LOCKHOUSE AFTER ACTION REPORT

Aaargh... looks like it was fun...... just too many "Fancy Dans....." :P

Look at alla those pretty justicorps... and alla that lace............ :lol:

War be th' scum................ :lol:

<sorry bout alla the stupit smilies.....>

Patrick, I think one Fancy Dan would be too many for you! :P

Proportionally, you are probably correct. However, I think you are missing the forest for the trees. For instance, in this pic:

Piratesreply.jpg

We see four armed pirates, not particularly fancy, dressed appropriately for the weather in the colony of Maryland in November, Capt Sterling (fancy, yes) and myself (in the background, semi-fancy, and as I pointed out before, quite dirty).

The scum are there. Just look around. Of course, we COULD have used one more scum... where were you!?!?!

Also remember the scenario. We are a group of pirates... oops I mean merchant seaman... coming into town to sell our cargo and trade with the locals. So different people were dressed according to their station or function in society.

But seriously, we want people to get in garb/kit/clothes/whatever the hell you want to call it and join in the fun! That's what this is all about. Having an event, having people with stuff show up, have fun, make friends, drink some rum punch around the campfire, etc. So I really hope these pics inspire someone to go to Kass' website, buy some patterns, make some stuff, and show up next year to an event. Either this one, or someone elses. It doesn't matter. Just get out there and have fun and look good!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The walking stick is most likely Black John's.... from the pic of him at officer's call. That's the stick that was found unless someone had basically the same stick?

Yes we have finally gotten back from 14 or was it 17 hrs of travel :lol:   :lol:   :P   :P

Yes I'm dead tired but was having a blast!

I have about 600 pics to work on now........ No rest for the wicked!

Here's to  ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... (sleep)

Rats!

No, not mine. I'm pretty sure I know who it belongs to. It was floating around the fire Saturday night, and some thought it to be an accursed treasure left behind by the fish-eyed indian tribes who inhabited the area of old. I offered to take it, but my companions said best leave it in hopes the rightful owner turned up on Sunday.

I'll pass along the word of its location.

Thanks.

Glad you arrived safely at home. That's a long drive. I hope you you had a wonderful time at the Lockhouse, and my apologies for not having a chance to get to talk more with you.

My Home on the Web

I was secretly having the same thoughts as Pat, John. But it's not the pirates I thought were overdressed. It was the townspeople. I mean, come on! We're supposed to be a village on the Susquehanna River in 1696, right? Why were so many women dressed for a society ball?!?!?!?

Mantuas, people. Simple wool mantuas. And proper caps. Cover your bleeding hair!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I was secretly having the same thoughts as Pat, John.  But it's not the pirates I thought were overdressed.  It was the townspeople.  I mean, come on!  We're supposed to be a village on the Susquehanna River in 1696, right?  Why were so many women dressed for a society ball?!?!?!?

Mantuas, people.  Simple wool mantuas.  And proper caps.  Cover your bleeding hair!

Ok, I did see some of that. But wasn't that mostly from the visiting RevWar folks? It could be they didn't know what to expect, and decided to dress as "pirates."

:lol:

My Home on the Web

Mostly, but not exclusively the Rev War folks. There were people at the event who had the opportunity to read your scenario and still overdressed. I'm sure they didn't think about it though.

I just remember getting out of the car on Saturday and seeing people and thinking, "No one in the entire colony of Maryland had that much frooferrah!"

My message is this: think about where you're supposed to be as well as when. And always err on the side of dressing more simply.

Why were so many women dressed for a society ball?!?!?!?

Sociologically speaking... mating rituals!

No, seriously. Even when reenacting we are still human beings, animals. With that comes all the associated behavior. People want to look good (definitions of good vary by subculture), and since we don't have feathers we... wear feathers!!!

:rolleyes:

Pretty funny when you think about it. Of course today, you wear feather you are going to get your ass kicked.

:lol:

Anyway... I didn't really specify a code of dress. And if this was a miniatures game, some people would've been individual commanders, while others would've represented 10 people.

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

Mantuas, people. Simple wool mantuas. And proper caps. Cover your bleeding hair!

yes Kass, but it does no good if you don't find any *pictures* of the ladies that should be wearing those mantuas now does it. I could probibly reconstruct each of the mens coats in my sleep but have yet to see a picture of the front of your dress, hint hint.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Well since we are just starting out, our stuff is all brand spanking new... although Dogge and Beach managed to start downgrading their's in one evening....as to Mr. March's stuff, he is actually very careful with it, because it is mine, but being a successful privateer officer, he pretty well looked his part.... I know Skittles was trying hard to dirty up her new petticote... :rolleyes: And her coat was not even period but she really is a work in progress and clothing that was offered as a loan just didn't appear... oh well, life happens and you roll with it.

Aging takes time, although we do have some very coarse clothing in thought for a different look.... but unless you're an artist at "aging" it usually looks just that...faked....

Also we dressed according to personnas, which have been quite thought out in detail, although they are still a work in progress... we had no instructions to be dressed as Marylanders...nor did we expect to have some of the crew turn around to be civilians, although the guys are extremely "bendable" and they had a blast doing what they did this past weekend. These things just kind of "occurred" when Andy, Blackjohn and I started brainstorming on what to do... We now have added executioneer, parson, goalers, etc, to our list of what we need.

But with time our crewe will be ready for almost anything... our goal is to be able to portray anything from Successful privateer all the way on down the line to piss-poor pirate... as well as every possible civilian type role....seeing we've only been up and running since Feb. we still need a bit more time to get it all together... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Mantuas, people.  Simple wool mantuas.  And proper caps.  Cover your bleeding hair!

yes Kass, but it does no good if you don't find any *pictures* of the ladies that should be wearing those mantuas now does it. I could probibly reconstruct each of the mens coats in my sleep but have yet to see a picture of the front of your dress, hint hint.

Hint taken, Chole! And guess what I'm working on writing today. Thanks for the nudge! :rolleyes:

Oh, I have several lovely shots of Kass/Lizzy in their mantuas, Chole!

And a really good front shot of Kass' mantua too, but I need to down load my 260 photos from my digital camera this past weekend yet... just give me a day or two to get them together!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I agree also about the dressing ups and downs and the need to be flexible.

Our 1st two skirmishes had a horde of pirates and about 5 militia. which is why I went civie.

I know we all want to be the glorious pirates. But the truth is we have to do the scene so it looks plausible.

I know everyone (even the guys) want to be the bell of the ball and wear their best. But when you dress down and can switch personas, you become more flexible, plus you don't have to worry about ruining your "good" stuff. But I also think the common dressed folks are much more versitile and easier to cast for character roles.

I also I'm sure the ladies had no clue they would be recruited to participate. But I'm glad they did, because their screams and their presence greatly helped the presentation.

OK gotta go eat and feed the the triplets!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I always think it's best to err on the lower end of things. Even very wealthy people dressed down sometimes (as evidenced for the plain wool coats we have in museums thanks to the donations of noble families). So you can play a variety of roles if you're dressed simply -- everything from common labourer to local administrator.

But once you're over-dressed, you're stuck. You can't be flexible. And that's no fun. Plus it looks like "all chiefs and no indians"...

Hint taken, Chole! And guess what I'm working on writing today. Thanks for the nudge! ;)

oh oh, I love guessing games.

*ponders all the great stuff that Kass could be working on*

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Oh one more fun bit regarding said event... FREE Guinesses at the pub!

Ratsonaroll.jpg

Gee do ye think the Doc is happy?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

And why not, Mad Jack...we had a great time of it!

No criticism intended, love... It's just jolly good to see! :) ;)

Well thank you! I do manage occassionally.... For our first official event I was really, really proud of my lads and ladies... ;););) there be none better in my book! ;););) The free drinks were just the icing on the cake!

Here you go Jack, different event but I'm sure you would appreciate the Cousin It photo! ;)

DCP_0362.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

Ah, the smile is inferred; so delightful, good Captain! Huzzah! :o :)

;):o I had just won "most gruesome looking pirate" at the Blackbeard Festival Ball... when nominated I was a bit upset as I had on my best suit, until Cheeky pointed out..."They mean your face stupid, not your clothes!" Then she blinded me with a flash from her camera... couldn't see to get down off the stage! :o:o:o

Crewe of the Archangel

Okay CrazyCholeBlack,

Here are two shots of Kass from this past weekend. Her wool/linen mantua of dark navy blue, burgundy and pale yellow really looked great!

Kasswithsabandmillie.jpg

Here is another shot of her promoting her first love….chocolate! If you look closer, you can see the detail of her stays.

WickedgoodKass.jpg

Seeing the groups goal is to incorporate all social classes..I need to purchase the pattern and make one for myself! Oh, so many things on the ‘To Do” list right now. I have a feeling that me and my sewing machine will become the best of friends this winter

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I think that this is a neat concept. That is, moving from being "just a bunch" of pirates", to being able to portray a swath of 18th Century society, from beggars to the upper classes.

This really moves the ball forward to real living history. No one of course is "stuck" doing any one particular thing.

As this event shows, during one moment you could be called on to be a coffee house patron, the next, observers at a hanging, and then raiding pirates...

Interesting. It will be interesting watching this progress.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!