Relentless and Rakehell

Jacky Tar

I thank Spoons and Goose, fer wot appears t' be an excellent meal in the makin'. I then led Ransom from the galley, and offered her a drink before dinner.

Ransom seemed pleased wit' Goose's progress, "Send Goose by, from time t' time, t' add another meal t' his repertoire," I said. "Truth be told, Spoons couldn't boil water when he first came aboard, either. But he learned quickly, and thar were no mutiny over meals."

"I'm glad ye recognized my response t' yer letter was a jest; even though it was at yer expense. I've received many a request from a fellow captain, but yers is the first request t' train another ships' galley cook!" She blushed, and I could tell she was grateful.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blushed! I couldn't believe it, but I did. My face felt hot as if I stood in front of an open stove. Gritting my teeth, I ignored the sensation, and let Jacky lead me from the galley.

"I'm sure my crew would appriciate it if Spoons could teach Goose a few more recipies, I just didn't want you thinking we were all starving to death from lack of rations. Our holds are full of provisions, it's just that Goose doesn't always know best what to do with them."

He held out a drink. I took it and gave it a sniff. "What is it?" I didn't think Jacky was the sort that needed a little surity, but I'd had other men try and slip something fishy into my drinks before, thinkin' ta soften me up. "Not that I don't trust you and all, but in my line of work, you learn to be cautious." I give him a big smile, hoping he won't be insulted by the question.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I watched as Ransom sniffed the proffered drink, "Yer glass holds not but Spanish port, but if the bouquet offends yer palate, toss it!" She didn't look convinced; so I took her glass and poured it into mine, I sipped the drink wit' no ill effects, and shrugged.

Feeling that my distrust had been foolish, and that I had indeed offended my host, I picked up the glass and held it out. "Sorry, that was rude of me. I've been out of polite society for too long. I'll take that glass of Port, if you're still willing to pour it."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I gave him a wry smile. "Oh, I wouldn't worry about me slipping something into your drink. I don't find compliant men very attractive — drugged or otherwise. And something tells me you're not the compliant type. Neither am I. I prefer to put up a little fight." I gave him a wink. " Even if it's only for show. As for being polite and proper, well, that can get a bit boring after awhile, don't you think?"

I accepted the Port and put the glass to my lips. The wine was smooth and rich as velvet.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I laugh softely. "I don't think either of us would ever be bored. Our natures are too inquisitive, and our line of work too exciting. And I have never found your company to be anything but...exciting."

That last thought shakes me a bit. I had never admitted it before, but it was true. I did find this man exciting. Which left me wondering just where the relationship would go.

Our eyes met, but I couldn't read his thoughts, so merely commented, "Dinner sounds just fine. What marvels has Spoons taught Goose?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Interestin' choice of words, I thought. While she seemed t' find me stimulating, I found wit' her about I needed no wine, to feel intoxicated.

"An interestin' story, when we told Goose that he would be helpin' prepare 'Toad in a hole', he turned green. I think the poor man thought that we meant t' have him gig frogs, and eat 'em."

"The toad is a sausage prepared in a Yorkshire puddin'. Spoons prepares a gravy wit' it. It's simple fare fer a hungry crew an' their captain."

Goose had commented that he had never seen Captain Ransom in a dress. I almost didn't recogize her myself. When a women dresses like that, she wants something.

I was pleased with Goose's progress, and I credit the success of this meal to him. Time to serve Mister Tar and Captain False Ransom; so, it's time for a lesson in presentation for Goose. I pull out a silver tray, and offer Goose instruction on it's preparation.

Goose watched Spoons set up the fancy tray, but had a hard time helping, as he was still tryin' to figure out just what Captain Ransom was up to. It had ta be some scam she was workin', or why else the fancy duds? He knew it couldn't be a stall until this Spoons feller taught him how to cook, although, after Ransom's reaction to Goose's muther's stew receipe, that might be it.

He shook his head, and went back to assistin' Spoons with the supper, which was makin' Goose's mouth water just smellin' it. If Captain Ransom had a plan, she was keepin' it close to the vest, but Goose still couldn't understand, if the Relentless had somethin' she wanted, why didn't she just give um a broadside, take it, and be done with it.

Women, he thought, who can ever figure um?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

A table in my quarters had been set, fer wot I hoped would be memorable meal. Ransom dazzled Spoons; somethin' fer which I would tease 'em later. Even Goose, who was strugglin' wit' the servin' tray, seemed awed by his captain. Tryin' t' remember my manners, I pulled a chair out fer Ransom. She moved wit' grace, as if she were a refined lady, an' took her seat at the table. True t' form she had dazzled us all.

I sat across from her, an' thanked our cooks for their fine work. They hastily left us, but not 'fore exchangin' the bottle of port for a bottle of Burgundy, which Spoons uncorked. I filled our glasses, an' swirled my glass, waitin' fer Ransom t' speak.

I watched Jacky's expression as the wine was served. I could tell he was waiting for something, but I wasn't sure what. There was a sense of tension in the air, but not a bad sort, but rather something electric - as if sparks were about to fly. To settle my own feelings, I decided to ask a rather mundane question, but also one whose possible answer had plagued me.

Swirling the wine in my glass, I peered through the candlelight. "I must ask you, Jacky, one thing. Why did you refuse my invitation to dinner, yet ony days afterwards, invite me here to your own ship? And don't tell me it was the threat of having to eat Goose's cooking, for I had volunteered to have the dinner catered. What, exactly, were you afraid of?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I'd expected that question would come up someday, but wasn't sure I'd had enough t' drink t' answer it now. I took a sip of the Burgundy, an' answered, "I knew that Sir William couldn't cater yer fete, on such short notice, an' truly even rats won't eat Goose's muthers' stew." I laughed an' hoped my ruse, would change the topic of conversation.

I frowned. "You are procrastinating, sir. Tell me the truth, if you dare."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I was more surprised by her frown than her response, an' I paused t' see if a smile would follow; no smile was forth comin'. I took another sip from my glass, an' casually replied, "I thought we both agreed, crew before self?"

Her frown softened, but she did not seem satisfied wit' my response, an' I did not wish t' spoil the evenin'.

"It was nothin' ye said or did!" I wanted t' reassure her. "I did not think it was the best course, an' I hoped ye would understand." I'm not sure I even understood, I thought.

I gazed in t' her blue eyes, an' looked fer any sign of redemption, wit' that answer.

Blast and damn the man, I thought. Trying to get emotional secrets from him was like trying to mine for gold - a lot of effort, but worth the price? So, between us, what course was the best? Sometimes I thought I knew, then, as now, I hadn't a clue."

I shook my head and leaned back in my chair. "Alright, I won't press the matter. But you know, my...friend, since that's the way you appear to want to keep this relationship...you're going to have to cross that bridge eventually. I don't want our times together to be nothing more than a few glasses of wine and a tasty dinner between voyages, no matter how pleasant both may be."

I took a sip from my glass for courage, then met his serious gaze. "I know you feel something for me, and I for you, otherwise I wouldn't be here, but...but...oh, never mind. "I waved a hand, anoyed with myself. "I'm spoiling the evening by being too serious. Forget it. Let's just enjoy a nice meal, and I'll stop trying to analyse everything you do or say. Agreed?"

I held up my glass in salute, then downed a large swallow, hoping I hadn't caused Jacky to wish he'd never sent the invitation to dine.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom's lady like veneer was wearin' thin, as I watched her empty her glass in one fell swig. So, I had gotten under her skin as much as she under mine. Well this levels the playin' field, I thought.

Her frown had turned t' a pout, an' her now empty glass was beyond my reach. So, I stood up and walked t' her side of the table, an poured more wine into her glass. She smiled, an I bent forward t' whisper in her ear, "Mayhaps ye should sip this glass, lest this dance be over 'fore it's begun." I then tenderly kissed her ear, but did not linger, an thought I saw a shiver of anticipation.

She had closed her eyes briefly, but now they flashed wit' devilish delight. While I didn't want t' dampen her ardor, it was too soon t' speak of feelings.

I returned t' my seat, an smiled, "Let's feast 'fore it gets cold."

While attempting to ignore the tingling sensation that shot through me at the kiss, I glared at my dinner companion. "Are you implying that I might get too drunk to enjoy the dance - which is not a dance at the moment, but more like a fencing match? IF you are going to pour good wine, then you had better expect me to drink it. AND, I can drink you or any other man under the table, so you can spare me the caution."

I gave him my best scowl, but knew for a fact that I couldn't drink a five-yer-old under the table without puking my guts out, so I hoped he wouldn't actually call me on the threat.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Each attempt she made t' scowl at me, was followed by a giggle. Next, her elbow slid off the table, an I suspect that wine on an empty stomach, was takin' it's toll. I tried t' make light of her challenge, "I've never tried drinkin' under the table." I quipped, "Perhaps I'll try it after dinner."

I took a bite of the food before me, an pointed t' Ransom's. Stubbornly she downed her wine, held out her glass, an wobbled a bit. I obliged her by fillin' her glass.

"Ye really should try the sausage wit' the puddin', the lads hav made the best I've ever tasted." I sipped my wine, an remarked wot progress Goose had made. Despite my best efforts t' get Ransom t' try the meal, she chose the drink instead. A change o' tactics was needed, lest I be the one holdin' someone's hair out of the bucket.

I put down my fork, an dragged my chair closer t' hers. I picked up her clean fork wit' a piece of potato, an brought it t' her lips.

When Jacky actually held the food to my lips, I finally realised just how far gone in my cups I was. Not good. I put the full glass back on the table, took a deep breath, and took the fork from his hand.

"I'm not so far gone that I can't feed myself. And I certainly don't want this evening to end up with me chumming over the side. Have Spoons send down a strong cup of coffee, while I enjoy...small, careful bites of this good meal."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Spoons knocked an entered, an seein' the seatin' arrangement had changed, moved my place settin'. I was about t' protest, an move back, when she placed her hand on mine.

"Spoons, do we hav any coffee up?", I asked. Spoons nodded an left t' fetch some.

She released my hand t' pick up her knife an cut some sausage. She was takin' small bites, an I don't believe I have ever enjoyed watchin' someone eat, as much.

When Spoons returned with the coffe, I gratefull watched him pour me a cup. I took a sip, letting the hot, strong stuff settle a bit before taking another. It seemd to help counteract the Port, so I resumed eating the sausage, which was excellent.

Jacky remained by my side, watching me eat, which made me feel slightly foolish - as if he were waiting by the bed of a sick child to make sure they were okay. Part of me admired him for it, but the part of me that hated to be thought weak, wished he'd never had to worry about it in the first place.

I took another sip of coffee, felt my head slowly clearing, and decided that it was nice to be weak once and awhile, if it made a man look at you the way Jacky was looking at me right this moment.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Goose, suddenly seeing the way the two captains were looking at each other, and also deciding that he didn't think it was a good idea for things to go any further, purposely dropped a heavy tray. The echoing clash made everyone jump, and the mood was broken.

Goose figured it was worth the cussing and wipping he'd no doubt get later.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The mornin' light streams through the windows of my cabin, "Aye, right where I left ye." She is lyin' in my bunk, an looks so peaceful when she is a sleep.

Quite a different picture, from last night. I thought she'd bust the skull of that cook of hers', fer droppin' that tray. Thank goodness, Spoons put that whiskey in her coffee. Took t' it like mother's milk, an forgot all about that cook, she did. Slept like a lamb.

I place the mug of spirit free coffee, next t' where she sleeps. Laid out her dress on the chair beside the bunk, an exited the cabin quietly.