Hawaiian Chiftain For Sale

:) Hmm, Aye be not sayin' a word 'ere, mates..So, ye be callin' this respectable Pirate woman a 'liar'???

Poision Quill states after last Sunday........

Ahoy and good morning mates!!

Aye t'was a fine day yesterday!!! Yet another unforgettable sea battle, especially for me, as this was my first time at the helm in an engagement. Thank ye Captain for yer compliments!! *great big grin* but the only reason I was able to keep tailing our prey as she did her best to shake us, was because of the fine job done by our deck crew on the Royaliste's sails!

We had to come about (turn quickly) several times, and each time the crew on the sails had to scramble to swap the sails over to the belaying pins on the other side of the deck and adjust them for optimum performance. I had to keep my attention focused on getting us positioned crosswise to rake the sterns of the targets and to watch out for the little boats that were there to enjoy the melee. I tell ya, the deck crew had Royaliste performing SWEET!!!!!!!! Sweet as rum laced with sugar n' gunpowder! I'd yell that we were coming about and they were on it so quickly, that it was an utterly seamless transition. Smooth as silk!

And the gun crew was rockin'- Knockin' their socks off!! They kept the deck guns screamin' and dealt with a couple of wet guns in the midst of the fray. They were backed up by the small arms crew, who were firing every 'lock on board! Patrick Hand has got reloading his musket worked out to a finely-tuned science!

Gary impressed (and worried!) us all, as he was his usual, irrepressable self, despite being only three days out of surgery and being hounded by all the pirate moms on board to take it easy! Cherry did a great job out on the bowsprit, taking care of the jib!

Early on in the sail, we had to make an unscheduled return to the slip to pick up lifejackets and on making the tricky entrance back into the slip, the newer pirate girls were called upon to fend off (push the ship off the sea wall) Doing this can be quite formidable the first few times, as it requires the pirates fending off to use brute strength to push back against 30 tons of ship in motion, by sticking your arms and legs between the ship and the sea wall and hold her back. When I called out "Anyone with legs fend off!!" They were on it in a heartbeat and didn't hesitate for an instant.

On our approach to the battle, CT Ben hoisted our new red ensign (red signifies that no quarter {no mercy} will be given) and played the fife, which is quickly becoming a 'signature' of the Royaliste.

The camera crew was on the job and thanks to them, we have photos of the action!

And even Sandy the pirate dog did great- he wasn't the least bit intimidated by the pirates he hadn't met before (or seen in a long time) or by the firing guns and scrambling crew! He took everything in stride.

I am so proud to call these pirates crew. Well done mates, well done indeed.

..So, your reply, gents??....You assume quite a lot, methinks.......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries Captain. I don't believe they were refering to this last sea battle... That or I was on a different ship!

Guys, I'll admit one thing, that there has been a learning curve with our crew. But that is part of the beauty of what's been taking place aboard the Royaliste. We're a group of people who have come together who, for the most part, have little or no prior experience. Hence the sails being set in the earlier days. Gary has had to work with a crew that was 90% or more inexperienced and untrained. This just doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. We've all got day jobs during the week and families to take care of, not to mention some of us who are also in school. We don't get out on the water every day of the week, so this has taken some time.

And yet... here we are doing all of this. I'm am incredibly proud of how far this crew has come, especially considering our origins. And Gary deserves a friggin' medal for all he's done for all of us. I don't know of a single Captain anywhere who has opened his home/ship and taken a bunch of rag-tag pirates under his wing and taught them in the way he has. No one does that.

We're not a commercial enterprise and it's a huge struggle to make ends meet. We don't have pros aboard. We don't make anything at this. We're out their sailing with injuries, we're sailing when we're broke and can't afford to, when we're sick with the flu and when there's a million other things we really ought to be doing.

Yup... I am damn proud to be a member of this crew.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

So I'm one of the Royaliste newbies, learning to sail the ship with only minor previous sailing experience. I am one of a microscopic handful of humans alive on this planet who have been lucky enough to sail on a tall ship, and have Gary and Claire to thank for it. Although my first couple of sails involved engine usage thanks to absolutely no wind on the Bay in January, I can definitely say that last Sunday's battle was an all-sail-up learning experience.

We're all damn fortunate to be able to sail on these fine vessels, so please brag away! These are magnificent works of art that deserve a good crew, newbie or otherwise, to rant and rave about how great they are and how everybody else sucks. It's all in good fun. :)

Oh and here's a photo of our first approach towards the Lady Washington and the Chieftain. Notice the angle the Royaliste is at, and the fullness of the sails. No engine support needed. :lol:

Battle1.jpg

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Pah!

Sailing with the motor runnin` ain't exactly sailin`, Royalist !

Har , har , har !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me thinks he otter swap `at ol` rickety boat fer sompin` wot gots trainin` wheels attached .

I guess thru your skidmark-stained glasses, you missed the post on the Chieftain and the 'Lady' both motoring as fast as they could last Sunday, refer your lame-arsed reply where it belongs, thanx :rolleyes:

From last week-

Hmm, not much to post, without bein' accused 'o something,but.....a note...The 'Royaliste' went to sea, under full sail,in costume and 'came across' two rather unusual powerboats....Both had squaresails, but were traveling away rather fast burning a large amount of diesel fuel.....So much for the rumor or claim from the Wussington about 'sea battles under sail, not power.........The HaWhining Chicken was in usual form, other than crying loudly and whining in public,engines humming, and mebbee the skipper.........Nevermind, where's the rum???.....With a fine WOMAN at the helm, and a rather beat up one-armed captain overseeing the gun battery, there was little doubt in the minds of those involved 'who won'!!!....All good fun!

:rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You sure do get riled up, don`t ya , son. Jez be careful `bout slingin` mud at the other fine ships . I rekon nobody`ll be takin` pot shots at tha Royalist then .

give a little , git a little , eh wot ?!?

Do unto others.... because it`s fun !?!

there was little doubt in the minds of those involved 'who won'

Well, yar, tis easy ta win when yer the only one keepin score and reportin tha skirmish. We ain't heard nuffink from the other particpants, I sees.

Sinclaire, ye old flubbucket, when did ye start wearin specs?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not after me.

:rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You sure do get riled up, don`t ya , son. Jez be careful `bout slingin` mud at the other fine ships . I rekon nobody`ll be takin` pot shots at tha Royalist then .

give a little , git a little , eh wot ?!?

Actually, I don' get a bit riled up o'er this kinda thing, I leave it to the women in the crew, they picked the names! ;) ..Hard for me to do anything but laff, as I sail every week, as canvased as the weather allows..We sailed for 5 hours after the incident they are referring to from last year, and I'm doin' my pirate thing for fun!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thar be plenty 'o photo's floatin' in the Bay from last week to back their humorous pinings, an' I don' see the other's postin' anything different! :D

We stated long ago that we preferred being 'fun nazi's', and still hold to that in 'Tales of the Seven Seas'......... :)

Ya know we all should defend the Lady's of our hearts. I'm really disappointed that when the other two ships (who set the rules) don't feel they need to follow them. Has anyone (other than us) thought about how much fun we could bring to our own lives as well as their customers? We have the chance to improve our sailing and gunnin ability.

Can't we all just get along? Or was I missing when they gave all the rest of us the notice the The Hawian Chieftian and the Lady Washington own the bay?

I may be a newbie but I know that we would all have more fun fightin each other than fightin on this forum. :ph34r:

By the way not a one of us have a problem with the Lady's, just their hardheaded whoevers. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photo; I rarely see a shot of the Royaliste from the sea since I've been crewing with the ship since early last year.

That was the first engagement in the late summer or early fall of last year, very little wind and we did have the motor engaged, as did at least one of the other two vessels.

This years engagement was sail only once we neared our quarry and it was so much fun! There is no real winning or losing with mock battles, only the pure enjoyment and exhilaration of wind, sea and, black powder!!!

Bragging? Well yes of course!!!!!

What good crew doesn’t brag about his ship? I would think that a tradition since the beginning of sailing, that is of course unless you were chained to an oar in a box that floats, aaaaaaand a stitch of sail.

Hawaiian Chieftain

You strike a fine figure against the backdrop of the sea, I wish you luck with your business venture and hope the ship stays in the Bay.

No ill intentions or feelings Mates.

Lady Washington

She’s a bit of living history for us all to enjoy, I can understand the fond feelings you must all have for her and the traditions she represents. She’s a great ship Mates.

Now back to being part of the FINEST REENACTMENT PIRATE CREW upon the Bay!!!!!

FUN BEFORES ALL I SAYS

Saber

Regular Crewmember of the Royaliste

:D

:D

Aye it twere last fall. I can't speak fer the chieftain, but the Lady did fire up once ta go full astern ta avoid that schooner with the tanbark sails (any idea who she were, by the way?) who was so kind ta stuff herself betwixt us, and the chieftain. Which be an acceptable, an' expected time ta fire up the motor (it be cheaper than rebuildin' tha boats).

She gets under your skin and all other ships sudden look like tug boats by comparison...LOL!

Lassie , anyone who`s made their livin` on the sea knows , whether it be from the fishin` rigs to tha tugboats to cargo vessels , even tha naval vessels , thar be a big difference between them.

They all have a purpose to serve , and they are all glorious in their own right .

I`d think ya all would have figured that out by now .

There is no joy or good to be found in speakin` ill of any ocean goin` vessel. It`s bad luck and bound to bring your fine crew a certain misfortune.

Do unto others.... because it`s fun !?!

I agree that if ye set the rules, ye should follow them as well. That said, all tall ships are ambassadors to their kind. They spark imagination in everyone who sees them. That spark helps all of them.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I agree that if ye set the rules, ye should follow them as well. That said, all tall ships are ambassadors to their kind. They spark imagination in everyone who sees them. That spark helps all of them.

RR mailbox n'er received a set of 'rules' :D ..e'en so, this be a pirate pub, not the choirloft and therefore 'rules' are generally looked upon as 'guidelines'.....but now that you bring it up, this whole thread is out of place. The Pub has a place set up for 'for sale' items, it's the 'Plunder' column......Now, you wuz mentionin' 'rules'??? :lol:

Stand Down, and ye may just live...

We communicated with two members of last season's crew after the sail on November 1st. We gave photos of the Lady Washington to your crew and the website of one of our crewmembers was linked to on Lady Washington's website.

I personally communicated with John, the first mate of the Lady Washington, and we exchanged several emails. He apologized for the behavior of the crew of the Lady Washington when they mooned us. I let him know it was no problem and that we felt it was all done in good, spirited fun. We got a kick out of it and even got mooned by another ship the following week!

What he asked us to do was this: When the Lady Washington came back through, that we should engage her under sail, without using the engines and that we should be fully costumed. The crew of the Royaliste agreed that this is a much better way to do a sea battle and we've been looking forward so much to the Lady's return and some good old-fashioned, good-time rivalry.

I emailed John several weeks ago to remind him that we were coming. I saw that he was no longer listed on the current crew and asked him to forward the message on to the proper party aboard. I never did get a response back, so we had to assume that it was all still a go, we'd never heard otherwise.

So we organized it, planned it and came out doing exactly what we'd been asked to do. We were very surprised by the unfriendly reception and even more surprised when we were asked to fall off.

Please do fill us in on what you expect of us. We are more than willing to be friendly and cooperative, but it is very hard to do this without communication from your crew. My email is talesofthesevenseas@hotmail.com I will be happy to provide you with whatever phone numbers and/or email addresses you need to insure good open communication with the Royaliste in the future.

Wow. The things I miss when I'm not looking....

My comments on all of this. Take them as you will.

I was speaking with someone last night, and it only now came to my attention that anything was amiss with last weekend. While I was unable to get details because said individual preffered not to elaborate on them (mostly not to offend me, I gather), I got the impression that there are some severely uncomfortable thoughts floating about. What I picked up, however, qualified in the category of "the people saying these things really should be talking directly to the people that they have the problems with, and not spouting them off to the general online public."

But that's just my opinion.

I sincerely hope any "bad feelings" that people are dealing with are resolved soon, because as much as I want to say "eh, this isn't bothering me", to know that there are those that are upset about some things does nick at me a bit.

It's all about the joy of getting on the water and having fun. I think that's what we all want here...I know it's what I want...

And I missed you guys, even though I wasn't out..but deadlines is deadlines... :lol:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Well said Penny.

Again, Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, please contact us, our emails for the most part go unanswered. We'd also be happy to make a dockside visit, or arrange a meeting, perhaps through Sail San Francisco, since all of our orgainizations work with them. Whatever it takes to make your preferences known to us.

Wow. The things I miss when I'm not looking....

Ah, I missed this whole sail.

But, for what it's worth...

I've sailed with the Royaliste a number of times. I love her and her captain and crew.

But...

I also feel my spirits lift whenever I see the Chieftain or the Lady. My life is richer because of all three ships. I've rarely had more fun than the day last fall when we interacted with them, and the Aldebaran. Afterward, I had very positive emails with people who'd been aboard the other three, and with the Lady Luck webmaster and everything seemed upbeat. I'm very proud on behalf of our crew that we're now able to go out under full sail--I just wish I'd been there. We've come a long way, with Gary's patient help.

I would love the opportunity to "play" with the Chieftain and Lady again, and very much hope that differences--whatever they are--can be resolved so that crew and passengers on all three can light off their cannons at each other in the spirit of loud, roaring good will!

We're all out there because we love it, after all.

-- The Peace and Light Pirate ;)

Again, Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, please contact us, our emails for the most part go unanswered.

Quill, I'm not sure about this, but it may well be possible that the crews of either ship may not be seeing anything online at the moment, what with being on tour and all. I could be wrong and they have regular net access, but I know our Cap'n is a hard person to contact when the ship's on the water, and I'm guessing there isn't all THAT much time to deal with online things when they're docked.

Perhaps someone that speaks to either ship's crew face to face in the near future can relay the message their way?

And as a casual aside..to those of you who might be in other forums elsewhere, or other places where all of this might be discussed...if there ARE problems that people are stating publically that seem like stuff that should be directed elsewhere, or any complaint for that matter...I encourage you to have them take these things to the appropriate people. Point them to Quill, as she's kindly offered herself as a liason for such things.

This, I believe, is the big thing right now. People love to either stuff their opinions to themselves, or communicate to all the wrong people..the ones who essentially can do nothing more than be the ear that listens. In some cases, that may be all that's needed, but I think this may be something where those involved NEED to know which way is up.

That, and for people to realize that any "nicknames" given to any ship we've played with have been given in the spirit of playful humor. I see it as when I call my younger sibling "the blister" because when she was little, she was the biggest pain in the rear you could imagine. I still love her to death and would easily put my life on the line for her, but I still consider her the "brat kid".

Likewise, I have a great appreciation for both the Lady and the Chieftan, but I'll still address them as "the Pineapple" and "the Intercepted" from time to time. It's like the old addage: "we wouldn't pick on you if we didn't care.." Mind, if I was told "OK, that's enough, Penny", I will respectfully stop my mischief...but one has to first tell me something is bugging them, correct?

I certainly wouldn't do more than giggle if we got called say, the "Royalpain" if it's a name given to us as a joke... ;)

Urgh. I shall be quiet now and drink rum. Arr. ;)

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-