The Black Pearl...does anyone know...

dasNdanger

Got a question...and since I'm new here, I don't know if this has been touched on before...so forgive me if it has...

Is anyone familiar with the REAL Black Pearl?? She's a brigantine that sails out of Connecticut... {although I'm not sure what she's doing now as her web site is not accessible at present...}

Anyway - the Pearl was owned by Barclay H. Warburton III, founder of ASTA, the American Sail Training Association. Here's a brief quote from the ASTA site:

http://tallships.sailtraining.org/

"The American Sail Training Association (ASTA) was founded in 1973 by the late Barclay Warburton, owner of the brigantine Black Pearl, as an affiliate of the Sail Training Association -- now the International Sail Training Association (ISTA) -- to coordinate and conduct sail training activities in American waters. Initially ASTA worked to coordinate races and gatherings of sail training ships around the United Sates."

My question is this: Does anyone know whether or not the makers of POTC knew of the real Pearl and her connection to ASTA, and whether they used her name on purpose...perhaps as a tribute to sailing ships in general??

das

Well, I don't know th' answers t' your questions, but I've been aboard that fine vessel. She's actually a hermaphrodite brig, not a brigantine. I've seen her frequently in the Great Salt Pond in Block Island. Of interesting note, there's also a bar in Newport, RI called the Black Pearl. Inside, it looks much like a ship. The aforementioned boat used to be tied up next to the pub, as they were built by the same man.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

There is also an Asian restaraunt up in...I want to say Woodinville, WA with the Black Pearl moniker. I keep meaning to go there...and to the Lucky Penny restaraunt here in San Francisco. *snicker*

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

You might direct your question to Iron Bess, as she is our resident Disney expert. As a matter of fact, the writers work just down the hall from her. You might leave her a message, since she hasn't been here much of late and might miss your question.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com