Barbossa's sword

Red Maria

While watching POTC I thought the sword Barbossa used was either a transitional rapier or early small sword. After viewing it up close, at the El Capitan exhibit, I see it has a single edge so it can't be neither of those two kinds of blades. Does anyone of what kind of blade could be a straight, single edge blade of that period? Or does anyone think it's just a made up blade for the film?

Just wondering.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Aye Lass,

It appears tha' it could be a Mortuary Sword....

Mind ye, all cutlass do nay have a curved blade, many a cutlass is a straight, single edged blade...

Not quite right but meebe, here's a Mortuary Sword; http://www.swordarmory.com/medieval_swords/2004gt.htm

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

If yer lookin' for Swords that were shown in POTC. I recommend some lads in Canada known as layalistsarms.com They did some of the prop work for POTC.

Not anly can you see some great Cutlasses there but also small swords (Much like the one Wiill presents to the Gov. in the begining of POTC) as well as flintlock pistols and Musketts. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Another link of interest: The Sword & Stone in Burbank, California. These gentlemen did a few of the swords seen in the movie, namely: Barbossa's, the British Cutlass, the Captain's Sword, Sparrow's Cutlass, a Treasure Sword and Will's Cutlass.

Very friendly folk, and while I've never ordered from them online, I have them to thank for a fine rapier. I live about five minutes away and they've been there for a while (the legendary Jody Samson started there), so I would regard them with a high degree of confidence.

The Touring Gentleman

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

Another link of interest: The Sword & Stone in Burbank, California. These gentlemen did a few of the swords seen in the movie, namely: Barbossa's, the British Cutlass, the Captain's Sword, Sparrow's Cutlass, a Treasure Sword and Will's Cutlass.

Very friendly folk, and while I've never ordered from them online, I have them to thank for a fine rapier. I live about five minutes away and they've been there for a while (the legendary Jody Samson started there), so I would regard them with a high degree of confidence.

The Touring Gentleman

Thankee, Touring Gentleman. I've been rackin' me brains tryin' to recall where I mislaid that site. I kept thinkin' David Baker.

It's interesting that the two Barbossa swords are essentially identical to the Napoleonic sword at the site used in Highlander Endgame. If memory serves me right, it does look a lot like some of the French horseman's swords used during the Napoleonic era. If the guard were heavy and that shell solid, the guard would also look a lot like those of some of the German dragoon swords from earlier in the 18th century.

Of course, both would have had longer, slightly broader blades.

That's awesome. Too bad you can't buy the Barbossa sword...

It never hurts to ask, Mad Mary.

Movie swords are often licensed, and the makere doesn't necessarily hold the license. However, Swatton seems to have used the same design for two different movies, so perhaps he does.

You might email him and ask. As a maker told me once: "Asking is free".

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm.... very interesting.

I know I would LOVE to have a replica of Barbossa's pistol. That's for sure. The sword maybe.. but not necessary, although it is quite nice.

I know other people, besides myself who would LOVE to have Barbossa's pistol.. more a replica of the pistol. :lol:

Now.. if we can only find someone willing to do Barbossa's ring! :D

Thank you very much for the insight, mates. Oooh, I'm sure this will also come in handy for someone who will be dressing up as Barbossa & the costume I have seen via pix online.. DEAD ON! No kidding.. the person who made a replica costume did one hell of a job! exact material as well which I was highly impressed.

Huzzah!

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Here is the direct link to the sword. That was one of the only problems I had with POTC. There wasn't one belled cutlass. They were all more sabre styled or as Dorian pointed out, Mortuary. Not neccessarily a bad thing but Pirates would have carried what ever would have been plundered or bought with prize taken. I loved the use of Hammer and axe which was accurate. But with Disney you have to always give in to "It was in the script".

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I think Deacon's right on this one. It really appears to be a late 18th C cavalry hilt. The blade's a bit short for that, but otherwise it looks right. Looking at the picture on the link, it's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the back third of the blade may be 'sharpened'. I'd also be interested if that were the only blade made with that hilt. The site says forged steel, but most movie swordplay is done with aluminum blades for safety. Could there have been a couple of clones done from this for the combat scenes?

It's also interesting that the credits for the movie do not name the swordmaster. I'd really be interested to know who trained them for the fight scenes.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Oh, just ask that one now. Yesterday I could have told you. One of those I could tell you if you wouldn't have asked me moments. (lol)

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

That's interesting...

I have an electronic press kit, and according to the property master, Charles M. Stewart, they bought Jack's sword in London, and it's dates back to 1750. The blade is rather worn, as you can see in that scene where Jack asks Will whether he can sail under the command of a pirate or not. http://kimera.shadow-dancing.net/ ...or is that Will's sword....Dang, I'm confusin' meself...

My question is this: Was there more than one sword/cutlass that Jack used?? I have to admit that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to whether or not Jack had the same sword thoughout, especially in the smithy....

das

Hm...

I have an electronic press kit, and according to the property master, Charles M. Stewart, they bought Jack's sword in London, and it's dates back to 1750.  The blade is rather worn, as you can see in that scene where Jack asks Will whether he can sail under the command of a pirate or not.  http://kimera.shadow-dancing.net/potc/potc_380.jpg  ...or is that Will's sword....Dang, I'm confusin' meself...

My question is this:  Was there more than one sword/cutlass that Jack used??  I have to admit that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to whether or not Jack had the same sword thoughout, especially in the smithy....

das

I tried the link but got an error saying that "hot linking is not cool." Don't know what that means (though it sounds a bit snotty), so I can't really figure out the confusion. More than one sword is distinctly possible -- maybe a 1750 sword as a model and new one produced to handle the rigors of stage combat. Just a guess though, I haven't seen any press kits... just the Sword & Stone shop.

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

I tried the link but got an error saying that "hot linking is not cool." Don't know what that means (though it sounds a bit snotty), so I can't really figure out the confusion. More than one sword is distinctly possible -- maybe a 1750 sword as a model and new one produced to handle the rigors of stage combat. Just a guess though, I haven't seen any press kits... just the Sword & Stone shop.

Sorry 'bout that, mate. I think I should have given you the home page: http://kimera.shadow-dancing.net/

Near the bottom you'll see a POTC link...there's about 20 pages of screen caps - in order as they appeared in the movie...I think the scene aboard the Interceptor is on page 8 or 9...or maybe 7...or 10... :lol:

But the more I think about it - the more I think it's Will's sword that Jack has in that shot since Will first threatened Jack with his sword before Jack put the helm over and the boom swept Will off of his feet...yeah, it's gotta be Will's sword...

I'm thinking that most of what's in the press kit will be on the DVD or something. Now I'm really curious about the swords...so I'll take a closer look at some of the behind-the-scenes shots of the sword play...

...oh, WHAT drudgery... :lol:

das

• 1 month later...

There was a shot of the sword rack where the actors kept their swords in the DVD extras of the movie, and there were, indeed, several different swords for each of the major characters; in some cases, there looked to be whole slews of 'em for each character. I do remember reading somewhere that Jack Sparrow's sword is straight outta the eighteenth century, so it's probable (or at least possible) that what happened is the Sword and Stone people made several different Jack Sparrow swords for use in fight scenes or what have you, based on the eighteenth-century sword that Jack carried around otherwise. (Of course, I made up that last part on an educated guess, so I could be way off. :rolleyes: )

Not that, after the whole hat fiasco, I could afford any of it . . . but I'd love to have Jack's pistol (or a good replica of it). His sword would also be cool, mind ya -- but I'd love to get a replica of his pistol. Or that awesome ring! :)

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

If anyone has bought the DVD of POTC there is a great breakdown of the sword fights and an interview with Bob Anderson (he looks amazing for being over 80 yrs old.) The Commentary by Johnney Depp and Gore Verbinski also does homage to Bob and Mark Ivie :ph34r: