LOCKHOUSE AFTER ACTION REPORT

Thanks for the pics, Cheeks. I was starting to think I wasn't there! :angry:

Just a minor correction on my mantua -- it's all wool. There's no lining. Even the high-class ones in museums weren't lined. So I didn't line mine either. The navy blue you see is my mantua. Everything else are other pieces. It's a very simple garment. Almost a robe.

The yellow wool you see is my stays (they're lined with linen). And the burgundy is my outermost petticote (also all wool). The white bits are linen (cap, kerchief and shift).

I cannot say enough about the mantua. It really is an all-purpose garment. It started out as a high-class house dress, but by the 1680s, common women and even beggars are wearing them. So if you want to portray high-class, make a brocade or fine wool mantua. And if you want to protray common, make a plain wool one. They also do the summer/winter switch fairly easily.

They're dead simply to make. And the beauty of the thing is that one mantua can fit a wide range of sizes depending on how you hook up the skirts and pin the front. So they are the ultimate garment to lend to a friend who wants to just come along for the weekend.

I'm actually going to be running some up for sale this month. I'll let you guys know when I have a price...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coffeeline.jpg

Line for coffee

Walking Stick...

In the picture here... the gentleman in the red coat, brown hat, red stocking at the left... has a walking stick.

Anyone know him? Is that the stick?

EDIT: was just looking at the PB pictures... That's Scurvy Hanna... but is that his stick?

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Looks like a fun event. I wish I could've at least came by for the day and watched what was going on. I don't have the gear for participating... yet, but would have like to watch and talked to a few folks to get their inputs. Maybe next year.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Thanks for the pics, Cheeks. I was starting to think I wasn't there! <_<

Just a minor correction on my mantua -- it's all wool. There's no lining. Even the high-class ones in museums weren't lined. So I didn't line mine either. The navy blue you see is my mantua. Everything else are other pieces. It's a very simple garment. Almost a robe.

I do have a question for you, Kass...

Seeing that there is so many 'weights' to wool. What do you suggest one uses for a 'multi-purpose' mantua?

I would love to use 'earth tones'...just want to make sure that I do no swoon too much from the 100 degree heat we get out here in the midwest for summers.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Walking Stick...

In the picture here... the gentleman in the red coat, brown hat, red stocking at the left... has a walking stick.

Anyone know him? Is that the stick?

EDIT: was just looking at the PB pictures... That's Scurvy Hanna... but is that his stick?

As far as I know yes it is his. Here's a good pic of him with the stick from the PB site.

lh06006.jpg

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Looks like a fun event. I wish I could've at least came by for the day and watched what was going on. I don't have the gear for participating... yet, but would have like to watch and talked to a few folks to get their inputs. Maybe next year.

It was alot of fun, and I wish you, and others, could have come out to watch, if not partake. There will be more events in the future, I can assure you. In fact, I think I've just lined up something for next May down in Virginia close to DC.

My Home on the Web

I don't know if that's the stick that was left though. I mean, we noticed it when Mark was packing up to leave. Surely he would have said it was his when we asked.

Cheeky, you can use any weight of wool that you like for the mantua. The one in the Met is a very, very fine worsted -- what we'd call "tropical weight" -- and that will be incredibly cool in the summer.

My mantua was a light melton and it was nice and warm for a November event. Only my forearms were cold.

So you can really use any wool you like.

It was alot of fun, and I wish you, and others, could have come out to watch, if not partake. There will be more events in the future, I can assure you. In fact, I think I've just lined up something for next May down in Virginia close to to DC.

Please say early May. Not Memorial Day weekend!

It was alot of fun, and I wish you, and others, could have come out to watch, if not partake.  There will be more events in the future, I can assure you.  In fact, I think I've just lined up something for next May down in Virginia close to to DC.

Please say early May. Not Memorial Day weekend!

May 19th, at Rippon Lodge. Check the mail list.

<_<

My Home on the Web

I don't know if that's the stick that was left though.

I'm pretty sure I've got that sorted out. Machate thinks it belongs to one of his rangers and said he'd email the guy.

I picked my walking stick up from ebay. Then a year or so later, saw the exact same one for sale in the gift shop at the House of the Seven Gables in Salem, Mass. Gave me goosebumps.

My Home on the Web

And why not, Mad Jack...we had a great time of it!

No criticism intended, love... It's just jolly good to see! :) <_<

None taken, Mad Jack...

It was quite an event...but I can't see how I missed out on the free beer though?! Captain...where was Skittles and I during this free-for-all?!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Some yahoo who called himself "the pirate" and was wearing an old navy T-shirt, came over and said he'd buy me a drink, well I said what about my mates, so he brought over a guinness for the boys. <_<

He was drunk as a monkey and got screamed at by his girlfriend and the waitress... I don't think he even worked there. B)

But it was free and went down like a harlot at high..... Well you know what I mean. :)

B)

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

He was drunk as a monkey and got screamed at by his girlfriend and the waitress... I don't think he even worked there. <_<

But it was free and went down like a harlot at high..... Well you know what I mean. :)

B) Rats!

B) ... Nice...Skittles and I missed out on all the fun!

This is you Rats...caught red-handed!

RieleyBeerhound.jpg

Member of "The Forsaken"

Some yahoo who called himself "the pirate" and was wearing an old navy T-shirt, came over and said he'd buy me a drink, well I said what about my mates, so he brought over a guinness for the boys. B)

He was drunk as a monkey and got screamed at by his girlfriend and the waitress... I don't think he even worked there. :huh:

B)

Rats!

Really? I was under the impression he owned the place, kept saying he didn't make money this way but what the hell.... :huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

blackjohn,Nov 6 2006, 10:54 AM

Well, what are you waiting for.  Get your kit in order and turn out with us sometime!

Soon, very soon....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Staying all day Sunday and working on all those promo shots was a brilliant idea Rats... here's to you! :lol::P;);)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Thanks again. But the pleasure was all mine!

When you have such good folks that fit the parts it's really easy.... Well sort of. But fun just the same!

And to think this is just the start!!

Here's to us all :ph34r:

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Archangel crewe "famous" quote of the event:

Comes from ship's surgeon, Dr. Rats Reiley... whilst helping Andrew March construct the gallows. He looked at the captain and said..

"Damn it John! I'm a doctor, not a carpenter!" B)

Crewe of the Archangel

Hum, I always thought the carpenters were the ones to get pressed into Doctoring, not the other way around.

Anxiously awaiting the rest of the pictures.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog