Making a full kit in four months

16 minutes ago, TudorSmith said:

Oohh....i will have to check that out. I used her pirate shirt video, with some other adaptations as cross reference in the original making so this new video might also provide insight. 

Ive made the very executive decision that while it's probably sitting an inch or two too long still even from accurate fit (I'd say about an inch or so below armpit level) it's not worth pulling them out to redo them. They will be mostly covered by jacket sleeves etc and I'd rather just move on to my second shirt and know to adjust accordingly on that one. 

Good for you, I dont think its worth all the seam ripping and restitching. Many times they did have ill-fitting clothing cause... where do you get a fitted shirt in the middle of the sea?

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still flat-felling interior seams on the shirt before cutting fabric for a jacket so nothing overly photo worthy in the project progress but here, enjoy some photos of a recent, lovely but highly unnecessary addition to my kit....

Adobe_Express_20230627_2114370_1.png.68aa3e582532428b755ca0fae514a67e.png

Portable desk for all my Steward-ing purposes. Depending on how much room left in my luggage it will probably travel with me. A lovely hand me down from my sister. 

Project update. In the button/button hole phase of the shirt.

Found these natural shell buttons on Amazon. Probably would have preferred bone, but these seemed a good compromise....shell, but actually finished shell and not the "natural look" where they still are rough on the back. 20230702_153646.jpg.9f7524008ca7f8966c4da2415415fddf.jpg

20230702_162915.jpg.60725535101a48c4c37909ba4acf645f.jpg

For button holes I picked up both embroidery thread and silk thread. For the slops I had done embroidery thread with moderate success, but the shirt is a much lighter weight, so between that and overall finished look, the silk might be the better option. Recommendations on which way to go would be appreciated. I'd considered doing the whole thing in the silk thread buy I couldn't justify it when I already had plenty of white regular thread at home.

Otherwise, cut off the three yards of blue for a jacket and have it soaking to rinse out any dye bleed.

20230702_162827.jpg.a42cd6f5cbaab9a7f960c1bfb142382c.jpg

After a few hours in the tub, a wash and press. Plan is to use RH 705. I'm being bold (read: foolish) and NOT doing a prototype. It looks straightforward enough.....i think lol. If anyone has done this one up, tips and tricks please!

20230702_164121.jpg.584ae12df59bd6657f6aaad0450c9642.jpg

Kudos to you for following thru making this kit. Its definitely some work, but it will last you for years and is very satisfying to say you made it yourself. I've made my share of mistakes on first attempts, which is why they recommend a prototype of cheap fabric.  I just wore my mistakes, since they mostly minor.

My first pirate event was PIP in 2009 (Ft Taylor Pirate invasion).  I made 2 shirts, a short vest, two pair of slops and a snapsack for that first event. I bought a few other things like socks (even a striped pair, yeah we all start somewhere), a monmouth hat from knitkriket and some Fugawee shoes w/ Gentlemen of Fortune buckles. Wore it all for 3 days straight bouncing around the fort and downtown Key west.

I started making slops for a crew on the west coast (at reasonable prices) hoping to improve the overall look... It eventually led to a shop on Etsy where I supplied slops, coats, waistcoats and shirts. Between Covid, burnout and the govt starting to tax these small accounts on Etsy, I closed it down.

These days I try to make at least 1 new item before each event (max 2-3 events per year). This year I've outdone myself already. Over the years  a wardobe has accumulated. There are a few favorites but I've handed much of it off to my kids and friends who needed clothing to participate.

I guess what I'm saying is you are now a qualified apprentice and moving up the ranks quickly!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

9 hours ago, madPete said:

I highly recommend washing the linen and drying in the dryer heat to get all the shrinkage out. Although you may need to iron it once it comes out...

Oh absolutely! I typically do it with a pretty old school detergent too (usually what I use for my cloth diapers) just to be sure any sizing is removed. I don't always dry it though, kinda play by ear based on the fabric weight. For colors though I do two to three soaks first, just to rinse most of the dye run off before it even hits the washer. I've spent waaaaay too much time on this damned shirt, last thing I want is color transfer from sleeves lol. 

I also have a meticulous ironing procedure that I only sometimes follow.... Lol

8 hours ago, madPete said:

Kudos to you for following thru making this kit. Its definitely some work, but it will last you for years and is very satisfying to say you made it yourself. I've made my share of mistakes on first attempts, which is why they recommend a prototype of cheap fabric.  I just wore my mistakes, since they mostly minor.

My first pirate event was PIP in 2009 (Ft Taylor Pirate invasion).  I made 2 shirts, a short vest, two pair of slops and a snapsack for that first event. I bought a few other things like socks (even a striped pair, yeah we all start somewhere), a monmouth hat from knitkriket and some Fugawee shoes w/ Gentlemen of Fortune buckles. Wore it all for 3 days straight bouncing around the fort and downtown Key west.

I started making slops for a crew on the west coast (at reasonable prices) hoping to improve the overall look... It eventually led to a shop on Etsy where I supplied slops, coats, waistcoats and shirts. Between Covid, burnout and the govt starting to tax these small accounts on Etsy, I closed it down.

These days I try to make at least 1 new item before each event (max 2-3 events per year). This year I've outdone myself already. Over the years  a wardobe has accumulated. There are a few favorites but I've handed much of it off to my kids and friends who needed clothing to participate.

I guess what I'm saying is you are now a qualified apprentice and moving up the ranks quickly!

Thank you so much for the kind words and support in following along so far! I'm pretty well pleased with myself.  I live in that confusing space of wanting the bragging rights of having made it all myself and the constant terror of it looking shabby and poorly done. So far, I feel like what I've done looks good, not perfect of course, but shouldn't raise any eyebrows lol.

Ironic that PIP 09 was your first. Between 05 to 09 were my "regret" years. I had made plans several times to go but got gaslit into not going.  Getting ready now for Massacre Island is going a long way to righting that for myself. And honestly, probably better this way....sure I had more free time and expendable income in my early 20s but honestly, I probably would have shown up in a RenFaire Elizabethan corset, some hippie 25 yard skirts and a tricorn and called it good. Any attempts at sewing would have been cheap fabrics and poorly executed. I guess the lack of free time and more budget considerations is making me not take project time for granted and making me more judicious with getting it right the first time.

I was going to wait to post any outfit photos here til the jacket was done, but I got a little giddy last night after I finished my button holes and put on the layers I've finished so far... Like I said pretty well pleased with myself. Still can't believe I handstitched the whole dang shirt AND it looks this good.

20230702_234732.jpg.4d55be6f782d2f584dbe486c9b091012.jpg

Looks excellent to me. Nice job!

BTW We have a wall tent being lent for women without a tent. We will pick it up on the way to the event . Chris (the owner) says you and halfpint have reservations confirmed for it LOL

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, TudorSmith said:

Ironic that PIP 09 was your first. Between 05 to 09 were my "regret" years. I had made plans several times to go but got gaslit into not going. 

I went every year after that first event until it got shut down for 2015. 6 years, but I missed the earlier ones cause it wasnt on my radar til early 2009.

It was a great event, sorry you couldn't make it. There were others that werent so authentic so you would have fit in.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, madPete said:

Looks excellent to me. Nice job!

BTW We have a wall tent being lent for women without a tent. We will pick it up on the way to the event . Chris (the owner) says you and halfpint have reservations confirmed for it LOL

For this I am grateful! My days if thinking that I'd be ok doing a "sleep where ya fall" on a beach somewhere are part of the experience I was planning in my 20s that I DO NOT need to recreate lol.

I've been in the market for a tent for a while, but the family sized one I'd need for most of my historical endeavors would be too large and unwieldy for the plane and the event this time around. 

Along with my jacket, a sleeping mat/cot setup is also on the agenda of next to-dos

On 7/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, TudorSmith said:

After a few hours in the tub, a wash and press. Plan is to use RH 705. I'm being bold (read: foolish) and NOT doing a prototype. It looks straightforward enough.....i think lol. If anyone has done this one up, tips and tricks please!

I prefer more carefully fitted/tailored coats… gapping at the neck, bunching of the lower back, or poorly fitted/sloped shoulders, make me tear projects apart.

I would offer that you could consider using a lighter/cheaper fabric as your mock-up. Once properly fit and the pattern adjusted accordingly, that initial mock-up can become your lining for the finished coat/waistcoat, stays, etc.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

6 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

I prefer more carefully fitted/tailored coats… gapping at the neck, bunching of the lower back, or poorly fitted/sloped shoulders, make me tear projects apart.

I would offer that you could consider using a lighter/cheaper fabric as your mock-up. Once properly fit and the pattern adjusted accordingly, that initial mock-up can become your lining for the finished coat/waistcoat, stays, etc.

A valid suggestion, especially considering fitting is my weakest skill point. I guess my logic was that on tailored projects past, i still ended up with fit issues even after doing a mock-up, so it would be an unnecessary time expense. But your point is making me see that might be a bit defeatist lol.

Perhaps the fact that my schedule has conspired to prevent me from doing the cut is a sign. 

On 7/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, TudorSmith said:

For this I am grateful! My days if thinking that I'd be ok doing a "sleep where ya fall" on a beach somewhere are part of the experience I was planning in my 20s that I DO NOT need to recreate lol.

I've been in the market for a tent for a while, but the family sized one I'd need for most of my historical endeavors would be too large and unwieldy for the plane and the event this time around. 

Along with my jacket, a sleeping mat/cot setup is also on the agenda of next to-dos

Chris' lending the tent was also meant to be a place for the ladies to change. So if you are adventurous, you could always start with a fly/oar tent and air mattress and use the communal tent for changing.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 7/7/2023 at 12:21 AM, madPete said:

Chris' lending the tent was also meant to be a place for the ladies to change. So if you are adventurous, you could always start with a fly/oar tent and air mattress and use the communal tent for changing.

Y'know, I did think of that this week, mostly due to helping make 7 kids sized a frame tents for my kids' camping themed birthday party this weekend. But clothing gear comes first on the project list lol

On 7/7/2023 at 11:22 PM, TudorSmith said:

Y'know, I did think of that this week, mostly due to helping make 7 kids sized a frame tents for my kids' camping themed birthday party this weekend. But clothing gear comes first on the project list lol

Yeah you have to consider whats on your plate already!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Ok, birthday party for the wee mutineers has been accomplished...seven mini a frame tents and all. Proof my lackluster singer is not up for any heavy canvas projects any time soon if nothing else lol

But cracking on with the garb again.... Jacket body is pieced together, sleeves are getting pinned tonight, hopefully collar too, but that might have to wait until lining Is ready, need to reread the instructions again tonight.

Fit is mostly ok...felt a bit bulky right over the chest when I first started sizing it, but then tried it on my actual body whilst wearing the shirt and stays, instead of my slightly janky duct tape dress form or modern clothed self, and it actually sat pretty well....well enough I knew to stop frassing with it lol 😉

It's not a perfect fit but it's really very decent, and again....  I'm portraying a woman wearing men's clothing, probably borrowed or stolen, living aboard a ship... Finely tailored would be a luxury, not a commonality.

20230709_222500.jpg.643007aae0392f470a48f550b1c4b352.jpg

20230709_222454.jpg.a829fa4665da3b447efd47639e5f4a7c.jpg

20230709_222444.jpg.958d50ce21d04d8e77afa778124afc6a.jpg

20230709_211405.jpg.7792951c8fe3b1aa0248b6cd26d814b8.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 9:24 PM, TudorSmith said:

Fit is good, they are delightful comfortable (could live in them) and i think the overall look is good.

Your breeches came out looking great! How well is that linen weave working for you?

After a recent (blood pressure) medication reaction, none of my breeches fit. So I'm in the middle of sewing extra large breeches for meself - one pair down!

PXL_20230712_194855908.jpg

I'm working on a second pair of linen slops. The material seems a bit of a course weave, maybe even shear. TS, are the breeches you made lined or just bare material?

4 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Your breeches came out looking great! How well is that linen weave working for you?

After a recent (blood pressure) medication reaction, none of my breeches fit. So I'm in the middle of sewing extra large breeches for meself - one pair down!

PXL_20230712_194855908.jpg

I'm working on a second pair of linen slops. The material seems a bit of a course weave, maybe even shear. TS, are the breeches you made lined or just bare material?

The linen worked great! Mayhaps technically to lightweight but not badly so and for the climate I was willing to go for a slightly softer drape for the sake of comfort. It's just heavy enough too that o didn't have to line. I'm actually finishing up flat felling the interior seams on them right now since they arent lines til I can get home tonight and pin my jacket sleeves. 

Love that striped fabric. They look great! I thought about doing the wide/petticoat style like that for my second pair but I'm not sure on if I could pull off the look lol. But we shall see. Next priority after the jacket is a mattress cover. After that is another shirt. After that is more slops. Busy busy busy....

10 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

Ok, birthday party for the wee mutineers has been accomplished...seven mini a frame tents and all. Proof my lackluster singer is not up for any heavy canvas projects any time soon if nothing else lol

But cracking on with the garb again.... Jacket body is pieced together, sleeves are getting pinned tonight, hopefully collar too, but that might have to wait until lining Is ready, need to reread the instructions again tonight.

Fit is mostly ok...felt a bit bulky right over the chest when I first started sizing it, but then tried it on my actual body whilst wearing the shirt and stays, instead of my slightly janky duct tape dress form or modern clothed self, and it actually sat pretty well....well enough I knew to stop frassing with it lol 😉

It's not a perfect fit but it's really very decent, and again....  I'm portraying a woman wearing men's clothing, probably borrowed or stolen, living aboard a ship... Finely tailored would be a luxury, not a commonality.

20230709_222500.jpg.643007aae0392f470a48f550b1c4b352.jpg

20230709_222454.jpg.a829fa4665da3b447efd47639e5f4a7c.jpg

20230709_222444.jpg.958d50ce21d04d8e77afa778124afc6a.jpg

20230709_211405.jpg.7792951c8fe3b1aa0248b6cd26d814b8.jpg

Whoa - Major projects!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!