Relentless and Rakehell

Jacky Tar

I crack one bleary eye as light hits my face. My head feels like cannons are going off in my brain. I slowly turn my head. The room is empty, but there is a mug of coffee next to the cot. Reaching for it, I notice my arm is bare. I know this isn't right, somehow, but it takes my fuzzed mind to put two and two together. With dawning fury, I lift the coverlet.

"WHO THE HELL TOOK MY CLOTHES?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standin' on the other side o' the door, "I believe she's awake." I knock an enter slowly. No sound of pistols cockin', it may be safe t' enter, "Good mornin', may I enter?"

I hear her rustle, but nothin' strikes the door. I peer around the door, an spy her sittin' up an sippin' coffee. Her covers are drawn close, "Would ye like t' dress fer breakfast, or would ye like other clothin'? I have some slops an a shirt which might fit ye."

I'm sure she's wonderin' who removed her dress, "I took the liberty of removin' yer dress, 'fore puttin' ye t' bed. Ye seemed t' be incapable o' doin' it yer self."

I sipped my coffee carefully, while clutching the bed covers to my chest. Over the cup I glared at Jacky, but it's hard to be threatening when you've no clothes on. What made matters worse, is I couldn't remember how or when I'd been put to bed, or what had happened after that. I didn't "feel" like anything had happened, but I just couldn't remember. Besides, I didn't think Jacky was the kind of man to take advantage of such a situation. But, God's teeth, he'd seen me naked! And I hadn't even been awake to see his reaction. Maybe he hadn't liked what he saw, and that's why...

I took another sip of coffee, then, ignoring the question about Sebastian, I said, "So, you took my dress off, did you? Why, might I ask? Unless it was too dirty to wear, why not just let me sleep in it? I also notice there are no swords, pistols or knives anywhere close to this bed, which might be an indication that you knew what my reaction to being undressed without my knowledge or permission would be!"

Mustering up my fiercest glare, I said with deadly calm, "If you would be so kind, get me a pair of slops and a shirt."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I walked over t' my sea chest, an pulled a pair of slops an a shirt, fer Ransom. I brought them back t' the bunk an laid 'em at her feet.

"As fer takin' off yer dress last night, 'fore ye passed out, ye seemed all t' glad t' have me help ye take it off. I left ye in yer corset an petticoat, ye must hav removed those wit' out my help."

Lookin' about fer arms, "Sorry, don't remember ye bringin' aboard any pistols or swords. Mine are locked away, safe an secure. Had I slept in the bunk there'd have been a pistol, near by."

"I'm not saying a word until you leave this room and I can put some clothes on. AND, if I was too feeble fingered to get my dress off last night, there is no way I could wriggle out of a corset by myself."

Jacky only grinned at me, but eventually left the room so I could get dressed. I quickly slipped on the shirt and slops, all the while wondering why in the world I had mentioned Sebastian. "Musta been drunker than I thought," I mumbled, vowing never to touch a drop of alcohol while in Jacky's company, and furious with myself that I couldn't remember being "all too pleased" to have Jacky take my dress off—an event I'd actually been looking forward to.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I see Mister Tar standing outside his door, "I need a term for you always standing and sleeping against the door of your own cabin!" Mister Tar quipped, "Gent." I mumbled, "fool."

It was back to the galley for me, to supervise Goose who was cooking breakfast.

I was dressed, but with one little problem. The clothes were too big. The shirt hung to my knees and the slops wouldn't stay around my hips, but kept falling to the floor.

Hanging on to the slops with one hand, I shuffled over to the sea chest, opened it, and looked for a belt. There were extra clothes, navagation maps, a fancy spy glass, a spare pair of boots, neck cloths, and a fine brass sextant - but no belt.

"Damn and blast." I rumaged further, and finally found a long blue silk sash. "Ah, just the thing."

With the slops firmly held up by the sash, I felt secure enough to venture on deck and make my way to the galley.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom entered the galley, wearin' the ill fittin' sailors garb. The only trace of femininity in her attire was a blue sash, she wore t' hold up the slops.

"This will not do. I was savin' this for later! Indulge me, an come wit' me." I took her by the hand an led her back t' my cabin.

I opened the door t' my cabin, an walked over t' a smaller trunk. From the trunk I withdrew a Watteau gown, wit' Venetian daisy trim. I held it up t' her, "Please change an rejoin me in the galley." I handed her the gown, turned an left her, wit' her mouth agape.

Before Jacky could make it to the door, I called him back. "Jacky, what am I to do with this? It's gorgeous, but meant for some lady of The Quality, not the captain of a ship. The clothes I have on are better suited to my vocation than this fine gown. If I was going to some high-toned and fancy party, that might be different, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon. And, God, can you imagine what my crew would think if I returned to the Rakehell dressed in this?"

I let my hand run over the fine fabric, then folded it carefully and put it back in the chest. I turned to Jacky. "I thank you for the offer, but it is much too fine for me. Now, let us go up to the galley and get something to eat."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

She did not she herself, as I saw her, she could be a lady an a captain. "Pity, the gown would have flattered ye." I pointed t' the other bunk, "Goose has retrieved, some of yer clothin' from the Rakehell. I'll let ye change. Please keep the blue stoll, it was meant t' be worn over yer shoulders, to bring out yer eyes!" I left, an returned t' the galley.

Something told me I'd hurt Jacky's feelings, but it could not be helped. The gown would never do for me, much as I might wish it. I changed back into my own clothes, but, since he had offered, kept the blue sash as a memento of the dress I could not keep.

Once back in my usual clothes, I felt more myself. Yes, I was a female, but expensive fancy gowns were not meant for me, not for a long time, if ever. I was who I was, and truth be told, I liked my life at sea, even if fine dresses were denied me. I hoped Jacky would understand, and not think I had rebuffed his gift out of pique. His generosity touched me deeply, and it meant more to me than I could say, that he though well enough of me to offer it.

Back in pantaloons, shirt, justecorp, and boots, I joined my host in the galley, prepared for a rebuff and most likely a quick return to the Rakehell.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I hadn't mentioned the gown t' even Spoons, so as far as anyone knew, I took her back t' my cabin t' change into her own clothes.

When she entered the galley she was wearin' her own clothes, an the blue sash around her waist. Goose looked up from the stove, an looked glad t' see Ransom, the captain.

I looked at her an smiled, I was glad t' see Ransom, the lady.

Putting back on my brash exterior, I asked with a hint of sarcasm, "So, Spoons, can I get a mug of coffe without any rum in it this time?"

Goose grinned, obviously glad that his captain was back to normal.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Me put rum in coffee? Never! So, you'll be wanting Irish whiskey in your coffee, Captain Ransom?" I mumbled to myself, "You certainly liked it in your coffee last night!"

While Goose's captain was clearly back, mine was not.

"Irish whiskey! No wonder I got so drunk. God's teeth, Spoons, I was trying to sober up, not get...well, never mind. Just give me a cup of plain coffee, will you?"

I turn to Jacky, who has been a bit quiet since I returned in my own clothes. I approached him with a smile, and touched his cheek. "Thank you again for the dress. It really was lovely. Maybe I'll be able to wear it someday." I gave a little laugh. "If you can put up with me for that long."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

In as serious a tone, as I could muster, "I thought I made it clear last night, if Goose is here cookin', ye must make an appearance an eat wot he be preparin'." Then I smiled, "He's gettin' better, we might not let him go!" Goose smiled at this, but Spoons only grunted.

I turned t' Spoons, "How is our supply o' Irish Whiskey, after last night?" Spoons smiled at that remark, an chuckled t' himself.

I looked at Ransom, again, "Please, sit an eat. I believe Goose has prepared bacon an eggs."

The mornin' repast, usually includes some baked goods. I looked at the lumps of dough, on the table, could be scones? "I see Goose needs some more bakin' lessons." Spoons just shrugged his shoulders. "Good reason t' hav ye back, Goose." I looked at Ransom, "...an mayhaps yer self, too."

I pick up one of the rounds of dough and bang it against the table. The roll doesn't even dent. I glance at Goose, who quickly looks away. Yes, I suppose he does need a few more lessons, but he can't stay on the Relentless forever.

After a few more cups of coffee, and a filling breakfast, I figure it's time to get back aboard the Rakehell. I retreive my dress of the previous night, and with Goose in tow, return to the deck.

Before crossing back to the dock, I turn to Jacky. "Thank you for the dinner and breakfast. I'm sorry about getting drunk, but you have to admit, that wasn't entirely my fault. I'll send Goose back soon, for another lesson, and yes, I'll come and see how he fairs."

I give Jacky a kiss on the cheek, and leave the Relentless, slightly dissappointed at the way the whole evening had gone. As usual, it had been different than I had hoped or expected. But, there was always next time.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I was on deck to say good-by to Goose. I watched Ransom kiss Mister Tar on the cheek. At least someone's ardor had cooled, then I saw Mister Tar's emotionless stoic face, or was it resignation?

I turned and headed back to the galley. While on my way to the galley, I remembered Goose had left the serving tray in Mister Tar's quarters, the night before, and I thought I'd better retrieve it.

Mister Tar's door was ajar, so I entered, without knocking. The tray was leaning against a small open chest. It wasn't like Mister Tar to leave chests open and unlocked. It was also not like Mister Tar to keep a lady's dress in his cabin, and that is just what was in this chest!

He'd offered her a fine dress? It was here, so she refused it. Then it was over, at least for her. I quickly closed the chest, relocked it, and left with the tray. This called for a drink!

It was a while since I'd been aboard the Rakehell, I sat in the elegant ward room waiting to see if the rumors were true..

When Ransom got back she'd be happy t see me.. I wondered what tale she'd have. When I asked the Mate wot brought me onboard and settled me to wait fer his Captain, he only avoided my eyes AND my question.

Hmmm I smiled the smile of one who pictures many things that COULD have happened and waited for Ransom to set the record straight..or not, she wasn't always one ta be loose lipped.. I sipped the good Brandy she kept on board and waited.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

When we reached the Rakehell, Goose went below with my things and returned to his galley.

Africa greeted me with a questioning expression on his face. "You don look too happy. What happen, dat man no like your dress?"

"Oh he liked it well enough, I suppose." I stood at the rail by his side, letting the wind ruffle my hair and the sun warm my face.

"Den why Goose come back fo your ol' clothes?"

"I drank a little too much. When I tried to sober up, either Captain Tar or Spoons, his cook, spiked my coffee with Irish whiskey. I passed out. Next think I knew, it was morning, and I was in Captain Tar's bed with no clothes on."

The big man's hand dropped to his cutlass. "If dat man hurt you..."

I gave him a wry smile. "Nothing happened, except I cursed a blue streak."

"Dat be normal."

"Then he gave me a fine, expensive ball gown to wear."

He raised an eyebrow. "You look pretty strange standin' at da helm in a ball gown."

"That's why I politely refused it. But you know, for a moment, with that fine dress in my lap, I almost wished I was back in London at one of those horrid balls my mother used to throw, and that I was wearing that dress, and could dance the night away with a handsome man."

Africa looked worried. "You ever wish dat before you meet Captain Tar?"

I met his gaze. "No. Never."

Africa was silent for a long time, then said, "I almost forget. You have a guest. She say her name be Cat."

"Red Cat! Where is she?" I turned, scanning the deck, but didn't see her.

"Waitin' fo you in da ward room."

Feeling a bit more lighthearted, I went below to greet my friend. When I found her I grinned. "Found my best brandy, I see!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Yes thank you.." your crew is well mannered as usual "

Ransom had whisked into the room shutting the door quietly behind her. She opened it briefly again and called out something to one of her crew down the small corridor. I looked at her for a clue of recent events, but aside from some dark circles above cheeks a bit more rosy than usual I just wasn't sure...

So to test the waters, I took a sip and spoke over the edge of my glass

"..and uh..nice sash.. is it new?

That made me laugh. "You don't miss a thing, do you Cat?" I fingered the cloth of the sash. "This be a souvineer of a very...interesting evening."

I plopped into a chair, leaned over and poured a dram of brandy into the glass Red Cat had put out in anticipation of my arrival. "The hair of the dog is just what I need right now, as my head is pounding." I give her a little salute, then asked," I must say, I'm glad to see you, but what brings you to the Rakehell?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Does a friend need a reason ta stop by?" I said, knowing fully well she'd never buy that..the look she shot me confirmed it and I just shrugged. Pouring her a bit more I said "Well, one reason..no.. actually ..two."

"But then. it might actual be three since I came aboard. Seems you've a story t' tell lass.."

I smile at her an refill my own glass (what the hell it's not MY 100 year old Brandy) sit down drawing my legs up under me and wait for her to start talkin..

But before she can say anything Goose appears with something on a silver tray that..actually smelled good!

I looked from him to her, to the tray and back at her "My gosh woman! he can cook?!"

"Well, he's had a few lessons lately. That's part of the interesting evening I spent."

I knew Red Cat was waiting to see if I'd confide in her, and I really did need someone to talk to that wasn't male. Besides, she was always good for an interesting tid bit of information, which I'm sure she would be willing to tell, if we did a little word-bartering. I got up and slipped the lock on the door, just so we wouldn't be interupted.

"Okay, I'll tell you what happened last night, 'cause I probably need some advice of the girl kind, but it's got to be a fair trade, so you tell me what two reasons brought you here. Deal?" I poured a bit more brandy into my glass. What the hell, I was still half-drunk from the Irish whiskey, what was the harm in a little brandy? It beat having a headache.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg