Now for the Mantua...

But I did promise someone that I would post the makings of a mantua using Sarah's new fabric, especially since Lily has the stays under control... I just need to get back on my feet first...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I just want to thank everyone for their advice and contribu... contra... Their HELP!!

And just an FYI:

My new mantua looks simply awsome... I just need to have someone french braid my hair???

On my back that is!!! :rolleyes:

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I just want to thank everyone for their advice and contribu... contra... Their HELP!!

And just an FYI:

My new mantua looks simply awsome... I just need to have someone french braid my hair???

On my back that is!!! :rolleyes:

Sign me up sir :rolleyes:

And just an FYI:

On my back that is!!! :lol:

Sign me up sir ;)

Isn't that just sooo wrong!!!

We're talking dreadlocks like on predator here!!

Blaaah!! B)

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Apologies on the diversion. Thought I had posted a post to get this back on track. Hmm... wonder where it went. Oh, well.

Well, now we are rather off track. :)

So.. umm... the back of a mantua... it's kinda the same concept as the Robe a la Anglaise?

And the overskirt... when it's pulled back to rest upon the bum so to speak... is it tied? or hooked? or buttoned? or is there other ways to hold it up there in back?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Apologies on the diversion. Thought I had posted a post to get this back on track. Hmm... wonder where it went. Oh, well.

Well, now we are rather off track. :)

So.. umm... the back of a mantua... it's kinda the same concept as the Robe a la Anglaise?

And the overskirt... when it's pulled back to rest upon the bum so to speak... is it tied? or hooked? or buttoned? or is there other ways to hold it up there in back?

~Lady B

The few I looked at have different fastenings... I cant figure out exactly how the Janet Arnold one is done though. It just looks magically arranged. Has anyone seen it up close?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Stynky not to worry, nothing I post is ever of importance, so nothing important has gone missing... and if any one has ever bothered to follow any of my posts, eventually most of the info falls under the delete button any way.... too many pictures w/o ...ahem...consent shall we say... can not stay posted here for long periods of time... so folks need to see them and snag quick... before places come and start demanding we take them down any way... seen it happen on too many other boards... so in and out quickly...kind of like a pirate.

Come now Captain Sterling, nothing important gone missing, false modesty doesn't become you.

As for consent, see and snag - though I'm more than a little familiar with the concept - I would rather get the request to remove or cease and desist than to just have it go away. Plus in a past life I worked in a law office and have some experience with “fair use” and “copyright” issues as they relate to images.

edit will pm you Stynky

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

In all honesty, Stynky, Kate did a magnificent job on her Waugh mantua... she should post her blog here as well...

Crewe of the Archangel

In all honesty, Stynky, Kate did a magnificent job on her Waugh mantua... she should post her blog here as well...

Link to Kate Souris' blog - However, this blog is on a Living History Worldwide page, (kind of like mySpace or Facebook for re-enactors only), and for some reason an account needs to be set up in order to view member pages or blogs through this network. Wihtout going too far off topic, this Living History Worldwide thing is particularly awesome for those who do multiple periods or would like to add non-pirate re-enacting to your roster... But if piracy is all you are interested in, the Pub, the Tavern and the Pirate Brethren board are still the best places to be... and I can't say I've really found any pirate re-enctors on LHW that aren't already on the Pub, Tavern or Brethren board(s).

Michael_banner.jpg

The few I looked at have different fastenings... I cant figure out exactly how the Janet Arnold one is done though. It just looks magically arranged. Has anyone seen it up close?

Pinned, hooks and eyes, stitched... a number of ways it could have been done

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 months later...

I'm having some pains with my mantua... The shoulder piece is really giving me trouble because it doesn't seem to flow into the turn back in the front. I don't know if that description is clear. But it almost tries to curve around to make a collar.

I've tried to reposition everything several times but it's still fighting me.

help?

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

ta-da! Okay, it's not so great, and the back is low enough that you can see my stays out the back (but everything is red so it blends for now. I think the stays are too high anyway, and after dealing with the off the shoulder straps all day under the on the shoulder gown... I'll be back in the "stays" thread. lol....

100_2072.jpg

Thanks Lily, it nearly killed me, and it still doesn't quite fit right... But thanks to the beautiful actress it got finished at all, with her help I may have used it for dog bedding. lol

Aye. I did a nice little barter with Cheeky. I did her fancy stays and she made me a mourning mantua. I got the better end of the deal on that one. :rolleyes: I suppose someday I will venture into the mantua territory, but I'm holding off for as long as possible.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Hehe and I thought stays were difficult. Until I tried a mantua. Yikes, yeah I need someone like Cheeky just to stand over my shoulder while I make one and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I do love the look though. Nothing shouts early 1700s to me like a mantua over stays. To me it's what really sets you apart from the "ren faire" corset look. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all.) It really is a different look and "sets" you smack in the time period. Ahhhh, I really do like the clothes from this period...

Lady Brower... the mantua is gorgeous. :) At least yo'r mantua is unique and ye made it.

Any sort of gown is a pain in th' arse and fingers... but once finished... becomes out pride and joy cause we made it!!

Naw... Roberts... ye be right. Ren Faire bodices are not the same as proper period Stays. :rolleyes: Especially for the era of piracy. Nothing says dedicated than a good outfit.

So... now m' question to all ye who be makin' or have made th' mantuas.... what be yo'r persona? Are ye a merchants wife/daughter? Harlot? or somethin' else?... like Cheeky has the two personas (God bless her for such fabulous characters) and each a different dress style even down to the make-up. Ye have the Mantua... now what?

Just curious.

~Lady B

Jack, stays are a BREEZE compared to this monstrocity. The mantua was way more time consuming too, I think it took me five hours just to hem the bottom! I too love the clothes from this period. It's become a bit of an obsession for me.

This sounds like a new topic, but my persona is still in the works... I am a pirate's wife (no way around that) and if it's anything like my real life, sometimes we have money and some times we don't! I'm hoping to bring that to my clothes, have some nice stuff mixed with some old pieces. I'm not sure. I'm trying to stick as close to reality as possible because that is the easiest. That said, personality wise, I appear quite a nice, proper, docile lady, but really I am the bitch of the crew; outspoken and a pain in the ass ready to beat the hell out of the men with my wooden spoon for goofing off. It's one of the reasons I've chosen red for my clothes, it's like saying, "No Quarter" =P Someone at New London actually comment on my personality and my clothes- I look so sweet and puritan with my little cap and my modest stays (There were a number of rennie pirates with boobs everywhere) but once they got to know me they realized how deciving the clothes were. I liked that, and I am going in that direction.

Oooooo... nice. :lol: Amazing what the outfit brings out. A deceptive Gentlewoman. Ooooo...

~Lady B

Ta-da! Okay, it's not so great, and the back is low enough that you can see my stays out the back (but everything is red so it blends for now. I think the stays are too high anyway, and after dealing with the off the shoulder straps all day under the on the shoulder gown... I'll be back in the "stays" thread. lol....

Oh my dear...YOU should be very proud of yourself! They look WONDERFUL.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"