Swords for a Pirate Lass??

Lady Elaina

Always glad to hear of someone acquiring new steel!!!! Congratulations!!!

For the weight, if you can, do some weightlifting/strength training. Also, to build up the wrists and hands, which is where a lot of your power comes from, I sit and play hand to hand catch with a 3 pound dumbell. Maybe a 2 pound would do for you. Just toss it hand to hand, get to the point where you don't have to watch. Builds the strength and the reflex, and you can do it while watching pirate movies.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Just got my sword in from Loyalist Arms. . . it's beautiful!

I was torn between getting a pirate cutlass and something smaller, and I'm glad I went with the smaller sword since I'm a petite lass. As it is, it's very heavy and has a gorgeous unsharpened blade that will still hack through an arm if I swing it with any force.

I picked the British 1751 Pattern sword. Small, cutlass-shaped, with a nice brass hilt.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/in...ntryswords.html

They had really helpful customer service, but unfortunately don't accept credit cards so you have to mail a money order. They were very kind and rushed my order so I'd have it this week.

I'm bringing it on the Valentine's Day sail, so ask to see it if you're interested.

That's interesting.

The originals weighed about 1.5 pounds, which is fairly light as swords go. (Though the smallswords of the period were even lighter.)

Do you have means of weighing the sword? I'd be interested to know what it comes in at. Reproductions are generally heavier than originals, and reproductions intended for reenactment are often not merely unsharpened, but have thicker edges, which can add to the weight.

It's unfortunate that they don't accept credit cards. I hadn't realized that. It removes a layer of protection for the buyer, though I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.

I am looking for a side sport. Currently I practice kendo, the same training as a Japanese samurai. I am on the US woman's team. I use two swords at once, one is 3 feet, the smaller is 1 foot long. Any good ideas?

I love being on leave.

I just weighed the sword, no scabbard. . . my postal scale (I use it to weigh birds and it's pretty accurate vs. the vet's expensive scale) says 2 pounds, 15.8 oz. . . .so almost 3 pounds. Compared to Deacon Frye's quote of 1.5 pounds, that's pretty heavy, huh? Is that unusual for a sword? Its blade length is 24 3/4", and the total length is 30 1/2".

If I swing it around for more than a minute or two, my wrist gets really tired. Thanks for the tip about the weights, Hawkyns. I'll see if I can pick up a weighted ball to toss around, and I also have a gyroscope designed to help with repeatative stress injuries that I haven't used in a while which would also help. How silly will I look carrying around a sword I can barely lift? Time to get buffed. ARRRRRR!

Loyalist was so friendly and helpful that I'd really have a hard time telling anyone to worry about sending them money. Just to be safe, I'd recommend sending the money with tracking just in case. :) I'm definitely saving up my dubloons right now for a Queen Anne pistol from them.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Congrats, Akasha. ;) Much luck in skewering your victums. :: evil grinz::

Hawkyns... wonderful idea! I've never thought of that. I should start doing that then. I have a Civil War heavy dragoon saber... three banded brass & black leather hilt...the one on the skull PotC logo... LOL, tarnish & all which just makes people jealous... but, yeah.. that sucker is heavy! Great if you are on horseback in a charge, but on foot... it's rather heavy. So, the tossing around dumbells I'm sure will work. :) Thanks, mate! :: tosses ya a couple rum bottles & gold pieces::

Minrat.. very cool! I've done some Arnis in the past. My unit commander of Lee's Legion (Rev War) will be teaching me some fencing. Can't wait. I have a very old fencing foil in which he's going to fix up for me & train me. I'm so excited.

BTW.. I wish ya luck, shipmate! Skewer yer opponent! ;)

Lady Elaina... tough decision, isn't it? Have any that catch your eyes?

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

must.... refrain .... from ...crude ...comment

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Three words: eBay eBay eBay.

eBay is wonderful for lookin' at a broad range of swords, and the prices are I guarantee far better than you will find at most specialty sites or ren faires.

But I agree, ren faires typically have very well-made swords that are very much fit for practicing the slash with, so to speak. And you can also guage how heavy it is and how you like its look better than you can online.

Whatever floats yer boat, lassie! I have one I got on eBay, very long, brass and steel. Purdy thing.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Just got my sword in from Loyalist Arms. . . it's beautiful!

I was torn between getting a pirate cutlass and something smaller, and I'm glad I went with the smaller sword since I'm a petite lass. As it is, it's very heavy and has a gorgeous unsharpened blade that will still hack through an arm if I swing it with any force.

I picked the British 1751 Pattern sword. Small, cutlass-shaped, with a nice brass hilt.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/in...ntryswords.html

They had really helpful customer service, but unfortunately don't accept credit cards so you have to mail a money order. They were very kind and rushed my order so I'd have it this week.

I'm bringing it on the Valentine's Day sail, so ask to see it if you're interested.

Ahoy Akasha Zuul,

It will please you to know that hangers of the type you describe (actually, both the '1742' and '1751' patterns -an erroneous description of long standing amongst collectors, given solely on the basis of Morriers series of paintings of regimental uniforms) exist having naval pedigrees - in Boarders Away Vol I, there is a picture of a '1742' with an anchor stamped or cast into the pommel.

There is no doubt they saw Sea and Land service, and are really indistinguishable in use from cutlasses . For example. the "Gargoyle head" (a cast brass hilt featuring a pommel of a lion head with scales, taken from the national symbol of Ceylon, and brought to Europe and popularised by the Dutch) series was in use on land and sea beginning from the late 17th century, up into the 1750's - examples are extant from 1670 - the mid 1750's, known to have been used as cutlasses, infantry hangers, musicians hangers, and there is even a semi-basket branch guard varient that is credited with being Grenadier seargents hangers (See Neumand "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution).

So use away, and if any stitch counter gives you a hard time, tell him to stuff it, or send him my way, and I will give him such a dose of his own medicine that he will flee hollering like the "screamapillar". :)

P.S.

Regarding the wieght, Decon Fry has the right of it - it is designed as a 'blunt', and the thicker edge, and lack of distal taper add the spare pound

Three words: eBay eBay eBay.

eBay is wonderful for lookin' at a broad range of swords, and the prices are I guarantee far better than you will find at most specialty sites or ren faires.

But I agree, ren faires typically have very well-made swords that are very much fit for practicing the slash with, so to speak. And you can also guage how heavy it is and how you like its look better than you can online.

Whatever floats yer boat, lassie! I have one I got on eBay, very long, brass and steel. Purdy thing.

Captain Wolfy Wench

While I do not doubt the wisdom of your advice if one is only looking for a costume accessory, I would not recommend the method for a sword intended for use in any serious way. One is more likely to get a partial tanged, poorly welded, untempered POS from merely going by E-Bay pictures and descriptions, than to get a item that can be used in semi-earnest. Also, at least Loyalist has the warenty on their goods, while most e-bay purchases do not.

I'll agree with Salem Bob on this. There's one more thing- a sword has to feel right in your hand. It generally takes me 15-20 min to decide if a sword feels right. Hold it, swing it, toss it, shadow fence, then see if you have rub spots, blisters starting, or hand and finger cramps. If all you're going to do is put it in a scabbard and sling it on your hip, then Ebay is fine. If not, buy it in person, or at least find someone who has an identical piece and try theirs.

Hawkyns

;)

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The problem is, a lot of swords are being sold by folks far away--in many cases overseas.

It's not like you can go down to your local cutler's shop and test out a few.

Fortunately, there are some good internet resources that provide a lot of information on the sword market, including reviews.

Among them:

NetSword

myArmoury.com

Sword Forum International

It's not easy to get to the forums on Sword Forum without registering, but if you want to peek, here they are: Forums. To post, you'll have to register under your real name.

It's the best argument for finding a cutler and working with him. I've gone to the point of mostly buying custom blades anymore. yeah, I know, not an option for many. Depends on how serious you are about your steel and what you're going to do with it. I fight with mine, without armour or mask. That weapon can not fail at a critical time.

The other option is to buy a weapon and strip the hilt off and either modify it or build another. That lets you carve the grip to fit your hand, adjust the pommel weight for best balance, and set the hilt and gurads for best protection. I'm doing a fair amount of my own modifications now. Saves the time of shipping it off, and waiting for the return.

Hawkyns

;)

rod_21.jpg

Wow thanks for all the info!!! I have very delicate wrists so I have to be careful as far ar weight.

I will investigate!!

I will use the sword in my group to fight with during skits... nothing too hard. But always a great skill to know in my field in case the heavy duty fighting comes.

Gabrielle

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

So use away, and if any stitch counter gives you a hard time, tell him to stuff it, or send him my way, and I will give him such a dose of his own medicine that he will flee hollering like the "screamapillar". :)

Ahoy Salem Bob!

Thanks so much for the wonderful information. Although I really bought the sword because it was good quality and "looked right" to my aesthetic tastes, it makes the purchase that much sweeter now to know I picked one that fits my period and reenactment aspirations as well. It's still really heavy with that blunt edge and all, but when I accidentally tipped the scabbard over and tried to catch the sword by the blade as it fell out, I was really glad that the blade sliding down my finger *wasn't* sharp. Now all I have to do is remember that the brass scabbard point can remove kneecaps when I turn around too quickly with it strapped to my waist. . . .one pirate skill at a time, I suppose. Anybody have suggestions for not whacking other people while wearing swords on your belt?

I also have to compliment you on your use of the term "Screamapillar". :ph34r:

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."