Barbossa's sword

Red Maria

Here's an original of the type upon which Barbossa's sword is based, for sale at LionGate Arms & Armour:

fhcs3-1.jpg.

More pics and description at the link.

(Disclaimer:  I have no connection with, and have not done business with, LionGate--though I know people who have, and they had only good things to say.)

Which sword is it Deacon?

Thanks

Ignore this post I found it. I need more caffine in the morning!

Too bad I don't have that kind of money.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

El Pirata,Dec 8 2003, 02:59 PM Deacon Frye,Dec 6 2003, 01:20 PM:

Yeah but it's all in French.

Mais oui, naturellement, mon ami. Un pirate vrai doit pouvoir converser dans d'autres langues si pour aucune autre raison que pour découvrir où le butin est caché.

But having said that, the actual page has the text in English. Unfortunately I can't seem to post it. The address bar has the url for the category, and grabbing the direct url takes you to the page in French.

The sword is the one in Edged Weapons/France/Quality sabers 1780 to 1840 described as a "GARDE DE BATAILLE CAVALRY OFFICER SABER". The English text reads:

Reference : 701 (catalogue 98)

Brass hilt with shell-like guard. Wood and leather covered grip with twisted brass wire. Good straight flat blade, minor pitting. Ricasso with AP stamp (Paris arsenal) and revolutionnary stamp. Leather scabbard with three brass mounts. Used during french revolutionary wars.

Price :  3500 € (22958,5 F)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications  : Long : 1130 mm   Marking : AP de l'arsenal de Paris et le faisceau de licteur.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH GOD! I'm having flashbacks to french class in high school!!!!! Mai non, Madame Aversano. Le chat sur la tableau......LOL  :D *breaks into a cold sweat*

Mais oui, Ryann. I share your pain.

Quite a long while ago, I spent several years studying the language. At the time, a teaching method know as ALM (Audio-Lingual Method) was in vogue. Unfortunately, I am a visually-oriented person.

I never felt comfortable in the classes or with the language. However, the classes were valuable in that they taught me how to get good grades without really understanding the subject matter.

I did eventually acquire the ability to at least read some French.

Unfortunately, in the intervening years I have forgotten what little I learned.

The good news is that I know the way to the Babelfish/Alta-Vista translation site. ;)

The good news is that I know the way to the Babelfish/Alta-Vista translation site. ;)

Long live Babelfish!! Thankfully, I still know how to say screw you in french. ;)

Spanish came later...and only recently. Except, this time...I'm paying attention, and actually using it without having to go to Quebec!

Captain of The Morrighan.