Movie Review

Well since we were all discussing the movie Perfume. I thought I would go ahead and create a Movie Review thread for any one who has seen a movie or has questions about a movie before they see it.

Last night Dorian and I watched the Libertine for the first time. We both agreed that we are going to have to watch it again. I am still, once again, undecided if I liked the movie yet or not. I will give you my thoughts once we watch it again.

As for Perfume, I must say I did like the movie. It was very dark and morbid, yet was definitley a great Psychological Thriller. The costuming was fabulous as was the scenery. And the acting was very good as well. Once again, Alan Rickman never disappoints his audiance. And Ben Whishaw was phenomenal in his portrayl as Jean-Baptiste Grenouille.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

lol.i watched the libertine for the first time 2 nights ago! i dont think i liked it,but i liked the costumes alot,and that was the guy who played lord beckett right? i like him,dont know why.lol

i saw stardust and was disappointed.the watered down british accent used by everyone in europe and by people not from europe.and gweneth paltrow was as unintresting as ever.my favorite part was when tristan grew long hair and strapped on a sword.lol

• 1 month later...

So has any one seen any movies they would like to share?

I am looking for a good vampire movie. Any suggestions?

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

"Elizabeth - The Golden Age" is terrific.

Wonderful sea battles and a little kick-in-the-pants to scruffy heros of the Period.

Not time for a full on review just now (will come back later ) but see it this weekend if you can :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Shouldn't this thread really be in Beyond?

All my movie reviews are over at Netflix under username MarkCK. The best way to find me is to look up F-Troop, Season 2 if you're a member. I am one of two reviewers. :lol:

Incidentally, there is no rhyme or reason to the DVDs I decide to review. :D

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

So has any one seen any movies they would like to share?

I am looking for a good vampire movie. Any suggestions?

The two DVDs in the "Underworld" series are great vampire movies. Bloody, but good. It's an interesting story about a centuries-long fued between Bloods (vampires) and Lycan (werewolves).

As for Libertine...I have it, and like it, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it. It gets painful toward the end.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

lol.i watched the libertine for the first time 2 nights ago! i dont think i liked it,but i liked the costumes alot,and that was the guy who played lord beckett right? i like him,dont know why.lol

i saw stardust and was disappointed.the watered down british accent used by everyone in europe and by people not from europe.and gweneth paltrow was as unintresting as ever.my favorite part was when tristan grew long hair and strapped on a sword.lol

Just for the sake of accuracy...

Gwenth Paltrow isn't in Stardust, so of course her role was dissappointing.

Also the setting of the story is England, slightly south of London, written by an englishman, so it makes sense that the characters would be speaking with an English accent, they do in the book. It comes across through the turn and choice of words.

Ooh, now I really can't wait to see Elizabeth The Golden Age. Shamefully I only just recently saw the first movie based on Queen Elizabeth. And I enjoyed it very much. And every time I see the previews for the second movie I get excited. I can't wait to see the battle scenes.

Oh and thank you Ransom. I have seen Underworld 1 &2. I may have to rent them again. I really did enjoy both movies alot. The concept was very interesting.

Shouldn't this thread really be in Beyond?

I am not sure, but if it does belong over there who can I ask to move this thread over? Can any one please tell me?

Thanks.

YES, Elizabeth was super! Costumes, wigs, her hats/headpieces...!

And, Clive Owen.....weeeel, I'd follow him to the New World, long as he kept dressing like that! :(

Rented Wuthering Heights this week. It's an old movie, with Ralph Fiennes and Juliet Binoche, but wow, is it great. I saw a short bit of this back in June while staying the night with Flintlock Jack and Aurore, because she wanted to show me the killer leather (? we still aren't sure) long coat Heathcliff makes his entrance in. OMG !!! We were both lusting after that coat, and Aurore swears she's going to try and make one.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

We watched Curse of the Golden Flower last night. I had been wanting to see it due to the martial arts that were raved about in the movie. I must honestly say, I was very disappointed. The movie had a lot of wholes in it that you had to kind of figure out for yourself. And it was very slow and drawn out as well. I was disappointed too in the lack of martial arts that was not used with in the movie. The costuming, decor and setting though were absolutely wonderful.

I can only describe the movie as a true Shakespearian Tragedy Asian Style.

And I must admit that I like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon much better than The Curse of the Golden Flower.

I got "Perfume" for four bucks at China-Mart. Really strange and I kinda like it. Not one to repeat too many times, but definitely worth watching.

Apocolypto... This one is the best movie I have seen in YEARS! If you understand what the message is, it makes it even better! Looking at the paralells to mdern social practices makes this an eerie and prophetics piece! I really like the bad-guys in this one! BRUTAL!

From Hell... another knockout performance for Depp. I really enjoyed this one too. I can see why the British Royal Family hated his one so much!

Bo

Hell is in our DVD collection, bought at WallMart for about $6.00. Very good. And yes, I can understand why the Royals might have been a tad upset over the plot of this one. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I got "Perfume" for four bucks at China-Mart

Capt. Bo, you have me rolling on the floor. You are so correct you don't even know it. I have the misfortune of being a product vendor that sells to the 'Corporate Monster' form Arkansas , and I can tell you horror stories from the corporate inside, the factories that make the merchandise, the retailers that were put out of business, and meself. Etyc, and so forth.

Sorry for getting off-topic, people, but this subject stirs some real emotions for me. I'll stop here.

For the benefit of (..nope, not Mr. Kite...as in the beatles song) the board, I will say theat last year I bought POTC II for $19 at Walmart, which did not include a CD of out-takes or behind-the-scenes docu, but it did include a cheesy sea shanties CD. I could have spent $14 for just the movie DVD alone. Most other stores sell the movie plus the DVD with a DVD of the said mentioned for around $24 . Basically Wamart forces companies to sell what Walmart wants to sell for. Another example is a 12-pack cans of Coca-Cola, which WM sells for $2 while the local grocery sells for $5. Walmart basically says s to the merchandiser "sell it for our price or go away".

SHIP2-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Matusalem... yes I do know! :rolleyes:

I live in the country near Warsaw, Missouri, a tourist town that is right between Truman Lake, and Lake of the Ozarks.(Truman Dam separates the two) China-Mart had a small store here for years, then a couple years back, the city annexed a lot of land north of the city limits and the "monster" built a slightly larger store that had the grocery line in it. The only place in town to get stuff now is... yup, China-Mart! All the little stores are folded up and history. (Gotta be a movie in ths somewhere!)

Anyhow, I read that the original "Black Swan" pyrate movie is due out for re-release soon, and I hope I can find a copy!

Anyone remember "Revolution" with Pacino and Natashia Kinsky from the early eighties? I have an old copy. One fine movie for costume and story. It is a really dark and bleak= truthful portrayal of life during the American Rev-War. Donald Sutherland is in it too, and Graham Greene has a short part. Check it out if you see it around!

Bo

Off topic.....

When Wally-World moved into town.....

Put a local shoe company outta busisness.... cool.... Wally-World did sorta good at coustomer service..... but the shoe company didn't ...... they (the shoe company ) were the only players in town......so they could be snotty......(well untill Wally World kicked them outta business)

Tough snot.....

If the small local business can' t provide good service,,, and Wally-Wourld can do better....... heck.....

I'll buy "small... local".... but not if the "Big" Giant can provide better service.....

Like I typed..... if you can't do it..... tough snot........

Sure Wally-World can buy by th' truck load.... If a small local busines can provide better service I'll go there.....but if they can't....... well heck.... Wally Wourld here I come......

Sorry.... but whine as much as you want..... whoever can provide a fair price, and good service..... wins.......

I'm with Patrick. It always puzzles me why people argue for higher prices and (usually) less variety and selection. (I have some good friends that do this all the time.)

There is a way to succeed in retail, but it's not by competing against generic store rivals. That's just setting yourself up for defeat. You need to have niche variety that people want which large stores don't supply, a more appealing environment (which isn't that hard to create, really) and/or better service. I'll bet there are examples in this in everyone's local community. The world changes and if a store owner doesn't want to change with it...well, stores go in and out of business every day. Blaming Wal~Mart and it's compatriots is trying to hold the water back by putting your finger in one of the ever-increasing holes in the dam. Commerce is not sentimental.

As for DVDs, I buy all of mine (when I bother to buy them at all - most of the time I just get them from Netflix or the local library) from the "Used and New" section of good ol' Amazon. I should have a standing account there, I'm such a regular customer. POTCII: Dead Man's Mess - $3.89 from the lowest seller. (No case, but I have jewel cases for just such an emergency.) Who needs stores for DVDs, CDs or books?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

We finally watched Apocalypto. It was very well done. I found a few diiscrepancies, but overall, they did a very good job re-creating the Mayan Culture. I can honestly say this because in college I did study Pre-Columbian/MesoAmerican Anthropology.

I was not disappointed at all. The movie continued at a fast pace thru out. If you can handle gruesome sacrifices then I highly recommend seeing it. Personally I did not think it was all that gruesome.

I would give this movie

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well I finally got to rent Kingdom of Heaven and King Arthur.

We just started watching the Kingdom of Heaven last night.

I'll let cha all know what I think of them both. I know I am behind the times of it, but hey, it's never too late.

• 3 weeks later...

BriarRose, I don't know which version of Kingdom you have, but I just read an interview with Ridley Scott, who said that movie was butchered by the studio from it's original length, so he felt the story got chopped up so badly that's why it tanked at the theaters. The studio is supposed to release Scotts original intended cut, which even the critics say makes it a much better movie. I have the original released version and still like the movie, so will be very interested to watch the Directer's Cut when it comes out.

Just watched Amazing Grace, with Ioan Griffuth, and it was very good. I recommend it.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

BriarRose, I don't know which version of Kingdom you have, but I just read an interview with Ridley Scott, who said that movie was butchered by the studio from it's original length, so he felt the story got chopped up so badly that's why it tanked at the theaters. The studio is supposed to release Scotts original intended cut, which even the critics say makes it a much better movie. I have the original released version and still like the movie, so will be very interested to watch the Directer's Cut when it comes out.

Just watched Amazing Grace, with Ioan Griffuth, and it was very good. I recommend it.

Thanks Ransom, I will have to keep an eye out then for the directors cut.

Ooh, and Now I am definitely gonna have to go and rent Amazing Grace. I have been wanting to see it.