Pirates with Parrots or other Beasties?

I'd like to know how many of you like to take yer beasties along on your adventures?

Below are a couple of photos of Cloudy, my triton cockatoo. He's wearing a "flight suit" in the picture with a skull and cross bones on it. The suit is a lycra body suit with a safety harness, that gives us a bit more security when we go out (and with it's built in diaper, it keeps my pirate coat clean!!)

At the bottom are a couple of links to sound files so you can hear a few of his words. I'm counted over 100 words and phrases that he knows.

Cloudy is approximately 30-something and was trained for the Baretta television series. However, due to his extreme dislike of men, he didn't make the cut. Fortunately, he is head over tailfeathers in love with me and likes to go anywhere I'm going. So he makes a great pirating companion.

Click to hear polly want a cracker

Click to hear him meow

RFAntoinetteAndCloudy.JPG

cloudyandmeTRAN.gif

CloudyCloseUp.JPG

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Hmmm...

Lovely feather-face ya got there... quite th' intelligent bird...

I hav'nt done it yet, but I plan on a crow... get 'em as a hatchling, and raise 'em ta be as crazy as I...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I want a monkey. Pure and simple. Teach them to steal or get into some nice tight spaces then BAM..you've got yourself more than just a pet. Besides with a monkey, I wouldn't be in the cell trying to beg some dumb dog for the keys, I would send my monkey out to kick the dog's ass and then bring the keys to me. Oh, did I fail to mention it would be a big monkey...A real big monkey. A gorilla would be better. Then I would have muscle to cover my back. :ph34r:

Had three o' them munks. Cute, but too much monkey shit. Sorta like lubber wimmen on deck. stick to parrot, mate. Mines a better pyrate to talk to than most civilians. :ph34r:

Ahhhh but the crap is part of the charm of having a monkey. Teach the monkey to throw his crap at your enemies and you have the makings of a fine weapon as well :ph34r:

Well I have a wonderful Senegal parrot named 'Gilligan' little buddy.

I'd put a picture of him here, but I can't figure out how - I tried the cut and paste method, tried a host website, but nothing works.

Anybody got any ideas how to post a picture here?

RumbaRue

**I had a mind once, still looking for it** :D

Ahoy Rumba Rue...

To post a photo, you need to first be able to load it up on a server on the internet- like a web page. There are some that allow you to do this for free, but most of them don't allow you to create a link to the photo, which is what you have to do to show it here. If you would like to have me upload the photo for you on to my website, I can do that. Just email it to me at talesofthesevenseas@hotmail.com

Once that is done, all you have to do is cut and paste the URL (location) of the photo into the box that pops up when you click the Img button. It will look something like this:

http://www.talesofthesevenseas.com/myparro...rotspicutre.jpg

Well here's a picture of me bird and kitties.

Here's Gillligan!

Gilligan.jpg

This one is with my kitty, Magick

GilliganMagick.jpg

This one is with my kitty, Shadow. Oh on the wall behind is some of my award winning celtic needlepoint.

GilliganShadow.jpg

RumbaRue

**Life is a full pitcher of rum** B)

I wonder,

How would me six cats deal wi' a bird r' two? As I said I'm thinkin' on a crow... or two... dunno who would be the more intelligent, th' birds or th' cats...?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

I've a funny story to tell about the first time Cloudy (the triton cockatoo) met our cats.

When I brought Cloud home, I put the cats away in a back room for an hour or so to allow him time to adjust to his new surroundings. When I opened the door and let the feline crewmembers back in, Jack, our large male, took one look at Cloudy, (who is about six times larger than any bird he's ever seen and topped with a bright yellow crest) ...and ran in utter terror. Peep, my petite little female cat, immediately became Mighty Huntress. She saw Cloudy, dropped into a crouch and began to slink forward...

Cloudy took one look at Peep and said "MEOOOOOW!!!" (yes, he actually does understand some word/object concepts) Peep halted right in her tracks and got the most bizarre look on her face, as if she where thinking "What th' bloody hell?!!" She stopped stalking and apparently decided that Cloudy is not a bird after all, by virtue of his language skills!!

Speaking of language skills and word/object concepts, Cloudy, being a true pirate parrot, even understands the concept of swearing. We've watched him painstakingly carry a toy to the top of his cage, only to drop it juuuuuuust as he was reaching out for his perch. He looks down at the toy and says "Shit!!" B)

I have to say that a ferret is a pirate's best friend. Forget the nasty monkey. Ferrets can fit into spaces smaller than a quarter (includes pouches)- let's see your monkey do that! B)

Plus ferrets kill the rats on board the ship.

They DO get a little musty after not a having a bath for a while, but what good pirate doesn't? B)

Black Pearl

"What happened to your dog?" as quoted by the cute kid in Kindergarten cop after spying Arnold's ferret.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

I was concerened too when I got Gilligan, about how my cats would react.

At first they thought I had brought them dinner, but 'dinner' had other ideas.

Now Gilligan will actually chase and try and bite my cats if they bother him too much. B)

Be forewarned about buying parrots- they need LOTS of attention and GOOD care. They are also LOUD.

I had to snicker when I did some research on the Internet and books about Senegal parrots; supposedly they are great for apartments cuz they are quite! Don't believe a word of that nonsence. You can hear my little parrot all over the friggin' complex! B)

RumbaRue

**More rum! More rum!** B)

I brought a bobcat to an event once, she was the coolest pirate critter I had ever had. If the men got too fresh with me she would just give them the ol' stinkeye and that was pretty much the end of that! I'll miss her.

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

My daughter's new kitten likes to sit around my shoulders, so we joke around that she's my "pirate kitty".

Her proper name is Smudge, but her nickname is Cracker, for reasons I won't get into. When she's on my shoulder riding around the house, I say, "Cracker want a Polly?" :ph34r:

I could take her on my ship, but just like all cats, she'd want to be in charge.

Captain Sage

We've had several piratical pets -- a Senegal parrot, some piratical puppies, and several rats. For a photo of our parrot, Billy Bones, go to:

http://www.noquartergiven.net/nqgcrew.htm

(in case you can't figure it out -- his is the third image down)

Our current bilge rats are brothers -- Jean & Pierre Lafitte. Jean came with us last weekend to the Disney Corporate Picnic at Rancho Calamiegos. Of course, the theme was pirates. We were some of the entertainers.

Almost all of the kids, and most of the men are entranced by Jean. Half of the women are ok with him, or even like him. But it was interesting how many of them asked us "what's wrong with his tail (or leg)?" We'd explain that Jean is a "boy" rat. Still getting a blank look sometimes -- we'd have to explain that Jean is a "very proud boy" rat. If we still got a blank look -- we'd explain what they were seeing was his "manhood" -- or should I say "rathood"? Usually, they'd finally understand. And would be fascinated. I think the ladies were imaging what it would be like if men were proportionately as well endowed as rats (and some people talk about horses -- rats have them beat hands down).

One elderly Spanish gentleman, who spoke extremely little English, was very interested in Jean. And at first he didn't understand what he was seeing at Jean's hind end. My husband points to Jean's rear and said "El Senor, ... El GRANDE Senor". Then the man broke into a huge grin, understanding it, and responded with "Oh si, ... huevos". And we replied "Si, si, cajones".

And who said we weren't bilingual?

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Do you mind if the parrot watches?"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Dorian.. I would think that the cats would love to deal with any bird you bring home. Preferably raw....... We run the roads to much to give any pet the love and attention they need, so, we settled for a small fish tank. They stay home though............... The Capt.

Aye Capt. Flint,

Hehehe.... Raw, eh? I suppose yer right, they go quite mad watching the critters outside th' windows at home... Be they birds, squrrels, raccoons, etc... I done some research, findin' that crows are quite the hearty feather-faces, and would be able ta handle the felines... They's also a bird that will imprint on more than one person, are very intellegent, and quite the talkers...

Dunno, we'll see in th' future....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif