Pirate re-enactment demo

michaelsbagley

by "adult " you are not meaning anything x rated or the likes, are you ??

I imagine just some rum drinking and adult language, but i do need to ask...

Yes by adult I mean drinking and adult language, nothing too crazy. ;) I really mainly mentioned that as some kids are very regimented in their sleeptimes etc. and a ship load of drinking pirates is not likely the best environment to a more sensitive child... I think the last time we spent the night and the ship the revelry didn't really start to die off until after 1:00 AM.

Basically as a non-parent, I am just not sure what level of exposure to drinking adults is okay for kids of different ages (some who swear, others not so much)... So I just want parents to be fully informed as to what to expect so they can make the appropriate decisions.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the ballots are in... And the date is SET!

This will go down on the weekend of May 9th and 10th!

Mojito, we'd love to have you and any of the other Sacred Hearts that would be willing to come up! I think I have sent invites to Fayma the last time or two we did the Santa Maria to-dos (or at least I hope I did), but if you and the others would be willing to join us that would be awesome!!!

Perkeo, really hope you can make it back. It would be good to see Efera and Grizz as well!

If half of those interested show, this event is likely to double in size from the last time... and if most or all of those interested show, this is likely to grow to be a pretty huge event. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

by "adult " you are not meaning anything x rated or the likes, are you ??

Yes by adult I mean drinking and adult language, nothing too crazy.

darn.... :rolleyes: ...i was hopin fer the other... heard them pilgrem girls git buck wild when the sun goes down!??!... :rolleyes: ..er...iwait...thats that the other boat??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Being early to mid May... I would suspect the temperature to range in the high 60s or low 70s... Maybe sinking to the 50s at night. So it should be fairly comfortable re-enacting weather, but you may want to pack some warmer clothes and blankets for sleeping. And since you made a point of it, that would be 15 to 20 degrees C, dipping down to 10 to 12 C at night. :blink:

That of course is average... And of course subject to natures bouts of randomness...

Michael_banner.jpg

Oy, Michael...

Be there camping opportunities or is this something where a hotel is needed. Actually, ye said ye stayed on th' ship the whole of one night, aye?

We shall see if I can make it. Everything is so up in the air. But this would make a fabulous Bday present to myself (my Bday being on May 9).

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hey Bo, Dutch and I are planning to possibly drive all night to get there for the event and then drive all night to get home in time for work on Monday... give it yer best shot, would love to meet you.

Oi Mickey hope you don't mind, if we can pull this off, Dutch and I volunteer to sleep all day in "sick bay" :unsure:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hey Bo, Dutch and I are planning to possibly drive all night to get there for the event and then drive all night to get home in time for work on Monday... give it yer best shot, would love to meet you.

Oi Mickey hope you don't mind, if we can pull this off, Dutch and I volunteer to sleep all day in "sick bay" :unsure:

Lady B, there is sleeping on the ship, but that requires a certain fortitude of spirit... As there is no privacy (not a big deal for most, but some people are very private sleepers), and space is limited, so narrow sleeping rolls and/or air mattresses are preferred... But yeah, hotels are not needed as long as you are willing to rough it on the ship.

Sterling, you do know Mission is planning on coming? Are you really sure you and Dutch wanna lay about "sick bay" all day? :unsure:^_^ I'm sure if you leave at a reasonable enough time, you should be able to get some sleep in, as the event is later starting (11:00 AM) and there is pretty much no set up involved (no camp etc.).

Glad to hear so many are going to give this a try! If half the people interested make it, this event will at least double in size from last time!

Michael_banner.jpg

Sterling, you do know Mission is planning on coming?

ACK!!! Thanks fer the heads' up, we'll be bonesawed to pieces...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

If I don't have to be there on campus physically that Friday, I can do this with out much hassle I think. So far I just have my final paper due for one class that day. (has to be turned in by then, no test.) I fnone of my other classes re-schedule I am free to head out as long as my funds hold out, and my new-used car doesn't turn into a lemon! So far it's a sweet ride. Here's hopin!

Bo

Wow....gosh....I do hope ya'll are all able to make it. As far as food arrangements go...we all usually try and pitch in and contribute a little something to the dinner and snacking. In the past (there weren't this many of us) Jenny and I brought bread, cheese, summer sausage, apples, etc. Then for dinner she made a fantastic bean soup (which has meat in it, but she made a special little pot for Misson). If anyone else has any other ideas, please do let me know and I will get together with Jenny to coordinate that.

Also, since the ship is smack in the middle of downtown, there aren't many choices of food within walking distance. There is a subway a few blocks away. Rise &Dine (good prices and food- only open till 3pm), Bostons (mid-prices range), Teds (fantastic burgers mid range prices), and I think there is a Chipotle...all of those are about a 15-20 minute walk away from the ship. There is a grocery store, but it really should be driven to as it is about 1.5 miles (maybe a little more).

Also, I will see if I can get my office to donate parking garage spaces for the weekend. If not donate, maybe a discounted rate. Otherwise there is parking in the police station parking lot across from the ship. I just prefer my parking garage....which is a ten minute walk or so.

Banner.jpg

food ideas are good.... connie can make a bunch of bread before hand.. i'm trying to see if we can have a bbq pit on the grounds for hamburgers and such... and for general cooking... got a small collapsible one...

kate, i think you have been elected to coordinate the food stuff... let us know what we can do to help out...

Then for dinner she made a fantastic bean soup (which has meat in it, but she made a special little pot for Misson). If anyone else has any other ideas, please do let me know and I will get together with Jenny to coordinate that.

Are there modern galley facilities on board? How does one handle the cooking ?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Then for dinner she made a fantastic bean soup (which has meat in it, but she made a special little pot for Misson). If anyone else has any other ideas, please do let me know and I will get together with Jenny to coordinate that.

Are there modern galley facilities on board? How does one handle the cooking ?

There is a ship stove (elevated fire box) on the ship. And we also have access to the fridge in the ticket booth for the ship, but the fridge is usually fairly full of soda (that the ship sells) so fridge space is limited. Kate said something about a charcoal grill in the park, but honestly I can't recall ever seeing one there...

So to answer the question more directly, no there is not modern galley facilities, but primitive cooking facilities are available.

The ship stove/firebox should be able to accommodate two dutch ovens. Jennie (Mark's wife) is the master (mistress) of all things cast iron, her camp cookware collection is HUGE, so no one needs to bring any cookware, just bring your eating bowls/plates/utensils....

I think that should cover cooking... Oh, I will be bringing oatmeal for breakfast Sunday morning, there will likely be other stuff for breakfast too (in case M.A. d'Dogge is able to show up), but oatmeal will likely form the core of Sunday breakfast.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Great thanks!!

Crewe of the Archangel

Nay, I don't mind roughin' it at all. :rolleyes: Would be nice to sleep on a ship for once. Hell of a bday present, aye?

Thank ye for the heads up. :::knocks on wood::: Hope I can make it. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Okay, it seems like Mark is better organized and further sighted than I am... Which is good thing, and why he is in charge and not me.

So we are doing the pirate re-enactment on the May 9th-10th weekend on the Santa Maria, and we are ALSO booked for the Saturday Sept. 19th for "Talk Like a Pirate Day" (one day only for TLAPD, and no sleepover on the ship either for TLAPD.... :rolleyes: ). So mark your calenders, come out for one, or come out for both, we'll be happy to see you any way about it!

And that should conclude the "Home" activities of the Scioto Pirates for this year, although many of us will be seen throughout the continent at many various other events, as individuals and perhaps as a group....

Now back to the more foreseeable future, I also am planning to brew a 5 gallon (19 litre) keg of good ale for the May weekend event (perhaps even based on a period recipe). So if we wind up partly celebrating any B-Days, there should be plenty of libation for the purpose. The cherry wine will be very drinkable by then as well... I doubt there will be any mead available for the May event though.

Another suggestion Jennie had on the food was, if we have enough people interested, and a particular recipe folks are keen on, we could set up a slow cooker/crock pot in the ticket booth as well, so we may have some basic modern cooking facilities in addition to charcoal cooking on the ship stove.

Seems like the plans are coming together wonderfully, and we're still four months out.

Michael_banner.jpg

The ship is moored at a city park which is run by a different group. Officially there is no camping allowed there. Unofficially it has a number of homeless sleeping there nightly.

There will be people sleeping on the ship. There is very little privacy. The main deck is a single open space. There is a single cabin (the only one in the fleet). The hold has a small amount of open space but most of it is taken up by cement blocks that act as ballast.

The ship does have a few modern amenities. There are some power outlets for people who have air mattresses and need to plug in a pump. There are also some lights (note - no candles or oil lamps for fire safety).

The ship regularly hosts scout sleepovers.

Mark

Oy, Michael...

Be there camping opportunities or is this something where a hotel is needed. Actually, ye said ye stayed on th' ship the whole of one night, aye?

We shall see if I can make it. Everything is so up in the air. But this would make a fabulous Bday present to myself (my Bday being on May 9).

~Lady B