Master and Commander

Okay, the movie "Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World*" is coming out in November. It's got big ships, big guns, some nasty privateers... any buzz? Any thoughts? I've had the book on my shelves for years but I've never gotten around to reading it. Anybody read it?

*Despite the title, I understand that Gary Larson was not consulted during the production...

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

It's happenin'.

A long time Aubrey/Maturin/O'Brian fan here, I've been tracking this movie for a very long time.

The fact that it was originally slated for release in the early summer, then delayed 'til August was the only thing that seduced me into watching that silly glow-in-the-dark pirate skeleton thing.

Uh oh. I mean that excellent Depp vehicle.

Oh well, never mind.

Can't wait. I was actually interviewed as an extra about two years ago for it, but couldn't due to my military obligations...damn them Revenue Cutter types...

However, I've been trackin' this flick for quite some time an' I hope it does quite well. I don't know what Royalieste is saying about not hooking us with the first books. I was hooked when I read 'em, a good script and producer would have hooked us with the movie. Maybe, though, since they couldn't use the Lady Washington for this one, that for a prequel, they would use her as the Sophie. I know she's not flush decked, and probable not quite big enough, but she is so pretty. Isn't that all that counts for Hollywood?

Plus, it would make a victory over something like the Grand Turk, HMS Detroit, Endeavour, Niagra , Bounty or the Rose that much more amazing.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

T'is hard to believe that any seadog, that has a care fer anything nautical, has not read Patrick O'Brian! I've heard tell that afore he died he went aboard The Lady Washington and said she very close to his vision of Audbry's ship. To much grog has made me forget if she be the Sophie or the Suprise that he was refering to. If ye've not started reading Master and Commander start now! You know how hollywood can tear up a good story all in the name of box office receipts.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

several of the crew and extras were from my harbor. Love O'Brian, but, bad politics regarding the extras....example: two day's sail for one shoot, mucho overtime, only paid for actual screen time...500 bucks!....bad deal,.. good flick....soundtrack now available from the Royaliste....as soon as my burner lives again!....

I've heard tell that afore he died he went aboard The Lady Washington and said she very close to his vision of Audbry's ship. To much grog has made me forget if she be the Sophie or the Suprise that he was refering to.

I hadn't heard that he visited the Lady Washington. If he did, it would be resembling Sophie, though if I remember correctly, Sophie was a flesh-decked brig, whereas the Lady Washington has a prominent poop deck, as well as a small quarterdeck. I have seen pictures of him on the Rose, which of course is playing the Surprise. It might have been that ship he was referring to. Of course, I could be dead wrong, but all the times I've sailed the Lady Washington (many times after his death, as well as before), I haven't heard that O-Brian was ever aboard.

example: two day's sail for one shoot, mucho overtime, only paid for actual screen time...500 bucks!....bad deal

Heck, I've sailed for week upon week without pay. $500 sounds pretty good. Plus, for only two days of work? Heck, I get about $725/month, and only get to take home $380 of that. And it's much less enjoyable than sailing a tall ship off Mexico (or anyplace warmer than CT at this time of year)

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Frankly, I'd say those guys have absolutely nothing to complain about. They actually got way *over* paid if they received 500 dollars for two days worth of extrawork on that movie. The combat trainers who taught most of the extras how to fight and take reactions weren't even making that much! Maybe that ought to put in perspective.

Regards,

Mario

As a huge fan of swash buckling adventure... and Russel Crowe, he's an excellent actor (ok, and gorgeous ;) ), I'm SO EXCITED about the release of this movie. Its got wonderful direction behind it and I've heard that the soundtrack is amazing! I'm pulling for Oscars in this one! I think it'll be great! Definently on par with 'Gladiator'!

;)

Do not fear death but the life unlived! -CV

http://www.historicalroleplay.com

Mario- A clarification as my post was incomplete. 500 for the entire filming, (and comp. plane fare)..not a very good deal, on any currency exchange. And to the best of my knowlege, the 'Rose' is still on hold for round #2...And, since I forgot, yes, the soudtrack IS awesome!....turns CD player to 11...

Capt. Gary

Just so you should know Mario (a freind of mine) was one of those fight trainers who made less money than the extras. He even spoke lines in a few scenes (yelling orders in French) and I don't think got any extra pay for that! Not even eligable for a SAG card!

I hope you don't mind my speaking up Mario. But if I can't speak up for a friend (that goes for you too Gary) what can I do?

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I gots a friend whose father is obsessed with the series, so he's really excited 'but the film. I keep hearing Billy Boyd (who played Pippin in the Lord of the Rings films) is in it, btu for the life of me, I've seen not a hair o' him in it. His character's name is Barrett Bonden.

A while ago, sometime in February, there was a Fox promo DVD that came out with highlights of their latest films. It had clips from Daredevil, LXG, X-Men 2, Down With Love, and Master and Commander. From the behind-the-scenes stuff, it looks accurate and an entertainin'; just fun film in general. The actors look enthusiastic, and confident in the finished project. I know me and me pyrate buddies are gonna go.

Gladiator, mmm. Love that film. Dunno if M&C'll be up in the Oscar race this year, but I hope not, as I'll hate to see Return of the King will beat it down! :ph34r: Even though it'll be the third Russell Crowe film in a row in the Oscar race...

One question: Master and Commander is the name of the first book in tha' series, but isn't The Far Side of the World the title of one of the books LATER in the series? Just curious.

Captain Wolfy Wench

several of the crew and extras were from my harbor. Love O'Brian, but, bad politics regarding the extras....example: two day's sail for one shoot, mucho overtime, only paid for actual screen time...500 bucks!....bad deal,.. good flick....soundtrack now available from the Royaliste....as soon as my burner lives again!....

Ahoy Royaliste!

I be readin yur posts on the soundtrack. Who be the composer? Might be one of the great ones? Horner, Zimmer, Williams?

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

• 2 weeks later...

Royaliste;

Thanks for the clarification and sorry I took so long ot get back to this thread. I was pretty shocked to think they made 500 a day but when it includes plane fare and overtime for working two days that's a bit more like it. Hope the film does well. So far 25 million!

Maria; it seems I did make a few more bucks comparatively after all. But just barely. ;-)

Mario

It was just under 200 a day before overtime (which there was always a bit of) but we did get some nice perks too. Still, not stunt pay ... Luke and those guys made the big money. Have you seen the film yet? You can spot Luke being kicked and cut as Russel descends below decks and I'm shot just before the pike charge. I also happen to be in the pike charge a second later. :D

Mario

When I first heard they were going to do a Movie called Master and Commander based on the Book of the same name...I went and bought it. It was a difficult read...lots of terminology, but after I learned the lingo...it turned out to be a very good read. I have not Read Far Side of the World (Should I read the books in order, or does that not matter??) but maybe after I see the movie, I will pick it up.

Take care all...Glad to be back. ;)