Making a full kit in four months

So, Apparently the melting point of pewter starts at 170° and the average cup of coffee is 160.....things I should have read up on *before* buying the mug lol....

Looks like it only iced coffee for me for the event lol!! (Or I kife a plastic lined leather mug from my husband. Or I risk one of my pottery mugs....i have plenty of options I'm just cranky and on a deadline and want to whinge lol)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, TudorSmith said:

So, Apparently the melting point of pewter starts at 170° and the average cup of coffee is 160.....things I should have read up on *before* buying the mug lol....

Looks like it only iced coffee for me for the event lol!! (Or I kife a plastic lined leather mug from my husband. Or I risk one of my pottery mugs....i have plenty of options I'm just cranky and on a deadline and want to whinge lol)

Yeah, there are better reasons for not drinking hot coffee or tea out of pewter (or any metal) mugs.... ask any older naive reenactor why, and they will point to their lips and say "ouch".

Seriously, for hot beverages, ceramic or wood only.

Michael_banner.jpg

22 minutes ago, michaelsbagley said:

Yeah, there are better reasons for not drinking hot coffee or tea out of pewter (or any metal) mugs.... ask any older naive reenactor why, and they will point to their lips and say "ouch".

Live and learn I guess lol....and considering the average temps we're looking at I guess "cold beverage only" isn't a bad rule....

On 7/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, LadyBarbossa said:

Stynky... love the mattress pad. Good luck with the cot. Hope you find a comfy one. Military surplus stores used to have canvas and wooden cots. I had one for several years until it broke. Holds up rather well really. 

Thank you 😁.

I use to had several regular and lo-height cots that I eventually handed off to my kids for camping. Since they hardly seem to be using them these days, I'll likely theft one back from them.

28 minutes ago, michaelsbagley said:
46 minutes ago, TudorSmith said:

There's also a possibly issue with alcohol leaching lead form pewter too - accumulative.

4 minutes ago, Stynky Tudor said:

There's also a possibly issue with alcohol leaching lead form pewter too - accumulative.

I was clever enough to be sure to get leadless pewter (stamped that way specifically but will also still be testing to be double sure) so at least I didn't completely flake lol. 

I have read though that even the lead free ones can still give a metallic taste. But I love my hand thrown pottery mugs too much to risk traveling with them and plastic lined leather just reads too RenFaire to me and gives me brutal flashbacks lol.

23 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Worth keeping in mind, but it is actually pretty hard to even find leaded pewter any more.... like as difficult s finding leaded gasoline. ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

23 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

But I love my hand thrown pottery mugs too much to risk traveling with them and plastic lined leather just reads too RenFaire to me and gives me brutal flashbacks lol.

Leather jacks were really quite common in the 17th century. In fact, the French (that old French-English rivalry thing again) loved to mock the English for "drinking out of boots"

The better ones are made using food grade resin.. the more accurate ones use beeswax or brewer's pitch.... both of which can get soft and melt under the temps of hot beverages.... but if you find a food-grade resin lined on, those are generally pretty decent for hot beverages.

Michael_banner.jpg

3 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

Leather jacks were really quite common in the 17th century. In fact, the French (that old French-English rivalry thing again) loved to mock the English for "drinking out of boots"

The better ones are made using food grade resin.. the more accurate ones use beeswax or brewer's pitch.... both of which can get soft and melt under the temps of hot beverages.... but if you find a food-grade resin lined on, those are generally pretty decent for hot beverages.

Yep! I have easy access to two varieties.....one that is just leather with brewers pitch, so lovely and accurate but no good for heat, and then another kind where it's a simple leather mug with a removable plastic cup liner.....they are what give me cringe flashbacks despite their heat resistance lol. Possibly a bit of snobbishness on my part but....*shrug*

I've tried to talk the man into doing up one of the nice ones with the invirotex they used to use for drinking horns but he shot me down lol.

15 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

Worth keeping in mind, but it is actually pretty hard to even find leaded pewter any more.... like as difficult s finding leaded gasoline. ;)

That's a good point, to be honest I don't know for sure. The subject came to my attention when I was talking/bragging about a Georgian period tankard that I usually drank from - the point was made and I've been wondering ever since. I would think that newer/modern tankards would be less of an issue.

https://thomasdale.com/latest-news/lead-in-pewter/

7 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

That's a good point, to be honest I don't know for sure. The subject came to my attention when I was talking/bragging about a Georgian period tankard that I usually drank from - the point was made and I've been wondering ever since. I would think that newer/modern tankards would be less of an issue.

https://thomasdale.com/latest-news/lead-in-pewter/

Ok but of I had a period Georgian piece I'd be tempted to drink from it even knowing there could be lead in it.

My piece is older, pre official lead ban, but only 1950s probably, but it's officially stamped as leadless English pewter, and from what I understand the English pewterers guild don't play lol. 

In non mug related updates,

all button holes on jacket front are done. Just need to put on buttons and holes at the cuffs. Easy to get done this weekend as I'm going (kid free nonetheless) to an event and expecting a decent amount of 'sewing around the fire " time.

The event is a medieval one, and as I was prepping for it I couldn't help but look at my 16th century German Hemd and think "maybe underneath the stays and jacket you'd pass for an 17-18th cent shirt???" But the highly noticeable smocked collar just laughed at me lol

20230803_231815.jpg.f92df474a57b02187d3eaef1edc43425.jpg

5 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

Ok but of I had a period Georgian piece I'd be tempted to drink from it even knowing there could be lead in it.

My piece is older, pre official lead ban, but only 1950s probably, but it's officially stamped as leadless English pewter, and from what I understand the English pewterers guild don't play lol. 

In non mug related updates,

all button holes on jacket front are done. Just need to put on buttons and holes at the cuffs. Easy to get done this weekend as I'm going (kid free nonetheless) to an event and expecting a decent amount of 'sewing around the fire " time.

The event is a medieval one, and as I was prepping for it I couldn't help but look at my 16th century German Hemd and think "maybe underneath the stays and jacket you'd pass for an 17-18th cent shirt???" But the highly noticeable smocked collar just laughed at me lol

20230803_231815.jpg.f92df474a57b02187d3eaef1edc43425.jpg

Wow! - thats above my pay grade!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 8/4/2023 at 10:44 AM, michaelsbagley said:

I'd laugh at you as well over that... before I started gushing about how freaking amazing of a job you did on that!

Yeesh, that is gorgeous work!

Thank you for agreeing with the collar cause I was honestly considering taking it as a back up, but space is at a premium so I need to *not* bring pieces that aren't right.

And thanks....it was a project two years ago to make a full landsknecht outfit to wear to Oktoberfest (cause I'm extra like that). It was my first attempt ever at smocking. 

On 8/2/2023 at 7:28 AM, TudorSmith said:

I have read though that even the lead free ones can still give a metallic taste. 

Wondering how much it would cost to have the inside and rim of a pewter mug Cerakoted in a pewter color? Durability?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:03 PM, Morgan Dreadlocke said:

Wondering how much it would cost to have the inside and rim of a pewter mug Cerakoted in a pewter color? Durability?

I imagine more then I spent on the cup itself but might be worth looking into. Don't know how well it would adhere to the metal but could work.

At any rate, had it out at my event with me this past weekend and used it exclusively for water. Noticed a slight metallic taste the first few sips but either it went away or I just didn't notice it. 

In sewing news, I finished all but four button holes on the jacket, two on each sleeve, but they both have one finished one so they do close. But I needed a break and if I don't finish it til we're in camp at night, it's at least functional for the days. 

Second shirt is well underway but I feel like it's taking longer. It's not, I'm just less motivated to do it. Just need to get my butt in gear.

20230811_073243.jpg.f478228d0afe9de2a84c4a12eb1eb538.jpg

I also picked up some more linen at my event for a skirt. 4 yards, dark red, I'd say somewhere between a mid and light weight.  Got it soaking pre wash now. Surprised at how much it's NOT bleeding out. Guess that speaks to the good quality. 

20230811_073823.jpg.2cf70c860e4b0d371fa2f278db467abe.jpg

Also picked up a short precut of the same fabric in purple to use with a 1 yard remnant I had left over. There is a slight difference in shade that I'm hoping will even out with the prewash on the new cut....

3 hours ago, madPete said:

working on a couple pair of slops now...

These are a heavier material (10oz linen) than I've used before.

IMG_0127.jpg

Looks good! The heaviest I've ever used for any kind of trousers is a 7oz but I always felt slops in particular could go heavier....keep us posted on how the go! Once I'm done with this second shirt I'm hoping for a second pair of slops, in addition to the petticoat.

Speaking of the shirt though, my gathering game is leveling up a bit, but I'm making a few rookie mistakes like forgetting to leave slits at the cuffs. Easy enough to pivot though...

20230812_162355.jpg.60f4cb539036cfe89bed6f1b452e2a27.jpg

20230812_192420.jpg.9812addb4ac0c759242eb8d117185854.jpg

A lot more of this one is being done on the machine, now that I understand the construction in general better. 

I like the looks of that shirt!

Can't tell if that is the cuff or the collar, but cuffs were actually narrow on men's shirts like 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. just for reference.

I have no clue on womens clothing...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

When I make sleeves, I always use the last 3 or 4 inches of seam as the open part of the cuff and roll the edges of the slit. Then the point of the underarm gusset goes in the other end of the seam and that way the seam is always underside of the sleeve.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

3 hours ago, madPete said:

working on a couple pair of slops now...

These are a heavier material (10oz linen) than I've used before.

IMG_0127.jpg

Here is the side seam (french seam) and the preparation for handstitching the fly and the back slit

seam.jpg

fly.jpg

back.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, madPete said:

Can't tell if that is the cuff or the collar, but cuffs were actually narrow on men's shirts like 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. just for reference.

I have an entire giant roll of the fabric if you want any! No idea the official contents but I'd say full cotton, maybe a cotton heavy cotton-linen blend. Definitely natural fibers based off burn test. Obvi, full linen would be better, but this was a lovely steal at the low price of "free" lol. 

The cuffs are just shy of 2 inches, so a bit past that outside margin. I think they were supposed to be closer to that inch and a half but I tend to cut wider for extra seam allowance but then never use it. I will definitely adjust that if I make it to a third shift!

57 minutes ago, madPete said:

Here is the side seam (french seam) and the preparation for handstitching the fly and the back slit

seam.jpg

fly.jpg

back.jpg

Looks great! Your French seam in particular is so clean I could swoon. I'm only on my second attempt ever on French seams so they are still not quite as trim and smooth. But one more technique I plan on perfecting as I go lol. If nothing else this whole absurdly ambitious project has definitely taught me a few things. 

1 hour ago, madPete said:

Further thought on this...no idea if it would add or decrease the accuracy but these cuffs seem to naturally want to fold back into a French cuff style....warrants some pondering before I put the buttons on20230812_213427.jpg.1290890841013ab0cbf670e4ac544b8a.jpg