The Sealkie’s Hide

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silas, dear,

dare i post what i looked like on that boating trip we took together?

and darling, if the other pirates SEE how you steer the vessel, that is THE reason you aint a captain yet...{incase you have no inkling as to why you are not captain yet!!

you contortionist you! you look rather ready to fly a different kind of ship! LOL! :D

always your willing accomplice.........

your beloved (o) (o)

A trebuchet? Now we really must all run around yelling "TREBUCHET!" every time it is fired.

(Now, that is obscure. Sorry.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Now back to your regularly scheduled menu.

Oops. Somehow I posted that in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Trebuchet!!

Hey, that's from Timeline! Not the all time greatest flick in the world, but it was decent.

It causes me to yell that out when I catch mideival combat machines on the History channel. :D

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

:D

Not much makes me actually laugh out loud, but that's pretty funny. "It's raining food! AIEEEE! Call the National Guard! Keep your children indoors!"

TREBUCHET!

(It was a bad movie and I don't recommend anyone run out and see it or anything. Read the book instead, which is far better. Still, that stuck with me because I thought it was sort of funny...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Awwww lass ...thanks so much. We pretty much have it covered. Anything you want to frrd the pyrates will be more than welcome. I am sure they would even eat hardtack ...if for no other reason than to try it. lol

That goes for anyone. If you feel like baking feel free to drop anything off ...all re-enactors welcomed. :D

Tobacco

If you have any that you wish to share I have a pipe box and am working on pipes. However the tobacco drawer is empty (never mind the fact that I will be storing the pipe bowls there). I know nothing about tobacco. I know I like the sweet smelling stuff but I don't smoke it.

If someone wants to bring some for us let us know so that we don't end up with far more than we will use.

Anyone who plans on using my pipes & the provided tobacco bring coin, the tobacco needs to be paid for.

Tobacco

If you have any that you wish to share I have a pipe box and am working on pipes. However the tobacco drawer is empty (never mind the fact that I will be storing the pipe bowls there). I know nothing about tobacco. I know I like the sweet smelling stuff but I don't smoke it.

I bought a new pouch of Captain Black's Gold for the trip.... And may buy a second pouch of another type of pipe weed for variety... As I am not a regular smoker, I doubt I would ever finish either pouch before they went stale, so I am more than open to sharing...

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Silkie!!!

O I love ya!!!

I want to do what ever I can next year to help ya keep it growing, The one meal I did make it for was fantastic... they should all be like that, I felt like a queen, being served and all... Wish I'd had more chances to get over there for a meal.

000000000 BIG HUGS!!!

.. next year I hope to get everyone in the pub for a sing on the same night, its so wonderful to pass the songs around the room... was so lovely hearing you sing again!

XXXXX - kisses to go with those hugs.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I must say it was a real joy seeing you again. You are such a class act.

I know that Diosa and I want to move our operations out beachside so we can contribute to the cooking in the 'extraordinary' ordinary of yours -- Diosa's Onion Soup is fab and I think she can feed an army with it.

And yes, I am a pot stirrer... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Silkie,

How do you feel about doing one evening menu with food and recipe's that would have been native to the islands at the time. I'll do my research and and put together some recipes, anyone else please chime in we could make it a period pot-luck. We'll not only get a great taste for the islands but for the time period. It could turn out to be a really exotic meal. i was reading some of the recipes in No Quarter Given and some of them sounded pretty appetizing, if not at the very least interesting. (e.i. paw-paw - being from the south i'd heard of it but had never actually tried it andm never realized what it was - boiled green papaya - sounds interesting.) brought to you from the test kitchens of the careening camp....

Nell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

The onion soup I make is a French recipe from the early 1600's, so it's in period.

I plan on doing that as one meal next year... I will use veggie stock so any vegetarians can still enjoy the soup (this year it was made with chicken stock).... I am also going through some of my other recipes to work on some other meal options... I actually have a cookbook filled with recipes from the 1500s and 1600s...... I'll get back to you on some of the others.

As for the islands. I happen to have a yard filled with banana and coconut trees as well as sugar cane. You may have seen the bunches of bananas sitting around this year... I can bring fresh coconut branches that are ready to be cracked as well as bananas, cane and oranges to be used.... Cooking with coconut milk is yummy...I could even possibly mix up a few tamale type items with crushed corn and steam them in the banana leaves.... now you have me thinking......

Diosa

Silkie,

How do you feel about doing one evening menu with food and recipe's that would have been native to the islands at the time. I'll do my research and and put together some recipes, anyone else please chime in we could make it a period pot-luck. We'll not only get a great taste for the islands but for the time period. It could turn out to be a really exotic meal. i was reading some of the recipes in No Quarter Given and some of them sounded pretty appetizing, if not at the very least interesting. (e.i. paw-paw - being from the south i'd heard of it but had never actually tried it andm never realized what it was - boiled green papaya - sounds interesting.) brought to you from the test kitchens of the careening camp....

Nell

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

My neighbor who watched the cats while I was away said it looked like i lost a few pounds..she's kind, I gained 3.... if we keep up this talk looks like i'll gain 5 next year... I'm sure it will be worth every bite!

Sounds like we're on our way to evening FEASTS! if we can get the buccaneers roasting meat, and do some PC side dishes, and take turns serving each other we'll eat like kings all weekend, sign me up for a couple of evening meals, i'll make at least 2 dishes Silkie... maybe we should consider building some sort of PC brick oven for baking...anyone?

regarding the vegetarians ... we have a few in our crew as well, I did my best to accommodate them by making a small meatless batch- its not too tough to put an extra pot on.

I'm going to talk to the crew about getting that breakfast vendor back .... we're all far to tired (from 4 am nights ) and everyone seems pressed for time in the morning, far too many people, myself included... wandering about in a stooper begging for coffee.... I miss the pancake guy from 2 years ago. He was really reasonably priced too.

We're camping out at the beach as well this year, I have a feeling we'll need the room for vendors. I'm thinking we should reserve our crew cooking for out in the careening camp at the Hide. I heard the food vendor wasn't too pleased with the competition, they could see we were cooking, even though it was for charity or for ourselves, I'm sure he was concerned about the loss of business, its hard to compete with practically free food. We need to keep our vendors happy too.

I'm really excited about how this is bringing everyone together, thanks Silkie, and Diosa, it was so wonderful the one night I ate there, did someone say Lily made the minestrone, or was that your recipe... either way the meal was elegant and it felt like family, we may need more tables next year.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce