Swords for a Pirate Lass??

Lady Elaina

swordsonline.com is where I get mine.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Aye. Same here.

Is there something in specific you may be looking going Lady Elaina? Light? heavy? Fencing? nasty/pissy lookin'?

The one I have is that Civ War heavy cavalry saber... it's one of the tarnished swords crossed over with the Sparrow skull in the PotC logo. Brass with the 3 bands & black leather. But they are not kidding when it's heavy. Huge thing, too.

I, unfortunately, don't know of many places online for swords. Other than G. Gedney Godwin... but.. they are not all that cheap & their swords are relative to Rev War.

I wish ya luck finding one.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'd suggest buying one at a ren faire... or at least testing some out there. Its hard to know what weight your wrist can handle. Me and my dainty wrists required a rapier with a 3/4 hilt (compared to a nearly identical one that had a bit larger hilt but was too heavy).

Good Plunderin!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

Are you looking to actually fight with a sword, or just get one to whack around a bit? I'd suggest learning to fence first, starting off with a cheap practice fencing sabre or foil off of eBay. Amazon.com and your local library may have fencing books, or you can take classes at your local community college. I took fencing at UCSC, and it was the most fun class I ever had!

If you want to learn to fight with a cutlass, that's going to be different than using a modern fencing sword. At least you can develop the hand-eye coordination first, then hunt down a stage combat studio to take more classes at.

I'm thinking myself about getting back into fencing shape with a sabre, but for now I am sticking with my new toy, my new Loyalist Arms cutlass which should be in the mail tomorrow. :) They say they're light battle-worthy, and I'll give an update on the quality etc. when it gets here.

Ahh, nothing like new toys in the mail. . .I'll be a proper pirate now!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

One o' my swords be a fencing eppe (don't know if I spelled that right) that I got from http://www.thepiratestreasure.com/index.html . They also carry a line that they do themselves. They be right fair prices an' delivery is prompt. I also got a couple o' replica pistols from 'em an' I been quite pleased with their stuff. Good luck and I hope ye get what yer lookin' fer.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Lady Elaina,

Congrats! I hope you have a great time learning how to fence.

If you still need a foil, try these folks:

http://www.americanfencerssupply.com/

I bought my first foil there. They're located in San Francisco, and have lovely weapons in their armory to peruse that aren't on their website.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I'd suggest buying one at a ren faire... or at least testing some out there. Its hard to know what weight your wrist can handle. Me and my dainty wrists required a rapier with a 3/4 hilt (compared to a nearly identical one that had a bit larger hilt but was too heavy).

Good Plunderin!

Ahoy Dreamy,

Funny thing is that most hilts on antique swords are much smaller than on modern reproductions. Many ham-fisted, beef fed guys can't get their mits into basket hilts, cutlasses, or rapiers of the era.

if you had limitless dosh to spend (actually, they aren't that badly priced at all, but might seem pricey to those not used to buying quality reproductions), there is "Arms & Armour"Arms & Armour

Go and look at those rapiers!

FOr less money, but a supurb weapon (and one that can be made specifically for stage combat), there is always Lutel.Lutel

Made with a super balance, to historical designs, and made out of High carbon steel. No rat tailed tangs here (Lutel uses a constructed tang, but one that can take anything being short of run over by a Tank).

I'd go with these options If I wanted a rapier that had supurb balance, historical proportions for your dainty mitts, and was actually constructed with the durability of a real sword rather than a prop.

I should note that when looking at Czech prices at Lutel, divide roughly by 30 to arrive at cost in US dollars. I think they have a currency converter attatched to the site.

I will start with foils because I am a newbie. I may buy an additional sword just for looks. Me training starts in 3 weeks.

Cheers!!

Gabrielle :

Elaina and all- going to chuck out an idea here that some may think heresy. First, I've been practising swordplay on a bunch of levels since 1978, in various re-enactment groups and societies. I am NOT in favour of learning foil unless you are actually going to use the form for competition on a club level. As I've taken students to learn other forms, I spend the first couple of weeks removing the bad habits they've learned from thier foil instructors. Foil, as currently taught, has a lot of artificial conventions that have nothing to do with real swordplay.

Add to that, I've been injured more with foils than with any other sword form, and that includes live steel. The extreme whippiness lends itself to leaving long welts, especially in the hands of a novice trying to bring a blade back on line. The quarter sized bruises from an epee are far less painful.

In actual fact, a number of us around the sword community are working with starting our students with heavy blades: Del Tins, double canelures, Armour Class blades, right from the start. Teach people with a full weight weapon righ from the start. Of course, that means that it will be some time before they get to cross blades with anyone, since they need to learn blade control first.

Just an idea, but something to think about.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I will start with foils because I am a newbie. I may buy an additional sword just for looks. Me training starts in 3 weeks.

Cheers!!

Gabrielle :

Elaina and all- going to chuck out an idea here that some may think heresy. First, I've been practising swordplay on a bunch of levels since 1978, in various re-enactment groups and societies. I am NOT in favour of learning foil unless you are actually going to use the form for competition on a club level. As I've taken students to learn other forms, I spend the first couple of weeks removing the bad habits they've learned from thier foil instructors. Foil, as currently taught, has a lot of artificial conventions that have nothing to do with real swordplay.

Add to that, I've been injured more with foils than with any other sword form, and that includes live steel. The extreme whippiness lends itself to leaving long welts, especially in the hands of a novice trying to bring a blade back on line. The quarter sized bruises from an epee are far less painful.

In actual fact, a number of us around the sword community are working with starting our students with heavy blades: Del Tins, double canelures, Armour Class blades, right from the start. Teach people with a full weight weapon righ from the start. Of course, that means that it will be some time before they get to cross blades with anyone, since they need to learn blade control first.

Just an idea, but something to think about.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Excellent point Hawkyns. Modern foil work indeed bears little resemblence to any actual technique, including the smallsword it was derived from.

If a person is serious about wanting to learn actual technique, it's important to become familiar with good representations of the weaponry. Unlearning modern fencing footwork is extremely difficult for most.

Then again, you and I have been to some of the same courses...

Yes it is something to think about. However... I cannot find any sword combat lessons in my area here In tampa bay. So this person from my crew is coming up from along way to train me with foils. If there is someone in the Sarasota, Tampa bay or Central florida area that is willing to train me that is wonderful. I heard there is a crew in Sarasota... I am looking into that possiblity for training purposes. But I would rather learn the work of a real blade.... I am a newbie and thank you all for the kind advices. I had no idea of the difference.

However, I think with extreme ballet training in my belt I will be able to catch on quick, maybe I will be able to train at the next festival that I'm going to in Hampton?? Any takers?? LOL

newbie newbie Gabrielle :lol:

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

However, I think with extreme ballet training in my belt I will be able to catch on quick, maybe I will be able to train at the next festival that I'm going to in Hampton?? Any takers?? LOL

Lady Elaina, ballet will certainly help you in fencing. Balance, coordenation, foot control are all important in any kind-of swordplay. Not to mention the endurance and stamina that ballet demands comes into play as well. I just recently finished a book called " By the Sword" ,I'm sorry I forget the authors name, and in it there is a chapter on a German world champion womens fencer who had started out as a ballet dancer. Not having done any ballet myself, I have had lessons in foil and saber fencing and they are both great fun, especially saber with it's larger target area and getting to useing the edge as well as the point. Despite what some men may think, women do make for a formitable apponent. They have quicker reflexes and better timeing and rhythm than alot of men. And in fencing speed and agility count alot more than sheer brute strength. Remember fencing is a sport of finesse which women also have in abundance. So have fun, and good luck.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Yes, and thank you for proving my point. I actually heard about that also... how Ballet plays an important role in swordplay.. due to it being like a very disciplined dance.

I can't wait to start!!! Thank you for sharing !!!!

Gabrielle B)

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Just got my sword in from Loyalist Arms. . . it's beautiful!

I was torn between getting a pirate cutlass and something smaller, and I'm glad I went with the smaller sword since I'm a petite lass. As it is, it's very heavy and has a gorgeous unsharpened blade that will still hack through an arm if I swing it with any force.

I picked the British 1751 Pattern sword. Small, cutlass-shaped, with a nice brass hilt.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/in...ntryswords.html

They had really helpful customer service, but unfortunately don't accept credit cards so you have to mail a money order. They were very kind and rushed my order so I'd have it this week.

I'm bringing it on the Valentine's Day sail, so ask to see it if you're interested.

-Jennifer