoming POTC Summer trip June 10-18 2005.

Tuesday

First thing in the morning what do you need? Coffee! So we start the day at the Mavis Bank Coffee Factory. it is one of the oldest surviving blue mountain coffee processing plants. They'll show you the process of making thier java.

Then another WOW portion of the trip. We will be going to Sir Henry Morgan's lookout in Flamstead. Now, this is not open to the public. The property for this Plantation is owned by Ambassador Peter King. He will be hosting our tour group at his family home on the property. Picture this. You will be standing on the spot that Sir Henry Morgan used both as a pirate and as the Governor of Jamaica. He swore by that location as the spot where you could see any prey coming(during his pirate days) or any enemy on the horizon, and prepare to stop them(during his days as Governor). Ambassador King will have lunch with us, and then give us a presentation on the property and it's history. Just imagine, looking out at the same view that Morgan had centuries ago....

After lunch we leave Flamstead for a city highlight tour of Kingston including a stop at the Devon House

devonmain.jpg

And then time for a little fun. We will end the day with a visit to a recording studio where the group can make a rasta-pirate or traditional pirate CD.

More to come...

By the way...anyone who wants to see everything that the trip will entail before I finish my observatory play by play, check out the folks who have put it together.

Pirates of the Caribbean Fan Trip

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Capt -

You and the wife going for the honeymoon you didn't get?

Unfortunately not... only after I booked the trip did she inform me of her sea-sickness and fear of open water... my uber-cool sister will be taking her place. My wife's loss, I say!!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

Capt -

You and the wife going for the honeymoon you didn't get?

Unfortunately not... only after I booked the trip did she inform me of her sea-sickness and fear of open water... my uber-cool sister will be taking her place. My wife's loss, I say!!

Ah, well the fear of open water is one thing, but as I mentioned before, I am known to feed the fishies regularly on boats, but with some Dramamine I was fine on this trip.

Alas, I am sure you and sis will have a blast with us! Looking forward to meeting you!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Alas, I am sure you and sis will have a blast with us! Looking forward to meeting you!

For sure! I'm counting the days...

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast