Massacre Island Planning

William Brand

This is a placeholder for planning.  Details to be added later.

Just a short list of activities being discussed:

Camping in and around the fort
Black powder muskets, pistols and cannons
Skirmishes and battles
Historic demonstrations
Reading of the Articles
Period plays
Mock trials
Live music
Ghost Walks
An ‘auction before the mast’ on Saturday Night
Special merchandise celebrating the event and the Pub

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were waiting to hear where we might be sailing. Have lots of new songs in the repertoire. What fun would this be, to see old mates from KW DAYS and new ones. Been a while. 

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

EDIT:  Participants can show up Friday Morning, but the event ends shortly after the park closes on Sunday night.  Originally we were told that we could arrive earlier and stay later, but they changed their minds.  Some of us are camping or hoteling before and after.

The planning continues, but I can now confirm early arrival for camping participants.  There are some specific limitations to arriving early, but they're minor.  Participants can show up Wednesday night and stay through Monday morning, so you can enjoy the place for days!  specific times and details on this to follow, but we can camp!

This is what I did for my travel tent.  I found some 1-1/4 canopy connectors and cut down some 1-1/4 Dowels to fit in my duffel (about 30 inches long. Then I smeared glue all over the connectors and wrapped a length of twine around the connector. These go inside my tent so they aren't obvious, but at least I have poles for my tent... [EDIT: Sorry they are 1-3/8 closet poles and connectors and the oar was 1-3/8]

Poles_32.jpg.ac5d5fb69823fbe503723115c8633ee7.jpg

connectors.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, madPete said:

This is what I did for my travel tent.  I found some 1-1/4 canopy connectors and cut down some 1-1/4 Dowels to fit in my duffel (about 30 inches long. Then I smeared glue all over the connectors and wrapped a length of twine around the connector. These go inside my tent so they aren't obvious, but at least I have poles for my tent...

That's not a bad idea for travel oars as poles.  Not bad at all!

We are strongly encouraging all participants to purchase a period lantern for the event.  The added lighting at night will improve the photo opportunities and atmosphere of the camps.  We are also doing some after hours events which may involve walking around (we'll explain this later) and you'll want a good lantern.

18 hours ago, William Brand said:

We are strongly encouraging all participants to purchase a period lantern for the event.  The added lighting at night will improve the photo opportunities and atmosphere of the camps.  We are also doing some after hours events which may involve walking around (we'll explain this later) and you'll want a good lantern.

A good source or 4?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Presently at my limit of lanterns (and hats, and sewing machines, and woodworking tools…), but I thought I would offer this selection of lanthorns for review…

https://hmwpa.com/shophome/770c-guilford-horn-hanging-lantern/

USA made, this beauty can be had for about $3,000, if you don’t want to bring your antique one. The last antique one I had seen were going for $890.

https://sedorantiques.com/product/18th-19th-century-lantern-or-lanthorn

Want something a little more budget friendly? How about less than $40?

https://www.amazon.com/Tekky-Animated-Halloween-Spooky-Lantern/dp/B07Y3GTV36

Something for every budget 😊😄

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!