Pirate re-enactment demo

michaelsbagley

You're correct on both accounts Mission!

I have been more or less banking on a 20% to 40% drop in attendance due to random bouts of real life, but all the while hoping to beat those odds and luck into a situation where everyone that plans to come making it. :unsure:

There is also the option for those not feeling up to roughing it on the ship, to stay at our apartment (within reason). Or for those with cat allergies, and a strong preference for modern convenience, I think hotels/motels can be got for around the $60 within a 15 to 20 minute drive to the ship, perhaps even less in the current economic climate. Speak up if you are leaning towards modern sleeping arrangements so we can do what we can on our end to help facilitate that.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cot is 6 foot in length, by 2 foot in width and sits no more than 3 feet high off the ground. wood and canvas, collapsible. Generally the length and width of a person. If quarters are too cramped, ehhh, I'll sleep on th' deck I suppose.

Oh, I'm guessing the Santa Maria is oddball like the Nina. Hopefully a little bigger. Hopefully.

Is sleeping all on the main deck? Or can we sleep in the below decks?

Yes, I'm askin' a LOT of questions. :) Be ready for th' bombardment, Michael! :::Evil grinz:::

And yes, I will check with Perkeo to see if he is attending and with friends.

Awww... mission.. ye not gonna cozy up to th' lot of us? B) ::::sniffles:::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The cot is 6 foot in length, by 2 foot in width and sits no more than 3 feet high off the ground. wood and canvas, collapsible. Generally the length and width of a person. If quarters are too cramped, ehhh, I'll sleep on th' deck I suppose.

Oh, I'm guessing the Santa Maria is oddball like the Nina. Hopefully a little bigger. Hopefully.

The Santa Maria is very similar to the Nina, but a little bigger.

Is sleeping all on the main deck? Or can we sleep in the below decks?

You can sleep anywhere you like, most slept on the open decks last time. Below decks is fairly cramped, I'm guessing you could sleep there too, but if it gets unseasonably warm, it could get really stuffy down there really quick, but if the weather stays seasonably moderate, it may be comfy (but VERY dark) down there.

Yes, I'm askin' a LOT of questions. :) Be ready for th' bombardment, Michael! :::Evil grinz:::

And yes, I will check with Perkeo to see if he is attending and with friends.

Awww... mission.. ye not gonna cozy up to th' lot of us? B) ::::sniffles:::

~Lady B

Not so many questions, I think there was only one or two in there...

I'll betcha I can answer the questions faster than you can ask them... Watch...

Yes...

No...

The size of Walt's backside....

And yes, Germans do float better.

That answer all the questions? :lol: Ignore the strange man on the laptop, he's gone slap happy... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Awww... mission.. ye not gonna cozy up to th' lot of us? :unsure: ::::sniffles:::

I am a high-maintenance prig. (My sister told me so.) I am averse to group sleepovers and I usually require an electric fan in the sleeping quarters.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

LOL... Not one t' rough it, huh? Understandable though.

LMAO! Germans float? :::ponders that one and keeps mouth shut while attempting to look innocent::: Let's NOT test that one out. :lol:

Spooner? :lol: Dogge... I thought ye were a pointer. :blink:;)

~Lady B

Oh my word, roll up yer coat and sleep on the deck, if tis to be cold at night bring a cloak...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

LOL... Not one t' rough it, huh? Understandable though.

Actually, I spent about 10 years or so roughing it, camping approximately once every month or two, courtesy of the Boy Scouts, the Explorers and later my own curiosity. This included several multi-week trips where everything either had to be on your back or in a canoe (depending on the trip). Suffice it to say, I have shloads of camping experience in all sorts of conditions (including several ground tent snow encampments - which are not as bad as you are probably thinking. (There's a method to it which I will gladly explain to anyone interested via pm. Plus the BSA gives you get a neato-keen patch called a "Polar Bear" for your trouble. Or at least they used to.))

At age 21 or 22 I decided that I had learned all I needed to know from such experiences and vowed to camp never again, unless it was the key to solving a national crisis, defeating a powerful super-villain or something similarly important. Why continue doing something that results in a sore neck or back when you've milked it for most of its educational interest or challenge?

So I am now a rest curmudgeon who likes minimal distraction and lots of white noise when I take to my bed. Right before I drop off into restful slumber, I sit and think of stupid things I can vow to do and not do which will allow me to make grand pronouncements similar to this one. (See? High maintenance.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Plus I've yet to see an event where everyone who says they're going to attend actually does. Situations change, work schedules get in the way and so forth. So you're probably pretty safe. (Still, I understand that it never hurts to put the info out there. :( )

It appears (much to my surprise) that I am going to be the first to back out. It's all explained here. No one is more astonished by this turn of events than me, to be quite honest.

Sorry about that!

Mission_banner5.JPG

Awww.. ye will be missed. Was lookin' forward t' meetin' ye, Mission. Another event perhaps.

~Lady B

I've talked to you about this over the phone Mission, and you know my mind on the matter.... You will be sorely missed, but as much as we want you here with us, you'd be a fool not to jump on that other opportunity! :D

On the bright side, there are a few potential "suprise" guests that MIGHT make it to help us console ourselves. :D

Michael_banner.jpg

I've talked to you about this over the phone Mission, and you know my mind on the matter.... You will be sorely missed, but as much as we want you here with us, you'd be a fool not to jump on that other opportunity! :D

On the bright side, there are a few potential "suprise" guests that MIGHT make it to help us console ourselves. :D

Oddly, our phone discussion created some doubts in my mind which has sort of dampened my adventurousness. Plus I spoke with the woman in the Philippines about the possibility of future tours and that looks highly likely. Plus plus after talking with my dad about it this morning, it turns out that he wants to go (he's a WWII history nut) but he can't make it during that time period. Added together, it means I am temporarily shelving the Philippines project. (As quickly as I decided to do it, I have undecided to do it.)

What hotel do you recommend this time Michael? I felt like I was too far away last time. I'll probably come down Friday night so we can dress Becky. (You can't make an effective Surgeon's Journal out of a couple hours.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well as for hotels... If economy is the order of the day, the place you stayed last time was the closest and cheapest... I will endeavor to look up some closer hotels this evening (probably with wife's help as she knows the city better), but I am certain that the price will raise in direct correlation to the proximity of the ship. So I think the question here is, how much are you willing to pay? PM me with the answer if you do not care to broadcast personal finance stuff.

I'm happy you're going to make it! Mark G will be thrilled as well, his usually almost unreadable face looked almost disapointed when we talked to him yesterday and mentioned that you wouldn't be coming. Linda (the director of the ship) was also saddenned by the loss, so this sudden change will come as very good news to many.

Speaking of the ship, this coming weekend she will be undergoing the up-rigging for the season, I have decided to loan my massive manliness (insert laughs and jokes here) to the task, mostly so I can learn about rigging and ship set up from a practical doing it kind of way.

As for Friday, you would be most welcome to come and hang out, there will be a few others in town, and likely staying with us, so it will be fun! I'm sure Becky will enjoy being the centre of attention as we gussy her up for the occassion. :D

Michael_banner.jpg

Well as for hotels... If economy is the order of the day, the place you stayed last time was the closest and cheapest... I will endeavor to look up some closer hotels this evening (probably with wife's help as she knows the city better), but I am certain that the price will raise in direct correlation to the proximity of the ship. So I think the question here is, how much are you willing to pay?

The price isn't my primary concern. I'd like to find somewhere midway between your place and the ship. Unless that's a bad neighborhood or something.

Mission_banner5.JPG

The price isn't my primary concern. I'd like to find somewhere midway between your place and the ship. Unless that's a bad neighborhood or something.

Actually mid-way between our place and the ship is kind of not the best neighbourhood... In fact most of the areas betwen us and the ship (as the crow flys) are not good areas, or industrial areas. I'll keep that route and a reasonable neighborhood in mind while I search for places for you.

Thanks for the suggestion Sterling! Seperate thread created and impoprtant details are there. I can add or alter as need be.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thank ye Mickey, much obliged...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Thank ye Mickey, much obliged...

Please just let me know if I have missed anything or if any additional details are needed... It's very easy to lose sight of the event from an outsider's point of view being so immersed in the arrangements. I'm trying to include all the info I would want to know about an event before participating, but my priorities are not the same as other re-enactors, as there will be re-enactors of a few different styles present... Which is really good for the event as a whole (IMO).

Michael_banner.jpg

===

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ooh, ooh (raising hand)! Can I do a demo on Columbus as a genocidal murderer on a par with Hitler? Can I? Can I? Huh?

This is precisely why Hurricane will NOT be attending this event... While true, not necessarily the story telling that would be good for the event....Sigh...sometimes keeping him under control is on par with controlling Animal.

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Ooh, ooh (raising hand)! Can I do a demo on Columbus as a genocidal murderer on a par with Hitler? Can I? Can I? Huh?

This is precisely why Hurricane will NOT be attending this event....

Actually, while the tour does tend to try to gloss over the less flattering elements of Columbus' actions (which seem to be many), they are also committed to NOT distributing false historic information and will actually candidly answer any questions about Columbus and his deeds.. Although because there are usually children on the tours, the answers may be toned down to a PG or even (F) level depending on the audience for the particular tour.

Michael_banner.jpg

Lady ye do have yer hands full!!! My hat is off to ye!!

And Mickey will be honored to keep an eye on things fer ye... happy to help any way that I can

Crewe of the Archangel

Is anyone else besides Mission interested in hotels? I know some folks are crashing with us on Friday night...the more the merrier. We have a large sofa, and a small sofa and we're discussing moving the dining room table out to our storage space, along with our coffee tables.

Hotels in and around Canal Winchester

In case, there are nearby hotels. If you have any questions, please ask. I grew up around here, so I am very familiar with this area. The link is just hotels in and around Canal Winchester (which is where we live). Pretty much if you start heading towards the ship, you're going towards downtown and there are alot of not very nice areas that I totally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my friends in. Maybe that is my paranoia talking.

Mission, I reccomend one of the first three. The first one being closest to us, around alot of eateries (including Village Wines that has a huge vino selection and a killer bistro salad to boot)...AND....it's across the street from my parents place. :)

I'll look for a good map of the area for you too...

Banner.jpg

Cool! Thanks! I booked the Best Western in Canal Winchester since it's the closest to your place.

Mission_banner5.JPG