Massacre Island Planning

William Brand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well boys and girls, looks like i am out. I have bleeding in my right eye (a complication of long-term diabetes) which we've been trying to treat without surgery, but that has failed. So my doctor scheduled a victrectomy for me the week before the event and I won't be able to drive or fly for some time after it. (You're not supposed to move your head very much for several weeks or lie on your back because... well, I won't describe this operation itself, but you can look it up if you like. Don't do it if you're squeamish. ;) ) Sorry about that.

On another note, the first victrectomy is believed to have been performed by Dutch surgeon Anton Nuck in the late 17th century. So it has period roots. (I may have to expand my article on eye surgery...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

One of the side effects that can occur is a drooping eyelid. If that happened, I would look even more piratical.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

3 hours ago, Mission said:

You're not supposed to move your head very much for several weeks or lie on your back because...

I could get you neck brace and an eye patch(es) if that will get you to the event.

Please keep posted on your recovery and get well soon!

On 8/24/2023 at 8:14 AM, Mission said:

Well boys and girls, looks like i am out. I have bleeding in my right eye (a complication of long-term diabetes) which we've been trying to treat without surgery, but that has failed. So my doctor scheduled a victrectomy for me the week before the event and I won't be able to drive or fly for some time after it. (You're not supposed to move your head very much for several weeks or lie on your back because... well, I won't describe this operation itself, but you can look it up if you like. Don't do it if you're squeamish. ;) ) Sorry about that.

On another note, the first victrectomy is believed to have been performed by Dutch surgeon Anton Nuck in the late 17th century. So it has period roots. (I may have to expand my article on eye surgery...)

Sending Strength and Healing 🤗  You will be missed ❤  We'll raise a rum (or 2, or 3...) to you! 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, William Brand said:
Just a few details by way of update. We can confirm a few of the creature comforts at Massacre Island.

First, there are bathrooms inside the fort. With the addition of attendees we're going to chase after additional portable toilets for our use outside the fort as well. This will cover the needs of attendees arriving early for set-up and break-down after.

Second, there will be showers available within a short walking distance of the fort, so you'll be able to wash off some of the sun and sand of the event while staying there.

Potable water spigots will be available inside and outside of the fort.

There will be a limited number of cookfires, but the main camps will have them for cooking and atmosphere.

We should also have access to the original fort bakery for making period breads.

Question... will we be able to charge our phones and such anywhere there? 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:14 AM, Mission said:

Oh, nooooo… I am so sorry to hear about your eye! And sorry you won’t be at the event, but so happy you are getting it taken care of and being safe.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

On 8/31/2023 at 11:26 AM, Mary Diamond said:

Unfortunately, my attendance is also dubious at this point. My Dad has gone back in the hospital. I will advise as I know more. William - please offer our fort space to others.

Oh no!  We'll miss you ❤

There have been a lot of changes to the 'list' for the event, what with health, work and financial obligations of life interfering, but we still have a good number of first time attendees for the event and we're looking forward to meeting everyone next Friday.  

We're glad to report that even with the earlier arrival and departure changes, people coming in on Wednesday and Thursday have managed to find accommodations.

As a reminder to everyone, the fort has asked that we be ready to move out of the fort when it closes on Sunday night, so please be prepared to pack up non-essentials in the late afternoon.  We wish it could be a longer stay, but we're grateful for the time we're allowed.  

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg