Massacre Island Planning

William Brand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the pierced brass lantern I purchased a few years back from Js Townsend. The only gripe I have is the door is a bit tight to close with a candle inside. but better that than too loose and flops open.

It came with a clear coating of some sort, I'm assuming to reduce corrosion?

Overall I'm very happy with it...

Pierced_lantern01.jpg.14e3acb8732381b486309702fd51ada7.jpg

Pierced_lantern02.jpg

Pierced_lantern03.jpg

Pierced_lantern04.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

The pierced ones dont give off a lot of light, maybe the micah window helps. Its just enough ambient light to find your way in the dark. But my eyes eyes are old too.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 3 weeks later...
Just a few details by way of update. We can confirm a few of the creature comforts at Massacre Island.

First, there are bathrooms inside the fort. With the addition of attendees we're going to chase after additional portable toilets for our use outside the fort as well. This will cover the needs of attendees arriving early for set-up and break-down after.

Second, there will be showers available within a short walking distance of the fort, so you'll be able to wash off some of the sun and sand of the event while staying there.

Potable water spigots will be available inside and outside of the fort.

There will be a limited number of cookfires, but the main camps will have them for cooking and atmosphere.

We should also have access to the original fort bakery for making period breads.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering about how much space we're being allotted. I would like to start planning out how many structures we'll be putting up, whether they be personal tents or something a little bigger like a kitchen lean too that can double as a shade structure, and from there how many vehicles we will need to transport everything. We are flexible, we have guys that routinely sleep on the beach or next to the fire, so we don't need a one to one person to tent ration or anything fancy like that. As this is our first public event that the Crew of the Scavenger has attended since before covid I also need to start working on the construction of the kitchen lean to.  Do we have dimensions of our crews assigned spot, even if it is rough? 

17 hours ago, Captain Jack Sawford said:

I was wondering about how much space we're being allotted. I would like to start planning out how many structures we'll be putting up, whether they be personal tents or something a little bigger like a kitchen lean too that can double as a shade structure, and from there how many vehicles we will need to transport everything. We are flexible, we have guys that routinely sleep on the beach or next to the fire, so we don't need a one to one person to tent ration or anything fancy like that. As this is our first public event that the Crew of the Scavenger has attended since before covid I also need to start working on the construction of the kitchen lean to.  Do we have dimensions of our crews assigned spot, even if it is rough? 

We have 'elbow' room.  You should definitely bring the 'kitchen/lean-to' tent for the shade.  It's going to be warm.  We want a careening/trade/open market kind of set-up.  Think of the overall camp as a temporary set-up for the purposes of trading with the French ashore.  the use of rough poles and local materials combined with loose cargo canvas and the like.  Tents thrown in.  

We're avoiding unnecessary set dressing like ship wheels, skulls, etc.  Just the pragmatism of sailors ashore and goods to be sold.  

We welcome bales, barrels, sailcloth, hampers, casks, etc.  Goods and supplies.

20 hours ago, Captain Jack Sawford said:

I was wondering about how much space we're being allotted.

Captain Sawford, it's my understanding that we will have bunches of space inside the fort (maybe more than we can fill). I know this answer doesn't quantify into measurable square foot numbers just this moment. But it's my understanding that if needed, we also have (overflow) space available to us outside and along the fort walls - near the outer green and along the outside wall on the beach.

William is currently collecting everyone's camp/tent foot print size needs and at some point we should have a roughly blocked layout.

So let William know what gear you you're bringing and the minimum and maximum space you need.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned in a previous conversation that my tent has a standard (?) 10x10 or 12x12 footprint - no guide lines. I'm planning to make a shade awning, maybe a 12x15 piece of canvas tethered off the side of my tent. In total, a 10x20 footprint with poles and guide lines. I'll update you once I've got it figured out.  

The kitchen area will be 18x15 ft, or if that's too excessive it could potentially be 8x12 , but that will indeed be small.

The other  tents will be simple in design, built around a post on either end with a pole stretched between, over which the canvas was stretched. No more than 4 feet wide by 10 feet long, but we can fold up the fabric to make them shorter.

We will also have wood crates and cargo bales with multiple brass barrels and an iron spider pan for cooking over our central fire.

I dont know how helpful this actually is as far as getting a sense of our overall layout, but we arent setting up again until our get together in June, which will give us a better ideaa.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:30 PM, madPete said:

9x10 wedge - no guidelines

12x12 fly,with guidelines more like 15x15. I'll have to scrounge for poles at the event

Thank you.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:33 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

I mentioned in a previous conversation that my tent has a standard (?) 10x10 or 12x12 footprint - no guide lines. I'm planning to make a shade awning, maybe a 12x15 piece of canvas tethered off the side of my tent. In total, a 10x20 footprint with poles and guide lines. I'll update you once I've got it figured out.  

Thank you.  I don't mind any redundancy in conversations on these details.  It helps with information assurance.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:24 AM, Captain Jack Sawford said:

I dont know how helpful this actually is as far as getting a sense of our overall layout, but we arent setting up again until our get together in June, which will give us a better ideaa.

It's all good information.  We should have plenty of room to accommodate the 'gross' use of your camp footprint.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:49 PM, Mary Diamond said:

We will be bringing my A-frame tent, which has a 6x8 footprint, if I recall correctly. The Fleet (my fly/ordinary-ish), is 10x10, not including the wings (each about 8x10), which are extended as needed.

It's good to have lots of shade options against the expected heat.

1 hour ago, Mary Diamond said:

Such a bad influence, William, see what you started…

Yes William see what you've done, sewing the seeds of chaos...

Mary, those look amazing! What ones are they? Open Top? Guard?

Just last week I ordered one of Rob's, https://www.robgorrell.com, "Open Top Lanterns". Mine is going to be antiqued though - I might splash a little paint on it and then hit it some steel wool.

At some point I'll take pictures and of the "Brass Barn Lantern" I got through Crazy Crow Trading, https://www.crazycrow.com/candle-lanterns. The "Ship Lantern" I ordered from them wasn't in stock - that order is canceled.

5 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Rob Gorrell, Open Top and Naval.

Noice!

Well it looks like I'm going to have order one of those Naval lanterns at some point - out of all the garbage I collect, I never thought I would start collecting lanterns.

Thanks Mary for egging me on.