Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

There is an old Filk song by Mercedies Lacky about a spaceship called the Antilope, I figgured it was obscure enough that no one would get the reference....Forgot about Barrett's Privateers....

Crow sounds kinda "common", Raven a little better.... Perchean (Not sure if I'm spelling that correctly...) Is Galic for Raven....

Satisfaction... Now I have the Rolling Stones song going through my head...... :angry:

Southernmost, almost works... But I keep thinking there is an even better name somewhere out there.........

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our lists great and small have only seen a few repeats on the various, separate lists. A few of us like or liked Antelope. Adamant was mentioned by a few. Crow was mentioned, with a footnote of preference to Raven. Dispatch was on at least two lists. Peregrine and Phoenix appreared on favorites of several. Southernmost has appeared on most of the lists, but with an additude toward some change of the name. So let's look at these names.

Antelope is a graceful name. We've confirmed that it is period. The definition is straight forward.

Adamant is by definition an adjective and a state of mind. It implies determination and perhaps defiance.

Now there's Crow and Raven. I would like us to avoid Raven personally, because Raven is overused in my opinion. Just ask yourself, "How many Ravens, Ravenclaws, Ravenwoods, or some other Raven-somethings have you met at renn faires and pirate festivals?" I also happen to like the metaphors and old sayings involving "eating crow" or "as the crow flies" and so forth.

Dispatch has the double meaning of a letter and a demise, as in "We dispatched letters of warning to the commonwealth, and when they refused to take warning from them, we were obliged to dispatch them by the sword."

Peregrine. Just a straight forward bird of prey.

Phoenix is a mythical bird continuously reborn from its own ashes, which might imlpy that it is hard to kill.

Southernmost seems to be an inside favorite with some reservations. I can think of no way to change Southernmost without totally changing it. If we add to it, it won't fit on the stern of the ship. If we shorten it, we lose the reason for having it in the first place.

So there we have it. Seven names that appeared on at least two lists. Should this be our final selection list? Shall we add anymore?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Right, so Adamant is right out.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

préachán is Gaelic for crow/raven I do not know the pronounciation but can find out.

Patrick just ruined Satsfaction for me.

Unyielding , something about that I like.

Southernmost is almost it but ...not there. Utmostsouth ...Absolutesouth (Perhaps we could get absolute Vodka to be a sponser! B) ) ...Steelawaysouth ...Farsouth ...SouthernEdge ...SouthernTip ...Southpoint ...keep thinking

Antelope: I liked , but forgot about it being used in Barret's Privateers...

Adamant : Sounded good, untill the reference to Adam Ant.... now that's stuck in my head...

Crow and Raven. : I agree with William about Raven being too over used, I'm not too gung-ho about Crow...

préachán (It's pronounced Purr-Shawn) is Gaelic for crow/raven

Dispatch : an Amreican Civil War newsletter I use to get......

Peregrine. I keep thinking Peregrin Took from Lord of the Rings.......

Phoenix : Not bad, but it remindes me a little too much of Harry Potter.....

Southernmost... not a bad name... it does tie into PiP....

Hey... at least were narowing the list down.......

Patrick just ruined Satsfaction for me.

Don't say that too loud, or someone will missunderstand what we're talking about..... :lol:

I was pokin' around in the Muzzleloading Forum and there is a really cool way to tie a chunka rope to a tarp.... instead of using a peble or musket ball, tie an overhand know into the end of the rope, and use that....

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb...post/last/#LAST

Hey... if you'r not a member of the Muzzleloading Forum, you may wanna join... they even have a section for Pyrates.......

Other names to toss around...

Swordfish

Sailfish

Bluefin

Albacore

Morning Star

Southern Star

Morning Son

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

I'm still leaning towards Southernmost for a Key West connection, but Florida has other references.

The native stories about the curative spring were related to the mythical land of "Beemeenee", or Bimini, a land of wealth and prosperity located somewhere to the north, possibly in the location of the Bahamas. According to legend, the Spanish heard of Bimini from the Arawaks in Hispaniola, Cuba, and Puerto Rico.

So we have Bimini.

Bird names seem to be popular but why not sea birds?

ALBATROSS

Which on land is called the GOONEY Bird. Would this make the shore party the "Goon Squad?"

GULL

or better

TERN

Maybe TWISTED TERN, or TERN of FATE, or just FATE's TERN

for a Key West tye in

FERAL COCK

or just

THE BIRD

Or instead of Southernmost

Southern Cross

same basic idea with a astrlogical flair (even the song ties in)

myself for a boat in those waters I like the name

ISLE MARAUDER

Thats nine I'll reserve number ten just in case.

Aye, there are some good bird names and there are a lot of birds that nest in Florida...

Grebes Pied-billed Grebe

Brown Pelican

Double-crested Cormorant

Anhinga

Magnificent Frigatebird

Great Blue Heron

Great White Heron

Tricolored Heron

Green Heron

Black-crowned Night-Heron

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

White Ibis

Glossy Ibis

Roseate Spoonbill

Wood Stork

Black Vulture

Egyptian Goose

Mandarin Duck

Blue-winged Teal

Hooded Merganse

Allies Osprey

Northern Harrier

Cooper's Hawk

Crested Caracara

American Kestrel

Sandhill Crane

Laughing Gull

Royal Tern

Bridled Tern

Sooty Tern

Brown Noddy

Black Skimmer

Mourning Dove

Mangrove Cuckoo

Burrowing Owl

Nighthawk

Antillean Nighthawk

Chuck-will's-widow

Chimney Swift

Belted Kingfisher

Great Crested

Gray Kingbird

Loggerhead Shrike

Fish Crow

Purple Martin

Marsh Wren

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Wood Thrush

Gray Catbird

Northern Mockingbird

Bahama Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Northern Cardinal

Red-crested Cardinal

Blackbird

Eastern Meadowlark

I went through the list again, and these are my 5 favorite.........

Antelope (Ok... so there are two songs about it... I still like the name...)

Waterhound

Dart

Lucy

Prudent Mary

Both the Lucy and Prudent Mary have kinda nice ring to them.... not something "tough...Pyrate like or Hollywood", they sound like real names for real ships....

Lucy

Crow

Swordfish

Mourning or Morning Star

Eliza

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I was all set to remove Crow from my list until I found a species of crow out of Hispaniola and Cuba called a "Palm Crow". I like the sound of that more than the others I have proposed. Palm Crow. Yep. Right back on the list.

Antelope

Dispatch

Palm Crow

Prudent Mary

Southernmost

So here's the list so far....

Antelope (2)

Beemeenee (Bimini)

Crow /Palm Crow

Dart

Dispatch

EdnaMae

Eliza (2)

Ferel Cock

Lucy (2)

Mourning or Morning Star

Pandora

Prudent Mary (2)

Sisters

Southernmost

Swordfish

Waterhound (2)

Now lets break it down to your favorite three (3)

Crow/Palm Crow

Lucy

Eliza

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Dispatch

Dart

Feral Cock / Feral Rooster

PS

for those who wonder why I'm voting, 07 will be my fourth trip to Key West for PIP. in 06 I was on the island but waylaid by "friends" and missed the fort ;)

PPS

as it is looking to be a race between Palm Crow and Antelope I'd perfer Antelope