Relentless and Rakehell

Jacky Tar

Wishin' not t' burden Tess's thread any longer, with a tale being spun by False Ransom and Jacky Tar, I have started a story tellin' thread here.

This thread is not intended t' be as accurate as 'The Watch Dog', or 'Port Royal, Jamaica'. This thread will have romance and adventure; so, blood thirsty pirates may want t' post elsewhere.

The story begins with the crew of the Relentless takin' on provisions and stores, and the unexpected arrival of an old shipmate seekin' t' join the ship's company.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mister Dillard, I believe Spoons can show ye t' a berth, and put ye on account. This is not a Royal Navy ship of the line, and ye will be brought on as a first mate. Ye will be responsible fer cargo operations and deck crew. Are we clear?" Dillard quickly nods, and stops short of saluting.

Spoons walks up to Dillard, and whispers, "That went easy, follow me." The two men descend into the forecastle, and forward quarters. "You must address the Captain as, Mister Tar. The locals know him as Jacky Tar." Dillard looks confused, but nods that he understands, and as much says so.

"This is your bunk, and you store your belongings in this chest. Welcome aboard Mister Dillard!"

Close quarters to be sure, new and old shipmates, and a chance to get back to a life I thought I'd lost. "This is most fortunate indeed", I mumbled.

'Jacky Tar? I'll have to ask Spoons more about why Captain Black, would use a nickname.' This was curious, I thought.

"Tis a small world, me thinks." Spoons comes back on deck, and reports that a berth has been found for Mister Dillard. He seems quite pleased, wit' young man's arrival.

I think back on when he served, as a midshipman. Eager t' learn, and quick on his feet. Took orders well, too. Like myself he seemed most at home, when out t' sea. Unlike myself, he frequented the pubs in every port; he spent much of his pay, on the less virtuous ladies. Tall, blond and blue eyed, he could have attracted any number of ladies in society.

We'll see how the crew takes t' our new first mate, in the comin' days.

I stood on the deck of the Rakehell looking out over the harbor. I could just see the Relentless amid all the other ships currently in port. I couldn't see her captain.

My first thought, due to my frustration and anger, was to confront Jacky and demand exactly what his feeling were. But, after coming on deck and getting some fresh air, I changed my mind. I didn't think confrontation would work with that man. So I stood looking at his ship and thinking.

"Well, what ya waiting for?" Goose, my ship's cook asked. "Thought ya was goin' ta solve yer problem."

I turned to face the scrawny man. "You know, Goose, you're advice is about as good as your cooking. I'll handle this, never fear, but picking a fight is not the way to go about it."

He shrugged. "'Course, Captain, you'd know best. But, as I told ya, the crew don't like being the brunt of yer foul temper. Might want ta cut us some slack, if'n ya take my drift."

"Goose," I flashed him a look, "shut up, and get back to work."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Mister Tar was watching the last of the dock workers load stores, when I approached him, "Mister Tar! It's good to have an old shipmate, like Dillard aboard isn't it sir?" He responded in the affirmative, but his mind was elsewhere; as it had been since the day she had left the Relentless, and returned to her ship.

"Sir, Mister Dillard has requested that he be allowed to go a shore, and gather his things. He has a few ladies to say his good-byes, I'll bet." Mister Tar's continence had not changed in all the years I've served with him; I doubt that Mister Dillard will exercise the same restraint. Mayhaps, I thought Mister Dillard could find a lass for the Captain. Then hopefully, we will put an ocean between us and the Rakehell.

I heard Spoons remarks, and that Dillard needed t' go a shore. I wanted to say, "Spoons, I do not doubt that Mister Dillard, has accounts t' settle wit' these ladies, fer services rendered." Somethings do not change I thought. But instead I just said, "Permission granted!"

I was bemused by Dillards situation, and my own. I accepted loneliness as my companion, because I was unwilling to buy a companion; while Mister Dillard had open accounts wit' a woman in every port. Was it so wrong to want a woman to share my bed wit' me, and not have her expect payment on the bed stand in the mornin'?

Before, I could say anything else, Spoons had retired t' the galley, and I was left wit' my thoughts. I was unsure why Ransom had made her earlier advances, but I didn't think it was fer money, or favors.

Goose, mumbling under his breath, left the Captain on the rail and returned to the galley.

Jimmy Cox, one of the Rakehell's topmen, was stirring a pot of stew, and looked up when the cook entered. "Where you been, eh? I aint the cook on this ship, and I got better things ta be doin' than mindin' yer stew."

Goose shook his head, and a doleful expression settled on his face. "I been tryin' ta talk ta the captain, but she'll not heed a word I say. Bit my head off, as usual. Don't know what happened over on the Relentless, but it musta been sumthin' God-awful bad."

Jimmy handed the heavy ladle to Goose. "Here, mind yer stew, and quit medlin' in the captain's business. Like as not, in her current mood, ya get her too riled and she'll have yer skinny hide tossed overboard. And mind, ya burn that stew, and the whole crew will toss ya over the side."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Good man Spoons, a simple fellow. The captain, Mister Tar, seems preoccupied. I must get in his good graces.

The ship is in better condition then I could hope, thanks no doubt to the captain's attention to detail.

Mister Tar has granted me permission to go ashore; so, I can collect my things. I should make time for one more drink, with the ladies as well.

It was time fer the evenin' meal, and the smells from the galley were callin'. No cold meats tonight, fer Spoons had prepared roast beef.

Mister Dillard had departed before dinner, so I would be eatin' alone t' night. Perhaps I should be glad t' have Mr. Dillard, on board again. But somethin' didn't square wit' me, about him. Fer the sake of the crew, I needed t' work well wit' him.

I kept busy on board, hard work leaving little time for thought. It felt good to empty my mind and do something physical. The Rakehell was my home, and she deserved all the attention she got and needed. With a crew of only six, there was no job that eveyone couldn't manage, even if on the short term. And despit my touchy mood these days, I liked my crew, faults and all, and I knew they liked and were loyal to me.

So we oiled wood, polished brass, mended sail, scrubbed decks, replaced worn sheets, and by the end of the day, tired but pleased, I returned to my cabin for a short rest before supper.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I decided t' eat in my quarters. The meal was well prepared, Spoons had served up potatoes and carrots with the beef. When Spoons came by to offer me more food, I refused. I hadn't finished my first servin', Spoons did not look pleased.

I inquired how the crew was gettin' on, and if Mister Dillard had returned? Spoons hadn't seen Dillard, and the crew was enjoyin' the extra ration of ale. The crew would be turnin' in soon, and I still had journals t' check. Spoons and I kept the books. Spoons had once been a purser; he had a head fer numbers. The books were a cure fer insomnia, fer me.

Stones was on watch, now. Needn't checkup on him, but I asked Spoons t' take him coffee, before retirin' fer the evenin'.

Inasmuch as my brief time wit' Ransom filled my head wit' pleasant memories, those memories now robbed me of sleep! Where are those books?

Africa looked at the contents of the bowl Goose handed him. "Was dis?"

Goose bristled. "Stew, wha'd ya think?"

Africa probed the bowl with his knife and came up with an unrecognisable morsel. "Was in dis? I don see anythin' I be wantin' ta eat."

Jimmy Cox and Tunny both took tentative tastes from their own bowls. Jimmy wrinkled his nose. "What'd ya do to that fine coney I brung from town? This taste like sumthin' I'd swab off the deck. I can't believe you wasted my time makin' me stir this swill."

"I cooked that coney proper, I did. Just like me ma used ta." Goose retorted, then to prove his point, swallowed a large spoonful of the gutinous gravey. "Nuthin' wrong with this stew."

Tunny speared a rather grey-looking bit of potato, hesitated, then with a shrug, ate it. "I've had worse, I guess. But I don't know why the captain keeps you on, Goose. And if this is how yer ma cooked for ya at home, I can see why ya looks the scrawny bastard ya are."

Goose stood and glared at the topman. "I'll be havin' no bad words spoke about me ma. A saint, she was."

Jimmy grinned. "Well, yer ma may have been a saint, but you and yer cookin' can go to the devil!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Stones was sippin' the coffee I brought him, when up the gangplank stumbles Mister Dillard. It's obvious he's been drinking, but it appears he's been in a fight as well. He sinks to his knees, and then flops down on the main deck.

"Stones give me hand and let's get Mister Dillard to his feet, and to his bunk before anyone else see's him." Stones reminds me he is on duty, and can't leave his post; but he helps me get Dillard to his feet.

"Mister Dillard, yer going below." Doesn't look like Mister Dillard won the fight either; his face is badly bruised.

Unsure of how I got in my bunk, but sure I didn't do it without assistance, I sat up slowly. I ran my hand along the back of my head, and felt the egg size lump, that was causing my head to throb. My face swollen, and my head aching, I shuffled towards the galley.

Standing in the door way of the galley, I was greeted by the smell of coffee, and sausages. Stones looked up from his morning repast, shook his head, and continued eating. Spoons turned and set a mug of coffee on the table in front of me. I sat and sipped the freshly brewed coffee. Trying to reconstruct the prior evenings events in my head, and wondering if Mister Tar knew I was back aboard? Stones then left the galley without saying a word. I was picking at my food, when Spoons motioned to me and said I was to see the captain, after I finished breakfast.

I left the galley and lingered at Mister Tar's door, for a few minutes, before I was beckoned inside. Mister Tar was pouring over charts, and sipping his coffee. He looked up at me, without pity or scorn, but he looked disappointed.

Dillard's clothes were sullied, and his face swollen; but he was not as bad off, as I was led t' believe.

"I hope yer not seriously injured, and can carry on wit' yer duties." He looked like he was about t' speak, but just gave an affirmative nod. "I've been led t' believe ye was accosted, and escaped wit' yer life!" Again the nod, "Unfortunate, but yer lucky t' be alive. Some in this port will slit a man's throat fer the clothes on his back."

I wondered if that were the whole story, "Mister Dillard, I will not tolerate drunkenness, or brawlin' by any crew member, whether on duty or not. If ye have anythin' t' add, please speak up. If not yer excused t' clean yerself up, and return t' yer duties."

I watched him as he gave me a knuckle salute, an said, "Thank you sir", and hastily exited my cabin.

After dumping the disgusting stew overboard, I stormed into the galley and threw my empty bowl at Goose. Everyone jumped.

"What the blazes what that supposed to be?" I railed. "You've cooked some pretty disastrous meals, but that one takes the prize."

Jimmy laughed. "He says it's the way his ma used to make it."

"Then I suspect his ma was hung. And he's going to follow if he doesn't learn how to make something that doesn't smell and taste like pig-swill."

I thought longingly of the wonderful meals served aboard the Relentless, not to mention the good company. Maybe I could send Goose over to Spoons for a few simple lessons. Anything was better than suffering through another pot of his mother's stew.

"Bring somthing edible to my cabin - NOW!" I left the galley, already composing in my mind the note I would send.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I stood outside Mister Tar's door and winced; not because of the lump on the back of my head, but from his remarks. He thought I was a drunkard and a brawler. True, I had been drinking, but not fighting. If I hadn't followed that lass into the alleyway, I might not have gotten knocked unconscious. If I could remember who would have seen me leave, maybe they could help identify my assailant!

I returned to the galley to ask Spoons for advice.

I hope Mister Dillard fully understood my position; he didn't make any flimsy excuses, I'll give him that. Come t' think of it, I still only have Spoons second hand account.

Some local fisherman traded us some lobsters, this mornin'. Wonder if Captain Ransom's crew is fond of boiled lobster? Best have Spoons cook 'em, Ransom didn't seem all that keen on her galley cook. Hope she'll accept 'em as a peace offerin', better the lobsters in hot water than yers truly!

Best head t' the galley, t' fill this mug, and inquire about the lobster.

From the Rakehell

To Captain Tar

With a fond remembrance of meals aboard your fine vessel, and the many, and recent, less than savory meals aboard the Rakehell, I was wondering if Spoons would be so kind as to give Goose a few lessons in the finer arts of cookery? I know you are busy getting the Relentless ready for sea duty, but I and my crew would think it a great service if Spoons could spend a little time with the poor devil, before he poisons us all, or we hang him.

If this is agreeable to you, then send a reply with Jimmy Cox, the bearer of this letter.

Respectfully,

Ransom

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dillard tells me what was said to him by Mister Tar, and what he can remember from the night before. Someone made Dillard their mark last night, lest it happen again, he needed to exercise better judgement. I insisted he had more than a reasonable chance of remaining a crew member, if he heeded Mister Tar's warnings. Lord knows this is the ship of second chances!

No sooner had Dillard left the galley, then Jacky came in to refill his mug. I wasn't surprised when asked if we had enough lobster to share. I would fain cook for anyone he asked, then he told me where they were bound. I hemmed and hawed, "We can spare a half dozen," I muttered. Jacky seemed pleased with that answer.

I grudgingly, started the large boiling pot for the lobster. I selected one of the small lobsters and five of his smaller kin. Then I threw a couple back and grabbed some larger ones, "They will dine like kings!"

Jimmy Cox stood on the dock eyeing the ship Relentless. Clutched in his right hand was the letter the captain had ordered him to deliver. Stepping a bit closer, he cupped his left hand around his mouth and hailed the ship.

"Ahoy, Relentless. A got a message fer yer captain, ifn he be aboard."

Then Jimmy waited to be allowed on deck.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I left the galley and went topside, t' speak wit' Stones.

A young man approached the gangplank, and said he brought a letter from the captain of the Rakehell. I told Stones, t' let him come aboard. A hungry lookin' lad, I asked him t' wait in the ship's galley while I read the letter, and penned my response. I took the letter t' my quarters..

"She wants wot? Seems things aboard the Rakehell are worse than I thought!" How t' respond...

-----------------

Dear Captain Ransom,

I'm sorry, t' hear of yer crew's plight. Please, accept these lobsters, and let yer crew know there's more from whence they came.

Before yer crew has all deserted yer ship, mayhaps ye would like t' negotiate the terms of yer surrender, say over dinner?

I await yer response,

Jacky Tar

-------------------

I powdered and sealed the letter, and walked back t' the galley. Spoons whispered t' me that young Cox had eatin' like three men!

"Mister Cox, take this letter t' yer captain, and the bag of provisions which Spoons will give ye. Give them t' yer captain wit' my compliments."

Mister Cox, wiped his face wit' his sleeve, said his thanks, and returned t' his ship. But not wit' out grabbin' one more sausage.