Your Yesterday

Caraccioli

OOh I've seen this. It is cool. Even though I love airplanes, I prefer to be INSIDE. Just dont trust them parrachute thingys.. ;)

But this I'd do.

Mission what do you grow in the Winter?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grow no foodstuffs except the random herb or two on the kitchen sill. I have several tropical plants that must needs be brought inside and artificially lit.

Three of them reside on the Plank Shelves is my Pirate-Themed Living Room. Three others make their home in the Key West Themed Dining Room. NOTE: You'll have to scroll about half way down the page to see the three plants in the area marked Corner Plant Stand. Be aware that the dining room web pages are not complete (mostly because the dining room is not complete) which is why there is no link to them from anywhere on my webpage. So you're getting a look at the "in progress" pages. (I do so hate broken links and links to incomplete pages. It's the Judger in me.) For the curious, that odd thing at the top of the page is a message to someone I have asked to design a very interesting dining room table - it seemed expedient to just post the pics on the web page for them and put my thoughts there for their review. It also gave me incentive to build the pages, most of which are actually done - although they are not yet linked from that page (The persistent can get to them, though. B) )

Speaking of which, yesterday I came up with the most curious idea. If you look at that page, you'll notice a large indoor window at the back of the room overlooking my Florida Room. I had wanted to make (or get made - I know not nearly enough about the process) a stained-glass window for that spot. Several weeks ago I sketched a rough outline of a Keys-themed picture I have had in mind for almost twenty years (the outline of which I won't share now as sharing my artistic ideas seems to diminish my interest in them for some odd reason). I set the sketch aside to simmer. Yesterday it hit me that it would be really cool to make and paint for myself a sort of three dimensional painting of this picture. The way the painting would work would be this: I would mount three or four panes of glass the full size of the window in a box that would fit inside the widow aperture.The box would have small wood spacers around the edges to keep the panes about 1/16 - 3/16" apart. The picture is of a landscape and has three rough parts - foreground, mid-ground and distant. It occurred to me that the closest objects could be painted on the front of the first pane of glass and would appear at the bottom, the slightly recessed foreground objects would be painted on the back of the same pane. This would be done similarly for the mid and distant panes, although the mid pane would occupy the middle of the glass and the distant part the top part of the glass. The work would have to make best use of shadows that would appear when viewing the work. There would be overlap in the painting so that if you looked at a certain spot at an angle, you would not see blank areas on panes behind the front. I plan to it as a slightly impressionistic work to allow for the best use of the shadow effect.

I don't know if I'll do it or not, but I have been noodling with it and have had several really interesting (and, dare I say, clever) ideas about how to make the best use of this 3D painting. So that was the most interesting part of my yesterday. <_< (If there is something better than mentally toying with creative projects, I couldn't possibly tell you what it was. It's better than making them or even seeing them complete - although if they are never completed, it's sort of useless as an exercise...there's that J again.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

8:00 - 10:30 Slept

11:00 - 3PM Pillage

3 - 6 pm plunder

6 - 9 pm drink the spoils and sing

9:30 - 2 am Sleep it off

2:30 - 3:00 swordfight.

3:00 - 3:15 bleed

3:15 - 4:00 git stitched up

4:00 - 5:00 drink t' ease th pain

5:00 - 11am sleep

<_< Aye!

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Raphael,

I love the swordfish bookends! cool!

Coastal decor for me is a passion. Theres a lot you can buy, but if you're creative you can make a lot. I've taken a shallow glass bowl or even some of the HUGE clamshell halves you find around here and filled with sand, just stick citronella votives or regular ones in and let em melt right into the sand. it's an easy cleanup and it safe and looks cool.

and hell it's cheap! (If you live near a beach that is)

I like coral branches too. The problem is I don't like the resin ones. They get really dusty and are impossible to clean. Plus they just look fake. Im still looking for a cheaper source. Aquarium stores are expensive. There are some online dealers but again, still pricey.

I have a wind chime I made years ago which is simply driftwood with scallop shells hung from linen string. It sounds nice and the weather only makes it look better. It's small..I don't like big stuff.

Pier One is an awesome source for cheap interesting glass stuff and beach grass baskets and raffia. There are also the odd interesting things you find. Just remember not to overkill with tons of stuff.

Grab an old wine bottle and age it or find one at a local craft place or pier one and stick a parchment note inside. Small ones make neet invitations.

I did some cool island style/tiki on my porch at my old place. Even had an inflatable parrot. Till he "flew" away in a gale one night!

Tin soup or tomato cans (the silver ones) cut with tinsnips and filled with sand and a votive make cool lanterns for the outdoor steps. I'll try to post a pic if I get time.

Looks great have fun!

Neat ideas, although if you got to the bookends, you've probably seen the extent of the decor for that room unless I come across something spectacular. There are several dining room items that I couldn't photograph (no table to put them on and I want them shown in their natural habitat.) They will find there way into the web page mix when I actually get a table, but other than that...

I am also a fan of simpler = better. The pirate living room is even looking a bit cluttered to me these days. (Things have been added since the original photos were taken. Some of those things probably need to go.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

I don't know if I'll do it or not, but I have been noodling ....

You've been catching catfish by hand? <_<

I spent yesterday and most of today doing deep dives in a quarry. I now have a very real idea of what "mind numbingly cold" really is. And know that mask failures at seventy feet suck.

No definition of noodling appears to match mine. (In fact, they seem to be the opposite in a way - setting catfish aside, that is. I find it best to set catfish aside regularly. It's sort of my motto, in fact.) I wonder where I got that word? Probably from the same place you got 'bonky'.

Stay calm, put the mask back on, blow through nose...

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...other than that, nothing new to report.

Well I don't remember too much about yesterday..

But if I wait two minutes, today will be yesterday....

Not that anything that excitig happened here either.. :lol:

Did my usual plethora of things at work and then went indoor skydiving!

iFly SF Bay

It was a blast and a half. If any of you come out thisaway you HAVE to try it.

Ye got lucky there! Looks like they have th' air column right up t' th' wall???

The one I went t' in Las Vegas they only have th' column up th' center of th' room (edges lined with cousions) so ye really had t' 'Balance' or ye fall right off (ont' th' cousions o'course). But for me that was ok as it taught me a few things bout me own fly'n skills, it was well worth it, I went back three more times even!!

But for the $20-ot bucks they charge (that be AFTER the first time) I still prefer t' just go skydive, besides back then a skydive was only about $14 (over $20!).

Here be a couple o' me own videos and some photos:

Come Sail Away!!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!