Non-Pyrate Projects

Patrick Hand

In Capt. Twill, Gentleman of Fortune posted that he was getting kinda burned out with Pyracy... I posted that in Winter, I kinda find something else to do...... (that way I don't burn out...)

So I made my version of a Browncoat uniform....Cotton Kaki pants (based off a pattern for a Yankey Civil War uniform) and a short brown wool jacket (based off of a Confederate uniform jacket) and suspenders (made outta black webbing) ... I still have to make a holster, and then it's all done I have a pair of tall boots (BUT NOT bucket boots...) So all that is left are the minor details.... maybe I should post a picture of it........

........still thinking of making a Reaver.... not sure where I'd wear it... but it would be fun to make....

In one post, (I think it was Lady Alex)... posted a link to a Southern California Ball based on the movie Labyrinth....

http://www.labyrinthmasquerade.com/

Looks like a lot of fun, The idea of making a goblin kinda stuck inside my head.... So I started working on the head tonight.... It's just too bad that at 6'3", I'm a bit too tall to be a goblin........

goblin-01.jpg

I just started, so it's the 1/2" foam shell/core.... Cool, I could maching sew it together, and the thread didn't tear through the foam..... and I started to cover the outside with a kinda paper-mache meathod; using cloth and liquid latex for the skin (So it's strong, but flexable).... Once I get it covered, I can do some modifications for details, and then add a textured outter layer (corn meal and latex with acrylic paint makes a nice icky skin....)... I'll add sculpy teath (painted with acrylic gloss medium so they have a tooth like shine..... then I can start on the body and clothing.......

I'll post more pictures of it as I get more of it done....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a lot of fun, The idea of making a goblin kinda stuck inside my head.... So I started working on the head tonight.... It's just too bad that at 6'3", I'm a bit too tall to be a goblin........

Patrick sir...you soo have to try puttin' together a Reaver costume sometime. Seeing your other work, I'd bet you would do a great job. I put a getup together last year of one of Kaylee's costumes...one of the best things I've ever done (comfort-wise and costume wise).

Anywho, back to the goblin costume. Didja ever think "hey, I might be able to pass as a goblin that Jareth had on a rack for a while"?

That might work. :lol:

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

you soo have to try puttin' together a Reaver costume sometime

A reaver is mostly the make-up.... false pointed/broken teeth, scabs and fresh facial mutilation (gotta love latex...) shaving cream in my hair so it looks all matted, and LOTS of blood....

For the body, I'd get an old jacket, Spray-paint it with gloss black paint so it looks greassy, and pop-rivet a bunch of leather straps, and some simple armour pieces on the shoulder. It's the sleaves that would make it happly icky.... I'd make a mold, and cast a bunch of nipples, and crudely sew them down both sleaves with waxed red yarn....

For accessories, I'd cast a bunch of fingers to tie onto the belt, with some chunks of Icelandic sheepskin bloodied up as scalps....

A reaver is just simple Gore effects.... (But I'm good at gore effects....)

The goblin head is mostly dry this morning...I figure by tonight, I can add more latex.... I was looking at it, and think it will look much more like a goblin once I get the ears on....

I have Brian Froud's " The Goblin Companion, but I'm making this one closer to some of the goblins in his book Faeries, Going to try to play with making the body as short as possible, so the arms and legs look disproportionately long.... use polar fleace for hose (with some patches) and move the belt and waist up higher. I also figure the ears will go out of holes cut through the hood...

I've made Orcs and other monsters before (that's why I'm good at gore effects) but I want the goblin to look....well different as opposd to scarry/sinister. (I'll probably give it rounded teeth instead of sharp pointed teeth for that reason....)

I temporarly pinned on some ears, and it looks much more goblin like....

I didn't mention in my original post.... but the mouth is designed to open and close when I talk... so you will be able to see the teeth and toungue.... I'll have to wear black make-up when I'm wearing it, so you don't see me inside... but the effect should work out well......

I'd thought about using glass eyes for a more bug-eyed look, be decided that seeing eyes that move and blink is a much more effective.....

I don't know if I'll be able to go to the Labyrinth ball or not, it's an 8 hour drive for me to get to L.A..... So maybe I'll just wear it to one of the local Rennisaunce Faires.... (hey... if they don't like Pyrates, what are they going to say about a very tall goblin....... B) )

Patrick, if you look at the 2006 photo's from the Labyrinth ball you will see there is a person that almost has something similar to what you are designing. Here is a pic from a couple of years ago, but I saw his last year and shook his big hand...I think it is the Rock Biter from Neverending Story.

DSC_0049.jpg

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Yah.. it does look like the "rock bitter" .... but .... not quite.....

I signed up for the e-mail .... notificatilons....

hey I can drive 8 hours ... just hope it will be fun... if not... Pyrate (and once appon a time Klingon( I WILL MAKE IT FUN.......)

So anyone from Sourthern California going...?

(and does anyone know of close-by hotels ... that are kind a.... well inexpenive... going to cheap_

If so... we can plain an interesting "invasion".... (OK not pyrate... but the aditude is still there...)

GOBLINS........ yah......

Dang.... this is taking more time than when I've worked with latex befor.... I've been adding layers almost each night, but still have a lot to do, and I'm only on the upper part of the head..... luckly I don't have to have it done by next weekend.......

I've been working on drawings for how I want the body... still not sure if I want a (goblin's Idea) of fancy, of just a standard (well Brian Froud kinda standard...) goblin body.... I'm trying to decide how much I want to distort the body.... (well I have to be able to wear it and not be too uncomfortable....)

I made a holster for my Browncoat stuff today, so other than finding "the exact right shirt" my Browncoat garb is done.... I might post a photo of it (if I get around to it....)

I found a page from England where they are selling original costumes and props for Serenity, (and found out exactly what bra size Kailey wore... 32C... hey... I wasn't looking for the info... just stumbled across it....And the only reason I can remember it, is that's my waist size..... well not the C part...)

Anyway.... there are two photos of Reaver costumes..... Dang... I think my version looks a lot better.......

I don't wanna sound "snotty", but when I make something, It turns out good.... and sometimes better than the original stuff.........

For example...when I went to Los Vegas for a job related convention, I went to see "the Star Trek Experience".... dang... my Klingon stuff was much better than what they used on the TV show..... :huh:

Maybe I should try to get a job making costumes for Hollywood..... heck... it would pay better than what I'm making now........ I just don't know if it would sound good on a reseme to say that I work, and can make stuff cheaply...... :huh:

Yah... I know this has nothing to do with Pyrates..... and even posting in Beyond Pyracy.... is pushing it..... But it will have to do untill I get back in a good an' proper Pyratical mood......... (then I can finish hand sewing the waistcoat and start on the hemp slops.......and the better Buccaneer clothing.....and.....)

Patrick,

Nothin wrong with posting here..most people here are so creative. Why not share? I used to fabricate haloween costumes fer me an me younger bro. Did Star Wars one year. Was great fun. Came out surprisingly well.

I'd love to see the rev war kit. Love that period in history as well.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I stand corrected..still like ta see it

I have the ears on, and latexed into place..... now I have to start layering the skin colors in place.... I mix latex and acrylic paint, and stripple it on. that way the skin had a multy layer look to it, and dosen't come out flat.... then onto the teeth.... I figure that the head should be done by next week..... I will have to post pictures of it when it's done....

Oooops.... my post sounded way to "snippy".....

I didn't mean it that way...... sorry

NO worries..

<_<

Last time I wore my First Maryland Regiment revwar stuff... filming an IMAX movie in St Marys City. Busted back to the rank of private! Cocked hats and bright sun do not mix well...

johnimax1.jpg

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I don't do Rev. War (if I did, I'd be a Loyalist.....)

The Browncoat stuff is from a Sci-Fi movie.... Serenity...... (same with the Reavers)

Didn't most of the loyalists flee to Canada?

Are you saying that you want to be a Canadian? :ph34r:

So when are you going to post updated pictures of the goblin outfit? Labyrinth was (and still kind of is) one of my all time favourite movies.... If I lived on the West coast, I would be all over that goblin ball. Although with my long hair and my girlfriend obsession with Bowie, i would probably wind up going in tights with big teased up hair and lots of eye makeup... :ph34r::ph34r::huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

Are you saying that you want to be a Canadian?

The idea was to NOT become a Canadian.... it just didn't work out that way..... :lol:

I live in California, so there isn't any Rev. War stuff going on out here.... (OK.. there may or may-not be one or two displaced Easterners out here.... I just don't know of them...)

So when are you going to post updated pictures of the goblin outfit?

The batterys died in my Digital camers, so I had to re-charge them.... but I'm planning on taking pictures of the goblin, and my browncoat stuff... hopefull by this weekend.......

Are you saying that you want to be a Canadian?

The idea was to NOT become a Canadian.... it just didn't work out that way..... :lol:

I live in California, so there isn't any Rev. War stuff going on out here.... (OK.. there may or may-not be one or two displaced Easterners out here.... I just don't know of them...)

So when are you going to post updated pictures of the goblin outfit?

The batterys died in my Digital camers, so I had to re-charge them.... but I'm planning on taking pictures of the goblin, and my browncoat stuff... hopefull by this weekend.......

Okay, now I'm confused... Either that or my brain is shutting down...

The Loyalists in the American Revolutionary War (or War of Independance as some prefer)... Weren't they the ones who did not want to be independant and remain British? And hence many (most? all?) fled to what is now Canada (then still a British colony)?

Or are you saying that they weren't trying to be Canadians, it was just a matter of time before it just happenned.... Am I following this right? :lol:

I've always wanted to put together a Rev-War "King's Royal Yorkers" uniform... I like the fact that they wore green uniforms rather then the typical Red Coat... A project to think about for a future year(s)....

I also favoured the "Glengarry Light Infantry" uniforms in the North American War of 1812 as well, also because they are green... it's kind of funny, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing green in my day to day life (okay that might be exagerating a bit), but it seems to be my favourite colour for re-enacment clothing....

Michael_banner.jpg

The Loyalists in the American Revolutionary War (or War of Independance as some prefer)... Weren't they the ones who did not want to be independant and remain British?

Well they remained Loyal to the Crown.....

but basicaly.....

If thier side won, they would not have had to move to Canada.....

That happened after the war ........

Overly simplistic.... 1/3 were the "Patriots" fighting for Independants... 1/3 were the Loyalist.. Staying Loyal to the Crown.... and the other third waited to see which side won...... (they are the ones who then write the history books, and tell everyone how great they were......)

I'm not "big-time" into the Revolutionary War.... but we only hear one side of the History of it... and I think it's skewed........

Thanks for clearing that up for me... Coming from where the other side of the border... I've heard a slightly different side of the story...

You make a good point with the Loyalists didn't flee until after the war was settled and done with... I think my having been around 1812 and Rev-War re-enactors as little as I have, and the fact that it's a lot of the same guys and gals doing both, I've confused and mixed a lot of the stories from each genre a bit...

I think if I ever seriously branch into either Rev-War or 1812, I'm going to have to do a lot more reading...

Michael_banner.jpg

revwar is a helluvalot of fun... if you are ever interested, alot of my guys still do it.

Yeah, but my sympathies lie to what would be considered "the other side"... I would be a very lonely Red Coat.... :lol:

Did the American's have uniforms for the revolution? Or was it pretty much the Red Coats vrs. "irregulars"? I've seen a lot of the guys that do "irregular" or "militia" use most of the same garb and accoutrments for both Rev-War and 1812... Although I imagine from the closer proximaty in time, almost all the garb and accoutrments could be used for both Rev-War and F&I War (also known as 7 Years War?)

Ya know, it might be better if you don't answer those questions.. I still have a lot to learn about GAoP, and keeping up with my Dark Age stuff anf the GAoP is already as consuming as I should realistically allow myself to get... :lol: Asking questions about other re-enactment genres is just me begging for trouble... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, I'm almost finished with the Goblin head.... I still have to do some detail work, paint the toungue, and make the teeth (the ones in the photo are just temporary cut-out foam, to see what size I want to work with...)

Goblin-II.jpg

Next I get to start working on the body......