PiP 2007!!

Harry

The 2006 event was scaled down significantly from years past due to a number of reasons I won't get into here. My intent is to build the event little by little. Don't want it to explode because then it will get out of control.

A big THANK YOU!!!! to all who were able to make the 2006 event. We were able to spend some quality time together and talk about how we can improve the 2007 gathering. And, the suggestions made by Patrick Hand, Silkie, Capt Jim and Capt Rusty and others will be incorporated. Thanks for helping this Civil War guy get a better handle on the period we're trying to interpret!! Also, I met a gentleman from England who was here in '05 and had a blast as it were. He's retired Royal Artillery and promised to send me an authentic Union Jack (5'x8') to fly over the fort (until y'all bring it down!).

Corporate sponsors will be sought for 2007. We will have more activities for kids. We will have more entertainment thoughout the day. And, yes, there will be more publicity. There's been some initial talk about expanding the event to five days so we can present the Bonny/Read trial twice. A lack of budget nipped a lot of things out of the planned program. My local committee is already working on these items.

I'm not sure I want to expand on the number of sutlers. There were 15 sutlers here for '06. But, I will be real picky now on the type of sutler that comes to peddle their wares. Smoke and Fire was here and they plan to come back.

Most importantly, the encampment that was set up by Pubbers from here was most excellent!

I will be adding a page or two (or three or four...) to the Fort Taylor.org web site about PiP. I also have a message board on that site. I closed it due to a lack of traffic, but if it's more convenient to cuss and discuss PiP on that board, I'll be happy to open it back up. Just say the word. I'll just have to get some piratical icons.

Just wanted to let Pubbers know how much I appreciated you coming to our event. Your input will help put the spark back into what PiP had been a few years back!

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, me and my crew had a fine time while we were there. I believe me and my wife are planning on camping in the fort next year. One suggestion is, if this hasn't been brought up yet, we need more redcoats. If it is a costume thing I would be willing to make 5 or so coats and pants. Something basic, just so some pirates can dress up for the battles and then go back to there regular grab later. I just need the patterns for the coats. Anyways we had a blast. I hope to come next year as a vendor. My wife and I are going full steam ahead with our business and hope to make PiP next year our grand opening as it were. So it was a pleasure meeting all of you and hope to see you there next year.

...we need more redcoats. If it is a costume thing I would be willing to make 5 or so coats and pants. Something basic, just so some pirates can dress up for the battles and then go back to there regular grab later. I just need the patterns for the coats.

Not a bad idea, it wouldn't even have to be good wool, just the right red for those fireing the cannons and in the field. Those who are away from the public.

I'd be willing to whip up a few of those also. And I have some patterns for that.

Agree that more redcoats are necessary. Tough to find folks who have the necessary garb and are willing to travel this far. But, we're working on it. Would appreciate muchly if pirates who have redcoats could do "double duty," as it were!

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

-------

Tuesday night and I finaly get a chance to read/post.

Yes, I think that turning a few Pyrates to the English side is a very good idea. After all, we turned one of the redcoats to Pyracy over weekend. (here's to Edward Turncoat!)

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Just my poinion here. But there are quite a few Rev War reenactors along the east coast maybe you should contact them for the event and have them set up an authentic camp...

But as I said this is just my own opinion. On a side note. they would already have complete proper kit.

Kathryn

Agree that more redcoats are necessary. Tough to find folks who have the necessary garb and are willing to travel this far. But, we're working on it. Would appreciate muchly if pirates who have redcoats could do "double duty," as it were!

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

That's one of my/our main obstacles. You folks are pretty far away.

The other is the historical background, or lack thereof. I know alot of reenactors who do this period -- regulars, militia and otherwise -- and they'd probably like to do an event like this, but is there really a history to back you up? While it isn't always crucial, having a set "time and place" to an event does help, imho.

Anyway... looks like fun! Best of luck in the future!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

There isn't a solid historical background as far as a battle or that sort of thing goes. In fact, the U.S. Navy was sent to Key West in 1822 to rid the area of pirates. And our fort wasn't constructed until 1845.

But, that doesn't stop us at the park from developing an historically accurate portrayal of what might have occured if the British had a garrison at Key West. We know that the British had garrisons throughout the Caribbean, so we key off of that to create what we create.

The period that is represented is from 1675 to 1725.

One might think that it's easy to get folks to travel to here. In fact, it is not, given our distance from the mainland. There is a redcoat gathering in St. Augustine the same weekend of PiP. We did not realize that when the park took over most of the event organizing. I'm not inclined to change the already established dates of PiP either. Last year was the very first time that redcoats appeared in this event. That allowed pirates to fight a common enemy instead of themselves.

We have a year to entice redcoat units to take a trip down here. I have contacts in that community as well. If anybody else has other contacts and you want to share them, I'll be happy to make contact with your groups.

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

-------

Ah, tis a grand period indeed, Harry. I can definitely see where you're going with this and as you know, my crewe is already in the planning stages to help out with entertainment and some historical presentations. Since the period is a good one for me, I'll probably be doing a bit of Sir Henry Morgan down there next year at the fort. It'll be great fun portraying a man who was still deep in the "trade" while being a part of the governments of the Jamaicas. Should be fun and can't wait!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

There is something about the battles that bothers me… Why are Pyrates attacking the fort? Don’t get me wrong, the battles are fun, it’s just the why…

What if the scenario was that the Pyrates have paid off the Governor, and last night one of the crew decided in a drunken rage to tear-up a tavern… The law (redcoats) had to do something, so they locked him up… Now the rest of the Crew is miffed, because they think that since they have paid off the Governor, one of their crewmates shouldn’t be locked-up… So it’s not really a battle, but more of a riot/show of force… that would also explain why there aren’t many casualties, and why there isn’t any animosity between the Pyrates and Redcoats once back inside the fort…After much firing and yelling, the Captain and Governor show up, and calm things down….

OK… it needs some work. (Such as why the Wolf is firing at the Fort…) But it gives us a better storyline to play with than just attacking the fort…

Patrick has a point. I admit that the only reason I need to fire my pistol is because I can. Which is why the wolf is firing at the fort ...with their one gun. We need a better scenario than what we didn't have this year.

Perhaps one of the Pirate ships has been confiscated by the English even thought it is was sailing under the English flag? The Pirates come to the fort as a threat.

...don't ask me ...I'm new at this.

Or you can take from history the scenario...that the pirates need medical supplies desperately...the governor says no and no is not an option for the pirates.

Pirates decide to do a raid and take what is needed later the pirates can return (under different flag...hey pirate) with goods to trade and with the goods, the pirates will be welcomed back into the governor's good graces so to speak.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

I think Patrick has a good nugget there - perhaps though, there is an uprising because the governor has gone back on his agreement with the pirates to accept their presence in exchange for payments of goods and coin. He plans to hang one of the pirates to show his displeasure with the current arrangements and the pirates are out to rescue their own. The redcoats are there to prevent this - there is a skirmish - the pirate is freed, but only when the governor steps in to stop the street brawling (I see wenches and ladies whacking each other too in a free for all). The lieutenant fires a round, the governor agrees to a new cut of the trade and the prisoner is released. He then invites all to retire to the "tavern" for a round of grog to quell the rioting.

Just another approach...

-- Hurricane

Just like I thought we should have one skeleton already hanging from the fort as Ann and Mary are tried - or have the ropes lowered down behind them before the verdict is read and they plead their bellies. Adds a little humor but also demonstrates the resolve the ruling party had to rid the island of pirates once and for all.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

That was often the case in the Caribbean (again, I know most about Port Royal). In some of the garrisons the standing troops were few - they were bolstered by the locals who were militia. This put some of them into compromising positions - imagine a merchant who serves as militia - who must be called on to quell piracy even though it is his lifeblood of trade.

At Fort Charles, there were few troops - the militia handled all the cannon work there - imagine manning 140 cannon in a single place. :lol:

So I think it has some good story to it and is fairly true to period.

I think it also allows some of the "residents" to play various sides of the coin as well during an uprising or misunderstanding.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Wow... you guys are good!

I am usually too busy counting my own stitches to actually think up an authentic scenario!

See, there is plenty of room for everybody!

Greg

aka

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks, Greg.

Bear in mind that a lot of us want to burn off some black powder while there. If the scenarios take place inside the fort in close proximity to the patrons there will simply be no room for safe BP use. That and nothing at which to fire the cannon. Perhaps the French (or Spanish) could show up, outside the fort? That way the English and the Pyrates could brawl and make up and then unite to fight a common enemy. Or is that introducing too many players/scenarios/costume changes to the mix?

Speaking of cannon, I would like to see one gun crew stay sober until sunset for a single cannon sunset salute. I know it's asking a lot, but if we rotate the assignment no one will have to forgo the grog for long. Three crews, one each for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. More if the dates are expanded.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I think manpower would be a great problem introducing more into the mix. There simply isn't enough people already - the shortage of redcoats as an example.

The firing of cannon can be a separate event entirely - giving even more to do. The advantage of creating the struggle inside the fort is that everyone will be aware of it and can participate at whatever level they want. The traditional battle happens beyond the walls of the fort. The idea is to get the people into the fort, to pay the admission and stay the day. Hence the expansion of activities in the fort to keep them there in 07.

I think the cannons can be educational as well as fun. I saw we had a demo on how to load the cannon and such on Friday before it was hoisted to the ramparts. Why not do a who session each day about the different cannons, who they were loaded, etc. and then demo them. Same with the flintlocks. Schedule a time up where nothing else conflicts in the fort and direct everyone up top to enjoy some boom time. Cannon fire is just as enjoyable with or without a pseudo enemy...

I'd like to see more historical games in the fort too, perhaps under the main tent - one year a mate of ours did some historical games, including some of those in the recent issue of Pyrates magazine (I'd be more specific but Diosa has my copy right now). When we had the Dread Pyrate game three years ago (not historical but fun) it drew lots of players, including the public and pirtes.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 1 month later...

Oh! I am SO HAPPY to see interest in seeing PiP taken to another level! 2006 was our first attendance, actually, our first reenactment/pirate attendance ever, and, while it was fantastically exciting, I was sad to see what I thought was a relatively low attendance (I mean, come on! There are pirates!). I know this can be so much more! :huh:

Harry, please, I know we are in Chicago, but if there is anything I can do to help with marketing (designing flyers, etc.) please let me know. I am planning on attending the entire event, expecting my hubby and a friend as well - we can definitely hand out flyers and generate interest on Duval and generally help out.

Patrick - I love the concept you have promoted ~ so many potential facets to work with!

Now, I know that there are some differences with the way children are handled ;) (yep, I read all the posts for PiP 2006). I myself am fairly tolerant of them (provided they are well behaved), not having any (and with no intent!), and rarely around them. BUT - they can be a driving force for attendance, especially given the PotC craze. Perhaps a one time 15 and under Dress Like A Pirate contest? Perhaps held in an area that caters to the smaller folk, offering pirate interaction that they can handle? Knot tying, make a pirate flag (black craft foam paper + white paint markers), "tattoos" (face painting), Walk the Plank game ~ Mind you, I am not a teacher, wannabe Mom, h@ll, I'm not even a good role model, so I shouldn't be involved with the young'uns. Too much of a potty mouth (REALLY - trust me on this. Ask my friends, ask my SISTER B) ).

Just a thought.

Now, for some fun ~ Harry, my dear, is this perchance yourself with me, returning from the beach? Someone did mention it was. :)

DSCF3891.jpg

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!