Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

Have to make a change... I found out Eliza isn't old enough to use... It's a form of Elizabeth that didn't come into use until the 1800s....

So, my list is now;

Crow/Palm Crow

Lucy

Mourning/Morning Star

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.... so far, this is what we have....

Antelope (4)

Crow/Palm Crow (4)

Dart (2)

Lucy (2)

Feral Cock / Feral Rooster

Mourning/Morning Star

Pandora

Prudent Mary

I think one more round of your three (3) favorite, but only from this list.... No new names......

lets see if we can get it narrowed down... then maybe vote for it.....

for my three....

Antelope

Dart

Lucy

Crow/ Palm Crow

Lucy

Mourning/Morning Star

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Palm Crow, sounds like a dirty joke.....

Crow... maybe

Is it too late to throw Prechean back in? (silkie spell it correctly...)

I really DO NOT like palm Crow.... Crow... heck I could live with it if that was the way the vote went.....

Hey... at least we are getting closser to finding a good name.......

OH yah... missed this....

Ol Man From the Sea, are you going ter be campin' wit us in th' Careening Camp?

Another thing I wanted to say.... OK... Gentleman of Fortune can't make it to PiP, but I think his vote should count.... Hey... he will be there in spirit.......

I don't think this should get so snooty to say only those that have been there have any say or vote... but I also don't want this to become Pyrate Pop, and we get our ship named something kinda stupid...... so far it's working..... cool.....

Ol Man From the Sea, are you going ter be campin' wit us in th' Careening Camp?

Considering that I didn't even make it as far as the GREEN PARROT ("1st and last bar on US1" and the last bar on the way to the fort) this year, just saying I will be there next year is pushing it a bit. It is way to soon to even dream about camping yet, but with better planning and a bit of luck we'll be sitting in the forts pub again next December like last year.

Speaking of the forts pub, I don't recall it havin' a name? I think that FERAL COCK is a better name for a pub (HARRY) than for a boat, but as has been said "it is so Key West" something should be named that!

As to who votes I have no problems. I only justified myself because, eventhough I have been lurking around here for over three years, I just joined the forum. Even a "friendly" place as this might take offense to somebody movin' in at election time, and I'm of no mind ta gittin' lynched. :blink:

I conceed that Ferel Cock is more the name of a pub and thus I will remove it from my list.

I really DON"T like Antelope BECAUSE of the song "Barretts Privateers" It is a grand song but the date is wrong and changing the words would be just as wrong.

My altered ist:

Mourning/Morning Star

Pandora

Dart or Crow (Crow is better than Antelope)

I still like Bimini

Wot, in all these deliberations no one wanted ta name it The Employment? :lol:

Alright, back to yer regularly scheduled careening.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I've tallied that votes and the only repeats are as follows:

Antelope (5)

Crow(5)

Dart (3)

Lucy (2)

Morning Star (2)

Now, even if we drop the last three (Dart, Lucy and Morning Star) we have the difficult task of naming the ship either Antelope or Crow, and some of you have voiced a dislike for Antelope, and some of you have voiced a dislike for Crow.

Do we need to throw in new names?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Instead of adding even more names... Between the Crow and Antilope, there are some (sorta) strong feelings... so what if we just drop them.... what if we just decided on one of these three...?

Dart (3)

Lucy (2)

Morning Star (2)

Each one has a nice sounding feel to them, and they do sound like good ship names... none sound too Hollywoodish Pyratie, or fake... They may not be everyones "favorite", but anyone of them would make a good compromise name.......

A good idea, Patrick. Silkie just offered the same thing in chat, but you beat her to it.

I know we said no more names, but I ran across this by accident...

tropic

c.1391, "either of the two circles in the celestial sphere which describe the northernmost and southernmost points of the ecliptic," from L.L. tropicus "of or pertaining to the solstice" (as a noun, "one of the tropics"), from L. tropicus "pertaining to a turn," from Gk. tropikos "of or pertaining to a turn or change, or to the solstice" (as a noun, "the solstice"), from trope "a turning" (see trope). The notion is of the point at which the sun "turns back" after reaching its northernmost or southernmost point in the sky. Extended 1527 to the corresponding latitudes on the earth's surface (23 degrees 28 minutes north and south); meaning "region between these parallels" is from 1837. Tropical "hot and lush like the climate of the tropics" is first attested 1834.

I'm not suggesting tropic or tropocus. I'm suggesting Solstice.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

If we go with Patrick (and Silkie's) idea...

My top three now;

Lucy

Morning Star

Solstice

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif