Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

sol·stice

–noun

1. Astronomy.

a. either of the two times a year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator: about June 21, when the sun reaches its northernmost point on the celestial sphere, or about December 22, when it reaches its southernmost point. Compare summer solstice, winter solstice.

b. either of the two points in the ecliptic farthest from the equator.

2. a furthest or culminating point; a turning point.

[Origin: 1200–50; < ME < OF < L sōlstitium, equiv. to sōl sun + -stit-, comb. form of stat-, var. s. of sistere to make stand (see stand) + -ium -ium; see -ice)]

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we take a vote between Morning Star and Solstice.

I prefer Solstice and if the vote is between only the two, results may be different ...remember Solstice was a recent add to the mix.

I say a two masted sloop. Fits the publice image of a pirate ship better.

....one mast for esch solstice! :P

Morning Star was twice as popular in the last vote as Solstice. I don't mind the Cutthroat reference, because I'm not too certain it will come up often. I didn't remember it until it was mentioned. Still, I like both names and will gladly side with the majority on that.

And speaking of majority, we still need a few votes turned in on the subject of masts. The tally is currently 1 for a single mast and 3 for two masts.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Silkie

The noon sun is at its highest when it reaches its northernmost point on the celestial sphere. Likewise, it is at its lowest when it reaches the southernmost point.

When at a turning point that is your highest, you have nowhere to go but down

When at a turning point that is your lowest, you have hit rock bottom.

So, our meaninigs agree, even though our words don't.

Now if your saying that alot of the people who live on the Isle of the southernmost point are viewed as people who have hit rock bottom, we have an iteresting tie in. Unfortunatly if you have to explain it, the joke is not funny. Trust me, without a long explaination nobody will get all that out of the word SOLSTICE.

William

I vote for one mast.

First, it would be a faster boat, except on a run where the two masted boat could go wing and wing. As you can't get close enough to launch boarders with that sail configuration, it would be of little advantage to pyrates.

Second, I don't want to correct our guest who think what we are calling a sloop, is really a schooner, ketch or best a yawl.

Third, It would be fun to tell our guest that a ship this size with only one mast, and no modern winches, would require a large crew. which pyrates had.

Also I don't think a Jamacain Sloop would be right. I recall reading that the life span of a wooden hull, without modern coatings, in the caribbean is less than 15 years, due to worms etc. Thus we would be a bit pressed to explain how ours was still "going strong" in 1720?

:) Wait a minute we could say that the reason ours lasted so long was all the careening it was given. In fact, our hull has been high and dry for the last 40 years! :)

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think anyone is going to really care about the meaning of a ship's name. Most ships were named by their captains for a variety of reasons known only to them and carried no deep hidden meaning.

Conversely, even though only a few may remember the Morning Star from Cutthroat Island, I think it defeats the primary mission you're shooting for which is to make your encampment as real as possible. Obviously, our encampment all knows where Morning Star comes from so the tie in will be known at the event regardless. And knowing my crewe they won't be able to help themselves but ask where's Morgan Adams, Glasspoole and Mr. Blair?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I vote for one mast.

First, it would be a faster boat, except on a run where the two masted boat could go wing and wing. As you can't get close enough to launch boarders with that sail configuration, it would be of little advantage to pyrates.

Second, I don't want to correct our guest who think what we are calling a sloop, is really a schooner, ketch or best a yawl.

Third, It would be fun to tell our guest that a ship this size with only one mast, and no modern winches, would require a large crew. which pyrates had.

Also I don't think a Jamacain Sloop would be right. I recall reading that the life span of a wooden hull, without modern coatings, in the caribbean is less than 15 years, due to worms etc. Thus we would be a bit pressed to explain how ours was still "going strong" in 1720?

The oldest ship design we would base the sloop on is the Ferret from 1711, but our boat would probably have a launch date of 1713 or later, making it less than 7 years old, and with a few careenings under her belt, she would still be in good shape.

The vote is now...

Single Mast (2)

Double Mast (3)

Conversely, even though only a few may remember the Morning Star from Cutthroat Island, I think it defeats the primary mission you're shooting for which is to make your encampment as real as possible.

We were thinking of using Morning Star because it DID sound real... Unlike The Reaper or Pyrate's Revenge... It wasn't untill you mentioned that the name Morning Star was used in Cutthroat Island that anyone remembered it.

Obviously, our encampment all knows where Morning Star comes from so the tie in will be known at the event regardless. And knowing my crewe they won't be able to help themselves but ask where's Morgan Adams, Glasspoole and Mr. Blair?

So I guess we should think of another name, If Hurrican's group is going to hastle us and tell everyone that Morning Star was used in Cutthroat Island

Agreed as well...

Solstice or Lucy for me then...

And on another topic here.....

Dunno how much this affects things but there is such a thing as a two masted Sloop... a Sloop-of-war, or a Brig-Sloop...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Obviously, our encampment all knows where Morning Star comes from so the tie in will be known at the event regardless. And knowing my crewe they won't be able to help themselves but ask where's Morgan Adams, Glasspoole and Mr. Blair?

So I guess we should think of another name, If Hurrican's group is going to hastle us and tell everyone that Morning Star was used in Cutthroat Island

We aren't spoiling for a fight. And don't take this wrong. I could care less what your ship is named - I don't think the public will really give a crap either, any more than at the end of the day we're representing life in Port Royal as opposed to any other place in the Caribbean.

I simply know my crewe and how they like to use their improv skills and pick up on things. Unlike your encampment we work together all year long at several dozen events. So we operate and think a little differently than most other casual pirate groups and I was simply trying to point out (as I mentioned the name to several of my crewe) that the subject (the duel original of Morning Star) might pop out of the mouths of several people at the event (not just us) and that it might hurt your goal of creating an authentic careening camp.

I'm not going to be running around telling anyone the origin of the name. I will be a little busy running a small town there and keeping my crewe on task.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I don't mean to be a devil's advocate here, but as long as you are considering reactions to the name, I would hazard that the name Solstice will garner you more rolled eyeballs from the public than Morning Star will. ("what's yer ship's name?" "Solstice" "Ohhhhh, riggghhhht... (sotto voce) freakin NewAgers, c'mon Martha.")

I don't mean to be a devil's advocate here, but as long as you are considering reactions to the name, I would hazard that the name Solstice will garner you more rolled eyeballs from the public than Morning Star will. ("what's yer ship's name?" "Solstice" "Ohhhhh, riggghhhht... (sotto voce) freakin NewAgers, c'mon Martha.")

Granted. Besides, we've had some adamant disapproval on Solstice anyway. So...square one again or do we go down to the bottom of the list?

Somebody hit us with a name we can't refuse.

UMPH!

For what it is worth, my disapproval of solstice was not adamant.

I was just having fun with Silkie. Fun is what this whole thing is about, right?

As to anybody caring about our name, Heck we are about the only ones who care about the whole feastival.

As the design is to based on Ferret, how about "Wild Weasle?"

Hmm...

How 'bout a new one not on the list...

She's a small, fast ship, a Sloop or Brog-Sloop...

Mercury

The wing-footed messenger of the gods...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Hey, I like it.

MERCURY

Aye. That one has merit.

Mercury was a major god of trade, profit and commerce, the son of Maia Maiestas and Jupiter. His name is related to the Latin word merx ("merchandise"; compare merchant, commerce, etc.).

He was also a messenger of the gods and a god of trade, particularly of the grain trade. Mercury was also considered a god of abundance and commercial success, particularly in Gaul. He would lead newly-deceased souls to the afterlife. Additionally, Ovid wrote that Mercury carried Morpheus' dreams from the valley of Somnus to sleeping humans.

He was often accompanied by a cockerel, herald of the new day. There's our Key West connection. That place is swarming with Roosters.

Patrick... how is that wrong? A cure... not a cause...

:blink:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Callenish,

Well put my goode man.

I think the Democratic way was what was being done here, everyone gets a vote...

So, I propose this;

A Brig-sloop named Mercury...

All in favour say AYE!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif