Making a full kit in four months

4 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Your breeches came out looking great! How well is that linen weave working for you?

After a recent (blood pressure) medication reaction, none of my breeches fit. So I'm in the middle of sewing extra large breeches for meself - one pair down!

PXL_20230712_194855908.jpg

I'm working on a second pair of linen slops. The material seems a bit of a course weave, maybe even shear. TS, are the breeches you made lined or just bare material?

Nice and Stripey! Good Job!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

It's just heavy enough too that o didn't have to line.

Cool, I've been bouncing back and forth on adding a lining  since I started sewing on it. I'll follow your lead, not add a lining and blame anything that goes wrong on you - I really didn't want to add a lining. 

So jacket shell is constructed. No pics yet but might get some later. Pocket,/flaps and lining. Might go without a collar. 

But on other projects front....i had pulled the trigger on a cot/camp mat configuration. In an effort to disguise it/make it look more period I took some of that roll of striped cotton Essex I had and made a cover for the pad so it looks more like a mattress. Might also make something to hang over the edges to obscure the cot frame too, but all and all, pleased with the look. A wool blanket on top, a down pillow and it should look decent, balanced with comfort and ease of transport. 

20230715_164207.jpg.7bf7acfe346987144e83f82fca5beb0f.jpg

20230715_164231.jpg.9b1acdf9f8405ac33c07c16cded55fb7.jpg

20230715_174424.jpg.152ddc9172f89de6262e611ae082bf6a.jpg

20230715_174449.jpg.c5df507505195244fe2adc9cfa1bcb1c.jpg

Back to the jacket next....

1 hour ago, TudorSmith said:

So jacket shell is constructed. No pics yet but might get some later. Pocket,/flaps and lining. Might go without a collar. 

But on other projects front....i had pulled the trigger on a cot/camp mat configuration. In an effort to disguise it/make it look more period I took some of that roll of striped cotton Essex I had and made a cover for the pad so it looks more like a mattress. Might also make something to hang over the edges to obscure the cot frame too, but all and all, pleased with the look. A wool blanket on top, a down pillow and it should look decent, balanced with comfort and ease of transport. 

20230715_164207.jpg.7bf7acfe346987144e83f82fca5beb0f.jpg

20230715_164231.jpg.9b1acdf9f8405ac33c07c16cded55fb7.jpg

20230715_174424.jpg.152ddc9172f89de6262e611ae082bf6a.jpg

20230715_174449.jpg.c5df507505195244fe2adc9cfa1bcb1c.jpg

Back to the jacket next....

Nice! I have a short cot like that also, but uncomfortable. Maybe the mattress would fix it. That does give me an idea...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, madPete said:

Nice! I have a short cot like that also, but uncomfortable. Maybe the mattress would fix it. That does give me an idea...

Yeah the cot is only minimally about comfort. I mainly need it as something to get up off the ground to cut the damp and chill. Obviously longer legs would provide that even better but not so much to warrant the extra packing space. I have to say this does feel much more supportive then the old Colman camp bed I used to use. 

The camp pad really has been the good find. It's narrower, but sturdier feeling then a regular air mattress. It definitely feels more firm/less prone to sag too. It said on Amazon that it had like an r3 insulation level....which I doubt, but better then a wholly uninsulated conventional air mattress. But I plan on lining the bottom of the mattress pad cover with like an emergency blanket or something to help insulate, and blankets on top should do the trick 

18 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

striped cotton Essex I had and made a cover for the pad so it looks more like a mattress. Might also make something to hang over the edges to obscure the cot frame too

Excellent bed/mattress making!

I use to bring a regular height cot (that I never seemed to sleep on), but I would l lay a piece of canvas over the top to hide the legs and try to make it look like cargo.

I recently made myself a sort of bed roll/canvas mattress, I still need to cut some foam for it though - I'll post some pictures once I do.

17 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

Yeah the cot is only minimally about comfort. I mainly need it as something to get up off the ground to cut the damp and chill. Obviously longer legs would provide that even better but not so much to warrant the extra packing space. I have to say this does feel much more supportive then the old Colman camp bed I used to use. 

The camp pad really has been the good find. It's narrower, but sturdier feeling then a regular air mattress. It definitely feels more firm/less prone to sag too. It said on Amazon that it had like an r3 insulation level....which I doubt, but better then a wholly uninsulated conventional air mattress. But I plan on lining the bottom of the mattress pad cover with like an emergency blanket or something to help insulate, and blankets on top should do the trick 

I think taller eliminates dampness but increases chill. The ground provides insulation. Less air circulating underneath you when down low is a good thing. I would even stuff things underneath to block the air. I was a on a normal height cot at one event in Northern arizona, with 2 wool blankets doubled up underneath me, one on top and a wool great coat and I was still cold. Yet when I sleep on the ground on a self inflating camp mattress (1-1/2 inches tall at most) I'm fine with a single blanket underneath.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 7/16/2023 at 3:35 PM, madPete said:

I think taller eliminates dampness but increases chill. The ground provides insulation. Less air circulating underneath you when down low is a good thing. I would even stuff things underneath to block the air. I was a on a normal height cot at one event in Northern arizona, with 2 wool blankets doubled up underneath me, one on top and a wool great coat and I was still cold. Yet when I sleep on the ground on a self inflating camp mattress (1-1/2 inches tall at most) I'm fine with a single blanket underneath.

Yep I would tend to agree. You want up off the ground a bit but too high and it certainly gets drafty. I'm hoping this short height will be a good compromise as well as easier to transport and less legs to conceal.

I have a short trip the first weekend in August that I will get to test it and make any adjustments....the climate I will be in will be quite a bit different I imagine but still a good chance for a trial.

2 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

It's always amazing to me when the little fiddly bits feel like they take just as long to do as major construction parts....

1 pocket done.one pocket 3/4th done. Hopefully finish that tonight and get the lining cut. Definitely going collarless on this one.....I'm over the little time sinks....

20230716_144358.jpg.4e1b34cf9cbb09efdc3806673363938d.jpg

20230715_232043.jpg.1fdccb16aca1227fe1f6fa126cb252cc.jpg

20230717_133340.jpg.353cca4a4b94d46e98b40daffc7d4541.jpg

20230717_155338.jpg.49be59e4d07138fe1e081290617a5ebf.jpg

Pockets always slow it down, but they are necessary. Lookiing good!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Some new socks arrived today. When I went thru mine before Long Beach, some had huge holes and I gave a couple pair to my son. These were from Etsy Penny River. so far they look pretty nice.

I found if you wear anklet socks under your long socks, they last much longer! Provides some additional padding too.

Penny_river_socks.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

20 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

It's always amazing to me when the little fiddly bits feel like they take just as long to do as major construction parts....

1 pocket done.one pocket 3/4th done. Hopefully finish that tonight and get the lining cut. Definitely going collarless on this one.....I'm over the little time sinks....

20230716_144358.jpg.4e1b34cf9cbb09efdc3806673363938d.jpg

20230715_232043.jpg.1fdccb16aca1227fe1f6fa126cb252cc.jpg

20230717_133340.jpg.353cca4a4b94d46e98b40daffc7d4541.jpg

20230717_155338.jpg.49be59e4d07138fe1e081290617a5ebf.jpg

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Finished the lining and started putting it in the shell this morning. Got excited about it, and how close to "done" I was....till I remembered that i still have to do buttons and buttonholes after this is done 😐

20230722_102749.jpg.6ea300979bb21b1c57ec913fdb23c375.jpg

Which, part of me thought I'd just do cloth covered buttons but.....not happening. Metal buttons it is..i think I have enough in my stash but if anyone has s good source on buttons to share I wouldn't mind suggestions.

After this, another shirt, another pair of slops, some skirts, a waistcoat if I have time....

26 minutes ago, TudorSmith said:

Finished the lining and started putting it in the shell this morning. Got excited about it, and how close to "done" I was....till I remembered that i still have to do buttons and buttonholes after this is done 😐

20230722_102749.jpg.6ea300979bb21b1c57ec913fdb23c375.jpg

Which, part of me thought I'd just do cloth covered buttons but.....not happening. Metal buttons it is..i think I have enough in my stash but if anyone has s good source on buttons to share I wouldn't mind suggestions.

After this, another shirt, another pair of slops, some skirts, a waistcoat if I have time....

Looking good! Whaaat?!? You still have 7 weeks, get on it! (just kidding).

I used this tutorial to make wool buttons for my Justaucorp. It took 132 buttons(!!) and I was worried about cost and total weight of metal buttons. These were easy to make and are period.

https://thedreamstress.com/2015/06/making-medieval-cloth-buttons/

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

29 minutes ago, madPete said:

Those are nice! Everything I found heretofore has had the nautical pea coat anchor motif on them (or periah the thought, tacky Halloween costumes looking skulls and crossbones)

Update....lining is in but one sleeve got put in upside down so the elbow vend is the wrong way. Haven't closed up the lining entirely so contemplating flipping it inside out and just re-reseaming the sides to lose the elbow point, and lose some of the excess width anyway.

Ooooor.....calll it good enough cause when it's on the sleeves have enough allowance you can't tell and I really want to be done with this one and move on to the next....

you can always come back to it after you clear your head. I've had a few mistakes over the years that bugged me enough to go back and redo. just needed a break from it for a while.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!