Massacre Island Planning

William Brand

On 4/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, Mary Diamond said:

Such a bad influence, William, see what you started…

Thank you?  heh.

We're working with Rob on some custom lanterns for the Fort.  These will be modified with a fe French artistic touches and color.  Anyone wishing to donate can send $20 and receive one of the old, stock Pyracy patches in thanks.  We've had three large donations so far and we're putting in lantern orders this week. 

The new lanterns will be unique to the fort, so there's no confusion about who owns what when we leave.  Coincidently, participants are highly encouraged to mark the bottom of their lanterns with personal identifiers

On 4/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, michaelsbagley said:

I will likely bring my wedge, which is 7' by 9', no guy-lines. I could go more rustic, but prefer a little privacy at events where things are a little more close.

Thank you!

On 4/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, madPete said:

Does anyone have period squirt guns? LOL

It's like we come up for reasons to look things up.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_gun

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some pictures of my Crazy Crow Trading Barn Lantern.

https://www.crazycrow.com/primitive-candle-lantern/18th-century-solid-brass-barn-lantern/

It's a nice enough looking lantern, but it's modern constructed - spot welded and double stick sponge tape. I wouldn't mind the spot welds so much if they had also brazed at least some of the joint gaps.

2023 CRAZY CROW BRAN 01.jpg

2023 CRAZY CROW BRAN 02.jpg

2023 CRAZY CROW BRAN 03.jpg

4 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

Crazy Crow Traders have some great bargain stuff... Much of it has "flaws"... but at arms length, and in a group of passionate, but forgiving people, they are a great resource.

Agreed! I've purchased several things over the years, hat blanks, wool gators, flint wallet, misc shooting supplies. In some cases I'll use the item as a starting off point and then rework it in some way - replacing plastic buttons, re-sewing/hand sew leather items.

Ummmm, hi. My name is Mary. (Hi, Mary.) I have a problem. Some might call it an addiction.

Please join me welcoming the latest, littlest, lantern to my collection.

It’s Williams fault. If not his, then definitely Rob Gorrell’s. 😊

5FA64E7F-B8B8-4675-8EFE-AA2FA13B96AB.jpeg

676771F7-1008-4362-A292-D0A7F609FFF1.jpeg

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

• 2 weeks later...

😂 Has this turned into Lanterns Anonymous? If so, I may have to join ye lot. Do candlesticks count, too? 

Those are right nice lanterns, all. 🏴‍☠️😉👍

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I managed to pack a sufficient amount of surgical gear into a small suitcase, but I am wondering if that is the best way to get it there. I am afraid an x-ray scan of all that metal junk will cause them to open it and the contents will come spilling out, possibly damaging some of it. (It's packed in both sides of the suitcase and has to be opened the right way.) From past love notes left by airport personnel in other searched suitcases and the resulting mess they leave, I know they are not careful, tossing everything back inside higgledy-piggledy once they've rooted around. 

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission, I am driving down...

If you are truly intent on attending, I am sure with us being only a few hours drive apart, we can arrange to meet up some time over the summer, and again some time in the autumn after the event to hand off the gear so I can bring it down and back up for you. That way you can have the gear without the worry of having to fly with it.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mr Bagley is a gem! He's got the best option!
Aye, Mission. Checkpoint Security will definitely freak out about it, even if you inform them ahead of time and definitely inform them before you put the case on the x ray belt. Alas, telling them it's delicate historical surgical equipment might not work, but kindness does go a long way and hopefully the security person is having a decent day. Then again, I'm not sure they will allow you to take some of the items on the carry-on. I'd say check with the airline counter, but Mr Bagley's offer is genuinely best. That's my 2 doubloons worth from a former Checkpoint Security person. Yeah, it sucks flying with that sort of stuff. 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Thanks Michael!  I feel Mission's pain. shipping  is out of sight on large items like that chest.

We will have to ship some things to the event, cause its just too much for suitcases. but at least its smaller stuff

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Michael - we must do that. It'll be easy for me since I already have it packed and ready to go. It's a carry on, so it won't even take much room. And there's this bike path in Lima that I would really like to ride...

To be clear, I am NOT talking about the security checkpoint when going to the gate. I was going to check the bag. But they still x-ray luggage there as well, as the notes I have found in my luggage after I retrieve it indicate. (I sent my clyster syringe in a checked bag and that got checked. Rightfully so, it probably looked like a pipe bomb. Alas, the thing got bent in the last shipment to Key West and no longer works, so the clyster syringe is not making this trip.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

The next few weekends are a bit hectic for me either family obligations or what-not... 

But any time in late July through August, I am game for meeting in Lima. Is it a mountain bike trail? Or paved trail? (Or gravel?). Im asking in case Jessica might be interested as well (she doesn't do mountain bike or gravel).

Michael_banner.jpg

Traillink lists it as a paved trail, 13.3 miles long, so about 26 miles out and back. (I see what looks like gravel in one of the user photos, though. Although Traillink is usually really good about indicating when a trail is only partially paved.)

My bike is a hybrid, so I primarily do paved and gravel bike trails, usually looking for those that I can do in an hour or two.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...